It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting It All Together: A theory of historical proportions involving WA,ID,MT,WY,NV,OR and CA.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I don't like your subduction map with the two red lines Westcoast. Everytime I've looked at that southern red line I've felt sick.
You're doing an amazing job and I love reading your theories. Thanks for all the work you do.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Thank you! Just to stress...although I still believe we need to be paying close attention since it seems so active there on the known fault, and my suspected subduction zone (just my theory mind you...that swarm is in a known cladera, so there could be other implications ofcourse)..this could just be another period of many of unrest and settling.

It is just with every article I read regarding the subduction zone, the san andreas and other structures on the West Coast....they all seem to be pointing to a dwindling timeline...years now instead of centuries or decades.

It is a great big unknown and I'm just afraid it'll stay that way until the day something, (or all) give!

For those just picking this up....please read the OP and then if you only read one other post, please go

HERE (previous page)

Where I give a bit of a summary and update on things.

With the new posting rules, I can't quote those posts. They are too big.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

WOW.....what can I say? You have done your due diligence in a way we can all understand. I have questions...

Like...

What does the middle (New Madrid) have to do with what is going on ..on ...the West Coast? Can you please explain in detail how it ties in with your theory which by the way I totally believe you have it all figured out!!

Also, what are your thoughts on the Newest swarms in New York and Virginia?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Well MamaJ....trying to tie in the possibility of the new Madrid and all the other current odd quakes takes a lot more speculation. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of that!!
But it requires a bit more imagination and ofcourse, room for lots of error.

I have attempted to widen my view a bit more with my recent update, and go more with my intuition. I just keep coming back to a closed ecosystem. Cause and affect. I know that sometimes an earthquake is just an earthquake (to quote a recent critic
) but I think anyone with an open mind has to also realize that perhaps there is a lot more inner-connection and yin-yang going on with these quakes than anyone knows. (or can prove)

I have been trying to think of a good analogy for how I picture our continent. Even saying that, I realize my view is still narrow, because I am limiting myself largely to the continental US, vs the North American Continent....but baby steps.
Anyways.....I'm struggling to put my thoughts into cohesive words, but I will give it a try (for you!)

Imagine a piece of clay. You know, that nice grey kind that you used in school to make those lopsided cups and ashtrays back when they were still fashionable table pieces. So....take a nice chunk of it and roll it out so it is more or less of even density and a flat oval roughly the shape of the states. Now...imagine taking a knife and scouring a line from top to bottom...a little off-center to the right. Don't go quite all the way through, but a little over half-way. Do the same thing to the left edge (about where the san-andreas would be)

Here is the tricky part. lay it on a table. Hold the right side with your hand, or place something solid up against it so it won't move. Take a ruler (or something similar) and shove it up under the whole left edge of clay...about a 10th of the way in or so, also pushing up. What happens?

Ofcourse..this is a very rough analogy. To make it more accurate you would also pile some more clay on top where the mountain ranges are, you would draw several thousand more 'cracks' to represent the other known major faults. Then there are areas of greater and less depth, making the surface more vulnerable to 'giving'....etc. I mean, you could get really intricate, but my main point here is to keep to the basics and greatest forces at work.

When I think of the stress placed on the North American Continent by the Pacific Plate, it's got to be great. Enough to form the Cascades. I'm sorry, but that doesn't happen without having an affect on the rest of the landmass. I don't care if there are mountain ranges, rivers, etc. in-between. What do you think caused those mountain ranges, if not from Glaciers? Plate tectonics, volcanics.

So this is what I am thinking when I try to take in the possible scenario of these odd quakes being connected. Going back to my analogy, what would happen to the New madrid when enough force was placed on the landmass to the West of it? When you have something solid, with a weakened area...well, that area of weakness is going to give. Now...with these quakes we are seeing, if you were to abscribe to this theory, you would have to understand that these could be evidence of small amounts of energy being displaced and transfered. Our continent is riddled with faults, all results of said stress. Why is it so far-fetched to then think that the quakes on the East Coast, could be indicators of stress being placed on the West Coast? And that perhaps the greates area of weakness (other than the San Andreas) is the New Madrid?

The more I look, read and yes, think
, the more sense it makes to me.

So I did I completely confuse you???

edit on 30-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Hahahaha.....no not at all. I now think I have a better understanding of what may cause the New Madrid to stress out and crack under pressure.

This is of course logic but I didn't have it until you gave it. Ha!

I am a believer that all things are related when it comes to tectonics and volcanic activity.

The Mountains became mountains because of the said two above....for sure!!

You are awesome and your works show this...thank you so much for the clarity you give. xoxoxox

Jenn

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Well good! And thank you.

I was just coming on here to post an interesting comparison of the live GEE seismos for Long Valley Caldera and the San Andreas:

( Long Valley at Mammoth Lakes the top two, San Andreas the bottom two)

Be sure to scroll to the right.

Just now some really wierd quake and sig at the mammoth lake station. I'll be back in a sec with a screen shot.

ETA: Here it is.

The top three are all the same station, different channels. What's up with all the ground movement??
(bottom one is the san andreas)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Definitely something going on. The "North Atlantic Ocean" just had an EQ.... 4.7

I am not sure I have ever seen an EQ here before since I began "watching" in Dec. of last year.

Are you familiar with EQ's there?

I guess I need to go and check it out. Makes you wonder if it will set something in motion in the States.

Ha! Never mind....I see where it is now and it has seen lots of activity!!
edit on 30-8-2011 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Looks like a nother swarm just starting up SW of the one on the San Andreas.

list

map

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Has this newly discovered [active] fault been added to the list yet?

Mount Hood, the tallest mountain in Oregon, has a secret, scientists revealed. Covered by trees and plants is an earthquake fault that stretches for miles from the iconic mountain.

The fault appears to have been recently active, and could be an earthquake threat today, reported the Portland Oregonian. Scientists said the last time the fault ruptured, possibly as a magnitude 6 or 7 earthquake, the ground ripped six feet (1.8 meters) apart.

The fault was discovered by scientists flying over Mt. Hood using lasers to scan the terrain. The fault is about 20 miles (32.2 kilometers) long and stretches from the northern flank of Mount Hood to the Columbia River.

Link

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Just to butt in here for a sec, but could one of you
well informed ladies clue me onto a link where I might
find EQ history for any given location/fault line, & possibly
what any given fault is capable of magnitude wise?

Thanks WC for this thread. I've learned enough to keep
me awake sometimes, being in So Cal after all.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Wow! Wish I could give you ten stars for that one! Great find...and only hours old.

I have noticed quite a lot of quake activity down that way the past or so.....I would assume this could be a key reason.

You see...this is just the kind of stuff I am talking about. That is quite a fault. Capable of producing 6-7 mag quakes, with major ground movement. That's kinda a big deal, especially so close to an active volcano. I know, I know, there are those that argue quakes do not cause volcanos to erupt.....but try telling that to the scientists that studied Helens and determined it was a quake that set off the big one.

here is a good link to info on Hood, inlcuding current quake lists. Keep in mind though, they only include the quakes whithin a certain radias, so I would imagine there could have been several on that fault that may not be included there.

I just wonder how many more of these fractures are laying around under us???

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by don rumsfeld

Well USGS is always a good source...if you can navigate your way around. Thing is, there are some sites that are better suited for different areas of the world. I always find it a bit difficult.

HERE is a page at USGS that allows you to search a certain area based on long/lat.

I use this feature sometimes if I have a current quake, and then plug in the current quakes long/lat with a given radius (say 100 km circle) to search their database. It's fun to play around with, lots of options.

Also, here is an example of the secondary maps you can select from the info on any given quake for USGS. You see there they have a historic map. These are very useful to see what the historic seismicity is like for the region.

Anything more specific, and I'll try to answer for you. Puterman also has a wonderful website. I think we have to be careful with off-site stuf...but just take a look at his sig line.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Ah there we are! Thanks for taking the time, I had a hell of a time
searching USGS.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Magnitude
Date-Time
Thursday, September 01, 2011 at 15:29:50 UTC
Friday, September 02, 2011 at 03:29:50 AM at epicenter
Depth
14 km (8.7 miles)
Region
SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND
Distances
25 km (15 miles) E (99°) from Christchurch, New Zealand
230 km (143 miles) SSE (152°) from Westport, New Zealand
296 km (184 miles) SSW (210°) from WELLINGTON, New Zealand
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 16.1 km (10.0 miles); depth +/- 9.1 km (5.7 miles)
Parameters
NST= 29, Nph= 43, Dmin=27.8 km, Rmss=1.47 sec, Gp=187°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=5
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0005muu

Christchurch anyone????

Yeah it does seem like it WC. Picking up and would not be surprised if something cracks today in the 6's and 7's. Wait and see and ...of course....hope and pray today is a "good" day.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Okay, so I got caught up today with the very odd story out of Hope Ranch Beach near Santa Barbara, California.

Thanks to THIS ATS THREAD I found out about the 'smoking hillside' there. It would seem that this once before back in 2006. The temp in places is near 120, and is thought to be volcanic...

Here is a youtube video of a local newscast there:

ALso, here is a local news report on it, including a thermal picture of the rocks:

Link to local news story

Here is a MAP showing where it is located in relation to surrounding California.

No, this is not some dutchenese (or whatever he calls himself)...but legit news. Strange stuff.

Add to that the moderate quake that happened just miles from there this afternoon:

USGS map of quake

Magnitude 4.3

Date-Time

Thursday, September 01, 2011 at 20:47:07 UTC
Thursday, September 01, 2011 at 01:47:07 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

34.343°N, 118.481°W

Depth 7.4 km (4.6 miles)

Region

GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA

Distances

6 km (4 miles) SE (133°) from Newhall, CA
7 km (5 miles) NNW (328°) from San Fernando, CA
8 km (5 miles) NNE (14°) from Granada Hills, CA
8 km (5 miles) SSE (164°) from Santa Clarita, CA
39 km (24 miles) NW (326°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA

Location Uncertainty

horizontal +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles); depth +/- 1 km (0.6 miles)

Parameters

Nph= 28, Dmin=4 km, Rmss=0.25 sec, Gp= 68°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=4

Source

California Integrated Seismic Net:
USGSCaltechCGSUCBUCSDUNR

Event ID

ci11001205

There have been several more quakes since....

Quake list

More quakes rattle the Mammoth Lakes region and san Andreas:

map

So while thankfully nothing major has happened so far (remember this geology, just because nothing has gone boom in 24 hrs does NOT mean this is nothing
)

I must say things get curiouser and curiouser

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Hey everyone, posting here because this has the most recent activity. TMiddleBrook has a new post on the Arkansas thread! I'd post on all the pertinent threads if I knew how to do multiples. No time to do them one by one! Pertains to California.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

That is a strange story, and it was even stranger to watch the sprinklers that they used when that happened in 2006. Wish I knew someone who was in that area in 2006, so they could let us know if it is the same this time, or if it is something different. Can sprinklers put out a volcano?
Not that I think there is a volcano there, hopefully it is from coal or oil.

There is also another new fault near Mt. Hood, closer to the Bonneville Dam. The dams in Oregon were not built to withstand larger earthquakes, because everyone always said there are not earthquakes in Oregon, which is kind of true. However, it seems that when there are earthquakes in Oregon, they are big, at least that is what they have said about the past.

Lidar imaging revealed another fault near Mount Hood that runs to within a mile or two of the Columbia River Gorge, which raises questions about the earthquake resistance of hydropower dams. "None of the dams were designed with this kind of fault in the analysis," Madin says.

Of course they weren't, because there are no faults or earthquakes here.
None of the infrastructure in the Pacific Northwest was really built to withstand large earthquakes, so I hope that never happens.

Link
edit on 2-9-2011 by PacificBlue because: add text

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Okay, since I haven't posted anything here since prior to the 6.4 quake in Vancouver, I want to link the two threads I think applicable to this theory....where I have been spening all my time this past week.

First, the thread about the 6.4 quake:
Is the 6.4 quake a fore-shock?

The second was a thread I started based on a mysterious poster that was banned. This thread was subsequently moved to the hoax bin, but is still VERY much alive and just might tie into everything:

thread about a warning from a mystery poster

So here you go. Happy reading!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I hope you don't mind? I came across this and though you might find it interesting.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Ofcourse I don't mind! Interesting video...according to the comments, there were controlled burns going on at the time...I have seen something similar before with forrest fires. They really do resemble plumes and it is hard to tell the difference. I would think that if there were that many volanoes going off, there would be lots of people seeing it. (I would hope!
)

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join