Best Nuclear War films.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
If you fancy scaring yourself silly about the potential of WW3, then here are a few movies I recommend to get you in the mood for a bit of nuclear warfare.

First up, The Day After

en.wikipedia.org...

Next up from the UK, Threads

en.wikipedia.org...

Finally a cheery cartoon called When the wind blows

en.wikipedia.org...(film)

Are they any other good ones, I always find these films more chilling than horror movies.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
A question about "the day after" - was there another older version of it ??
Since in my memory it was black and white ??

And: at the moment i don^t have a need for movies like this. Just reading the daily news is shocking enough....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Dr. Strangelove and its more serious complement, Fail Safe.

Also, The Atomic Cafe, but that's of a different sort all together.
edit on 4/13/11 by OnceReturned because: add

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'll vote for "when the wind blows"

I was about 8 when that came out in the 80's with cold war paranoia at it's height. Gave me bloody nightmares. Should be shown to everyone in schools these days. We've all been desensitized into believing they're all not that dangerous!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Sorry its not a nuclear film, but its the end of the world type senario,,,,,,, RED DAWN.

WOLVERINES

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by svetlana84

A question about "the day after" - was there another older version of it ??
Since in my memory it was black and white ??

And: at the moment i don^t have a need for movies like this. Just reading the daily news is shocking enough....

Hi.
I think there was a movie in black and white, but i thnk it was called the day after tomorrow based off" the day after". But i could be wrong.

edit on 13-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
On The Beach
One of the best imo, and not a movie but.....

Alas Babylon
Both really show the problems of the aftermath. Alas Babylon, I read it in the 4th grade, got me interested in "survivalism".

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Yes, when the wind blows gave me nightmares too, a nightmare that i dont think i shall ever forget. I wonder what todays kids have nightmares about?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The Day After

I remember watching this years ago and being worried about "what if". It took a lot of years to come to the realization that it doesn't matter. I cannot control the outcome, so why worry?

great thread idea. Brings back some memories.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The saddest book about an atomic warfare/ bomb is the story and poem called, 1000 Paper Cranes.( Hiroshima)
If you want a sad tale, read that.

(I cant get a link, i got a bad computer)
edit on 13-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The day after is a excellent film!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

i agree scared the hell out of me i was about 7 or 8 when i first watched it,i obtained a copy of it a while bk and laughed at some little humour like the way the husband and wife would talk to each other...i might have a watch again later..followed by watership down lol

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I watched all the episodes of "Threads" on youtube a few weeks ago.. Scary stuff.. It gave me nightmares when i was a kid growing up near birmingham uk. I used to dream about nukes quite often

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The Soviets did a bunch of nuclear war movies, but it's almost impossible to find on the net.

I wish I could see some of those. It would be interesting.

The best ones have already been said... Threads, When the Wind Blows, Dr. Strangelove.

I like the movie Thirteen days... on the Cuban missile crisis, also Wargames...a classic...

And they did make a movie On the Beach...

One done by the BBC which was banned... The War Game, 1965....

The TV show Jericho is quite good too.

Another one, Testament... but not so good.

A good one is Countdown to Looking Glass... Even Newt Gingrich is in there.

And kind of like Dr. Strangelove but not as good... By Dawn's Early Light

The last one... Miracle Mile quite crappy...but still.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

www.imdb.com... Defcon 4 also freaked me out when I was a child, one thing about growing up in the 1980s was there was no shortage of nuclear war movies. They always intrigued me the most as I was scared to death of it happening. Not sure about the rest of you 30ish year olds but, I had some crazy nightmares about nuclear war quite frequently growing up.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Procession101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The mother of all Nuclear films has to be Threads a BBC production, it made the Day After look like kinder garden.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Your first choice "The Day After" scared the piss out of me for weeks! I didn't sleep right at all. The messed up thing was the day after I watched it I was in the kitchen cooking and the house started shaking. I look out the window and see something being launced out by the KSC and I was like OMG we are under attack...lol Turns out the military launched a rocket with a spy satelite or something in it. I didn't know about it and I track all launches from here from various sites lol I watch them from my balcony so I was really curious what went up. The news didn't even know about it, they had a little snipet about it and how they didn't know who or what was launched then later on they said it was the military.

After watching that movie the night before and that happening the next day I had nightmares for weeks lol I have always had this insane fear of nuclear war and weapons. They freak me the heck out.

***oh and this is one list of movies I will avoid
edit on 4/13/2011 by mblahnikluver because: no real reason

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by marsend
The mother of all Nuclear films has to be Threads a BBC production, it made the Day After look like kinder garden.

Yep, the scariest one is Threads. The most realistic of them all... No wonder it was shown only twice in 20 years on the BBC.

The whole movie for free on google video...

Google Video Link
edit on 13-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I know this movie would scare the crap out of me I can't help but want to watch it if it is banned and that scary...Hmmm...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
After watching that movie the night before and that happening the next day I had nightmares for weeks lol I have always had this insane fear of nuclear war and weapons. They freak me the heck out.

Poor you! I would have made the same connection and freaked out!

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join

Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant
read more: Ora.TV's Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant