It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heading for the hills: Probably a fatal choice!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Anyone else on here read and/or seen the movie

THE ROAD (by Cormac McCarthy) ?

Scary look at what it might be like.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Funny you mentioned Walnuts..
Just last summer I had an In-Law come out to visit... a certified city boy, who took one look at my enormous walnut trees and asked...
"Say what kind of fruit tree is that?"
Walnuts grow as a very un-walnut looking green ball...
Naturally my answer was...
"Your gonna starve to death if your microwave kicks out aren't you?"
He said "Pardon...?" I replied, "It's a tennis ball three... you know there ripe when they turn yellow!" He just shrugged and "Oh, I see..."
Gotta love city boys right, if nothing else than for a good laugh now and again

PS read the book one second after... while I don't see the EMP thing happening the way things quickly breakdown is pretty much how it's going to go
edit on 6-4-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Everyone is worried about other people taking their stuff. They should worry about animals too - mice, rats. coons and coyotes. I have had every single one of them come into my camp or even tent to get food, A coyote stole my backpack (30lbs) because I had forgotten about an empty ziploc bag that had jerky in it. I found my pack 50 yards away from my tent. That rascal ate through the backpack only to find an empty bag.
I've found mice in my pack on several occasions which is why I carry mousetraps now. No joke, mice and rats carry the deadly Hantavirus which is easily transmitted and usually fatal. It seems more prevalent in the west and midwest though I would be careful wherever I am.
I thought the movie The Road was ludicrous, people cannot survive running through the kinds of conditions they showed.
Stay dry, stay warm, stay hidden - that's the best way to survive.
And put your food up high hanging from a branch where neither bears or raccoons can get at it, or you will have none.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

LOL DaddyBare!

Glad you didn't fill him in....

Precisely my thoughts! The city boys are gonna be in real trouble - don't know how to use tools, rebuild engines, farm (even on a tiny level), hunt/fish, and at least around here - none of the people in the "beige neighborhoods" are even allowed to have wood-burning fireplaces, let alone the fact that they mostly have no trees at all and are miles from any open land. And aside from that, their "home improvement warehouses" don't even stock the stuff you'd need for it!! (Our local ones are chock full)

I am familiar with the bluffs and trails along the river because I rode my horses down there for years, and I have permission to be in the orchard and fields that are no further than 100 yards away out my front door...

Likewise, we have a whole slew of "truck farmers" who every year open up stands for fresh, home-grown fruits and veggies...and our neighborhood/community is one of the friendliest I have ever known, and I've travelled quite a bit. That's the heartland for ya.

But then again, maybe we don't want the city boys around anyway, eh?? Survival of the best-prepared.

The neighborhood I live in (close-in suburb) still allows outdoor burning, wood-burning fireplaces, fireworks, yard chickens....etc. MUCH more down to earth and nature-friendly area. And, fortunately, a well-kept secret.
Which I hope to keep that way......BWAhahahahaha....

And speaking of "safe havens" - I propose starting a hometown ATS chapter - u2u me your zip codes, and I'll see what I can figure out. I have locations for community gardens very nearby as well...

So many members are prone to say "what are you doing about it?" Well, that's where I'm starting - let me know - I have lots of unoccupied buildings nearby - and live next to an enormous rarely-used church that could house bunches...Let's see what skills and local talent and resources we have...right here at home.

Because, if the big one comes, our computers will no longer be here to use as a means to commiserate (or ridicule) one another.

Cheers!

edit on 6-4-2011 by wildtimes because: additional thought

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

S & F Bare.

It would be suicidal for almost anyone to head off to the hills or woods without at least a passable knowledge of the area they were trying for. Gotta know where you can forage / hunt, get water and make at least a minimal shelter against the elements.

I'm a country boy from rural Virginia, so I know a lot about the different zones from the coast to the tidewater to the rolling hills and mountains there. I've been living in rural Florida for 10 years now, and have made an effort to get to know the natural resources here.

Otherwise I'd probably be almost a bad off as a New York born and bred city guy. People need to recon several areas, maybe make some local connections by going hunting or fishing in that area one weekend every month or two. Get your face known at the local hangouts, shooting club, gunshop, hell even the Moose Lodge, lol.

It also helps to know about any occupants you might encounter, on or off the grid.

Down here if you go hiking around in some of the woods you are liable to run into a meth-lab in a trailer; and they do shoot first.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Reminds me of this 50's black and white move I once saw. The father bugged out to the woods with his family and found out there were others that had the same idea.They were running around in the woods stealing and robbing each other. It was his neighbors and friends that were stealing from each other. I wish I could remember the movie but it shows how everyone has the same idea and being in the woods is just as risky as staying home in some ways.

I really wish I could find the movie because it was pretty good.

Anyway, good post OP!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
"Heading for the hills: Probably a fatal choice!" was an excellent title choice for this thread. Going by several comments posted by folks who proudly live in non-city areas the lack of love is quite apparent. I've seen this mentality in many movies too and wonder where it stems from. Kudos for keeping the hate alive, tradition is an important thing.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
"Heading for the hills: Probably a fatal choice!" was an excellent title choice for this thread. Going by several comments posted by folks who proudly live in non-city areas the lack of love is quite apparent. I've seen this mentality in many movies too and wonder where it stems from. Kudos for keeping the hate alive, tradition is an important thing.

I dont see it as keeping the hate alive as you say. Its not about hatred at all. Its a simple fact that many people dont have a clue how to live off the land. Imagine for a second if you will a family of country people were to move into the house or apartment next to you. Now imagine that those country people didnt know where the grocery store was, city hall, the library or countless other places that you take for granted everyday. Now imagine that those same people knocked on your door to ask you a question about your city a couple of times a day or asked to borrow your car or to use your law mower. It would get annoying pretty quick. Now what if those people just started "borrowing" your stuff while you were out, you wouldnt want those hill billies living next door to you either.
So basically unless you have some sort of service to share stay where you are at and learn to adapt to your situation give it a few months and then come look us "hill people" up. Shucks, I'll even give you a piece of home made corn bread and a mouth full of chew maybe even let ya give my horse a whirl and you help me haul water from my spring
It takes someone with hate inside of them to see hate in something the read my friend ~Living the good life in Tennessee~
edit on 6-4-2011 by lostsock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lostsock

lostsock thank you for your reply. I disagree with your attempt to turn my comment into a reflection of hostilities you may feel I harbor. Your statement: "It takes someone with hate inside of them to see hate in something the read my friend" is ridiculous in itself. It takes a fool to deny truth. I did not arrive at my conclusion based on hate I have for someone, their feelings or situation. As I stated in my original post, I based my statement on what I read.

Here are examples from posts in this thread:

“..otherwise you might end up stopped at a road block by someone like me,one with little sense of humor when it comes to trespassers and very well armed…”

In time of crisis and need this person is willing to block a road (most roads are public) by showing a force of weapons.

“..Farmer Brown and his dozen or so kids would be out blowing bridges and staging dead cars to stem the tide..”

Again, here is the sentiment that people in rural area will resort to crime to bar people who are under duress, in time of crisis and need, from even seeking safe passage on public roads.

“..do ya think a city boy would know ya gotta pluck that bird before you boil it??? “

The assumption of ignorance is not complimentary.

"Your gonna starve to death if your microwave kicks out aren't you?"

This is an extra sweet thing to say to a child. Here is a rural person that chose to crack wise and toss insults at a boy from a city who asked a question about a walnut tree. This could have been an opportunity to teach the child something and maybe even bond a bit.

“The city boys are gonna be in real trouble - don't know how to use tools, rebuild engines, farm (even on a tiny level), hunt/fish,..”

Stereotypes are rarely a compliment, and as I mentioned in my original post, I wonder where this mindset stemmed from to begin with. Here someone feels comfortable in using a blanket generalization that assumes people who live in cities are alien to the concept and use of tools, rebuilding an engine, farming on even a tiny level or how to hunt/fish. I am not going to insult anyone by mentioning that if they got off the farm and experienced life a little they wouldn't view a huge population of people through the eyes of someone visiting animals in a zoo.

“But then again, maybe we don't want the city boys around anyway, eh??”

And there you have it, that one speaks for itself plain and simple. I saw hate in what I read simply because I understand what the words I read mean. I call it they way I see it. I've got nothing but love and good feelings for redneck hillbilly inbred folks who speak of toting guns, blowing up bridges and blocking roadways because they perceive the presence of people from outside their closed-off little piece of heaven as a threat. -- now THAT ignorant sample sentence is what I would type and actually feel if I had this hate inside me that you imagine. As it is, I have to stand by my post for the samples I listed above. I call it as I see it, and when I see so much thinly-veiled animosity I comment upon the display.

Again, thank you for your reply.

edit on 4/7/2011 by LargeFries because: to correct typo in 1st para.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Apologies, duplicate post
edit on 7-4-2011 by marsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I am surprised that you saw hate, I saw generalizations and a bit of Macdonald's marketing spin. Which is what many of us do.

I have to agree having country in the blood, often indicates some practicality especially in country ways. My nephew's school in the city was primary interested in drama, ice skating and modeling. He now goes to school in the country, and is learning engineering based subjects. I rationalized the difference based on the communities ideals. and figured that a male on a farm dancing around and singing wouldn't last long, someone would give him the biff. I have met many from both with skills and lack of skills. But I have to say, I would prefer to share the trench with a savvy farm boy if it was my choice, but a city fella will do just fine.

By the end of the day, those in the cities will not be leaving the cities. And the country folk will only have to deal with a few early birds, stragglers, the maundering army and other various zombies. Felling a few trees to your own area might be a help, but keeping the zombies in their cars is possibly best, at least they are not scattered and you clearly know how many you have to deal with.

Most of the walkers wont ever get 20 miles from their abode, before they give up or perish. I get the idea if it ant on your back or in a cache, you are not going to get it, humans are like locusts. The problem will be serious if the water is contaminated, lets say min 2 liters a day if it ant 50 degrees lots more if it is, plus a bit of food and you have to carry how much on your back. Most families would be best to stay put unless they had to relocate. And yes a person with a gun is very convincing, one can only hope that its a good human on the end of it.
edit on 7-4-2011 by marsend because: typos

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

A+ movie, very scary stuff, very well done. On movies I thought that the Day After was like kinda garden, compared to the BBC's movie Threads, it is all scary reality.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I agree, i was just going to say the same thing until I read your post.

It sounds like to me, other Americans are their own worst enemy and certain people will stab each other in the back to benefit themselves.

Blowing up bridges, so people are less able to escape!
I'm sure Al-Qaeda would love to recruit some of the people on here for their contempt of their fellow citizens.

Yeah, I know it's about a SHTF situation but still!

I'm sure there's plenty of people wishing for such a situation so they start blowing the heads of people, beause they can.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I would definitely pitch in toward a group meeting place for folks in my general area. I live in a very small town in central Illinois, at least 40 miles to the nearest city, [Terre Haute Indiana] and have about an acre of tillable ground. Part is already planted. No where near a major river, not prone to flooding. Good defendable position. Startin' to sound like a resume. But, it is, isn't it.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
"those that don't learn to live together are going to die together"
takle a look at the places where things have allready gone wrong is intelligent recon

assumptions are always assumptions and are dangerious...
My mother the Vetrinarian, who raised us in the country...
was a city girl

if anyone passin through to get home
has to shoot their way down the high way...
it might be handy to have people around
who know how to stich

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

It sounds like to me, other Americans are their own worst enemy and certain people will stab each other in the back to benefit themselves.

History around the world has shown the opposite to be true. Another ATSer made a terrific post about it, but I can't find it.

Anyway, in a hypothetical discussion about "defensible positions," preparation, panic, and chaos, of course the discussion leans that direction, but in a real life situation people tend to react in a very helpful and benevolent manner.

Of course there will always be criminals and opportunists, but they are largely the exception not the rule. As for the inner city vs. the country. Population density will always equal more crime. Less resources, more people and simple statistics.

**If 5% of people are going to react violently, and you have 500,000 people in a city, that menas 25,000 of them are going to be violent.
**If you have 40,000 people in a city, that means 2000 are going to be violent.

25,000 violent people in close proximity with limited resources is a bad thing. 2000 violent people in a spread out rural area and plentiful resources are not much of a factor.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Wow, talk about hate!!

I won't even bother quoting the person who quoted everyone else, except for the glaringly obvious attitude in their

signature: when in trouble or in doubt run in circles scream and shout

But just so ya know:
I am not a country boy. I am not a city slicker. I am certainly not a redneck hillbilly (though that term is highly offensive to people I know who live in the country).

The point of DaddyBare's OP was to illuminate the different scenarios possible if disaster strikes. Some people think they would head for the hills. Some people think they would hunker down and kill anyone who comes near.

Some people think they will flee to ask for help from others who they call "redneck inbred hillbillies".

The subject matter is survival, not lifestyle.

Spending time accusing people of wanting to kill everyone, and of being violent, uncompassionate hayseeds is an Excellent Example of bigotry, The bare fact is that many people who live in cities were not educated in survival skills, PERIOD. If everyone is struggling to survive, the people with the know-how will do better than the people begging for help from others.

It doesn't make them bad people. I would rather have someone on my team who knew how to pitch in than someone who didn't know the first thing about making do under difficult circumstances.

Some of you calling people haters are way out of line. But, I'm beginning to expect there to be negative hateful remarks in every single forum I read...my question is, why are you on ATS if you "hate" what you read and it bothers you so much?

I am a retired psychotherapist. I tell it like I see it, too.
I am just as comfortable in a city as I am in the country. I have a track record of being able to engage in MEANINGFUL, interesting conversation and bond with people of all sorts. All races, all ages, all backgrounds, all socio-economic levels. I have helped more people than I can count to sort out their issues and make choices that improve their lives and outcomes. I have explored many different lifestyles, and always keep my mind open.

That's what I would have expected from ATS members: open minds, thoughtful regard for other ideas. Not bashing and ridiculing people who happen to think differently. Perhaps it is for some an opportunity to start learning - "even to bond" - by engaging with others whose skills and knowledge might one day save your life.

edit on 7-4-2011 by wildtimes because: typo

edit on 7-4-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'll always remember the day I brought my young wife back to the farm I grew up on from lovely So.Cal. As we got closer we were driving between two corn fields and she asked "What kid of trees are those?" Stereotypes have some basis.
Does a small farm need a city to survive? Does the city need a farm to survive?

R
edit on 4/7/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I am certainly not a redneck hillbilly (though that term is highly offensive to people I know who live in the country).

There is no such thing as a "redneck hillibillly." If you knew folks in the country of either persuasion, you would know the difference.

To folks in the hills (Northern Arkansas/Southern Missouri, Appalachia, etc):
Hillbilly is a term of endearment. That is what they are, always have been, and don't want to change.
Redneck is those rowdy boys down South that are always stirring up trouble, living life the hard way, looking for a fight, and still not happy about the result of the Civil War.
"Hillbillies" think "Redneck" is an insult.

Now, to folks down South:
Redneck is a term of endearment. It is those patriotic, high-spirited folks that grew up around here. Make their life the hard way, are willing to fight for what they believe in. Can see the difference between right and wrong and are willing and eager to make you see it as well!
Hillbilly folks are those backwards people up in the hill living the "Deliverance" lifestyle. In-bred, uneducated, still running moonshine 100 years after prohibition has ended.
"Rednecks" think "Hillbilly" is an insult.

Now, I have no idea what a "Hillbilly Redneck" would look like, but I'm sure some city boy thinks it would be an insult, when in fact it would just confuse the country boy they were trying to insult. Country folks of the Hillbilly and/or Redneck persuasion are pretty simple and direct. They tend to say exactly what they mean and mean exactly what they say, but that doesn't mean you will understand it.

edit on 7-4-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Don't misunderstand... I'm not talking about hate... I'm talking about survival....
Lets face facts... I own a very small farm... what little I produce really isn't enough to sustain my family without supplementing, by hunting or trips to the market... as a father my sole focus is keeping my little family fed safe from harm and allowed to grow into healthy adults... now throw in several thousand displaced refugees... yes my heart goes out to them but when it comes down to making a hard choice... taking in strangers or taking care of my family... to me the choice is a no brainer...

besides what I was really eluding to is the competition between refugees, look at what happened in Haiti... food rations forcibly taking from mothers and small children by grown men, thugs really... why, because they could and they did without thought to the suffering they caused....

A big and critical part of survival is having mental fortitude and moral compass to make the hard choice... personal experience has taught me sometimes your forced to make the choices all too quickly... time given to mull it over comes and goes in the span of a muzzle flash
edit on 7-4-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join