Best Nuclear War films.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

The last one... Miracle Mile quite crappy...but still.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Awww. I really like Miracle Mile. I'm a child of the 80's though so I get some nice nostalgia kicks from it.

And A Boy and His Dog. One of the best movies of all time. Really puts your priorities in place.
edit on 13-4-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Nightmares aside, taking about these awful things like nuclear bombs and nuclear attacks and radiation
and thus sickness and death is not the thing to with some children.
Now I'm not being rough with ya with ideas and words...just have seen what it can do to one individual in
particular...especially when they are living within a disfunctional family environment.
When I was a child they had the cuban crisis going and instructions to parents I think about us walking
home or something or early release..I don't even remember it all actually. I was disturbing but for me
maybe not as much as it would be/would have been for some others..Of course, I think some people are
natural ducks LOL and things just sort of roll off of 'em. I had bad dreams for decades..like a bomb
thingy following me to my doorstep and stinging me..LOL..and some small thing floating in the air..I was
under the covers and it floated in searching for me..that was pretty wild dream back then, not to mention
terrifying. I even dreampt ww3 started with submarines just off the coast. Remeber dreaming walking
into a strange house and the clock said 6:30 PM..then the war started..
I have been chastised for talking about and thinking about such things..but I truly believe that given
the right circumstance..preparation could help..just remember, it's not only the physical aspects you
must be concerned with but the mental/spiritual and emotional aspects of it all. You'd have to be an
emotional survivor.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

thanks for the answer, but seeing the other posts i think it was "on the beach" i ve seen in back in the 80ies, and still gives me creeps.

still remember the scene where they find the source of the morse signal...

will not go into details, don't want to spoil it for folks who havent seen it yet.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Also now i know why the song "waltzing matilda" always gave me goose bumps - its the movie theme.
all these buried memories...

By the way, somebody has a submarine to rent ? ;-)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
All 3 very good films, I would say the best though was 'Threads', simply harrowing, and virtually changed the attitudes towards nuclear weapons in the UK, overnight, although the government still insist on keeping our 'Deterrent'.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

Well i havent seen that movie( on the beach).
But i will keep an eye out for it if it scared you that much.

And i cant believe waltzing matilda freaked you out.
Or did someone drown in a billabong???

Im glad i was wrong about my choice on your movie or i wouldnt have found out about this movie that scared you.

I cant wait to watch it. But......if its a really bad movie and not scary or haunting at all, i will get back to you, i Will type really really hard on the keys of my computer to show you im upset and angry at you for making me watch it. I mean it.

Ps. If im hiring a submarine, your driving.

Meathed
edit on 13-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Meathead; I have to add, i was very young at the time, and its from 1959, so it's not one of those action-loaded movies with lots of shooting and all, what freaked me out is the end of the world scenario, well still freaks me out.

Back in the days they still had good speeches in the movies, check this scene for instance:
(would not spoil the whole movie)

about waltzing matilda: the song always gave me goose bumps, i never knew why, now i know it reminded me of the movie, but i never knew it did. (don't know if that phrase makes sense.. but can't explain it better right now)

And: welcome aboard of our submarine, i hope you look as good as Gregory Peck ;-)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I read the book On The Beach back in the mid seventies.
I still feel that chill on the back of my neck...
The End

Lord of the Flies...too
edit on 13-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I remember being scared to death watching Special Bulletin. This movie came out in the 80's I think, and was made in a documentary-like style. I remember at the time there was an outcry of sorts because some people thought that it was really happening, even though they ran disclaimers throughout the movie. Enjoy!
I believe this movie is available on Google video
edit on 4/13/2011 by peewee1263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I always liked “War Games”, as it was a different twist to a World War III scenario with a young computer hacker, and a Hal-type computer taking over to start the attack. “Would you like to play a game?”, with the game being called “Global Thermonuclear War”.

I need to watch “The Day After”, as I haven’t seen it. I do remember though when it was first aired, I was 9 years old. I remember my parents taking it very seriously, having my brother and I go to bed early that night so they could watch it. I knew what the subject was, but didn’t really have a comprehension of what the real meaning was. To me at the time, I thought it was almost an instructional movie on what to do and what to prepare for when the inevitable happened. It really scared me, because I could tell how serious my parents were. I knew they were typically a fun loving couple, and to be this serious about something, really freaked me out. I’ll have to watch it now and see what I think.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

Thanks again friend.
That is the type of movies that i like to watch still. I like to see where the movies of today get there plots from.
I like sitting down to an old black and white movie or even a subtitled movie still.
I will watch any movie from any era as long as it is a war or sci fi or a western moive or all three combinded.

So thank you for sharing with me.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I know it's not a movie, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the documentary The Day After Trinity.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.imdb.com...

The scariest thing about a nuclear war is watching actual nuclear weapons testing footage. I shudder to think of what we have today that common folk don't even know about.
edit on 13-4-2011 by BlesUTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

day after or gtfo scared the # outta me when i was like 4 when this showed on tv

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
"Threads" #ed me up. I couldn't even get through the whole thing.
I was anti-nuclear before, but after that video (which probably isn't even as bad as what it'd actually be) I'm pro "ban almost all nukes, now"
edit on 4/13/11 by NuclearMitochondria because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

Haven't seen Day After Trinity but Trinity And Beyond which might be related as it is also a documentary was also very good from a historical perspective.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I like the movie Thirteen days... on the Cuban missile crisis, also Wargames...a classic...

Those are the 2 that came to my mind. What happens when a rogue takes over and what happens when we give up control to machines. I would also like to add The Sum of All Fears.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I am watching "The day after" right now, I have seen it mentioned loads but not bothered to watch. Threads though, omg I followed a link to watch it about 6 months ago, I watched the beginning bit, since then I have seen it about 3 times.

Threads is the scariest thing I have seen in my life, I just keep on watching it, the whole build up, then the devastating bombs, the whole milk bottle melting and the cat writhing around in agony.

I do wish the BBC would put out drama's of this quality again. If I was watching threads in the 80's I imagine would have retired to some kind of bunker.

It's brilliant in the way it depicts the devastation, believable and transferrable, maybe not for US audiences, but same thing applies.

If nuclear war ever breaks out, I will get very drunk and chuck myself off something high

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Ok I am up to part 4 of "the day after" and nothing much seems to have happened.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
what no Dr. Strangeglove??

Cassic!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Good thread imo, I will add Jericho to the pile. It is not a movie in the proper term, but in my mind, I feel it depicts a modern day scenario that could likely play out. Talk about a false flag.

I hope to watch some of the other sugested titles, that I have not seen soon.

Thanks

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join