learn more

Is rap "music" dumbing kids down?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthwormJim

If its taken as entertainment then thats what it is some groovy music to vibe out to. If you take what the artist do or say they did and try to mimic it then you have dumbed yourself down and fell for the following aspect of the music DONT BE A FOLLOWER. So if you are a follower it will expose you if you are real and dont care bout what they the rap artist are doing in the real life then you can enjoy some hip music and keep it moving.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think just about every genre of music has been accused of "dumbing down" the public.

Unfortunately hip hop gets a overly-critical judgement by the masses because a large portion of the lyrical content is nonsensical (boasting about how hard they can party, how much ganja they can smoke, how many cops they can kill, how many fancy whips are parked in the driveway of their mansions..etc...). But just like any other genre, there are really great artists who do convey messages worth paying attention to. Just about every radio station in my area is dedicated to contemporary/pop and there are actually 2 stations dedicated to nothing but hip hop...and sadly, no rock. The premier rock station of Dallas (97.1 KEGL, the Eagle) was bought and transformed into a contemporary oldies station. But there's a hip hop station every other setting.

Perhaps it has to do with music itself. Music is such and important part of every culture on the entire globe that it deserves investigation. Music, I believe, has a major impact on a persons mood and aura. I feel completely different when I listen to different types of music. Which is why I choose not to listen to hip hop. No just my mood, but my whole persona. I can almost take on a completely different identity depending on what I listen too.

I personally believe this ties directly into theories involving auras, vibrational states, and the like. Music is vibration, and if everything in the universe deals with vibrational states, then music is way more important than we give it credit for.

And speaking of lyrical content, one artist worth checking out is A Perfect Circle. It's rock, but one particular song, Pet, describes the NWO to a T. Many will argue that it's about drug addiction, but it's an open iterpretation. I'm a musician, and if I wrote a song about washing my car, 50% of listeners would say it's about washing my car, and 50% would say it's about cleansing my soul.

Take a step back and look at the big picture. Hip hop/techno/industrial rock... almost reminds me of...hemi-sync...

music is a powerful tool

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Nope it's not dumbing kids down.............
They were already that way when they started listening to that garbage.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by contrafear
Great response.I remember reading something about psychologists not understanding what music does to the individuals mind mood etc..I also believe music is way more significantly powerful than people think when projecting purely.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Rapmusic of this era isn't racist but I do agree, it promotes a lot of bad traits.

Its also a generational genre, meaning you have to stay in a certain age group ( 15-21 mentally) in order to enjoy it.

The minute you move from that age bracket, you will lose interest. It promotes egotism, and self-delusion. Not self-delusion for the attaining of a particular goal, but self delusion even of constructive criticism. (You're just a hater.Stop hating, he's making his money. He got money)

That self-delusion then leaks into other areas of life. It promotes disrespect period. The point of a rap - battle is to completely humiliate your opponent with words. Yeah, people shake hands and hug to give the appearance of it being in good fun, but it isn't... I've heard them battles, they go for your heart every round. In it's baby stages it was rebellious but that was okay because it sprung about in a time when rebellion was needed.

Rap is pretty much a generational genre that keeps the minds of people on the border of adulthood, and adolescence.. and it has nothing to do with the physical or financial or social... It's a cancerous mindset.

For example, this guy P.Diddy: He's damn near in his 40s and look how he acts
www.youtube.com...

...Yeah.

edit on 15-4-2011 by Q2IN2Y because: (no reason given)
edit on 15-4-2011 by Q2IN2Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
rap is fun to kill time.

we use to rap during community service to make the time go by faster.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Q2IN2Y
I totally agree about the delusions.I would check that vid but I just ate.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed
Thank you sir for getting right down to business.The world always needs a smack of ol truth.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

At least all the music eras and genres that you listed managed to keep their pants in the approximate area of the waist using belts, what is it these days that we need to see bums hanging out, if you're lucky you only get the top half of each cheek but whats with the waistband UNDER the buttocks? Really Cool...NOT!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

once one learns even the basics of real music, one learns rap and hip hop (as fun as they are) are not real music.

I have to disagree with this

There is a book out called How to Rap: The Art and Science of the Hip-Hop MC , it goes in depth on different artists and how they write their lyrics, I promise a read though of this book and you will never look at Hip Hop or Rap the same way (that is if your looking at the good stuff to begin with)

A rapper must learn how to control his breath, must develop rhythm and timing, be able to use extended word plays (such as metaphors. double entendres, alliteration, and so on)

It's just that so many people are use to "Party rhymes" that they forget Hip Hop and Rap take skill aswell.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by IIIiIIIIIIiIII

The same thing applies. The media puts forth bands like Metallica and Limp Bizkit, calling them 'Metal' or 'Rock' and feeds the kids with all the crap they have to offer.

I agree with you on limp bizkit, thats why they was only a flash in the pan.

But you are out of your mind with putting Metallica in the same category. The media didn't have anything to do with the rise or staying power of Metallica. For the longest time radio wouldn't play their songs and fans was the ones who fed the info to other fans. Eventually, through their constant touring, their fan base got to big to ignore anymore, but that took like 4 years and cost them one guitarist (Mustaine of Megadeth). No wonder he's pissed, he did all the work and was booted before they became a jugarnaut.

I forgive you though, you're probably just a youngster that has only looked at the last couple of metallicas albums and figured thats what they always have been. I suggest you listen to their stuff up to the mid 90's. Plus, St.Anger wasn't bad, just differant and was unfairly dumped on.

If you don't have time or resources to check out the other albums then here is a small list to show you how wrong you are.

Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
One
Unforgiven (the first one)
Sad but True
Blacken
God That Failed
Master of Puppets
Nothing Else Matters
Seek and Destroy
Ride the Lightning.

That should get you started. By the way Metallica is Thrash not rock or metal. They are one of the big 4 or thrash along with Anthrax, megadeth and slayer.

On topic.

Rap might have been pretty good early on, but know its mprphed into a cancer that we can't get rid of. I just hope its terminal.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Feel is what it lacks
edit on 15-4-2011 by EarthwormJim because: (no reason given)
edit on 15-4-2011 by EarthwormJim because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Rap might have been pretty good early on, but know its mprphed into a cancer that we can't get rid of. I just hope its terminal.

ugh I wish you people would quick basing your opinions on the mainstream of rap, there are plenty of groups around that still speak truth and wisdom within their rhymes.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

ugh you don't have any idea what I have or haven't listened to.

I don't like rap at all, I don't like the way the music is made or the way the lyrics are "sung". That goes for the older stuff as well. You can take all your breathing exercises that they have to do and throw it out the _ There isn't any talent in speaking fast. Unless of course if your an auctioneer.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
rap = narratives synchronized with beats. jazzed up poetry basicly.

i think every rapper should stop trying to write music, and write a book.

theres really no variation, at all, except with lyrics. which to me puts it in the genre of literature for me....not music or art.

and i happen to listen to a lot of rap, mainly the types already posted. although i dont consider any of them "Artists" as i dont see rap as "art". once one learns even the basics of real music, one learns rap and hip hop (as fun as they are) are not real music.

its kind of along the same lines as the front cover of a book.you wont find a book in an art museum just for its front cover image. books are judged by the ideas contained within, not by the art on the front cover.

i feel the same about rap. musically it cannot go very far.

9 times out of 10, the "artist" cant tell you anything about the production of their "beat" let alone be able to play it given the correct instruments. hell most of the time they just pay somebody else to make it, and choose the catchiest out of a given grouping of choices. similar to an author choosing a cover for their book.

I've learned the "basics" of music. I've been playing guitar for 7-ish years & Hip-hop is one of my favorite genres. It is indeed real music (What is "fake" music, other than silence?). Also, who are you to say what instrument is "correct" for a composition? Anyway, if you think Hip-hop doesn't involve live instrumentation, watch these:

As for the OP: No. Dumb lyrics are present in other genres as well - why single out only one? Not all lyrics within a genre are about the same thing(s).

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Now that is just ignorant.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Your lack of understanding just how someone raps is saddening to say the least. If it doesn't take skills or talent by all means post a video of you rapping.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Why, because I don't like anything about rap?

I must be a complete moron because I don't like salsa or big bands either.

Its a sad day when you are called ignorant for not liking something.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

He was saying the way you expressed your opinion was ignorant

How I took it anyways
edit on 15-4-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Q2IN2Y
There was nothing ignint about his opinion.I knew they would start w that stuff.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join