It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The moon last night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hi guys this is probably a perfectly normal phenomena but it puzzled me last night.

Basically the moon was sitting in the night sky as usual, but what was interesting to me was this sort of halo that was surrounding the moon. Quite a distance from the moon itself. I tried to capture the image on my camera but the sky just came out pretty black. Not surprising really. It's a basic camera.

I made a quick image of what i'm talking about so you can understand more clearly what i'm talking about but i can't figure out how to import an image from my hardrive!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mike

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Social Producer

Just to add to my post. The ring was almost completely gone 10 minutes later.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Completely normal, but still super cool to see.

More info - en.wikipedia.org...(optical_phenomenon)

some cool pics - www.google.co.za... h=689

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Pretty sure if ice is present in the atmosphere it can cause a halo around the moon.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Its a moon halo, or moon dog is an optical phenomenon produced by ice crystals creating colored or white arcs and spots in the sky.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

for the picture, upload it on www.hostingpics.net... or another site for uploading pictures. After that, show us the link

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PrimalWisdom

Yes! That's exactly what it was. First time i've ever seen that before. It was pretty cool.

Cheers for clearing that up.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Just to add more confirmation : its caused by ice crystals in the atmosphere.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
In Australia it usually means it's gunna rain. Been seeing a few lately, when its not raining

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Hi all,

Where is the pictures you are describing?

//Wrathier

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I'm nTt entirely convinced it was a moon halo now that someone else has mentioned they thought the moon had an unusual look to it. It appeared to have linear rays of light coming from the lit side for a short while around 2:30 as observed in Ontario near Cambridge. The sky was mostly clear and I had a good look at it before some cloud started crossing my view. Too bad I didn't bring out my phone. Note the cloud seemed to obscure the effect and not affect the perceived linear rays. I had thought to myself that maybe an asteroid had hit the moon and I was seeing the ejecta plume. Didn't think I would get that lucky though. If it is clear tonight I'll have a good look with a set of binoculars. Might catch something?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Social Producer

Hi guys this is probably a perfectly normal phenomena but it puzzled me last night.

Basically the moon was sitting in the night sky as usual, but what was interesting to me was this sort of halo that was surrounding the moon. Quite a distance from the moon itself. I tried to capture the image on my camera but the sky just came out pretty black. Not surprising really. It's a basic camera.

I made a quick image of what i'm talking about so you can understand more clearly what i'm talking about but i can't figure out how to import an image from my hardrive!

Any ideas?

Mike

I have seen this many times before, don't know the cause of it, but it usually rains the next day after
edit on 13-4-2011 by infojunkie2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrathier2050

Hey Wrathier2050,

The pictures in the link PrimalWisdom provided look pretty close to what i saw.

I find nowadays i'm getting more and more surprises when i look at the night sky!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by infojunkie2

I have seen this many times before, don't know the cause of it, but it usually rains the next day after
edit on 13-4-2011 by infojunkie2 because: (no reason given)

Funnily enough it has been raining a bit today. I knew the good weather couldn't last! It is Scotland after all.

new topics

top topics

join