It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Nuclear War films.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The USA is so large that the nuclear threat is somewhat diminished, some areas would be kaput, most would be fine, I feel.

Whereas the Uk would be effed by any kind of nuclear warfare, this is probably why threads is so affecting.

I'm up to part 7 and really not feeling "the day after".

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
" On the Beach " is probably the most gripping for me. The world ends. Life ends. And there's nothing anyone can do about it. Just take the pill and lay down and close your eyes.

Let's hope that with all the insanity in the world today that no one decides to light the fuse that cannot be put out.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Crimson Tide was a good movie, about a US nuke sub crew with knocked out radio during tense times in Russia with the captain bent on launching pre-emptively.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'm surprised nobody has said The Hunt For Red October
Although no bombs went off, it is a great Cold War movie on one helluva nuclear sub!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sixsixtysix
The USA is so large that the nuclear threat is somewhat diminished, some areas would be kaput, most would be fine, I feel.

Whereas the Uk would be effed by any kind of nuclear warfare, this is probably why threads is so affecting.

I'm up to part 7 and really not feeling "the day after".

Are you kidding? America would be completely destroyed in a full on nuclear war. Some parts may not be hit by anything but that doesn't mean life would go on as normal.Think of how lawless these places would be.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Crimson Tide was a good movie, about a US nuke sub crew with knocked out radio during tense times in Russia with the captain bent on launching pre-emptively.

True, Crimson Tide was a good movie but I think the OP was after movies where a nuclear war actually happened.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
they may have made harioshima(spelling???) into a made for tv movie back in the 90's. i read the book in one night during a slow night @ work and made my skin crawl.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I've been looking for a certain WWIII movie for at least the last 10 years. I have little information to go on...

I'm guessing it was early/mid 90's...had James Early Jones in it (maybe as president?). It was about a bunch of reporters around the world, covering the start of WWIII. I remember seeing reports on American battleships broadcasting from wherever it was they were, just as everything was about to go down.

It may have been an HBO or Showtime movie.

I thought it was "By Dawn's early Light". It wasn't. "Special Bulletin" sounded promising too, but i believe it's too old to be the movie I'm looking for.

Not much to go on, but I couldn't have been the only one to see it. Would be most grateful if someone could throw out a name...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Kinda surprised there's no love for The Road.

It doesn't really deal with the war, just the survival of a small family afterwards. Its brutal watching the father make every decision as the radiation gets to him.
Also the group on the truck reminded me of raiders from fallout 3.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Just an update here guys.
On The Beach was remade in 2000.
Cast included Bryan Brown and Rachel Ward.
Better film than the original in my opinion.
Threads tops it for me,i remember watching it the night it was broadcast
on the BBC.
Everyone was talking about it for weeks after.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Stu2112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sidewayszombie
Kinda surprised there's no love for The Road.

It doesn't really deal with the war, just the survival of a small family afterwards. Its brutal watching the father make every decision as the radiation gets to him.
Also the group on the truck reminded me of raiders from fallout 3.

Not once in 'The Road' do they even refer to radiation, we're not even told what actually happened to the world..for all we know it could of been a comet that hit the earth.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Threads.

You cannot beat Threads for the fear, panic and sheer mindless horror of its depiction of nuclear war.

They don't need to make another nuclear war film. Threads is it.

If you want a perfect argument for showing every schoolchild around the world the horrors of this technology then this is it. It should be requisite viewing for them. I don't care if it scares the *** out of them or gives them nightmares. They should be made to watch it.

As for the big f*** off monkey bombs? Scrap the lot of them.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Ah great film! i would consider that as part of a world war 3 film! i mean it kind of looks at the aspect of what a guerilla ( is that how you spell it?) fighter would do in that situation...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by anon102

YEEEEEEHAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Major Kong lives!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3293cb13f8d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Wow I just finally watched "The Day After" for the first time yesterday and it was a crazy movie but the sumbitch wouldn't work on my Xbox
lol. Funny how the dude from "It Takes Two" is in it hahaha but good movie.
edit on 15-4-2011 by concernedcitizen519 because: wrong movie title

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Not Nuclear,but Grave of the Fireflies is an Anime Movie about a Boy and his little Sister surviving during WW2. It´s more shocking than scary...but i bet you´re gonna cry at the End,thats for sure.

I liked watching The Road ,because its pretty realistic about surviving in most "End of the World" Scenarios.

You know whats good about those Type of Movies? You learn how to survive if something happens someday...and looking at the News lately,i´ve got alot to watch (and learn...fast)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I was a Senior in High school when The Day After originally aired and I remember they had extra counselors on staff the next day in case kids were traumatized. That broadcast was a very big deal, warnings at every commercial break, numbers to call if you were freaked out etc.

Growing up during the cold war I developed a dark curiosity about WWIII so I have pretty decent DVD collection of these movies, but somehow I never saw Threads, going to watch that right away. How about Damnation Alley? B Movie but still cool. All time favorite - Planet of the Apes

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Grave of the Fireflies is propably the saddest movie of all time. It can'T get more depressing. I only watched it two times because of it.

Threads was the most shocking movie i ever saw and before that i saw stuff like Cannibal Holocaust or Men behind the Sun (which even featured a dissection of a real dead kid and probably the cat the get killed by rats was real too) But Threads is a different beast, it's realistic and where The Day After feels like a 'nuclear soap opera' it's just shocking, the explosion and the downfall of the society.

There are also two very good japanese movies about Hiroshima:
Black Rain
and the other was called Hadashi No Gen i think.
Black Rain is really awesome.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Godzilla may be a candidate for the list.It's said to be inspired by hiroshima and nagasaki.An example of a nuclear attack that doesn't even have a bomb in it.Thats a rare thing imo.There is defanitly a hidden anti-nuke message in there.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
TERMINATOR 2 DUDES!!! I was just watching T3 and its awful. But the nuke # at the end was not bad. T2 FTFW!!! Come on whose with me?

www.youtube.com...

Dude! DUDE!!! I remember seeing this in the theatre and it just blew me away. I will NEVER forget it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join