It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Unexplained Phenomena That You (Probably) Never Heard of Before

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
very interesting find! The vanished people one is frightening when you consider the fact....where did they go? and could it happen to me?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontProbeMeBro

2. FLIMMERN-GEISTS

The words “Flimmern” and “Geist” are Germanic in origin and translate as Flicker-Spirits or Flicker-Guides. This unexplained phenomenon was first described by the alchemist Jakob Bohme in the 16th Century as the ability to see shadowy figures out of the corner of your eye. Generally, these beings flicker in-and-out of a person’s peripheral vision and appear to be humanoid, dark and agile. The truth is that almost every person alive has at some time seen a fast moving shadow just at the edge of their vision and turned to look but seen nothing more. These observations are most often accompanied by shivers, chills and a sensation that something odd has happened. Scientists are quick to suggest that this phenomenon is just a “trick of the eyes” but fail to explain both how and why.

It is possible that these unexplained apparitions are just the hallucinations of the brain as it tries to decipher the edge of visual perception but others believe that it is in this marginal zone that the eye and the mind is able to perceive another more paranormal dimension. These Flickering Spirits are often described as being cloaked but those that have trained themselves to observe this phenomenon simply describe a blurred outline that can easily be mistaken for dark clothing. In late 16th century culture and superstition these Flimmern-Geists were largely associated with death and may well have given rise to the popular image of the “Grim Reaper” the personification of Death – a dark hooded figure that flickered in-and-out of a person’s vision shortly before they died. There is a current school of occult thought that proposes that these “Flicker-Ghosts” are somehow the guides that lead a person’s soul to the afterlife. The reality is that nobody really knows why or how individuals see these things but there is no doubt that many millions do. In fact, so many humans see them that they treat them as just-one-of those-things that, you know, just happen.

This one reminds me of one of my favorite posters here, HeyJude.

Very cool find, I love researching stuff like this too. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Cheers for this it was very interesting and kept me busy for a little while. Flag and star from me =]

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontProbeMeBro
I know how you folks LOVE your linky dinks, so you may find that HERE.

Enjoy!

Probe

Thanks! [smile]

You brought us this description and, it kinda freaked me out. As I read it, I became aware that there are many places that I have been that I knew I had been before. In fact, everywhere is somehow familiar in this sense:

Most people will experience Hyper Perception at least once or twice in their lifetime. This phenomenon usually occurs when a person visits a place they’ve never been before and yet experiences a very strong sense of familiarity. This should not be confused with déjà vu which is often fleeting and is really just a brief feeling of having seen or done something before. Hyper Perception is extended when the same person may perceive things about the place that they couldn’t possibly know. Unlike time slips or déjà vu, the feeling grows stronger the longer they stay and in some cases people have reported suddenly being aware of very clear memories of the place from other times often decades or even centuries in the past.

On the three-day bus ride from the west coast to the east, I would look out the window and see places and say to myself, Yep, I have/do/will live there. Grew up there...

And I realized it described what I sense, most of the time.

I'm not saying I can necessarily pinpoint changes - I don't know if I can, never really tried - but I do recall vaguely times as a child I asked about the whereabouts of something and was told there was no thing as I was asking about, yet I was sure it had been there, whatever it was. I'm just saying that I experience that familiarity and connection everywhere I go. So what does that say about me?

[gulp]

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
With regards to the impossible footprints of humans alongside dinosaurs these were admitted to had been faked by the family who discovered the dinosaur prints, however if i remember the numbers correctly they admitted to faking 12 footprints when 13 were found.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
What about this picture still unexplained

forgetomori.com...

A lot of people have investigated this photo. He sure sticks out like a sore thumb especially the sunglasses and t shirt.

edit on 8-4-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

actually it supposedly was debunked in the article interesting none the less.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
#8 is my favorite also! Is there any information on that photograph?
If anyone finds it, please post it! Thanks!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DontProbeMeBro

I can only speak about one of the mysteries which I have encountered:

"MYSTERY SCRATCHES"

Yes, when I wake up drunk.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Guys, I personally have experienced phenomenon n. 5, I even made a thread about it, check it right here
www.abovetopsecret.com...:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
My father had an exsperience once. He told me a man visited and said that he was a relation of his and he was looking into family history. According to my dad, he wore nice rings, watch, and nice cloths and an odd nice looking car out front. My dad talked to him for a little while and the man gave him a watch. He said it was an atomic watch. Whatever that meant, but the car parked out front was not even made yet. The man must have been taller than my dad, he gave me a height description with his hands. Well anyways, the gentleman left and that was that. strange. Maybe he was a time traveler. who knows, that was back in 1986 or 85 i think, maybe 82. The car was a mercedes, silver. They never made front ends like the way my dad described it. creepy. My life is full of creepy in it.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DontProbeMeBro

One of the best threads

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Great thread! How about another????

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I like the part about "the footprints".

When I was younger, my uncle would tell me about the human footprints he would see in the coal mine where he worked.

According to him, they were rock impressions down into the top layer of coal. This meant someone walked through the soft bog of material before it was covered over by sediment and became coal.

I never saw any of this myself but have no reason to think he just made it all up.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Permapoop
This is a very interesting read.
Thanks topic starter!

Have any of you experienced these Time Slips?

Can't say about the "time shifts', but I once worked in an area of very high static electricity.

From time to time it seemed as though the rest of the world would move over several inches and my field of view would take on a slightly different prespective like I had moved but I know I didn't.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I will give S & F for you my friend, very interesting information though at least for me.
I will give you a S & F for using your time at work in a proper way hahaha well done!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Maybe a piece of the universe is like colliding and information is getting mixed up which shows the person appearing and disappearing?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Thank you for having put a name to what I experienced as a kid

When I was about 4, I used to have a lot of dreams which would come true in some some way, and one dream I had was of me on a stairwell in a building fairly eloborate as it was carpeted entirely with this royal blue carpet, and in the dream no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get off the stairs, basically a never ending staircase, and in my dream a woman tried to help me, but I refused her help, anyway one day when I was 9, my cousin who lives in Devon (about 6 hours train ride away from where I live) was starting at a new school, which there was an induction day, and relatives were invited, so I went along, and the second I entered that building I knew I had been there before, I linked it to the dream, as it was exactly aas it was in the dream, and spent the entire day creeped out by the whole experience, up to this point I know it seems more of a prediction, but it wasn't bcause the experience was heightend by the sense that I had actually been there before, never knew until having read this thread about hyper perception, and it has never happened to me again since.

EDIT: Big S+F for you OP, oh and I love your avatar

edit on 8-4-2011 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
very interesting, our minds are weird so I wish i knew how much was real how much just our own minds.
The picture on the thread labled SCRATCHES is poison oak, it makes lines like that and you can see they have poison oak.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing OP!
I've heard of some but not all, I love stuff like this.

One story I really like that a lot of people haven't heard of is the Caldwell Mystery Thread.

On Sunday, Aug. 2, 1970 over the home of of Mr. and Mrs. Smith of 85 Forest St. in the suburbs of Caldwell in Essex County a thread appeared, coming straight down from the clouds/sky.
Some old school debunkers said it was from a blimp cruising the skies, but what made that theory unlikely was the fact that it stayed there day and night for the next week.
The string appeared to be of the 2 pound strength thickness and was rigid, with a silver tint when hit by light.
All the attention from the people traveling to see this strange string caught the attention of the police who tried to track down and pin point the location of where this string was coming from but they just eventually lost track of it when they got to the clouds.
The string "became" lose what they meant by this I have no idea, but eventually they say it disappeared.
A sample was said to have been taken to Dupont to be tested but nothing ever came from it.

Even if it were a hoax it's awesome to me.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I am going to have to look into the mystery scratches more. A few days ago, I woke up and had a strange feeling on the back of my lower leg/ankle area. I reached down to touch it, and it burned when I did. I looked and there was this scratch mark almost 2 inches long, perfectly straight, going in an up/down direction. I know it was not there when I went to bed because it was still raw and open. It has scabbed over now, but is quite painful. It puzzled me at the time because I just could not figure out where it had come from and I still have no idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join