It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Saucers?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Keneth Arnold, in 1947, reported seeing several flying objects which, in manerism, seemed similar to objects skipping off a lake. This was the birth of 'flying saucers'.

Since then, many people have reported seeing flying saucers.

BUT, the term saucer was a description of the movement, not the craft. So, why, after that description, did so many people see saucers?

I think it is a bizarre coincidence. ALL ET's MUST have gone home and redesigned their craft to suit our perceptions! Or not.

So, my question is, why do we see saucer shaped craft in so many instances of alledged ET activity?

edit on 16-4-2011 by Mark4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
For a few reasons, I'd imagine.

Many natural phenomenon such as planets or man-made creations (experimental planes) and photographic artifacts that are mistaken for ET-based UFOs have a circular shape to them.

It's also possible that the popular media (movies especially) that were produced following Arnold's sighting and which featured saucer-shaped craft primed the expectations of people, leading especially suggestible people to see saucers everywhere.

Then again, the saucer does seem to have some promising aerodynamic potential, so it's possible that UFOs may actually be saucer-shaped crafts.

Most likely a combination of all those things.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I know that most people see disc shaped UFOs but when I was younger I remember seeing one that was black and shaped like a giant anchor (the classic one from sailors tattoos).
This anchor-ship slowly traveled across the football field and then took off at full speed as my brother and I watched it from the balcony.
Oh, and it was a clear blue sky day and the ship was pretty low.

As for why I think they're are usually disc shaped... Well, since the invention of the automobile, very few manufactures have swayed from the "shoe-shape", so why would another race make much crazy changes to their vehicles?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I think its the aerodynamic properties. multi-directional movement with little to no resistance.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mark4
Keneth Arnold, in 1947, reported seeing several flying objects which, in manerism, seemed similar to objects skipping off a lake. This was the birth of 'flying saucers'.

Since then, many people have reported seeing flying saucers.

BUT, the term saucer was a description of the movement, not the craft. So, why, after that description, did so many people see saucers?

I think it is a bizarre coincidence. ALL ET's MUST have gone home and redesigned their craft to suit our perceptions! Or not.

So, my question is, why do we see saucer shaped craft in so many instances of alledged ET activity?

edit on 16-4-2011 by Mark4 because: (no reason given)

So your debating the existence of aliens based on the fact that once one person said "saucer" so did a bunch of others. So....... your saying that if there are aliens, there is only one species out there, and that they are incapable of having more than one design of a ship..... just wondering, do you know how many car models the humans have made over the course of the last 50 years?

"I think it is a bizarre coincidence. ALL ET's MUST have gone home and redesigned their craft to suit our perceptions! Or not."- seriously? get some imagination.... we are talking about aliens right? How about "so i guess there must be more than one type of alien out there and/or the "greys" who are supposed to have hundreds of year of tech on us...... have multiple models for space ships..... just as we have multiple models for.... everything; ipods, video game systems, Vehicles......

Damn dude.... if your gonna be such a block head and go into my thread and spam the crap out of it..... with something completely unrelated to me and my topic..... try not to have other posts out there that show how little you really think about what your saying/doing.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

Although it seems to me that more and more sightings are of triangle-shaped crafts. That goes back to my earlier post about some people at least seeing saucers because they expected to see saucers. The popular UFO narrative seems to be more focused on triangles -- makes me think people will be looking for triangles and see them more.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpkmets

Although it seems to me that more and more sightings are of triangle-shaped crafts. That goes back to my earlier post about some people at least seeing saucers because they expected to see saucers. The popular UFO narrative seems to be more focused on triangles -- makes me think people will be looking for triangles and see them more.

I know that there at a lot of triangle UFO sightings at the moment, but there as also a lot of Hyundai Elantra sightings lol.
Whats I mean is that its possible that the new triangle UFO might just be their new popular model of ship.
edit on 16-4-2011 by Fishticon84 because: redundancy

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jpkmets

Sometimes I think that it is possible that when the eyes detect something very strange the brain assigns it a shape that helps to make it more familiar. In this way it may be that if some part of our brains expect "saucers" that is the shape that we will see when we spot a UFO.

The simplest example of this that I can think of while not completely demonstrative of what I speak does help to illustrate the brains control of what we see is this:

Hold your hands out at arms length and eye level with your index fingers pointing in at each other. Bring the tips of your index fingers together so that they touch. Leaving your fingers like focus your vision on a wall across the room. If done correctly you will see your fingers merge and appear sort of like a little sausage I suppose...
edit on 4/16/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by jpkmets

Sometimes I think that it is possible that when the eyes detect something very strange the brain assigns it a shape that helps to make it more familiar. In this way it may be that if some part of our brains expect "saucers" that is the shape that we will see when we spot a UFO.

YUP - YOU GOT IT!

10 out of ten for intelligence!

BUT, that doesn't really answer my question...

why do people see saucers? it's a simple question!
edit on 16-4-2011 by MARK5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Ha at ET bringing it inter-stellar in some busted old Hyundai. Always figured them for at least a Delorean with a flux capacitor.

Point is taken that there is no reason that Grey Chevrolet couldn't be moving from Saucer to triangle models -- just really never figured ET to be a consumer society like us. I mean, if the saucers were able to trek across the cosmos, surely they weren't in need of a radical redesign.

Then again, they did seem to crash those saucers quite a bit. Maybe they had handling issues.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

reply to post by jpkmets

That's pretty interesting.
So then that would be like our mind working like computers do (which makes perfect sense since our minds created computers).
A computer doesn't KNOW what a "teapot" in a game looks like but it but it has a predetermined image assigned to it that is displayed to the user when it knows that the user is now "viewing" the area where the "teapot" should be.
Its like we are programmed from day 1 to know how things should look, regardless of what they actually are and how they "look" in code or ether.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Yes, this is exactly what I was getting at -- albeit far less effectively -- in my initial answer. I think the constant repetition of the image of the saucer-shaped craft in film and other media in the decade following the Arnold/Roswell reports gave us a preconceived archetype to apply to any mysterious visions we came across.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MARK5

reply to post by jpkmets

YUP - YOU GOT IT!

10 out of ten for intelligence!

BUT, that doesn't really answer my question...

why do people see saucers? it's a simple question!

Could be a triangle just spinning really fast.... who knows..... maybe some of the ships are actually saucer shaped, thus why people see that when they look at it. I don't know why you think its a simple question, its a short one..... but the question is no more simple than the answer. Isn't really simple when no one can really give a 100% proven reason behind it..... so yeah....

link   

That would be a process that is in line with Jungian theories of archetypes and the collective unconscious, I do believe. Interesting thread.

link   
I tend to think they are round because of how the gravity accelerators work. Their arrangement allows them to direct the craft in any direction whatsoever, and at the same time provides such a dampener that the occupants have not even an illusion of movement. How do I know this? I have been on such a craft, back in 2001. It was surreal and quite out of this world, windows wherever one wanted them to be, and easily movable to anywhere one liked. The walls and floor where all one piece, and the furniture. for lack of a better word, came right up from the floor. I will never forget it, and I will never again think the same. The beings I met were kind, and benevolent, and answered my questions, for the most part. The looked like me, but were slimmer, and taller. Sorry I got off topic, it just came out.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I tend to think they are round because of how the gravity accelerators work. Their arrangement allows them to direct the craft in any direction whatsoever, and at the same time provides such a dampener that the occupants have not even an illusion of movement. How do I know this? I have been on such a craft, back in 2001. It was surreal and quite out of this world, windows wherever one wanted them to be, and easily movable to anywhere one liked. The walls and floor where all one piece, and the furniture. for lack of a better word, came right up from the floor. I will never forget it, and I will never again think the same. The beings I met were kind, and benevolent, and answered my questions, for the most part. The looked like me, but were slimmer, and taller. Sorry I got off topic, it just came out.

Proof? Or, even vague proof???? lol

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MARK5

I started this topic as Mark4...

it was pretty evident from the outset that this was a 'freaky believer only website'. And now i'm banned!!!! lol

to all you freaks... keep fantasasing... it's all you have!

UFOs... phah!

Conspiracies.. phah!

healing crystals... phah!

#ing nutters!!!! lol

wierd people you all! (except the sane ones)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Having a round design probably lets them take off in any direction without having to turn around or reposition the craft.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join