It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sandy Springs, Georgia - The City that Outsourced Everything

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

While cities across the country are cutting services, raising taxes and contemplating bankruptcy, something extraordinary is happening in a suburban community just north of Atlanta, Georgia. Since incorporating in 2005, Sandy Springs has improved its services, invested tens of millions of dollars in infrastructure and kept taxes flat. And get this: Sandy Springs has no long-term liabilities. This is the story of Sandy Springs, Georgia—the city that outsourced everything.

This town is amazing. They have moved into the 21st century, they are fiscally responsible, and they have no long-term liabilities. They did have the advantage of starting from scratch, and the political pitfalls of trying to do this to an existing city would be enormous, but this city shows that having a city where tax payers aren't fleeced at every turn can work.

I found this originally at reason.com

TOA
edit on 12-4-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What an efficient modern system. They are a wonderful model for other cities and towns.

Isn't it amazing what can be accomplished when tax money is effectively managed.

Congratulations to them

edit on 12-4-2011 by gatewaywithin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gatewaywithin

Also amazing is that they were able to cut through the political BS and just get things done. They say in the vid that the lowest number of votes for incumbents for city council was at 84%! It sounds to me like the people are OK with how they are doing things. And, somehow, police and fire services work without the intrusion of 3rd parties.

/TOA
edit on 12-4-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It's not that unique a situation, there are plenty of communities and small cities that operate at a surplus, the downside is that these places are not affordable for the average person - and that's probably intentional.

Estimated median household income in 2009:
Sandy Springs: $73,290
Georgia: $47,590

Estimated median house or condo value in 2009:
Sandy Springs: $442,100
Georgia: $162,800

More comparison data here: Sandy-Springs-Georgia.html

It doesn't hurt Sandy Springs by having higher median home values and higher median earnings per household which gives it a larger tax base than surrounding areas or compared to other parts of the country. TBH that's the real secret to their success.

Edit to add:
BTW not trying to detract from what this city has done - just wanted to point out they have a big advantage in terms of their tax base compared to other, especially much poorer, cities.
edit on 12-4-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
It's not that unique a situation, there are plenty of communities and small cities that operate at a surplus, the downside is that these places are not affordable for the average person - and that's probably intentional.

Estimated median household income in 2009:
Sandy Springs: $73,290
Georgia: $47,590

Estimated median house or condo value in 2009:
Sandy Springs: $442,100
Georgia: $162,800

More comparison data here: Sandy-Springs-Georgia.html

It doesn't hurt Sandy Springs by having higher median home values and higher median earnings per household which gives it a larger tax base than surrounding areas or compared to other parts of the country. TBH that's the real secret to their success.

Edit to add:
BTW not trying to detract from what this city has done - just wanted to point out they have a big advantage in terms of their tax base compared to other, especially much poorer, cities.
edit on 12-4-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

Don't you believe that those incomes come from hard work, not from a sense of entitlement or living off the government's teet? Empower people to understand this and you can see more of the same in the larger cities, maybe not to this level but in the right direction (and subsequently, the government will only be responsible for the outsourcing instead of absolutely everything else)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Amazing what you can do with stolen money!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Amazing what you can do with stolen money!

Can you expound upon that? What money is being stolen, who is stealing it, and from whom is it being stolen? I await your response.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Compulsory tax is a synonym for theft.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

The unjust tax by the federal government upon individuals is most definitely theft. I'll agree to that. But property taxes to pay for local government services such as police, fire, water, etc., is completely legal and necessary. But I get where you're coming from.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

The unjust tax by the federal government upon individuals is most definitely theft. I'll agree to that. But property taxes to pay for local government services such as police, fire, water, etc., is completely legal and necessary. But I get where you're coming from.

/TOA

If its compulsory it's theft period! Just because some group of thugs gets together and says something is ok to do now does not make it lawful. Legal is what legislatures do to allow otherwise unlawful acts. Like allowing banks to loan money that doesn't exist and calling it fractional reserve instead of the fraud it is, or police to extort travellers for money on the highways etc.

No free man or women should be compelled to pay for any good or service they do not consent to. Police are nothing but strong arm thugs and revenuers. I'll take care of my own property fire protection and water as I see fit instead of being strong armed in a protection racket under the guise of providing me some substandard service at threat of losing my home if I don't pay.

edit on 12-4-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

A bit off-topic for my post, but as I said I can see where you're coming from. But do you have another way to pay for police, fire, libraries, judges, etc?

/TOA

top topics

join