It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is rap "music" dumbing kids down?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Sorry, my face and voice stays off the internet.

Besides, I don't have anyone to write my lyrics or music for me. I simply told you what I don't like about it, I didn't go into detail about. I understand you being a fan of it, to bad you can't realize that not everyone is going to like the same things that you do.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Its a sad day when you are called ignorant for not liking something.

Yet you typed out a lengthy post doing just that in reply to someone for not liking Metallica?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

It's ignorant because you say you don't need talent to rap.

And the truth is, it requires some level of talent or skill.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

I could care less if you don't like the music I like, that's not what im talking about, it's when you attack someone elses choice of music and say that the artists within that genre aren't real artists when you clearly don't know the process it takes to compose that type of music. Oh and why would you need someone to write your lyrics? A real rapper composes his own lyrics and beats. If you can't do it than surly someone else that can must have the talent to.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think the title should be changed to "is mainstream music dumbing kids down".
Most people are clearly judging rap by what they hear or see on tv and radio (even though many members claim to never watch tv)

Mainstream music is the problem. Its all crap. I believe theres great songs in almost any genre (maybe not pop) you just have to find the real "artists", not the typical clones that we get bombarded with every day.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by cLOUDDEAD

Originally posted by Becoming
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Its a sad day when you are called ignorant for not liking something.

Yet you typed out a lengthy post doing just that in reply to someone for not liking Metallica?

I reread my post several times and can't find anywhere in it where I called anyone a name.

Look, I don't like rap. For the same reasons I don't like death metal. I don't have to be an expert on the genre to know that it is not appealing to my ears and in the end that is the only thing that matters when one listens to music. I cannot find one redeeming quality about rap and since my wife listens to it, I have had many many oppurtunities to find one.

If you don't like my opinion then tough, if you don't like how I put forth my opinion then tough, you will get over it.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthwormJim

i disagree my friend just take a listen to the likes of immortal technique or lowkey or sabac red or even brother ali they try to inform us all of the rights and wrongs of our political system so thats got to be a good thing surely, mainsream rap along with all the mainstream music in general is dumbing down kids and making them want all the clothes that they wear but dont say that rap in general is bad.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
After Biggie Smalls, all rap music became dumb.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrGonz
I think the title should be changed to "is mainstream music dumbing kids down".

That is a major issue within the rap game the industry individuals vs the underground individuals. See the industry cats will sell you all the fake. Meaning they will have fake rides fake jewels and fake pretty women who don't have a bit of integrity to them except to have it rain or snow on them. The underground recognize the industry rappers and do their best to avoid becoming industry even though it lowers their financial chances of success. they remain REAL as its called for not selling out for the fame and extra dollars to show off to the youth observing. The underground rappers will let it be known their hardships and will put it in the lyrics how hard they struggled to get where they are and how deadly it was as well. Industry rappers don't give a care about who is listening just about sales of their garbage no matter how bad an influence. You just gotta be into that realm of music to fully understand it. The most powerful of rappers have tried to lower their rich or boozy ways due to them seeing the economic changes globally, the ignorant or ignet lol will wear millions of dollars of jewels to show off their financial wealth and be broke a few years later allowing the followers to see what they really are FAKERS. In some ways I support the movement because as a youth I remember hearing certain lyrics no matter how gutter they were delivered that would encourage me to follow my own path and do my own thing not try and follow like the rest of the wanna beez and I would be a liar if I said some of it didn't help me to become more aware of real and fake. Which is why the rap game has became so strong because of the real/ fake movement that basically caused many fakes who follow to find ill fates due to their fake activities as well as strengthened a part of the populace to go out and NOT HATE because hating on another's wealth or success basically makes you a faker, which makes sense. You see another man or woman doing well for themselves and you envy or hate on them. Which if the hate is strong enough will cause the hater to rob manipulate or even kill the individual that is being hated on just because they wanted what the other had. This is a reflection of some of the lifestyles in many urban communities and due to the NO HATE keep it REAL movement embedded in the rap game many caught on and instead of killing or robbing the next successful individual its been taught to go get your own and don't hate because haters don't win they lose. Which supports the real fake movement real go get theirs fake always try and take everybody else's. So there is some positive influences in the rap game just many more ignorant greedy influences. I grew up listening to it along with many other types of music. So to see it cause the hate to be challenged and overruled was nice to experience. Because I do remember when there was a time when you could get killed for your Jordan shoes. Then it switched it the urban mentality to go work hard for yours and get it how you live.

Ok ATS thats RAP 101 for ya lol...

edit on 4/15/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

That sums it up perfectly.

Probly get flamed for this but heres an example of artists un touched by the industry still "keeping it real"

This is aussie hip-hop for all those wondering haha

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthwormJim

Nothing "dumbs" you down. People dumb themselves down. To the extent that folks modify their behaviors to conform to a societal norm represented by rap stars, that is a conscience decision and they are being allowed to do so by their parents. That behavior is being enabled by the schools, but it is not the music, they are doing it to themselves.

Many forms of music are thematic. Back in the day I listened to a ton of '70s heavy metal and more than a ton of Blue Oyster Cult. It did not make be worship the devil or pray to aliens, nor act in a manner that would have suggested that I did.

If anything is dumbing these kids down it is societies willingness to tolerate this illiterate and antisocial nonsense they call a culture.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I swear that all the GANGSTER rap is dumbing kids down, making them do things they usually wouldn't. But good rap music like Wiz Khalifa and people related, influence kids to CHASE THEIR DREAMS. I am chasing my dream and I am only growing stronger and getting closer.

So not all rap dumbs kids down.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
is rock dumbing kids down

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I just had to reply to this, Cause i guess im what you would probably refer to as a white rapper....eminem wannabe... just like stereo types always go. But Dumbing down? No! for instance I have a verse goes like:

An echo Heard far as the beating of drums
carries cross the vast seas
resonates 'till its numb

from its dawn it is heard
from the east desert sands
from the western world cities,
to the barren waste lands.

A hammer and beat cause the voices to rise
in petitions for peace,
over ascending war cries

distinct in their tone, yet however in sound
come dis-similar moans for resolve to be found

in a pounding of waves, we advance in a swell
while we're accompanied by, all the torments of hell

the blood of suspense, will be pulsating with red
if the forces of earth ever came to a head
We cant afford another world war,

no more, no gore, stop the killin' for the cash
and send them boys home!

****Now i may not be the greatest, but I am a college graduate, with a major in english. I worked for years with a rap group that sent negative messages a lot. but now im solo, So im takeing things my way! Check Out My Page Here!

I will be bringing much much more political views, I was raised in a political family... so i guess you can say that in itself RUINED politics for me. But check out the page and LIKE it on face book! lolol

Sorry for the cheap plug! But i was trying to prove a point if used well, Than any kind of music can be GOOD!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
No its not rap thats dumbing people down, It's rappers like Lil' Wayne, Birdman, garbage like that thats dumbing people down. Now rap before 95? Thats a whole different story. Knowledge was actually promoted, they used actual words haha, and you'd be surprised at the rappers that mention the Illuminati and the NWO. Rappers today are pawns to create confusion among the easily led.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The quality rap was back years ago. It actually took talent to be able to rap. The lyrics were actually meaningful. Rap now might be dumbing people down but it didn't in the past.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Skate

do you know why they call it 'THE AMERICAN DREAM'? its because you have to be asleep to believe it. dont be decieved my friend.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Its about entitlements....

So let me axe you question mane? Wit deez entitlements, and da speech impediments, do you honestly tink we be dumber?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm tired of reading post after post so i'll just put my opinion. Mainstream music sucks hairy balls and has zero vision. Mainstream music is for profit. It doesn't matter what genre you listen to. If its on the radio 999 times out of 1000 it's pure crap. I'd like to also note that mainstream music in general is dumbing down kids period.
edit on 15-4-2011 by religiousmurder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The thing is every human needs some kind of music and rhythm. All tribes dance to a beat of sorts. Personaly I feel it has to do with the water in all of us, just a simple google search on tibetian singing bowls and cynmatics will show a great deal also look up quick frozen snowflakes, sounds effect the structure of water. When you hear a song and you get that chill up your spine or back of your neck.... I speculate the song is resonating with the level of water you have in your body, thats why in a room full of people maybe only one will get that feeling and why people like certain types of music.
As for hiphop, Im half English half Iraqi and as a teen grew up listening to snoop dogg, dr dre, wu tang clan ect left school in 95. I used to wear hip hop style clothes ect. Im 31 now and I have over 20gbs of Hiphop I dont listen to because its full of #. It really is that simple I know why I used to "listen to it" it was cool, but now I wish I woke up 15 years ago from the MEDIA NIGHTMARE which is culture programming. I mean if all you see and hear is a bunch of people saying that the only way they could make it was by pimping or slinging dope. Then poor people have basicly being told by the state/government programmed teachers that there only prospect is in retail or refuse pick up! You wonder why the world is full of crime ect. Via the media we have been tought that its cool " pimp a hoe" and carry a gun.
And yes maybe people were in a bad situation and they rapped about it originally (Grandmaster flash, dont push me) but as soon as people saw it could make them money they jumped on it like a bag of dog Feces on fire.
Yes I still listen to some hip hop, Imortal tech and people that do have something educated to say that is relavant to many not just a few.
Dubstep is something to nod to with out bullmanure
edit on 15-4-2011 by Drunkenmonkeee because: forgoot to mention dubstep :>

edit on 15-4-2011 by Drunkenmonkeee because: took out the word #

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join