It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is WTF realy any different than dropping the "F" Bomb?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???
Where you thinking of something else???:

Of course you were. Not the same thing.
But conveys the meaning w/o saying "it."

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Of course we should all be courteous but I had to laugh at the idea of "Trendy web-speak"

WTF, STFU, SNAFU and even etc

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Seems to be a lot of that type of thing to get around the T&C lately. Seems to me adults can communicate without that, but perhaps I'm wrong? I just don't want to see this turn into a profanity fest like so many other sites have.

I'll never understand this complaint.

Why does cursing = adult?

There are quite a few polished speakers, who do not curse, that commit the most heinous atrocities in this world.

The F bomb is a word. The real bombs that the polished world leader's order their military to drop are a bigger issue.

How much hate speak is spread without ever using the F word?

An adult can hear a curse word and handle it IMO.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The old 'sticks and stones' cliche really has jumped the shark, hasn't it?

Censorship is ridiculous, plain and simple. Why shouldn't we be able to use some "bad words" in the heat of expressing our opinion so long as we don't go overboard? But no, we have to completely do away with them to take away the perspective judgement those who moderate might have in such instances. It's one thing to say them, but censoring text? Truly ludicrous.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

haha and you know what's sad about "teh"? It's the SAME letters just mixed around...it's not even done out of lazyness anymore!

edit on 14-4-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

They've been around for decades?

Please, supply us with examples of these acronyms from the 50'5 or 60's

I was talking about people deliberately typing "TEH" rather than "THE" because it has become trendy to do so, even though typing "TEH" is actually harder than using the correct word.

It's puerile and annoying, and I will continue to dismiss any post which contains this nonsense.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This is a website.

There are filters which screen websites in homes, workplaces, schools and libraries.

Personally, I wouldn't want ATS to wind up banned in those places any more than it is already.

There's a difference between WTF and the commonly accepted translation which those filters pick up.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
On this forum text speak is theoretically against the T&C, so yes WTF should be as bad as the F bomb.

Personally though I've noticed moderators have let the text speak thing slide over the last year, which I think is a shame.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I personally don't see the problem with WTF. While it may have been created as a way to evade censorship or to sneak profanity past more conservative minds, the saying has taken on a life of its own. There is a band called LMFAO now. I'd imagine most conservative people are clueless as to what the name means.

But, having said that, when people are looking for offense... it isn't very difficult to find in this world. I don't sweat the small stuff as a general rule. Like anything else "WTF" has its merits. Though if a small child were to say "WTF" to me I'd be upset. Other than that...

~Heff

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

what he said.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
i dont think 'wtf' is the same as typing out the "F word".

But i do think it might be in violation of the part of the TandC that discourages chat speak.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm surprised you guys don't see any problem with it.

In my opinion it is known as "dumbing down" and if you are happy to accept that, fine.

I am not, because it drives down the quality of posts, and this in turn drives away the very people thay we want to post here - the researchers, the knowledgeable and those who make a REAL contribution such as some of the conspiracy masters have done in the past.

WTF is shorthand for profanity - we all know what it means, but it's acceptable because it's a common acronym?

If we are to progress and be taken seriously as not only a conspiracy site, but also as a media source (which we have seen recently) then it is imperative that we view various acronyms as less than acceptable.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Here's a good starting point.

Glossary of military slang

NT WTF: Letters Pronounced Individually. INTerrogative What The ****. See WTFO. Usually used in a text/teletype medium where WTFO is over voice communications.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Fair enough, and I suppose we could include FUBAR in that, BUT there is a difference between military slang and the serious discussion of topics here on ATS.

We are supposed to pride ourselves on our knowledge, and the ability to express it in a manner that is eloquent, perhaps succinct, but always clear.

There's a huge difference between that which we as a community strive for, and a bunch of grunts sitting around giggling because someone made a funny.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

We used the term when I was in the Army all the time. It goes all the way back to WWII. Describes the daily grind of Army life perfectly. Situation Normal, All F---ed Up

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

QED

Point proven.

We're not grunts, we are ATS'ers

No offense to any grunts by the way (notice I didn't type BTW?)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

You see T&C as the same as WTF? What is wrong with using non offensive language? It's just being courteous as opposed to Trollish.

wtf isn't offensive language. it's letters. what the fudge, what the flip, what the fooey. stfu is completely different. it's abusive, "shut the fudge up", "shut the flip up", "shut the fooey up". wtf is just an expression, stfu is an abusive statement.

and ATS (ACRONYM ALERT) has no idea what troll means, seriously. you guys abuse that word like you just learned it (because you did). a troll is someone who knowingly baits you and derails a thread. don't equivocate troll with every bad post you see, that's irrational, and incorrect. also don't equivocate wtf and stfu, completely different things. same as thinking shorthand is lacking intellect. i can tell most of you are just adverse to trying to think differently though.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The answer is NO.

However in the politically correct times that we live in , it's OK to use a euphemism for a word when the word itself is not politically acceptable.

I remember when my son came home from kindergarten with a few choice words. I explained to him what the words meant. I also explained to him that some people would think less of him if he chose to use those words.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What about "F Bomb", or "F-word"?

Their both saying ____, just not saying it directly. WTF also is saying that word, indirectly.

I don't believe in swear words, they categorize as "slang" to me. Impolite at worse, and that's situational. I think these work arounds are acceptable. They formed to get the word across without actually saying it, and were accepted as a more polite way to do so.

I believe only excessive profanity(or profanity in insults) should be moddable on a forum like this, but I understand the perspective of having it at the low tolerance it's at here. I don't think that tolerance should be any stricter.

As a side note, text-speak, annoys me a little. It's not in my tastes to use or read. Still, the message being spoken is more important than the words(proper, profane, or text-speak) being used to portray it.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

Hang on a minute - you are talking about intellect having just used "equivocate" in completely the wrong context?

lmao dude, wtf is that about? imo that's wooo (way out of order a nice new acronym)

Just joking mate

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join