It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is WTF realy any different than dropping the "F" Bomb?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Seems to be a lot of that type of thing to get around the T&C lately. Seems to me adults can communicate without that, but perhaps I'm wrong? I just don't want to see this turn into a profanity fest like so many other sites have.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I have wondered the same thing. I see "WTF" all the time. It doesn't bother me; however, I once got one of those "Extreme T&C Violation" things for using the initials "STFU". To me, what I was censored for is no different than the "WTF" censor circumvention.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The same thing could be said for "TSHTF".

Personally, I think that over time the repetition of these acronyms allow them to leave the constraints of individually sounded out words and take on an identity all their own.

When I see "WTF", I don't sound it out--to me it represents a mentality that we've all experienced. It can be hilarious or alarming.

My WTF might be slightly different than your WTF, but they convey the same meaning.

At least, that's how I see it.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I have wondered the same thing. I see "WTF" all the time. It doesn't bother me; however, I once got one of those "Extreme T&C Violation" things for using the initials "STFU". To me, what I was censored for is no different than the "WTF" censor circumvention.

wtf is not at all the same as saying stfu on a forum. i think that should be pretty blatantly obvious.

and saying wtf on a forum isn't circumventing T&C, when someone posts "wtf" the three letters could literally mean anything. the reason you got in trouble for saying stfu is because its completely stupid and rude to go on a forum and tell someone they shouldn't get to voice their opinion, no matter how stupid.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart

Originally posted by Aggie Man

wtf is not at all the same as saying stfu on a forum. i think that should be pretty blatantly obvious.

and saying wtf on a forum isn't circumventing T&C, when someone posts "wtf" the three letters could literally mean anything. the reason you got in trouble for saying stfu is because its completely stupid and rude to go on a forum and tell someone they shouldn't get to voice their opinion, no matter how stupid.

Well, for the record, I didn't tell anyone on the forum to STFU....it was in reference to a youtube vid. Nonetheless, STFU could literally mean anything as well.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Put it this way...

as soon as I see that kind of "shorthand" or webspeak like "teh" I switch off, and don't bother with the post.

It's really not that hard to express yourself without resorting to these kinds of things.

It might seem "trendy" or be a way of getting around the T&C, but really, the only people who suffer are the people who write that kind of crap, because I am sure I am not alone in dismissing them - possibly to my own detriment, but probably not.

Then again, that's what the alert button is for, and given the amount of posts daily here on ATS, it's a dead cert that the mods catch only a small proportion of these childish and stupid posts.

In short, we should be better than that, as Nef said in an excellent thread, "Be the Change You Want To See" or something very similar to that...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

no. wtf = what the _____. not abusive.

stfu = shut the _____ up. abusive.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I can beat that Aggie, i recently got a T&C violation for writing "shiite", as in muslim.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Put it this way...

as soon as I see that kind of "shorthand" or webspeak like "teh" I switch off, and don't bother with the post.

It's really not that hard to express yourself without resorting to these kinds of things.

It might seem "trendy" or be a way of getting around the T&C, but really, the only people who suffer are the people who write that kind of crap, because I am sure I am not alone in dismissing them - possibly to my own detriment, but probably not.

Then again, that's what the alert button is for, and given the amount of posts daily here on ATS, it's a dead cert that the mods catch only a small proportion of these childish and stupid posts.

In short, we should be better than that, as Nef said in an excellent thread, "Be the Change You Want To See" or something very similar to that...

that's fairly ignorant. people use acronyms because it's generally understood what they mean. it doesn't make you smarter than people who use them. i use them all the time, but it doesn't reflect anything about me personally, it just saves time. just like when you type FEMA, or POTUS, you know what it means, and it saves you time. posting in forums is generally something people do in their free time, so it's nice, even if it saves a few seconds. it's also nice to be able to talk however you want and not feel like an outcast among people, as well.

to completely ignore a post because it has shorthand in it is 100% shortsigthed, ignore it for it's content, not its character

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Ah the Good ole F word...

I have never used WTF in posting on forums, but I certainly see the usage among those more versed in net lingo. Personally, I like the F word in daily speech. It is the most versatile word in the english language. It is a chameleon which blends its way into any useful expression. I marvel at it really.

Here is some history on the word and it's wonderful uses.

If you do not have A/V capabilities, I apologise.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Profanity is against the T&C for a reason. It's childish and offends some people. ATS has tried to be above that childish behavior and I like it that way.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Put it this way...

It might seem "trendy" or be a way of getting around the T&C.....

OK so "Trendy web-speak" is out but using "T&C" in reference to the Terms and Conditions is cool.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

WTF predates the Internet by many decades. It is not new and everyone knows what it means, even old farts like me.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

Acronyms are one thing.

Lazy netspeak, and trying to get around the T&C are quite another.

We can thank the Victorians for this, but that's a different conversation.

The "C" word was used for hundreds of years - doesn't make it acceptable now...

Don't be lazy, stop trying to be "trendy" stop trying to get around the T&C.

We are supposed to deny ignorance, not embrace it - and one way of denying ignorance is to not fall into the trap of using the kind of crappy language you see on so many other "wannabe" websites and forums.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Who does WTF hurt, comparison to STFU?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You see T&C as the same as WTF? What is wrong with using non offensive language? It's just being courteous as opposed to Trollish.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
WTF predates the Internet by many decades. It is not new and everyone knows what it means, even old farts like me.

Then I suppose I am the one who has been in a cave. I have never seen it used any where else other than internet forums. Text messaging maybe. I never got into the whole text messaging thing so forgive me for not knowing.

Where else is the acronym used over the full expression?

Now you have me curious?

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Profanity is against the T&C for a reason. It's childish and offends some people. ATS has tried to be above that childish behavior and I like it that way.

i'm not condoning profanity...
i'm telling that guy why his post was banned.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47
Who does WTF hurt, comparison to STFU?

It hurts no one. That is not the point. It offends some, it's unnecessary and childish. There are many sites where it is the norm. I hope it does not become the norm here.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

Misunderstood. Sorry for that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join