It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tried to Hire a Homeless Man Today

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabbermatt

Sorry, I'm not falling for this one. That quote was from Scary Movie (The first one) When they were walking through the school parking lot and the bum walked up and asked for a dollar, the girl gave him a sandwich and he threw it back at her and said "I said a dollar b****!"

www.youtube.com...

*rolls eyes*

Cancer......
edit on 10-4-2011 by gabbermatt because: Added proof of claim.

Hey, thanks for pointing that out!
Vicky

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

In Robin's defense, I believe his remarks were intended as tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Of course if I'm wrong in my interpretation, he is welcome to correct me and answer you directly. Just sayin'......

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Hmmm..........Maybe the tax-man needs to visit all these, "hungry homeless"......that might keep them busy and off of our backs for awhile.......if one person is raking in $800.00 a week for "panhandling".......lets see, $800.00 x 52 = $41,600 per year x say 2 million homeless "panhandlers" = $83,200,000,000 gross per year divided by 1.33% for social security and medicare and income tax at $91.40 plus 25% (from IRS.gov rules on witholding)

$800.00 x 26.33% = $210.64 + $91.40 = $302.04 in taxes per "panhandler" x 2 million = $604,080,000 in taxes not being collected weekly.....In turn... = $31,412,160,000 per year.....in taxes....NOT...being collected...

Six hundred and four million, eighty thousand dollars per week and Thirty one billion, four hundred and twelve million,one hundred and sixty thousand, dollars per year that would go a long way toward debt reduction.........IF......it were applied to such........

If we were to factor in pimps and hookers.........drug dealers and users.......Problem solved..........100% employed and healthcare/indebtedness..............solved.........not to mention the....reduction in use of such programs as welfare......etc...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevilDog0311
.... I guarantee you before he was stuck living in an alley with raggedy clothes, he was still a bum, no job and no motivation, only drugs. Any self respecting individual who is put into a situation where they need to find any source of income or become homeless would have a job within a week or two, a month at the most. Its not hard, you open up the classifieds every morning and start dialing numbers.

What utter unqualified rubbish you're talking! If finding a job was that easy, I'd have one. (I've been looking for 3 years. Thank God that we have unemployment benefits in New Zealand. Before you start slandering me, I have qualifications, but so do all of the other unemployed women in my city. Yes, I do casual work whenever I can find it, but I want permanent work, and that, my friend, is unavailable to people my age. We don't have big enough tits and small enough brains.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cahlmac

Here in ireland, there have been quite a few stories in the last year or so about supposedly 'homeless' people in Dublin being dropped of in buses in the mornings and fanning out throughout the city center for a day of begging on corners... then at the end of the day, back on the bus and away home! And I have to say that in these stories it was not Irish people that were doing this. It is obviously an organised criminal enterprise which I imagine is making huge money each day and this is only the tip of the iceberg.

And you believe these stories of course....
Bit cheeky of you to bang on about them "not being Irish of course" (the old let's hate immigrants and foreigners #e) as you're an American in Ireland! (The spelling of 'centre' as 'center' gave you away.)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouSir
reply to post by onehuman

Hmmm..........Maybe the tax-man needs to visit all these, "hungry homeless"......that might keep them busy and off of our backs for awhile.......if one person is raking in $800.00 a week for "panhandling".......lets see, $800.00 x 52 = $41,600 per year x say 2 million homeless "panhandlers" = $83,200,000,000 gross per year divided by 1.33% for social security and medicare and income tax at $91.40 plus 25% (from IRS.gov rules on witholding)

$800.00 x 26.33% = $210.64 + $91.40 = $302.04 in taxes per "panhandler" x 2 million = $604,080,000 in taxes not being collected weekly.....In turn... = $31,412,160,000 per year.....in taxes....NOT...being collected...

Six hundred and four million, eighty thousand dollars per week and Thirty one billion, four hundred and twelve million,one hundred and sixty thousand, dollars per year that would go a long way toward debt reduction.........IF......it were applied to such........

If we were to factor in pimps and hookers.........drug dealers and users.......Problem solved..........100% employed and healthcare/indebtedness..............solved.........not to mention the....reduction in use of such programs as welfare......etc...

YouSir

Ummmm.........This is my platform........Hire the unemployed as.....collectors.......and collect from........everyone....Close every loophole in the "code".....tax percentage according to amount made.....sliding scale.............the more you make the more we take..........

I now announce my candidacy........simply write in.................YouSir.....for pres...........

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by cahlmac

Here in ireland, there have been quite a few stories in the last year or so about supposedly 'homeless' people in Dublin being dropped of in buses in the mornings and fanning out throughout the city center for a day of begging on corners... then at the end of the day, back on the bus and away home! And I have to say that in these stories it was not Irish people that were doing this. It is obviously an organised criminal enterprise which I imagine is making huge money each day and this is only the tip of the iceberg.

And you believe these stories of course....
Bit cheeky of you to bang on about them "not being Irish of course" (the old let's hate immigrants and foreigners #e) as you're an American in Ireland! (The spelling of 'centre' as 'center' gave you away.)

we had / have the same stuff going on here in finland ,. sad part of it is that it came with the "open boarders" EU ,
they come , they beg , get scammed and find it to be a harsh place to live during winter months , and we the tax payers pay their tickets home not to mention all the hassle in between getting to that point , the cleaning up after wards and the endless depate of it in news papers about whole ordeal , then they come again ,

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused

They filmed this guy sitting on a corner for several hours. At the end of the day, they filmed him walking a few blocks over to his shiny black SUV, change from rags into clean clothes and drive to his large home in a secured subdivision to his family.

Now, i don't know the backs story on that guy. Maybe he was some big-shot exec who lost his job and is just trying to keep up the lifestyle for his family. Who knows. Watching the story almost made me want to go out on the street with a bucket and a cardboard sign but I just can't be someone like that.

edit on 9-4-2011 by CoherentlyConfused because: typo

Man you're gullible! It was a TV show - they made it up! To judge by this thread, they'd have no trouble getting you charming people to believe it, as well.
What a heartless judgemental bunch of people you all are!
I'd like to wish poverty and homelessness on you all, it's what it would take to teach you compassion.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by nonapologetic

I expect we are going to see a lot more of this type of thing, where whole families are destitute because both Mom and Dad lost their job while POTUS is running our country into the ground. And it will be no fault of their own. This is being done by design! They want to ruin everything we built up over two hundred years, and run all private enterprise into the ground. This is why POTUS is nationalizing huge whole sectors of society and growing govt more and more. What will they do when there is no one left to sustain things with their labor?

More than likely, there will be forced labor camps when the Marxist usurper declares martial law. This is not hypothetical conjecture. To paraphrase pastor Lindsey Williams, a credible mouthpiece for the elitists btw, "Nearly everyone will be working for the federal government in the future." Does anyone think that means you'll have a cushy, high-paying job with benefits? Think again! What TPTB have planned for the near future will make the Great Depression look like child's play. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst. NOW. Karma does have ways of coming full circle. Godspeed.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevilDog0311
.... I guarantee you before he was stuck living in an alley with raggedy clothes, he was still a bum, no job and no motivation, only drugs. Any self respecting individual who is put into a situation where they need to find any source of income or become homeless would have a job within a week or two, a month at the most. Its not hard, you open up the classifieds every morning and start dialing numbers.

What utter unqualified rubbish you're talking! If finding a job was that easy, I'd have one. (I've been looking for 3 years. Thank God that we have unemployment benefits in New Zealand. Before you start slandering me, I have qualifications, but so do all of the other unemployed women in my city. Yes, I do casual work whenever I can find it, but I want permanent work, and that, my friend, is unavailable to people my age. We don't have big enough tits and small enough brains.

Love your candor, Vicky, while also empathizing with your dilemma. I know of several here in the US facing the same, hard circumstances - well qualified, "over 40", NO jobs. Very demoralizing.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is an awesome thread. I am also a cab driver in Essex, England. i see a lot of these people about. They just expect it handed to them. I work a 60 hour week to feed, feed clothe and help my family. I spent six months on unemployment benefit having seen my mortgage business fail and trying to find something in the same field. That wasn't happening and I have a lot more pride than some so I am now doing something I never dreamed I would and I am happy. I would sweep the streets or do anything to look after my family so I am now working nights, cleaning up puke when people soil the car, taking the abuse that idiots who have too much money and have had too much to drink dish out because I want to provide for my family.

People who moan and can't be bothered to get off their lazy asses and work because a) it's not worth it and b) can't be bothered make me sick.

Give these people nothing. Work is there if you want it.

I know some won't agree but we are all entitled to out own opinions and this is mine.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused

They filmed this guy sitting on a corner for several hours. At the end of the day, they filmed him walking a few blocks over to his shiny black SUV, change from rags into clean clothes and drive to his large home in a secured subdivision to his family.

Now, i don't know the backs story on that guy. Maybe he was some big-shot exec who lost his job and is just trying to keep up the lifestyle for his family. Who knows. Watching the story almost made me want to go out on the street with a bucket and a cardboard sign but I just can't be someone like that.

edit on 9-4-2011 by CoherentlyConfused because: typo

Man you're gullible! It was a TV show - they made it up! To judge by this thread, they'd have no trouble getting you charming people to believe it, as well.
What a heartless judgemental bunch of people you all are!
I'd like to wish poverty and homelessness on you all, it's what it would take to teach you compassion.

Ummm........Ahhhhh........such a paragon of compassion yourself........you fairly exude love for all humankind out of every pore.......It would be my contention that ...MOST...homeless peoples are there by choice......they CHOOSE.....to use the drugs or alcohol...........They also choose to let themselves be overwhelmed by circumstance......they could also choose to repatriot themselves with society......instead they have formed a society of their own....they have certainly not made the choice to leave their current situation...........

I know, I know.........some of them are there that have serious mental issues......that truely need......help......
Look..........it's not compassionless to explore the multiple reasons why a person would choose to live that lifestyle........I've been on both sides of the issue........I've been the innocent that gave to the man needing the ticket to get home and three weeks later finding him infront of the same store still panning for that ticket......I did'nt let that wake up call harden my compassion, I also would take food to the homeless........home cooked meals......Full turkey dinners...that they might share in a little "thanksgiving", meals that I bought and prepared... I sat there and ate with them and we all said grace and gave thanks for what I....CHOSE...to provide, not because I felt they were beneath me but that I felt that I was beneath.......them.........that if I had and did not share with those that had not....then I truely was lesser somehow......
I've also been "houseless"........I lived out of my 68 volkswagon beetle, I slept in shelters........however I also knew that I could'nt be "less a home"........you see, I create my home wherever I choose to be.....at any given time........
I would caution that you never lose sight of what true compassion really means...........that compassion can never be .......selective......

YouSir

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Its the same argument that we get from the folks on welfare who won't take a minimum wage job. "Ain't worth it". Fine. How about we deduct a 40 hour week's take home from their monthly government cheese and see if they think its worth it.

You obviously have no clue!
We're getting the same selfish, judgemental asinine attitudes here in NZ... and there are good reasons why someone on "welfare" might say that a minimum wage job isn't worth it.
There are costs involved in working - childcare, transport and clothing, for a start. If someone gets $325.00/week welfare (they have 2 children, we're assuming to get that much) , and is offered a job at minimum wage (here, that's $12.50 an hour for say 30 hours/week (considered full-time here and now). That's $375.00/week.
Childcare for 1 child is let's say $60.00 and another 30.00 for after school care for the other child. Tax reduces their 375.00 a week to $262.50, less 90.00 childcare, so 172.50, then they pay $50.00 a week to get to and from work... See where I am going here?
On welfare, they can stay home and look after their children themselves. Their transport costs are much lower. To adjust for American numbers, maybe welfare even with 2 kids is $125.00/week, and minimum wage is $7.00 an hour. So even less viable!
May you Dolphinfan, end up on minimum wage, I don't believe you'd learn any other way.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
A bum meets hundereds of users every day. You can tell OP is one of them since he got annoyed when the bum rejected his charity. The contempt shines through. Many people give bums a buck now and then because deep down they are concerned that they might not be a very nice person, and they want to feel that they are. It's only the ones like the OP however, who get offended and contemptful, who really are more users than givers. OP will never admit this to himself of course. OP didn't deserve his charity "high" and the bum denied him. Go bum!

Panhandling is a work just like every other, and if a panhandler is "lazy" then every other job in social consulting is "lazy" too. Like psychologists. A bum is more useful to more people than a psychologist anyways, so go figure. Selling the charity bit is a market like any other, and most people who give to charity gets something out of it regardless of whether the money goes where it really is needed.

At least your everyday panhandler keeps the personal touch with the people around him, and most often doesn't use the money for nefarious evil purposes ... like the big charity corporations.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Its the same argument that we get from the folks on welfare who won't take a minimum wage job. "Ain't worth it". Fine. How about we deduct a 40 hour week's take home from their monthly government cheese and see if they think its worth it.

You obviously have no clue!
We're getting the same selfish, judgemental asinine attitudes here in NZ... and there are good reasons why someone on "welfare" might say that a minimum wage job isn't worth it.
There are costs involved in working - childcare, transport and clothing, for a start. If someone gets $325.00/week welfare (they have 2 children, we're assuming to get that much) , and is offered a job at minimum wage (here, that's $12.50 an hour for say 30 hours/week (considered full-time here and now). That's $375.00/week.
Childcare for 1 child is let's say $60.00 and another 30.00 for after school care for the other child. Tax reduces their 375.00 a week to $262.50, less 90.00 childcare, so 172.50, then they pay $50.00 a week to get to and from work... See where I am going here?
On welfare, they can stay home and look after their children themselves. Their transport costs are much lower. To adjust for American numbers, maybe welfare even with 2 kids is $125.00/week, and minimum wage is $7.00 an hour. So even less viable!
May you Dolphinfan, end up on minimum wage, I don't believe you'd learn any other way.

Agreed. And unless some economic miracle comes along... these people will be forever locked into poverty.

FOREVER.

And for those of you still using guilt trips to enslave these people psychologically... try walking in their shoes nowadays without breaking any social rules or gov't enforced laws. It isn't like the good ol' days any more. There are people looking over our shoulders ready to crack you over the head anytime you cross a line... making life's journey as difficult as the next guy's.
edit on 10-4-2011 by hederahelix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reflection
My God, will people please stop with all of the, "if I were him" or "if I was sitting on the street in filth, I would"...

I mean can you possibly be more short sighted?!

You didn't walk in their shoes, you have no idea what this person had to endure as a child into adulthood. I mean, are you people really that insecure about yourselves that you have to take a superiority stance over a homeless person?!

So It comes down to "Helping our fellowman"...A noble concept.

Who infact may or may not want our idea of "help";

May or may not see anything wrong with their situation.
Whats that bumper sticker ( I like) say:" Not all who wander are lost"...

and to divine their true intentions or empathize we have to consider their "childhood". Or we can just leave them alone...And see we create our own internal problems.

Perhaps each case is "complex"as each human being is complex.
Therefore is it naive to believe we could ever know the real reason or "right" action to take?

Keep shelling out cash and the population of "flagger's builds". close the purse and we feel bad... Which is better for society? better for the individual?

Do we have the right to judge them or any one? "Lazy"or "energy efficient"; "economically smart"? "frugal" "turned off and disaffected with society"?( me too).

It makes you feel better to toss the guy a buck...than is the feeling worth a buck to you? Or is it "emotional extortion"? Pulling your heartstrings and twisting your feelings just to wring change from your pocket.

I can't decide.
A person is a person; they may be:"lazy" in our eye in one way ( like not working 9-5) but stronger than we are in others (dealing with uncertainty and little income). Perhaps just looking for a little freedom to find their own way.
Which still doesn't answer the question "should we give to panhandlers"?

Should we(do we have the right)to be offended if they laugh at our well meaning efforts and toss the hamburger into the gutter?

edit on 10-4-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Amazing how one thread can sure teach you a lot about the world and how it thinks, as this thread has been all over the board as far as mind sets. It is obvious , just like many other threads, people dont read everything before they state their opinion. I know it is hard to read a lot of pages, Im not pointing fingers, it is just that one misses a lot.

For example if people had read, they may have come to understand that I am a "Older Woman" and not some scary beady eyed Jeffry D. type. I most certainly did not approach this people with any kind of judgement. I was just making a offer. I didn't offer it to just one man, I offered it to all three mean on their different corners. Not sure why this matters, but since someone asked, they were all white and I would guess they were between 25 and 40.

I did not approach them in my cab, but Im sure they have seen me in my cab as I pass them quite often and have had eye contact with them many times and I still will in the future.

A lot seems to get lost in print I think with what one is really feeling. I am not a talented word smith as some other members are so I apologize if I seemed judgmental. I was just truly curious about what was wrong with the picture.

I am thankful for the people that did seem to get my drift of what I was trying to do and who I may be. Thank you for paying attention

The good news is there is a happy ending to this story. I finally ended up calling one of my customers that I was pretty sure could use a few bucks. I went and got him, we got the yard done Together, had ourselves a nice little bbq, a few beers, and all is well. Since it did go so well, we are going to do some more things today as well. without the monster of money between us. He has also just moved in the last couple of weeks, so it turns out I can store a few things for him as well for safe keeping.

So, perhaps this was the path I was suppose to go down anyway.And maybe just maybe, this all happened just so this post would go up to make people think.....

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
If you skim through some of the sympathy statements here, you will see phrases like:

"Unjustified wealth"

"Fat Cat Bankers" that sounds so familiar.

"Underprivilaged"

"Misfortunate"

I shared my experience earlier and I was quickly belittled by sombody. I didnt mean to use the word lazy, but I know what I see in my situation. A nonprofit Org that doesn't really "help" these people... They enable them to stay homeless. Then they appear to look the other way and try to distance themselves from the very thing they proclaim to have a passion for.

In my earlier post I didn't make clear that I don't actually despise the people who are in need. Its the lazy people who are claiming to help them. That don't work themselves. And appear to thrive off of these homeless peoples misfortunes.

I dont care how crazy or debilitated you are everyone has weaknesses and strengths. The whole part of modern life is figuring out what your good at. Society can't take that away from anyone. You have to love youself, you can't hope that others will love you for you.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kojack
I just look away from homeless people, cause their story tends to make close to no sense at all.

Like this one woman i would see walking through the train cars with her 4 year old daughter... or 7... begging for money to help them get through the day. ACS system in NYC sucks, yes, but damn. they would of had that mother go on welfare or took the child away from her.

majority of the times, its all just simple laziness. there was a clip on tv i saw some time ago of a woman begging on the streets for a while, then calls it a day and walks back to her BMW. you're homeless and driving a BMW...

wtf?

Would of? (You consider yourself so superior but you can't even use the language..)

How would taking the child away from her mother have helped anyone? You don't know their circumstances.
I suppose everyone's seem the same clip of the homeless woman with the BMW... and some of you even claim to have seen her in person!
That's a hallmark of a really good urban legend that is.
Vicky

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There's is no way this homeless guy makes $20 an hour EVERY hour he spends at his corner. He's lucky if he makes $20 in a day. Which he will likely spend on crack and/or booze.

The bottom line is these people are lazy, disabled, or mentally ill.

The 2 other guys had thier excuses i,e, injuries. This "I can make more here in an hour" was this guys excuse.

I've was homeless for almost a year. I panhandled on some of the best money makeing conrners of NYC, and no one makes no $20 an hour.

Sure they make have a good day where someone want's to get right with "God" and throws them a twenty. But instances like this are FEW and FAR between. Or during the Chistmas season you can do fairly well but still not $20 per hour steady. Never happened.

So I'm calling comeplete BS on this homeless guys story, it was just his excuse to get out of doing some honest work for honest money. What he most likely meant was, He'd rather make $20 sitting there for 10 hours, than he would WORKING for an hour. It's pure Laziness. That's the bottom line.

Do yourself a favor OP, don't pick up homeless people. and bring them to do work at your actual home, very dangerous. Maybe at a home your looking to fix up and sell (but then you might have a bunch of homeless people living there by sundown). What I'm tryin to say is just be careful. I applaud you efforts for trying to help these people. But MANY of them are mentally unstable an can GO OFF at the drop of a hat.

Don't give homeless people money either it only futhers the problem, as they're just gonna spend it on the addiction that got them in that spot.

If you want to help them, Give them some bottled water and a pre-package meal (they'll probably try and sell it for a quarter). Like I said anyone money you give them is most likely gonna go to drugs/alchohol.

Please OP if you are gonna do this again. Have a friend go with you, and carry some protection. Because like I said.., many homeless people are extremely mentally ill. They can be panaroid, delusional, and violent. So PLEASE be careful.

edit on 10-4-2011 by Nola213 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join