It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting It All Together: A theory of historical proportions involving WA,ID,MT,WY,NV,OR and CA.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Add another to the list:

MAP 3.3 2011/06/25 18:36:11 35.924 -117.741 5.2 CENTRAL CALIFORNIA

It look's like it's getting closer to the big one ?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hiya WestCoast and readers.

I need to give huge props to Robin Marks for posting this article in one of the other big threads. I snagged it this morning and haven't had time to read it until now, so forgive me. He posted it in either Quake Watch or Volcano Watch, or even perhaps both. Anyway...

This ties into this theory so much, I have to share it here.

Comments from the U.S. Geological Survey are sparking questions about a potential volcanic eruption in Imperial Valley that could bring clouds of ash to San Diego County.

"Most definitely… Volcanic activity is possible," said geologist Pat Abbott.

Abbott was part of a research group that collected footage of muddy pits and volcanic gasses about 100 miles east on the southern end of the Salton Sea. The area is the home of four buttes that are several hundred feet tall.
The buttes are small volcanoes with an explosive past. Miles below them is a pool of magma that is 15 miles wide. About 8,000 years ago, the buttes erupted, causing magma to flow which cooled into obsidian rock.

The damage from those eruptions was limited to the surrounding area, but if a major earthquake hit along the San Andreas Fault, geologists said there could be trouble.

Really interesting article... a bit more to read, so take a lookise.

Source - San Diego News - Volcanic Eruption Near County Possible

WC... You are on to something huge here and you know you are! And now Science is finally starting to admit these things.

So a huge "you go girl" from me, to you!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

redneck is gone? just saw him a few weeks ago on here.

great post op! s&f.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

Thanks UtahRoseBud! I still hope I don't get the chance to find out in my lifetime if all of my theory is accurate

VERY interesting article, to say the least. Yes, it wold tie in nicely I think. I especially like this quote:

Though ash clouds like those seen in Iceland last year is a remote possibility, a geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey recently said in an article from the Palm Springs Desert Sun that "I would not anticipate an Iceland eruption, but we didn't anticipate Mount St. Helens either."

This is why I enjoy Geology so much. The true Geologists are able to admit that when it comes to stuff like this, there are NO absolutes and NO ONE has all the answers!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Amen, sister... amen!

There are way too many of them who attempt to state fact after fact. When IN FACT, the true answers are simply best guesses. Guesses based on studies and history of recorded events. That volcano that erupted in Africa was a shock to the entire Geology community. If that wasn't enough of a wakeup call for them... well lets just say, I'd prefer to not be around when the real wakeup call comes.

I hope something like that never happens over on our side of the planet. I also hope that more people realize that Mother Nature is the one who is truly in control. If she decides to give us any warnings, heed them, listen to her carefully and thank her for the notice. Respect her word. It is HER world, not ours.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Outstanding thread, you deserve applause for all of your efforts. Your theory does make sense, and I think that you are correct when you said that all of the information is there if you just look for it and put it together. It is making the connections that can be challenging, and you have done such a great job putting it all together.

This is not science, but the Indians tribes in the NW believed that the volcanoes talked to each other, and this would back up your theory. The link below mentions the Cascade range if you page down, and I have also read similar stories from other Indians tribes in the Pacific NW.

The Battle of Two Chiefs: Mount Mazama and Mount Shasta

The Klamath Indians of the pacific Northwest tell a legend about a fight between two chiefs. Llao was the chief of the Below World and was at Mount Mazama in Oregon. Skell was the chief of the Above World and stood at the summit of Mount Shasta in northern California. The two mountains are only a hundred miles apart. As darkness covered the land the two chiefs threw rocks and flames at each other. Llao, injured, fell back inside of Mount Mazama and was never seen again. A huge hole was left where he fell into the Below World. Over time, the hole filled with water to make Crater Lake. Volcanologists now know that Crater Lake is a caldera that formed by large explosions and collapse about 6,800 years ago. From Vitaliano (1973).

Link

Wanted to add-not trying to scare anyone, as I do not think the above will happen or at least if it did we would have earthquakes or other events beforehand. Many Indians survived these events by relocating, or we would not have these stories. And they are only legends, no proof of what really happened, or when.

Also, thank you to everyone for the amazing pictures.
edit on 28-6-2011 by PacificBlue because: sp

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Westcoast,since this is your most recent Thread (and it is somewhat OnTopic),i´m gonna post this here as well,to make you aware of it.

Huge rock avalanches rumble down Mount Rainier

The events were big enough to register on earthquake sensors, and seismologists at the University of Washington called the park to see what was going on.

Though impressive to bystanders high on the mountain, the rockfalls and the muddy flows they spawned don't pose danger to park visitors or people living downstream by the Nisqually River, said Jim Vallance, a volcanologist at the U.S. Geological Survey's Cascades Volcano Observatory.

Mount Rainier has unleashed massive mudslides, or lahars, in the past. But the current avalanches are tiny by comparison. Nor is there any hint of volcanic activity, which would be required to trigger a lahar from Rainier's south side, Vallance said.

So nothing to worry about for now. Some of the Quakes that were picked up were probably from this,but don´t take my Word for it

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PacificBlue

Thank you so much for your input! I find the Indian legends always educational. I think of them as our earliest re recorded history for this area.

That connection between southern Oregon and northern california most definitely ties into the theory.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Great find! Thank you for that, I had been wondering about those signals. Been watching them for a few days now. I almost posted about it. But I always hesitate to speculate about rainier. I figured it was probably avalanches. To find out they were mud and rockslides is kinda scary after the show I recently watched on it. Those are one of the BIG warning signs to watch for. So far it sounds like the experts are saying no worries ...but I'll be keeping a close eye on it!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by Shenon

Great find! Thank you for that, I had been wondering about those signals. Been watching them for a few days now. I almost posted about it. But I always hesitate to speculate about rainier. I figured it was probably avalanches. To find out they were mud and rockslides is kinda scary after the show I recently watched on it. Those are one of the BIG warning signs to watch for. So far it sounds like the experts are saying no worries ...but I'll be keeping a close eye on it!

Personally I was leaning towards them being warning signs, myself. Now that the "experts" are saying no worries... I'm leaning so far over, that I might just fall!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

LOL..I'm with ya on that one.

There was a bit more 'noise' up there today, but not as much as before. They (PNSN) have one 0.8 quake listed for the 28th, but that's it so far.

Of note are the deep tremors for the past few days. They have been largely clustered to the North at the Southern end of Vanouver Island....so be looking for another largish (4-5 mag) off the Northern coast of Cali or Southern coast of Oregon.

I'm still looking through the seismos for the region for today...let ya know if I find anything.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

S&F for this fascinating thread that presents a likely scenario(s) regarding the subject at hand.

This is how you write a thread about the subject. None of the usual "OMG, we're doomed!" rhetoric that I've seen in other threads.

I do have a question though.

If this zone expands further down into California, what are the odds that it could trigger "the big one" within that state? Forgive my ignorance but it has me wondering.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Hi there! Glad you are enjoying the thread. I have had a great time exchanging ideas with other like-thinkers here...what I love abouts ATS!

As to your question....YES. Actually, I'll take that question a lot further and say that what is generally accepted as 'the big one' in California, if this theory is correct, will not simply be the San Andreas Fault un-zipping. (although that would certainly be catastrophic enough)

Remember, I think that it's possible the San Andreas Fault is a symptom of the real problem. A much bigger problem. If the San Andreas goes...it would be from a massive shift in the subduction zone spanning the length of California. So not only would you have massive destruction from the San Andreas, but also from a mega subduction zone quake, major land upheaval and tsunami from the drop just off-shore. Then you have the calderas that could be triggered, just in case the quake and tsunami didn't wipe you out. This would have major to destructive affects on pretty much the whole state of California, a good chunch of Nevada, Oregon and parts of Washington State/Canada (remember I think it is all one long subduction zone). This would also extend down through the Gulf Of California (in mexico) so there would be massive issues at the border too......

Pleaese keep in mind that this is a theory....I hope it is wrong, but based on what I have read and now seen happening I really think there is potential is correct either in part or whole. hopefully pressure is being released in bits and pieces so a major event is being prevented. It just seems to me that volcanic and tectonic activity is on the increase world-wide, that it is/will work it it's way around and so far we (on the West coast of the states) have been spared. How much longer will/can that last?

For those that believe in the bible and prophecies, I think it very likely this would also hold true to events foretold. I don't really want to get into that here, but there are plenty of threads of talk about it. Remember this theory when you are reading about it and keep in Mind Vegas would most likely be destroyed in this scenario.

I believe that geologists have to at least suspect the subduction zone theory...I mean, the evidence is all there. I think our authorities are playing a big game of russian roullette. Our economy couldn't survive the outcome that this revelation would cause. Could you imagine?? Silicon valley, vegas, sacramento, los angels, some of the largest military bases in the country. Inport/export, hollywood....I could go on, but I just don't think our government could afford to tell the truth.

Think about it.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I always enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and "expertise" with us.

2nd line...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
A BIG thanks to ATS member Buni11687 for this article. This is big. It's about a new study just released that says there is more at work in our plate tectonics than we think. *DUH*
Rather than try and explain, it will be easier to quote the article instead:

ScienceDaily (July 6, 2011) — Bringing fresh insight into long-standing debates about how powerful geological forces shape the planet, from earthquake ruptures to mountain formations, scientists at Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego have identified a new mechanism driving Earth's massive tectonic plates.

Scripps scientists Steve Cande and Dave Stegman have now discovered a new force that drives plate tectonics: Plumes of hot magma pushing up from Earth's deep interior. Their research is published in the July 7 issue of the journal Nature.

Using analytical methods to track plate motions through Earth's history, Cande and Stegman's research provides evidence that such mantle plume "hot spots," which can last for tens of millions of years and are active today at locations such as Hawaii, Iceland and the Galapagos, may work as an additional tectonic driver, along with push-pull forces.

SOURCE: New force driving earth's tectonic plates

If you are interested in this, be sure to read the whole article. It is very interesting.

I say this is big because it changes the whole deck guys. It would mean so many other possibilities, including a tie-in to my theory. I would speculate that although not mentioned in this article, Yellowstone and Toba could be possible hot spots also.....which would give a whole lot of credence to our volcanic zones being related in part or whole. I am talking possibly whithin a continent or perhaps the whole world. The implications are HUGE.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I'm bumping this because I know this is a long thread and I don't want this new info to get overlooked. I think it is really important!

I just have to say this again too....I think that if the West Coast 'goes', it is going to be Southern Oregon and all of California (parts of Nevada) that takes the brunt of it. Once again, I think the San Andreas is a symptom of a bigger system that is primed and ready to rip.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Adding a bump for ya too. This information is incredible and definitely deserves to be read!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'm a little iffy on whether I should post this information in this particular thread... but considering it all, I figure it's as good a place as any. Hopefully get to a few folks who can read it and learn something.

WC... I won't double post and put this in your Washington thread. However if you feel it might be related (per your theory about magma offshore), it could be beneficial there as well. So feel free, if you are so inclined.

This is about underwater volcanoes... and new discoveries. Considering how vast our oceans are... do we really have a clue as to how many of them there might be lurking out there?! I have read that there could be anywhere from 2-4 million undiscovered under water volcanoes. Amazing when you think about it.

Scientists from British Antarctic Survey (BAS) have discovered previously unknown volcanoes in the ocean waters around the remote South Sandwich Islands.

Using ship-borne sea-floor mapping technology during research cruises onboard the RRS James Clark Ross, the scientists found 12 volcanoes beneath the sea surface -- some up to 3km high. They found 5km diameter craters left by collapsing volcanoes and 7 active volcanoes visible above the sea as a chain of islands.

The research is important also for understanding what happens when volcanoes erupt or collapse underwater and their potential for creating serious hazards such as tsunamis. Also this sub-sea landscape, with its waters warmed by volcanic activity creates a rich habitat for many species of wildlife and adds valuable new insight about life on earth.

Speaking at the International Symposium on Antarctic Earth Sciences in Edinburgh Dr Phil Leat from British Antarctic Survey said, "There is so much that we don't understand about volcanic activity beneath the sea -- it's likely that volcanoes are erupting or collapsing all the time. The technologies that scientists can now use from ships not only give us an opportunity to piece together the story of the evolution of our earth, but they also help shed new light on the development of natural events that pose hazards for people living in more populated regions on the planet."

Source - Science Daily - Underwater Antarctic Volcanoes Discovered In The Southern Ocean

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner! I find this very interesting, and not at all surprising. I think in the begining of this thread I linked to an article discussing the underwater volcano found not too far off-shore here, newly discovered a couple of years ago. I think they are another HUGE piece to the puzzle.

Thanks for the link!

Also..just to update. I haven't written much here lately because there haven't been any big changes. Lots of activity down in Southern Cali...right where I think the Southern end of the subduction zone goes down through the Gulf of California. An interesting quake here this morning out on the peninsula. I started a seperate thread on that, because I think there is the potential of it being significant. My eyes are still open....

t
edit on 24-7-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

Pleaese keep in mind that this is a theory....I hope it is wrong, but based on what I have read and now seen happening I really think there is potential is correct either in part or whole.

Yes, only a theory. But one that's getting stronger with each new post.

Following with great interest

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join