It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergent Music ‒ Otomata, the New Groove (Celluar sound automata)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sippy Cup

Really, really nice the way you got them to behave like gears. It produces very cool random ear-cookies. Thanks for sharing.

Totally addictive. I am hooked.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Mishmashum

Nice. I have been able to get them to do this by getting one going and then causing it to collide with another going the opposite direction on the same track.

Check out this heavy bass set up...

earslap.com...

Also wanted to show a variation on the heavy bass setup that I like a lot. It seems to be the one so far that creates the most 'solos' from the cells that I have been able to devise

earslap.com...

And the inverse of the above...
earslap.com...
edit on 17-4-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I'm glad to see people sticking to the spirit of the thread.

Originally posted by Mishmashum
reply to post by Frater210

That first one's pretty kickin! I'm finding I really like the simple beats. Here's another one I'm pretty happy with,

earslap.com...

and,

earslap.com...

That last one is incredible. I left it running in the background while doing some paperwork. I don't think it ever looped. Amazing! Honestly I didn't expect I'd like procedural music so much that I'd continue to listen to it, but you guys beat my expectations.
Big thumbs up!
edit on 17-4-2011 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

For people wanting to record their creation to MP3/WAV etc you can just download audacity and then follow these guides (Win + Linux).

www.wikihow.com...

liquidat.wordpress.com...

And another ... www.earslap.com... . Too good!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

So .....check out these 3 notes that collided, and bounce back and forth rapid, I honestly and still trying to figure all that out.

earslap.com...
it happens when the two notes make it to the bottom. 12s

edit on 17-4-2011 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Nice find Op!

S&F

IRM

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

Wow, this is great! You've found something that will lead a lot more wasted internet time! This has made my day, www.earslap.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
OP this is a great addition to my favorites list. THANK YOU! (S&F)

Originally posted by Frater210

Check out this heavy bass set up...
earslap.com...

Also wanted to show a variation on the heavy bass setup that I like a lot. It seems to be the one so far that creates the most 'solos' from the cells that I have been able to devise
earslap.com...

Have you listened to these playing at the same time, i accidentally left one window open and then clicked your next link and i have listening for about 10 minutes now

Cant wait to hear more stuff off this thread and see how this program evolves

P.S i think i just lucked out and got good timing when i started the next selection...
edit on 17-4-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Nice pattern.....

Here is a few a I came up with,

earslap.com...
earslap.com...
earslap.com...

well that was all fun, just needs drums, and more sounds.....

edit on 17-4-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sippy Cup

That was amazing. The way it drops beats randomly is really nice. Could you post the set up for this one? If you set it up and do a screen capture before you start it we can see the starting position for the blocks. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
earslap.com...

This was an interesting activity. Thank you, OP

EDIT:
I really enjoyed the result of this placement:
earslap.com...
edit on 17-4-2011 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is amazing! Hours of fun. But from a music producers point of view which I am, I don't really like the idea of machines making music

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerMoose

After reading your comment I couldn't help but think, "I, for one, welcome our new musical robot overlords."

Waiting around for Portal 2 to unlock ( www.aperturescience.com... ), I've been toying with more bass-oriented configurations. This one's got a good tune to it:

earslap.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
My first post ever, that's really cool tech!!! Also it's nice to meet another Majesty fan. I'm really big into procedural content. Wikipedia's got a great list of games with generative technology ... en.wikipedia.org... . I'll report back when I make a song worthy of listening to.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Call me crazy but I am sure that I heard some riffs by the band Tool in that one video as the blocks started off

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Newbomb Turk

Cookie for you! I was wondering if anyone would figure that out.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
every single different one I make is more groovy then the last. i'm jamming with this.

earslap.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
www.earslap.com...
I have been listening to this one for a while and haven't gotten tired of it yet, must be a gooder ha ha. i like making interesting symmectical ones right now

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

how can you mention cellular automata and not mention rule 110?
Rule 110

There are 4 classes of cellular automata.
class 1 - produces basic checkerboard patterns
class 2 - produces arbitrarily spaces streaks
class 3 - starts to become more interesting as recognizable features such as triangles appear in the pattern in random order
class 4 - the most famous example being Rule 110. This one however produced the "aha experience". and resulted in wolfram dedicating over a decade to this topic. Class 4 rules produce surprisingly complex patterns that do not repeat themselves. We see in them many different types of artifacts however the pattern is neither regular nor completely random; it appears to have some order but is never predictable.

Why is this important? Keep in mind we began with the simplest starting point: a single black cell. the process involves repetitive application of a very simple rule. From such a basic rule we see complex and interesting features that shows some order and apparent intelligence.

110 in binary=

edit on 4/17/2011 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Great addition.
If I remember correctly a lot of Wolfram's ideas on a computable theory of everything were a product of his work with cellular automata.

156o and 0x6E !

An homage,
earslap. com/projectslab/otomata?q=156o 0x6e 110 110 01101110

and,
earslap. com/projectslab/otomata?q=156o 0x6e 110 1232 1101110

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join