It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New superbug found in India and U.K.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
From India: hisz.rsoe.hu...

A deadly superbug was found in about a quarter of water samples taken from drinking supplies and puddles on the streets of New Delhi, according to a new study. Experts say it's the latest proof that the new drug-resistant bacteria, known as NDM-1, named for New Delhi, is widely circulating in the environment - and could potentially spread to the rest of the world. The superbug can only be treated with a couple of highly toxic and expensive antibiotics. Since it was first identified in 2008, it has popped up in a number of countries, including the United States, Australia, Britain, Canada and Sweden. Most of those infections were in people who had recently travelled to or had medical procedures in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. "This is not a problem that is looming in the future ... there are people dying today from infections that can't be treated," said David Heymann, chairman of Britain's Health Protection Agency.

From United Kingdom: hisz.rsoe.hu...

Three people have tested positive for the new superbug gene NDM-1 after returning home to Wales from overseas trips. The trio, who are understood to live in South Wales, were tested under guidance issued to the NHS in a bid to control the spread of new antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Measures have been taken to contain the risk of this genetic resistance spreading in Wales. The presence of NDM-1 in Wales comes as the World Health Organisation today warns that the abuse of antibiotics threatens to return the world to an era before the discovery of penicillin. ...

The superbug NDM-1, is named after the gene that is responsible for its resistance to multiple antibiotics. Overuse of antibiotics in the past led to this kind of situation. Let your own immune system do the work, if you can of course.

There could be less complications from common flu and cold over time, as it seems from my own experience. It's been 3 years since my last antibiotics prescriptions and even the autumnal allergies are less problematic.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
aw great, you guys do know that there are only about 3 brand new antibiotics that we have, the rest have been seen by the bacterial world, our time is coming closer & closer to the end

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Nature will find a way...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db91eae9f3ec.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
They were talking about this on the local news. It freaked me out because I have been feeling sick for 4 days now. Is here in the United States;the news said it was but did not say anything about where. How can a news outlet talk about a deadly superbug and then go quickly onto the next story? Is it too big of a threat or too little of a threat?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
How about this one? USA SUPERBUG

This one kills 40 percent who get it and is killing people in CA rite now.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
How come the cdc has no clue about any of these superbugs I call up to ask about them. They ask me what is a superbug? I had to explain to them it was a virus that was resitant to antibotics that is attaches itself to another host diease making it deadly.
They sure do not have a clue over at the CDC!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

They are too busy trying to control information about the spread of radioactive elements from the Japan nuclear crisis, and any possible affects on the health of Americans.

By the way, now would be a good time to invest heavily in conventional treatments for cancers... There is going to be a massive surge in business in the months and years ahead.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I think you maybe right when I called into cdc they gave me a link about the radiation from Japan that was the first message you get when you call in. Hmmmm... I am going to look at that link real fast.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Yeah, by all means, check up on that... Don't take my word for anything, no one ever does.

I have no idea what I am talking about.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I had to explain to them it was a virus that was resitant to antibotics

It was my understanding that antibiotics were for bacterial infections only. I didn't think they worked on viral infections.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by cazzy2211

It doesn't. The antibiotics make bacterias absorb water until they burst.

One of the things that differentiate bacteria from a virus is the size. Another one is the way it'll reproduce. Viruses use already existing genetic material from a cell to make copies of itself. The bacterias use nutrients available to reproduce and have their own genetic material.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

So it's back to drinking beer then..
Like I ever needed much of an excuse.

top topics

join