It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tried to Hire a Homeless Man Today

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Hey.. $20 for an hour, tax free.
That's like $30 before tax.
I would need to work 2 1/2 hour at my job, to get that amount of money after tax.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

This is all well and good, but it seams to me like such a man as the homeless person we're describing abandons the system so that he can walk around its perimeter, picking up pieces of excess "product" it drops (a weak analogy, but you get the idea..) Has this man truly left the system? Is he then truly free?

Not to mention the emotional manipulation that is sometimes involved in pan-handling... Just as a supporting anecdote, I remember wandering around Florence, Italy a few years ago. The Romani women (the same group commonly but usually pejoratively referred to as gypsies) would be scattered around densely populated regions begging for spare change. I noticed in one area a woman holding up a picture of her daughter, who was starving. As I continued to wander the city, I saw many more women begging for money for their starving daughters... all holding up a picture of that exact same child...

Maybe they have found a certain kind of freedom, but it isn't a freedom I am interested in. If the freedom they have found hasn't shown them the ills of emotional manipulation, then I'm not sure what we can really say about this "freedom"

I wont say it isn't a step in the right direction, but neither does it look like an enlightening road, in and of itself.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
I guess it gives new meaning to the phrase beggers cant be choosers. On a side note, where you ever concerned that had this person accepted and helpped you at your house, that possibly he would come back and rob you since he would know where you live. I am not trying to or intending to sterotype homeless people as criminals, its just that usually homeless people have lost hope and will do whatever they can to get money. This does not apply to your homeless man of course because he makes more than me.

The "they will know where you live" argument is so old...

That only matters if you have rare collections or such, any house is fair gain for the average burglar thug

ETA:

It appears that there are quite some rich homeless too, at least i've heard of a few around here.
edit on 11/4/11 by Romekje because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
20 bucks is not really a whole lot of cash. Call a pro landscaper and see how much they charge you for an hour of raking and an hour of bagging.
Then this guy is going to get filthy and he probably doesn't have a place to shower.
Next time, at least offer him enough to get a cheap motel so he can have a shower after the yardwork.
He is not 16 you know.

edit on 11-4-2011 by president because: cause i'm retarded.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
I guess it gives new meaning to the phrase beggers cant be choosers. On a side note, where you ever concerned that had this person accepted and helpped you at your house, that possibly he would come back and rob you since he would know where you live. I am not trying to or intending to sterotype homeless people as criminals, its just that usually homeless people have lost hope and will do whatever they can to get money. This does not apply to your homeless man of course because he makes more than me.

The "they will know where you live" argument is so old...

That only matters if you have rare collections or such, any house is fair gain for the average burglar thug

ETA:

It appears that there are quite some rich homeless too, at least i've heard of a few around here.
edit on 11/4/11 by Romekje because: (no reason given)

Yea, didnt Elizabeth Smart get kidnapped because her daddy was to cheap to hire contractors to do work around his home?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
There was once (and probably still is) a homeless lady who used to dress up like a member of the navy, back when they wore the bell-bottomed uniform known as "dunagarees," --the untility uniform. Anyway, she had her dungarees on all the time and had a full duffle bag of her belongings. She got the nickname of "G.I. Jane" because of this, and she would always hang out at the bus stops just outside the various gates of Pearl Harbor.

My route to work would take me past her, to and from. It was a New Year's Day and I saw her as I drove to the shoppette on Hickam AFB (adjacent and connected to Pearl Harbor). I thought I'd get her some goodies in a car-bag kind of way, lunchables, sodas, chewing gum, chips, other non-perishable foods.

So, there I was on my way back, and she was still at the bus stop. I pulled into the bus lane and rolled down my window and handed the bag filled with goodies to her and politely told her it was for her. She stared at me for the longest time, in silence, finally asking: "What's in the bag?"

I replied, "It's a care-bag. Lunchables, snacks, sodas, gum, other things that won't go bad."

In a dead pan delivery, she said to me, "I only accept nachos."

At that, I withdrew the bag, set it on the passenger seat, bid her good day, rolled up the window and immediately left. The lesson I learned that day was that some people are homeless by choice, most likely harbor some form of insanity, and are content with their lives. Some are beyond help. I'll never forget that line, and if I ever write a screenplay or novel, will be sure to include, "I only accept nachos" in the story somehow.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527
reply to post by onehuman

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this picture?

As every one knows, I am the most honest thing on this board when it comes to the whole out come of things...I no I will get a mod pm after this, but I have no other way to say-so please do not take offence and report me, its just an honest answer to your reply.

1. You probably looked like a serial killer or you look very mean, or strange.

2. Homeless humans no allot about the streets ‘Street Smart'=Surviving', in a way, that even a ' grown man' knows better then to take money from a stranger,’ LET ALONE TO SHOW A STRANGER WHERE they LIVE AT'.

'Inside the mind of a homeless man when approached by a stranger'

Op>I will give you 20 dollars if you come to MY HOUSE and rake my leaves.

HM> ‘he’s one of those Jeffrey dammar dudes, ‘omg’ what do I do‘?

‘My mother told me never to talk to strangers’

‘What guy is going to show me where he lives in the year 2011‘?

‘This guy is really strange’

‘I can see if he had no arms and legs, with does he want...really’

This guy rides in a cab, ive seen this movie before…so, so many times.

Damn! Homeless people and hookers must be the easiest pray for these weirdoes, he must think I’m dumb, wont eat me for dinner…putting some damn salt and pepper ,and some freaking hot sauce on my as, saying Bon Appétit .

So to break this down in the simplest way, ‘every thing isn’t about you’ it’s not about your lil offering, your lil generosity or the way you thought that 20 dollars was going to change their life.
POINT BLANK OF THE MATTER

They were scared as hell…….PERIOD!!!!!

Img527>>The comments was not partaking to the op in general, its just that some humans only think about them selves in a way they are selfish when thinking about another person view of the subject in a whole.
Not just homeless people, but in a general aspect of life

When you freely offer somebody to know your whereabouts of wear you lay your head at, ‘on the streets’ that spells trouble, in all shapes forms and sizes.

Ps, OP>don’t do it again ,or it might be trouble for you.
YOU NEVER LET A STRANGER NO WHERE YOU LIVE AT…NEVER!!!!
edit on 9-4-2011 by Immortalgemini527 because: (no reason given)

I was thinking ,do you think you can take a video next time of the event?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

A homeless mission near me bought out an old hotel. They use it to run a program that helps people transition from the street to working life again. I donate money and goods for them to sell in their thrift stores.

They have had nearly 150 people transition in the last three years. I had a conversation with the guy that runs the program. He told me that half of the people fall out of the program in the first month. He said that about 75% of the people fall out with in six months. They either start drinking heavily, doing drugs, or stop showing up for work. I give to that mission though. I do it because I know that, at least part of the money is going to honest people. Three quarters get lost to bums, but at least somebody gets something usefull out of it.

Maybe they have a similar place in Reno. I actually encourage everybody to look for a similar place to donate. Just rember the old saying "there, but for the grace of god, go I."

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

Sadly, there will be no "Next Time" event.I have to say for any "next time" I will resort to different avenues for help.

Though some on this thread have seemed to gather my heart really was in the right place, I have learned a lot as well which I won't go in to because it will probably be all twisted as well.

That is not to say I will not reach out in the future, but as they say, there are more the one way to skin a rabbit.

Live and learn I suppose....

edit on 11-4-2011 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

That's great. That means 25% are in it to change their lives.

That's worth it to me.

We DID have a mission here. But our profligate city council destroyed any ability for it to function properly.
edit on 11-4-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
You seem to put a lot of effort into replying to people, but no effort at all into reading what the person even said. Did you even read my posts? I don't see how you could have. Because if you did, you would realize I was NOT the person giving the homeless guy the stuff. Some lady ahead of me in a car was. The homeless guy gave ME the stuff, because he didn't want it.

While I would be happy to admit I may have been a tad confused, I must also admit that my typos are evidence of really very little effort and unfortunately, I am afraid I stand by my points. If you were not the one to give him the pastries, ok. I got that wrong. You are still the one disparaging him for not wanting the pastires because they were still free food, are you not? So change that one little variable and I stand by my point. Sorry.

Aside from that, the rest of your post is just silly.

Ok.

He is being a healthy eater by refusing starbucks snacks when he is homeless?

Yes. The same way I would commend his choice of giving away a piece of paper or a foil wrapper as eating that will do more harm than good to a starving person as well.

Are you kidding?

Not even a little.

What do you think the guy used his iphone to Google the nutrition facts?

You would need an Iphone to find out that butter flour and sugar is not really going to do a whole lot of good for you? That seems pretty basic to me. I do not have an Iphone and I know that.

Maybe he did, because I've seen many of these corner people changing shift and getting into brand new pickup trucks and the like, so it wouldn't be too far out there Anyway, using my computer, I did look up nutrition facts. You know what that stuff has in it? Vitamins, fiber, protein, fats, carbs, sugar. You know the things that make humans survive. We do need fat, we do need calories, and carbs, and sugar. Obviously some of the stuff wasn't the most healthy stuff in the world, but it is food. You will live if you eat it.

Oh yeah, I am reading about all the valuable nutrients in a starbucks rice crispy treat right now. I am going to advocate and all rice crispy treat diet for children. Hey, it has cereal in it! Vitamins!

However you are right about one thing, being charitable is about helping, and not about making you feel better about yourself. If you hold a sign that says "HUNGRY NEED FOOD AND/OR MONEY" and then get angry when someone gives you food, I'm sorry but I have no respect or empathy for you whatsoever.

I guess I am more curious then why you take the time to care. If some homeless person gets angry at what someone else gives them and you are just trying to be a good person, get over it and move on. Holding onto it and writing it down here as some example of a greater whole achieves what? Are you trying to discourage other people from trying to help other people? Are you just wanting to complain about someone less fortunate than you? If you want to help people, being positive might be a good start.

As for your cigarette analogy, again your logic seems like a huge fail to me.

Apparently. If you give a smoker a butt, you can feel all good about yourself and claim you gave them a cigarette, sort of. Will it actually take care of their need? No.
If you give a hungry man a rice crispy treat, you can feel all good about yourself and claim you gave them food, sort of. Will it actually take care of their need? No.

You seem to be missing the big picture. If I was hungry and someone offered me a greasy snack, I would take it. Why? I had a meal today with some value to it and I am fairly certain I have another one coming.
If I were starving and all I were ever offered were greasy snacks, I would realize that I then had to choose between starving to death or dying from malnutrition with a fat tummy. I guess it is a tough call and that homeless man made it. No more rice crispy treats for him. He is gonna need some protein at some point and the amount of proetein in a starbucks brownie is....? Right.

Being a smoker, who hangs out with many smokers quite often, I am grateful when I'm out of smokes and someone gives me the last half of their cig, or a few puffs or whatever. And when I do the same for other people, THEY are also grateful. Why wouldn't they be?

Because you are all smokers who apparently have regular access to cigarettes. Are you suggesting this homeless man sits around cookouts with his friends and so when one is low, they can share no problem or are you shifting the anaology to your circumstances so you can fail to see why I am addressing the circumstances of someone in need.

It seems like your whole deal is you feel people are entitled to whatever they want whenever they want it.

Whoa. That is pretty messed up right there. I have clearly stated more than once that if you do not want to give anything to anyone, do not give it to them. I never once said that anyone was entitled to anything. I just think instead of bitching about one homeless guy while Bank of America does the same crap seems a little pointless. Why pick on the skinny kid with asthma? Afraid of the bigger boys?

If you are complaining about being hungry, you give up your right to be picky about what you are going to eat. If you are complaining about needing a cig, then you give up the right to complain what brand or manner that cig is gifted.

I guess that is pretty easy to say from where we each sit. I have a fridge and two cartons of smokes. I am guessing you are doing allright where you are sitting at your computer as well, no?

Helping the needy should be the goal, not indulging the spoiled. You seem like you support the second idea.

Perhaps you can find a quote of one thing I said that would lead you to believe that?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

That's interesting because I have often thought about going up to one of these people and asking if they want to do some yard work for some fast cash.

I agree with your sentiments though and i am a bleeding heart liberal who regularly gives a handout to someone on the corner holding a cardboard sign. I have seen an exponential increase in homeless people around our city standing on the corner. A lot of them don't look like your stereotypical homeless person either, like my city was limited to. The thing is, for some of them, begging for money IS their job. I see these two guys (an older and younger male) on the SAME corner nearly EVERY...SINGLE...DAY playing a guitar and bongo drums asking for money. I'm thinking if they can stand there all day, they can go work at McDonald's for four hours. The sad thing is, they most likely do make way more money standing there than contributing to society.

I will end this on a good note, however, I have seen a guy standing on a corner frequented by many a homeless person and his cardboard sign say, "NEED A JOB". I hope I see him again soon, because I need some yard work done, too!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

you know that some people are homeless because of the decisions they made themselves, not corporations cutting jobs and putting people on the street, right?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

I agree some people are afraid of the unknown and stick to a sure thing.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

You know your life would be more stress free if you just gave the dude a quarter and raked your own yard

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I officially invite all of you good people to join my new church.
I'd invite the homeless but they don't have computers.
One of this new religion's purposes is too end homelessness by creating heaven on earth.
In heaven there are no homeless.

Praise George Carlin.
Please donate so we can develop a program that will take the extra homes away from the wealty to create camps for the poor. The streets are getting to crowded with all the undesirables.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 11-4-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce
There are a lot more people in this country than you think there are, that are one paycheck, one missed mortgage/rent payment or one injury away from being homeless.

This is true, and it's time more people realised that the person you're dissing today, could be you tomorrow..
Vicky

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

I'm thinking if they can stand there all day, they can go work at McDonald's for four hours. The sad thing is, they most likely do make way more money standing there than contributing to society.

Yeah, sure.... Did it ever cross your mind that maybe they've tried that? McDonalds if it's anything like McDonalds here, won't hire anyone over 18. Maybe that's because we have a youth wage, and our adult minimum wage is $12.50 an hour.
If those guys you're condemning can play music, good on them! Your sneer against them is just pathetic.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychederic

www.joebageant.com...

He tells of that huge class of unnoticed people in America, the white underclass of a thousand small towns and countryscapes, of Winchester, Virginia where he lived and by implication to Waldorf, Maryland and King George, Virginia and, well, all over the Carolinas and the Cumberland Plateau and … everywhere. America thinks it is a middle-class country. It isn’t. Joe knew.

We don't last, and there's no warranty

Don't you know we are suppose to help out foreigners first. That's what the Harvard yard folks say. And The Yale crowd says all our money is suppose to be poured into defense, and the H with everyone else. When are we going to stand up to the elites on both sides and demand our own to be helped first?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

This is common everywhere you go. Even though the world is facing an economic meltdown, people are still not willing, actually not willing is the wrong word to use more like 'can't be bothered' its the attitude that is sweeping the western world and before long there will be more people saying 'I can't be bothered' than people actually willing to go out and do a hard days work.

The world we live in is really screwed up and I personally can't see anyway out of it at present.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join