It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feed Your Kid Meat? That's Child Abuse, Screams PETA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
PETA Says Feeding Kids Meat Is Child Abuse

PETA says it is trying to make people in the town aware of the burgeoning obesity rates.

Spokesperson Mimi Bekhechi told BBC Wales:

We are seeing diabetes in very young children which is typically an adult disease. We are seeing children as young as three or four with arterial clogging".
She adds;
We know that a vegetarian diet is much healthier."

Needless to say, Meat Promotion Wales didn't take kindly to the confrontational ad, stating:

Peta's agenda is to force everyone to pursue a vegetarian lifestyle and they are willing to exploit the suffering experienced by genuine child abuse victims to further their own agenda".
They go on to say
Red meat is an essential part of a healthy diet and we will be making a fresh complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) about this poster."

Does PETA have a point? Are we as parents guilty of abuse for feeding our kids artery clogging meat?

I think it is ridiculous, a balanced diet can include meat.

I find it more abusive that parents allow kids to become obese and just keep feeding them bad diets. Kids are not the ones buying the food at these ages it is strictly the parents.

I do not agree with PETA that vegetarian is the way to go, and here is a picture of the ad in question, it is in typical PETA form, not very nice, and actually a bit been there done that to be honest.

It does not make me want to listen to them either, the whole campaign is a turn off.

What are your thoughts on this latest campaign from our friends at PETA?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Not PETA again. begeezus !!!

statement retracted for being to aggressive*** sorry dont like PETA

I like to eat meat, meat meat and more meat. If I dont eat meat I get lethargic and dizzy. How can you want to deprive a child of what we were made to eat? just look at our teeth, made for eating plants and meat... Add: I think its child abuse if you dont give kids this

Geez...
edit on 13-4-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: take out

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Yesterday I made it my goal to go completely vegan by the end of this year by making small choices here and there about what I eat. My decision has nothing to do with my health though.

The problem I see with the add is that meat is not the problem. It's Micky dee's. Fast food... It's the way meat is advertised.

In the picture: what about the bun? the cheese? Mustard and ketchup?... just gonna blame the slice of beef in the middle?
edit on 13-4-2011 by FurthestStar because: added a little more

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
The rule of supply and demand is making my decision in this case.

I like juicy steaks, feed the kids cereal. When they get a bit bigger, then introduce the complex meats. You surely wouldn't feed an infant New York strip steak.

Or maybe i'm just hungry, who knows.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
PETA should get a clue. Diabetes is not necessarily the out come of eating meat. There are chemicals in all meat that is produced for human consumption in this world. This ranges from hormones to arsenic (fattens up chicken instead of using hormones...works quicker)...Some people have problems with the phyto-estrogens found in beans, and soy...both vegan sources of protien.

Parents who educate themselves and then continue to feed the swill condoned by WHO and other governments of the world are abusing their children. The parents that EDUCATE themselves and work towards diets that are truly healthy for not only their children, but themselves as well are not.

Diabetes is the side effect of living in the world today if you remain uneducated.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
me thinks that PETA is the biggest crock of
chit this side of the mississippi.

how bout saying it's their diet and
laying around playing video games
is the real cause of their obesity.

there's ya some truth

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
There are millions and millions of people in this planet who eat meat and are healthy, why Peta don't attack the people who doesn't make sports? who doesn't take a walk? who only eat junk food?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I am all for PETA, in fact I donate to them and join in on campaigns, they do a great job, but they may lose points for this one... making parents feel guilty that they are child abusers by feeding meat to their kids is wrong.

Eating meat is a personal choice. So long as your kids have a balanced healthy diet, feeding them meat is NOT a crime.

I suggest they adopt the approach that says when your kids are old enough to understand, explain how meat gets to their plate and how important animal welfare is, and that it shouldn't be about profit. That beef, pork, or lamb, doesn't grow in cellophane packets on supermarket shelves, and that in fact animals go through hell to provide us meat. At that time they can choose themselves if they want to have something killed so they can munch a burger, and if they still do, then they can help to ensure the animals involved get treated with the least amount of suffering!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I am so sick of PETA. Theres a right and wrong way to go about things. They pretty much take the approach "Lets annoy the hell out of these people to do what we want." They're just annoying.

Do you know they sued over nasa naming a star "The Dog Star" because they thought it was abuse to animals to name a star after them? Really???? Come on.

Meat can be very healthy. Its just how much your consuming. I cant see anyone eating all veggies and being healthy. I would lose so much weight ide be a friggin twig. Ide rather have something on my bones thanks.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Wow what nerve! Child abuse = red meat????

I can't believe my ears. That's so ridiculous. The only thing that can be labeled child abuse where food is concerned is..Over feeding, and Under feeding, to the point where it becomes a health concern.

Most People who have extreamely over weight children, are abusing them, but not with red meat. It's from lazy parenting. Lazy cooking. Lazy discipline. Fried, and frozen foods.

I agree that cutting down on the red meat is the more healthy way to go, but for them to suggest that it is the cause of our children's weight problems .... PLEASE

I feel really bad for the starving, or beaten kids who read that peta nonsense!!

Edit: My son has pku and eats a vegan diet, and he has plenty of meat on his bones....and i can't remember the last time he was sick...he's 14

edit on 13-4-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Can we feed our kids PETA then?

I highly suspect that obesity and such is just as related to bpa and other endocrine disruptor being EVERYWHERE these days.

I mean, it really does NOT make sense? You can chew that logic up and spit it out.
Assumption: Meat causes childhood obesity
Cites: Increased obesity rates in children

Fact: The majority of human children have always ate meat for THOUSANDS of years.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
PETA can go and stuff it where the sun don't shine!
If anyone is truely racist in this world it is PETA!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
PETA is discriminatory against plants. Plants give us oxygen, if anything we should eat more animals.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

No, they don't have a point.
Meat can be very healthy. Burgers too, can be healthy. Assuming that you cook at home, and grill them.. in the restraunts they have lots of oil involved and it adds a lot of fat

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Yes, it is confrontational. I don't see a problem with it. But I can see how some people would be shocked by it. But, what is the point of advertising if not to get your attention (advertise = to get someone to notice...and notice they will).

Advertisement aside, the issue is, according the Wales Meat Council or whatever it was called, is that red meat is part of a healthy diet. However, the key word is "part". Part does not mean 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. Protein comes from many sources and most non-Western and poorer peoples know that at least a square meal can consist of beans or lentils, for example, which give you your fiber and your protein.

I think that parents that drive their kids to school and stop at McDonalds for a saussage mcmuffin in the morning; and give them processed fried meat bites or hotdogs as an afterschool snack, and feed them fast food or pepperoni pizza for dinner are not doing a good job. The children become averse to vegetables and the diet that was supposed to be balanced ends up becoming meat-heavy, with the french fry group a close second.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
Do you know they sued over nasa naming a star "The Dog Star" because they thought it was abuse to animals to name a star after them? Really???? Come on.

Um, source? When I search for this, I find one one blog that attributes quotes to Ricki Lake about renaming the star. But the quotes are not citing any primary source and I can't find anything from Ricki Lake or a spokesperson. And this blog is certainly not a primary news source.

The close runners up are a thread that has since been closed on some other site and another blog that mentions it but also does not source it.

Also, many vegans I know are not that skinny, including myself.

Second, yes, meat can be healthy, but it can also be overdone. And for the most part, the eating of meat as a health conscious issue is not really the point. As other posters here have mentioned (pro and anti-eating meat posters, by the way) the problem is fast food and the actual treatment of the animals; the conditions in which they are kept.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I googled "childhood deaths vegan" and got over 2 million hits, first page was just of parents causing deaths of their children through vegan diets.

I only have one word for PETA

BACON

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Interesting. This is the same PETA that often has young women strip down to barely any clothing, uses body paint to paint them up like animals then has them sit in cages outside on very cold days... Well I guess they would know what is abuse.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Ugh. PETA. One of those organizations that started out with their hearts in the right place and eventually became a caricature of themselves.

Associating this with child abuse is shameful. On the same token, vegetarianism has shown to be harmful according to some studies. So who is right?

I think the meat eating problem becomes harmful when it's junk meat loaded with unhealthy fats and cholesterol. But even in moderation, that would not be considered 'child abuse.

PETA does a disservice to their cause and to REAL child abuse debates.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join