It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Elenin?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by RadicalRebel

Earlier estimates? which ones? where are they posted?

So you have no idea when the estimates were made? OK.

so you thought it would be a good idea to contradict misleading information with false information?

Can you demonstrate that the information is false or are you being childish?

I know when the estimates i quoted were made, i was aking about the ones you quoted.
and i already did demonstrate that your information was false, unless you can prove that information is wrong ill stand by my earlier post stating that the orbital periodicity is 11,830 years NOT 600,000....
and just so you understand better you will not be proving me wrong but rather the individual whos findings I CITED!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I do hope you understand that my issue with your posts is not in the information you provide but the lack of evidence to support it. I, like many others here, am not one to take someones word on things just because.

I also have trouble with your evidence since you do not seem to have the ability to filter data. That's okay. That comes with experience. Filtering is dependent on source, methods used, and the time at which the material is published.

In the past you have made good points in your claims and i have been truly interested in the sources for them, but without something more tangible than just your word on an issue it is sometimes hard to digest, especially in light of the evidence i present and go out of my way to include in my posts.

There is little point in collecting supporting links when you deal with people that begin without supporting links. You'll figure that out. I happen to know a lot of information off the top of my head. I don't look it up. If this were a scientific discussion in a scientific arena, then you would be correct. Even in that context it is important to understand the evolution of scientific principles or the flow of work in determining information.

Consider Elenin or any comet for that matter. The position of a newly discovered comet over time produces a better understanding of the object. The longer the object is studied the better the information becomes. The uncertainties of size and orbit are reduced as more data is collected over time. Although I am not sure of this it seems that the size, mass, and orbital period will be best known after the comet has gone past perihelion.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

ill address your above responce only after you address the claims in regards to your statement that elenins orbit is 600,000 years , nice way to try and detract again but lets do this first things first....

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I've been tracking stuff on the NASA website, I'm confident that Comet Elenin won't do anything, but then again, you never know.

If anything we need to worry about "undiscovered" comets/asteroids/maybe meteorites.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

ill address your above responce only after you address the claims in regards to your statement that elenins orbit is 600,000 years , nice way to try and detract again but lets do this first things first....

That deserves only one word: wimp!

yeah i honestly expected nothing less from you, name calling....

i guess for the sake of the thread ill do your dirty work for you....

I do hope you understand that my issue with your posts is not in the information you provide but the lack of evidence to support it. I, like many others here, am not one to take someones word on things just because.

I also have trouble with your evidence since you do not seem to have the ability to filter data. That's okay. That comes with experience. Filtering is dependent on source, methods used, and the time at which the material is published.

There are many sources for your comments and they are taken wholey out of context with your brazen statement insinuating that what you say was fact...

reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Elenin is a long period comet which takes 600,000 years to complete an orbit.

Now since you are soooo concerned about "filtering data" lets look at the entire article which i will allow other people to view by citing, which you seem unable to do...

NASA's Buzzroom

OH WAIT!! you cant filter out information that isnt there to begin with...so i guess well have to use the next best thing which in this case is a myriad of blogs/articles relating to the original article that is no longer available (although the original video is on youtube...at least this is the video referenced in the many articles
possible nasa video
i say possible because it seems to me that is not the original video released by NASA and no such video comes up when i search youtube for it....
So well have to go by the information that is available in the written articles since we dont have any other sources to go by
NASA’s buzz about comet Elenin
The article begins with basic information on the comet and orbits and then states...

So little is known about this comet because of its relatively recent-discovery status, therefore, information regarding its size, mass, and orbit still vary widely or are missing altogether due to a lack of observational data. Still, astrophysicists have been plugging away at Elenin ever sine it was discovered last year.

then it tells us how NASA has removed thier video and we can find it on youtube and tells us how the " Armageddon chatrooms abuzz with theories of doom and gloom."

Then it tells us of JPL's neat little orbital diagrams and how close they beleive it will come to Earth just before they get to the heart of the matter.

In Elenin’s case, due to its recent discovery, not enough information has been taken to accurately define its period. In addition, measurements of Elenin’s path within our solar system have varied wildly since its discovery due to perturbation by the planets, meaning the gravity of larger objects in space can push and pull the comet, giving astrophysicists on Earth who are trying to measure its path difficulty in calculating its future position based upon its present trajectory.
While astrophysicists have identified the current path of Elenin with some degree of accuracy, the length of time it takes Elenin to complete its ellipse is not so well defined. Based upon one set of data, Elenin’s period could be 11,000 years; based upon another set of data, the period is 600,000 years.
The truth is probably somewhere in between, but that is a large margin of possibilities.

But then comes the kicker, and if we are really gonna "filter the data" then when the blogger admits he has taken the liberty to give this information even when NASA is reluctant to do so, perhaps we shouldnt jump to conclusions and make bold statments hoping people will beleive what is said

Most likely, this is why NASA is mum on the object; no one likes to look dumb, and astrophysicists are particularly sensitive in this area. Me, I’m genuinely curious on this one, so I’ll take the risk.

Perhaps the information posted by Kheider and available on the wikipedia page is more reliable seeing as it is the only information out there by someone who is even remotely, possibly in the feild of astronomy, at least until NASA is willing to divulge more than they have.

There is little point in collecting supporting links when you deal with people that begin without supporting links. You'll figure that out. I happen to know a lot of information off the top of my head.

NO i will never make statements of fact without citing supporting evididence. Of my many years lurking on this site before i became a member i have come to understand that evidence and the search for truth is what this site is all about.By making bold comments "off the top of your head" you only add to the problems we all seek answers for, I am surprised that you have not realized yet that is why you seem to get into arguments in so many of the threads you have posted in (yes i read a lot of them, im not refering to my interactions alone).

You could avoid all that by simply taking the time to treat people with respect and allow them to inform themselves by citing the information you state, its really not that hard...well normally it isnt, but since you seem to enjoy arguing and degrading more than talking and sharing i guess you will continue to butt heads with people.

edit on 11-4-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-4-2011 by RadicalRebel because: tried to fix my last statement as it was placed into the quote for some reason...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
You know that Planet X Movie coming out in May called "Melancholia"...Wouldn't it be wild if the kid's name in the movie was "Leo"? ...Oh wait, it is... Check it out for yourself. What do you think of this? A "Leo" discovers the killer asteroid in the movie Deep Impact. Another Leo discovers comet Elenin. There is a kid named Leo in this new planet X movie. Comet Elenin is also known as "X1". Comet Elenin will be approaching us from the constellation Leo. The Sphinx which has the body of a Lion (Leo) stares off into the night sky waiting for something to return....

From Graham Hancock: -"we have demonstrated with a substantial body of evidence that the pattern of stars that is "frozen" on the ground at Giza in the form of the three pyramids and the Sphinx represents the disposition of the constellations of Orion and Leo as they looked at the moment of sunrise on the spring equinox during the astronomical "Age of Leo" (i.e., the epoch in which the Sun was "housed" by Leo on the spring equinox.) Like all precessional ages this was a 2,160-year period. It is generally calculated to have fallen between the Gregorian calendar dates of 10,970 and 8810 BC. (op. cit., p.189)"

Ok follow me here.... The comet Elenin is supposed to have an orbital period of 11,830 years. (According to Wikipedia). That would put its last appearance on earth roughly in the vicinity of time when the Sphinx was said to have been built. Of course we can't be sure of the exact date of either, but they are close.

A lot to think about.... One more coincedence... The release date for the movie Melancholia is May 26th. "Comet" Elenin will be closest to earth on September 26th.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by hereitcomesskippy

Yet another thread spammed with movie name nonsense and an appeal to Hancock to support something about a comet.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Watch this and bear in mind that it came out a few months BEFORE 911. Tell me if it is nonsense or not....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Can you provide a synopsis of this video. I have a long standing tradition of not watching videos. They tend to be a huge waste of time. A short description probably covers all of the material in the video.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

watch the #ing video, this one won't waste your time.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Why can't you tell me that the video is just the old TV show that was not renewed that has an attempt to crash a plane into a building. If that is what the video is about then I am well aware of it. I saw it when it first aired.

There is a rule at ATS about introducing videos. Is that so hard to do?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
OP

i think that the black box in google sky at 5h 53m 27s -6 10' 58 did contribute to comet Elenin's attention

i29.photobucket.com...

hope it helps you with the case WHY ELENIN?

edit on 1-5-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
OP

i think that the black box in google sky at 5h 53m 27s -6 10' 58 did contribute to comet Elenin's attention

i29.photobucket.com...

Google Sky was created in 2007.

Three years before Elenin was discovered.

Oops.

aladin.u-strasbg.fr...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NyxOne

Originally posted by heineken
OP

i29.photobucket.com...

Google Sky was created in 2007.

Three years before Elenin was discovered.

Oops.

aladin.u-strasbg.fr...

OOOPSS

you have a very bad attitude..and think everyone is against you when reality is the bigger percentage of the world dont even care if you breathe or not..

i just said what might helped Elenin becoming so famous...i firmly re-post that the black box in google sky contributed

i'm not saying if it s done by purpose or what...it there..and it helped elenin tp become famous...

enough said

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NyxOne

i really hope for us some admins come up with ATS Juniors

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Elenin is famous because of its properties.

I doubt many people have actually heard of the comet. It does not appear to be an unaided eye comet which makes it famous. Did a flub in Google tell people about the comet? Doubtful.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join