It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rupert Murdoch newspaper admits phone hacking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Rupert Murdoch newspaper admits
phone hacking

well folks claim that I am biased in my routing
out of evil and that I only choose the left to
oust. Well sit up and take notice, ole boon
is outing the criminals on the right as well

However, I will say that this crime is not quite
as bad as changing the world into your image.

Media magnate Rupert Murdoch's flagship British Sunday tabloid newspaper officially apologized Sunday for hacking into voice mails, in a scandal which has affected celebrities, politicians and royal household staff.

The weekly newspaper offered compensation and "apologized unreservedly" for the "unacceptable" hacking.

London's Metropolitan Police arrested two men "on suspicion of unlawfully intercepting mobile phone voice mail messages" on April 5, they said. British media identified them as Ian Edmonson, a former assistant editor of News of the World, and Neville Thurbeck, its chief reporter.

www.cnn.com...

Well I guess that's one way of getting the scoop.
Just hack every cell phone of a dignitary or VIP
and you can get the scoop on just about anything.

This should be of notable interest with the upcoming
Royal Wedding. Just how much juicy info was
gathered and for how long.

This is absolutely disgusting and illegal.

Now, the biggest question would be:
Did Murdoch himself order this activity
or were these gents working individually?
If Murdoch knew about it, then a $50,000
fine is just not good enough.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Gotta love the crimes that these people get away with.

Our leaders are all criminals. I think I wouldnt have as big a problem if they just admitted it.

*sigh*

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
Gotta love the crimes that these people get away with.
Our leaders are all criminals. I think I wouldnt have as big a problem if they just admitted it.
*sigh*

well Murdoch did just admit it and apologized.
But it still doesn't make it right or even legal.

I mean I would expect this kind of illegal
hacking from big brother in search for
terrorist, but not from a newspaper
spying on British Royals.

Unless you think that Murdoch is
now trying to find evidence to ouster
the royal family or have them overthrown??
what say you ???

Why else would you hack the cell phones
of Royal Staff ???

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Boon it's a great find. But think about Murdoch's love of money and how well scandal and juicy tidbit sell. Since the royals don't contribute much to governance in jolly old England, there wouldn't be much sense in targeting their staff for some sort of overthrow. BUT - an exclusive piece of scandalous info that can be plastered on his various news outlets on the front page - priceless. Just my 2c. Keep up the good work.

ganjoa
edit on 10-4-2011 by ganjoa because: my spelling was smelling

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This has been big news in the UK although many of the papers havn't really been carrying the story as it's highly likely other newspapers get up to the same thing. They have managed to pay quite a few of the people involved off, but there are some who are determined to have their day in court.www.bbc.co.uk...

This goes right to the top of British Government with former Prime minister being urged by Murdoch to back away from the story.

upert Murdoch used his political influence and contacts at the highest levels to try to get Labour MPs and peers to back away from investigations into phone hacking at the News of the World, a former minister in Gordon Brown's government has told the Observer.

The ex-minister, who does not want to be named, says he is aware of evidence that Murdoch, the chairman of News Corporation, relayed messages to Brown last year via a third party, urging him to help take the political heat out of the row, which he felt was in danger of damaging his company.

www.guardian.co.uk...

edit on 10-4-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

They have been doing it for years. You know the first police investigation was got at and closed due to lack of sufficient evidence. Yeah right, total lack once they had received a nice payment from Mr Murdoch. They reckon the number of people who have been hacked could run into the thousands and this will cost a hell of a lot of money in damages, possibly.

If only they would release the findings from the investigation and then they would know the exact numbers. We could then work out if this would have a major impact on the Murdoch empire, or just a mere flesh wound.

edit on 10/4/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Boon it's a great find. But think about Murdoch's love of money and how well scandal and juicy tidbit sell. Since the royals don't contribute much to governance in jolly old England, there wouldn't be much sense in targeting their staff for some sort of overthrow. BUT - an exclusive piece of scandalous info that can be plastered on his various news outlets on the front page - priceless. Just my 2c. Keep up the good work.

ganjoa

well the article did state that politicians
(Government Employees) were targeted too.
So this goes a lil farther than tabloid headlines
me thinks

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

lol,
it would appear that Soros is finding the
dirt on Murdoch too.

And Murdoch wants it hushed up.

Now I wonder if a bribe was offered
to the Labor party to help keep this
crime out of the papers and the courts?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I have real bad NOTW "phone hacking" fatigue right now. Sick of hearing about the damn story. Is is not just par for the course?

And I also think the £1m damages is pretty high, not sure if it's true, but I fail to see why such a sum is necessary. When this story first appeared eons ago it was said that the hacking was not hacking at all - it was simply accessing a VM box that the owner had been stupid enough not to secure (ie. they never changed the default pass-code). Happy to be corrected on this though, and then my views may be modified. Otherwise, it's just idiots falling victim to the old tabloid tactics.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
oh and btw,
where are all those left-wingers that claim
that I am Glen Beck ???

I ain't heard a peep out of those guys
on this thread. lmao

I doubt Glenn Beck would be stupid enough to make a thread about his employers dirty dealings, he might lose his weekend job.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DSSONE

I have real bad NOTW "phone hacking" fatigue right now. Sick of hearing about the damn story. Is is not just par for the course?

And I also think the £1m damages is pretty high, not sure if it's true, but I fail to see why such a sum is necessary. When this story first appeared eons ago it was said that the hacking was not hacking at all - it was simply accessing a VM box that the owner had been stupid enough not to secure (ie. they never changed the default pass-code). Happy to be corrected on this though, and then my views may be modified. Otherwise, it's just idiots falling victim to the old tabloid tactics.

Accessing someone's voicemail without their consent is hacking in anyone's book. It's like you using the same password for every internet site you belong to and someone working it out, only to find that all your internet sites have been tampered with.

The reason the original investigation didn't go anywhere was due to lack of evidence, undoubtedly after some palms were oiled.. This isn't going away, so although you may be tired of it, there will be more.

I think Murdoch could well be forking out millions more.
edit on 10/4/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

wow, since you seem to be sharing info
not published in the article, I'm very
curious as to how you came about this info?
Were you involved in some way? Maybe,
that's why you're tired of hearing about it.
I hadn't heard about it til an hr or so ago.
Just sayin

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Accessing someone's voicemail without their consent is hacking in anyone's book.

ummm maybe I'm missing something here.
Isn't conspiracy to wire tapping punishable
by prison time ???

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

TBH Boon, this has been pretty big for sometime being covered mainly by the Guardian and the BBC (other UK news agencies wont touch it with a barge pole, as many have probably been complicit in the same techniques). I think it was the Guardian that broke the story and they have been all over it ever since.

heres a bit more about the civil service blocking an investigation prior to the election.

Sir Gus O'Donnell, the cabinet secretary, blocked an attempt by Gordon Brown before the general election to hold a judicial inquiry into allegations that the News of the World had hacked into the phones of cabinet ministers and other high-profile figures.

As News International prepares to pay compensation to victims of the illegal practice, the Guardian understands that Britain's most senior civil servant took steps to prevent an inquiry on the grounds that it would be too sensitive before last year's general election.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Boondock - I just remember a while back hearing about the default PIN aspect. As I say not sure if it is true or not, though it does seem perfectly reasonable. How else would you "hack" so many voice mail boxes? Either way I don't condone this behaviour but, I'm afraid to say, it doesn't actually shock me. The story was big in the UK prior to, and just after, the election last year because David Cameron's communications chief was previously editor at the NOTW.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Boondock - I just remember a while back hearing about the default PIN aspect. As I say not sure if it is true or not, though it does seem perfectly reasonable. How else would you "hack" so many voice mail boxes? Either way I don't condone this behaviour but, I'm afraid to say, it doesn't actually shock me. The story was big in the UK prior to, and just after, the election last year because David Cameron's communications chief was previously editor at the NOTW.

And undoubtedly that is why many of the old labour ministers phones were hacked. And before you come back at me for being a Labour lover as you have previously accused me of being, I wouldn't condone this behaviour if it involved any politician, from any party.

The thing is though, it just so happens that The Sun, Murdoch's biggest selling U.K paper, switched allegiance from Labour around the same time as Andy Coulson became Cameron's communication chief.

You see how U.K politics has started to play out? Following U.S style politics by appointing Spin Doctors. First Alistair Campbell, who I know would have stooped this low, then Andy Coulson who evidentally did.

top topics

join