It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is WTF realy any different than dropping the "F" Bomb?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Teapot, meet tempest.

It's bad enough that staff have to edit, delete, send U2U's, Post Ban and all the rest of the stuff 700 or so members online at any given time can get up to, but now we're going to be asked to edit SHTF (et al?)

Great... I guess we should triple the staff and then we'll REALLY be accused of jackbooted censorship.

We need to walk a fine line here, between what's truly offensive and common poopery.
edit on 14/4/11 by masqua because: Common typo cleanup

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

This is ALL above MY pay grade. (LOL!!!!)

I suggest we kick it "upstairs".

(Staff member Masqua raised a valid point: OTHER sites, and THEIR proprietary filters and "censors". Other staff were equally valid, as were all the posts....(OK...I only read two pages....SUE me!! LOL!).

Just FYI (I hope that isn't going to alert any "bots"?) .... I have been to some Libraries, at times...and THEY use filters of course, to block what are considered "un-palpable" websites....but, the "Urban Dictionary" is blocked???

What the Frak??? (WTF?)

WTF also could = "What To Feel"? "Worse Than Failure" "Wikileaks Task Force".....(the list may be extensive, please pause for your favorite refreshment......).....

.....(sigh)...."Winning The Future"....(and the beat goes on......on and on......).....(sigh)

[Ed]...Oh, wait! I missed --- "Wrestling Takedown Federation"!!! (Face/Palm)

edit on 14 April 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I read a post a while back where a MOD

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

My opinion is that we as members should hold ourselves to the higher standards commensurate with a website and forum(s) that we aspire to be.

I'm not saying that such lazyness and netspeak should be banned, merely that if a poster wants to be taken seriously, then perhaps it is right and proper that they express themselves in a way that lends their posts to be taken seriously.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
WTF in my opinion doesn't bother me, used that many times before internet
same with
FTW - when I grew up it meant something else (*the world)
what its used for on the internet does bug me
...."For the Win" .......oh COME ON

Sometimes I want to tell people on ats, JFGI
but instead I keep my fingers off the keyboard (keep my mouth shut)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

That is the choice each member has to make for themselves. If they want to be taken seriously, then they should avoid SHTF, WTF, OMG, LULZ and a gazzillion smilies or exclamation points.

It doesn't look intelligent, it looks like the opposite.

I guess it depends on how each individual wants to be seen by the rest or if they just don't give a sewer rat's buttocks about that. In my own opinion (imo), I read well written posts and skim those which are not.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
FTW - when I grew up it meant something else (*the world)
what its used for on the internet does bug me
...."For the Win" .......oh COME ON

I guess that all depends on when, where and by whom we were raised or our personal experiences by country, region and or culture.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Though I drop the F bomb plenty, I try not to....especially in my writing. I think I have used it twice here, once in a thread asking "WTF is wrong with us, and once when I was really freaked on something here and all that came out was WTF.

A wise man once said, using words like, like, uhh, you know, and use of all the four letter words, are a sign of lack of a better word to get the point across...aka stupidity.

So I like to think WTF is, what the freakin #@%$
edit on 14-4-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by budski

I read well written posts and skim those which are not.

Pretty much the same as I do.

I have read posts which are really good, but have been spoiled due to this.

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen: more bemoaning the fact that more threads would be taken more seriously were it not for this type of thing.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
Why does cursing = adult?

There are quite a few polished speakers, who do not curse, that commit the most heinous atrocities in this world.

I should have said mature. Being unable to converse without profanity is immature is more what I meant.

It's perfectly reasonable to expect mature behavior is it not? Your engaging in a Straw Man Argument here as what others do is not the point. It's just an excuse.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by budski

That is the choice each member has to make for themselves. If they want to be taken seriously, then they should avoid SHTF, WTF, OMG, LULZ and a gazzillion smilies or exclamation points.

It doesn't look intelligent, it looks like the opposite.

I guess it depends on how each individual wants to be seen by the rest or if they just don't give a sewer rat's buttocks about that. In my own opinion (imo), I read well written posts and skim those which are not.

The one thing I agree with---> "In my own opinion"

If you feel using acronyms is unintelligent, you have effectively alienated a large portion of users here. You have then limited your ability to glean knowledge from those who decide to be e-trendy.

You decide to absorb what you agree with on the superficial level.

Who then, really, is being unintelligent?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

With a straight face your saying when people post WTF, they don't mean it the way everyone else takes it? Yeah sure

I did not expect this to go beyond a couple of replies to be honest. Not even remotely my intention.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Tharsis

e-trendy

Trends are for sheep who follow rather than lead. Would it not be better if ATS were to lead by not allowing profanity and things like WTF are in fact profanity for profanities sake. I've seen the other sites. They have no traffic.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The thing here is about thoughts/feelings behind a word or an acronym.

The " F Bomb" has and Is being used in MSM ( because they just cant quote this or that guy ) .

Or even my favorite is when some guy over the waves tries to convey the Direct Quote saying " 4 letter word beginning with F" .

You see guys..there Is a WORD that is kinda worldwide that conveys a feeling of so many feelings .

Ok..Im gonna go with another post up there that basically put this F word in different ways..

WTH ( what the hell ) Is this modded ?
WT.. ( What the ..(fill in the blank)
WTcrap ? ( Is this banned now ? ) .
WTP ( what the poo ).

See friends.. it does not matter what we acronym .. Its the Feeling behind it.

We can say " Oh this is all F'd up " or your F'd .. or F u.. or F off."

Or we can say " this is Tomatoes out..or shucks..or Frap ... Fookers.or even corncobs "

Will Corncobs work for the net now ? " Oh we are so cobbed " .. now is this offensive ?

" Oh this is all C'd up " or your C'd .. or C u .. or C off"

Now we cant even have emotions on the net ?? good god man..

Its not the F word..its the emotion behind it..and thats gonna be taken away unless you wake the C up.

JG.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Maybe I'm just weird, but I always substitute it as "what the freak" because I always felt that signifies what the users are trying to convey with the acronym. It's not like going "WHAT THE F***!" It's just a general wtf, what just happened. One could also say "what the..." and still have the same effect, or "what the heck/possible expletive."

It just turns out that wtf is an easy way to signify confusion and is in no way actually intending to insinuate a rule-breaking expletive usage. If we're getting really picky, every time a user posts "
" they are inadvertently using an insult in Australia. People just have to learn to be a little less sensitive about the little things and just care about the content in the post that matters.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Being unable to converse without profanity is immature is more what I meant.

I disagree. My opinion is that contrived social graces are immature. Words are just words. I can have dubious intent with my speech and still maintain maturity in your model.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Profanity is honest.

Peace

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yes, if you see it you should edit it. Clear enough?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Does it really matter? I think we are all adults here, and the abbreviations doesn't do harm at all.
think about it wtf = what the heck, what the hell, Whoah, im shocked, what is this, wait what"

I honestly don't see anything wrong with it, and kids use it more than adults do.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I thought WTF was a campaign slogan?

Winning the Future?

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

Making light of the acronym for the new White House initiative "Winning the Future," which inconveniently shares the same as that of "What the (blank)," Palin told Fox News Wednesday the president's speech was riddled with "a lot of WTF moments."

"His theme last night was WTF, winning the future," Palin also said. "I thought, okay, that acronym – spot on."

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Seems to be a lot of that type of thing to get around the T&C lately. Seems to me adults can communicate without that, but perhaps I'm wrong? I just don't want to see this turn into a profanity fest like so many other sites have.

I don't know who came up with it but on a youtube video I heard a guy say I was having one of those "whiskey tango foxtrot" moments and I thought to myself what a wonderful way to use this acronym. So from now on think of it like that. Its just the human language evolving as usual nothing to panic over.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join