It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This weather is NOT normal

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ventessa

See... that's the problem. Feelings are subjective. I too FEEL like it's hotter in the summers now that I am well over 40 but it's not because the summers ARE hotter, it's because my body is older and does not cool itself as efficiently as it used too in my mispent youth. The ONLY way anyone can make a definitive claim about the weather or climate is by referencing previous years data. The other thing that I find just slighty irritating about this thread is that no one has acknowledged the fact that weather and climate patterns run in cycles. Those cycles are influenced by re-occuring events like the El Nino, Solar activity, etc.... How does anyone of us know if there are weather cycles that re-occur every hundred years or so? If you are basing your alarmist opinion on such a short span of years, like an average lifetime, then your opinion doesn't mean squat!

When someone says: "Well, I'm an old fart and I don't recall weather like this when I was a kid" I have to shake my head and say: "Who effin' cares!!" THIS IS ATS not the GD'd corner store w/Andy, Barney and Aunt B waxing poetic about the "good old days".

So... if you are quite through chastizing me for my abhorant behaviour..
I will bid you a Good Day!... I said Good Day!!
edit on 5-4-2011 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

Wow!!! I had never thought about that! But it's such a marvelous idea!
Like, people used to know about Earth and its behaviour patterns, but
all this knowledge got lost with the years passing... Great thinking! I
can't tell if this is actually the case, but you just provided us with a new
enigma

Greece. The weather isn't normal here either. We have too much cold
for many many days in the row, which is highly unusual for April, then,
when the sun comes out, it feels way too hot! Really weird... I came across
a very interesting article in a trustworthy news site (it's actually number one here) saying that a massive decrease of the ozon layer
took place because of this unusually cold winter worldwide, and this is already
affecting Russia, and it is bound to affect Greece (since the air is moving) in a
couple of weeks. It also said that the radiation from the Sun is going to be very
very dangerous around that time, and even more dangerous for babies. Isn't
this proof though that the weather is not normal right now? Or, at least, normal as how we have come to know and understand it. I'm not saying it means
something else, just noticing and reporting. I will post the link, but unfortunately it is in Greek.
I will also post the Google translation, but in case you want to, I could actually translate it
myself. I know I'd do a better job that Google

Here's the article
news.in.gr...

And here's the translation
Athens
Due to unusually low temperatures, the ozone layer over the Arctic has been diluted by 40% last time. As warned by Christos Zerefos, Secretary of the International Ozone Commission, in about two weeks, the dilution will be extended over Greece, increasing levels of ultraviolet radiation.

"The increased levels of ultraviolet radiation measured at high latitudes, are expected in the coming days will occur over Russia, but over Alaska. The depletion of the ozone layer is extremely high and it is expected that the next one to two weeks, air masses, which will move from higher latitudes to lower, including Greece, will carry air with very little protective ozone, "said Mr Zerefos, President of the Board at the Athens Observatory.

As indicated, the dilution record in the Arctic ozone due to extremely low temperatures observed since the beginning of winter until the end of March.

"The extreme situation of cooling the lower atmosphere and thinning of the ozone layer is mainly due to climatic anomaly that occurred at high altitudes over the past few months. Part of the climate anomaly may be associated with the ongoing anthropogenic greenhouse gases, "he says.

As for the risk from UV radiation, Zerefos says, "even if it's still April, needs increased attention to sun exposure, especially for young children.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

I think you have a point. I mean, the weather might be unusual for us now,
but Earth runs in cycles of repetition, so whereas this seems funny to us,
it could be absolutely normal many years ago. Plus, these cycles repeat
themselves not necessarily in "human" time, but in "Earth-Planet" time,
which would be too long for us to witness in a lifetime.
Still, for us who are used to different weather patterns,
this weather is actually unusual.
edit on 5-4-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinkgomo653
reply to post by Nephalim

I'm FROM TX, so I know what TX weather is.

And having hail and a cold front doesn't make it Spring.

Are you saying that it isnt spring? Its hot as hell right now and froze overnight..what about your comment makes you right? ie what is your point exactly? If your from Texas then you KNOW weather patterns vary all over this state, while it was freezing in Dallas not more than a month or two ago it was sunny in West Texas at the same time. My comment stands. Why youd disagree I have no clue.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

No one dismissed the fact that earth goes through cycles. Part of the reason of the post is to figure out what is causing the weather to be so unusual. Be it a normal cycle, or a melting glacier, or cows passing gas, what ever. They are asking for suggestions. Calling people old farts, and old timers won't do this person or their post any good. So unless you want to do a ton of research and prove that things ARE in fact normal, you should keep the insults to yourself. And good day to you too sir!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Imogene72

Yay! Someone who get's it! Star for you... !

I know... but I can't help being snarky... I was born this way.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ventessa

No one dismissed the fact that earth goes through cycles. Part of the reason of the post is to figure out what is causing the weather to be so unusual. Be it a normal cycle, or a melting glacier, or cows passing gas, what ever. They are asking for suggestions. Calling people old farts, and old timers won't do this person or their post any good. So unless you want to do a ton of research and prove that things ARE in fact normal, you should keep the insults to yourself. And good day to you too sir!

Blah blah blah blah.... you sure do a lot of talking without managing to say anything. Why do you feel the need to reprimand me so? If you have such a problem with me then send me a PM. Then we can go at it in private....

back to topic....

"figure out what is causing the weather to be so unusual"

That statement assumes that the weather is UNUSUAL, I contend that it is NOT unusual. WHY can't you understand that???

"So unless you want to do a ton of research and prove that things ARE in fact normal, you should keep the insults to yourself. "

OP says... "The weather is not normal"..... I don't need to prove a damn thing... the OP made the statement, not me...

who did I insult?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Lmaorof.
Prove the weather is NOT unusual. Please and Thanks.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Lmaorof.
Prove the weather is NOT unusual. Please and Thanks.

Logic falacy... you can't prove a negative. It's called an argument from ignorance and in your case I'd say that the name is appropriate.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

You ARE snarky..! But you made me laugh, so that's ok!!!

P.S. I'd like you to read my previous comment (page 6, as well) if
you find some time and tell me what you think about it too. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I personally feel weather has not changed at all.

Our average age is a tiny window to perceive any true change in it. Weather is locally and temporarily erratic and values must be observed in long enough frames.

Even if there was a winter-less or summer-less year it wouldnt be strictly important to weather.

I think we've been pushed to believe weather is changing. I dont care if it's been due to real concerns from short-view people or green energy interests or whatever other demented purpose, I frankly dont care.

Weather changes in thousand years scales and only long-term elements like Earth's crust can witness that.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imogene72

You ARE snarky..! But you made me laugh, so that's ok!!!

P.S. I'd like you to read my previous comment (page 6, as well) if
you find some time and tell me what you think about it too. Thanks!

I saw that! Gave you a STAR!! woot!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

I'm from wisconsin. On the 1st of april we had over an inch of snow then on the 3rd we had severe T-Storms. It dosn't happen that quick. Not even in wisconsin.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

You sir are a meanie poo poo head. I have no use for people like you.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerman24

That's kind of how it's been here. Snow one day, and 80 degree's the next.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Brisbane weather has been a bit whacky too
It started with the Jan floods. Pretty much the whole of Queensland ended up under water (so to speak)
That was quickly followed by a few cyclones, Yasi being one of them.
Yes we get cyclones up north all the time, but not as many as we have had this season. Add to that, we have not had a summer either. Normally we get temps around the 30 - 35 degree C and lows of around 25 degrees C with stupid high humidity where you just lay there and sweat.

We have 2 days in total this season that even comes close to that

Last winter was really mild too, so let us see what happens this winter

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

You sir are a meanie poo poo head. I have no use for people like you.

Agreed... Star for you too!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Truce. I'm going to do some research later and see just how unusual the weather really is for my area and try to properly contribute to the thread.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Had some bad storms today in Florida which actually dropped the temperatures to quiet chilly
. It's usually burning outside by now.
edit on 5-4-2011 by prolific because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1FullHouse

More than 1150 severe weather reports in last 24 hours is a new record

So this is not normal. In fact, it is record breaking.

Sorry... didn't mean to over look this.

I have a question about this report.

Is the new record in reports due to the fact that there is more reporting from National Weather Service officials, emergency managers, and trained Skywarn spotters?

Why yes! It does!! it even says so in the article.... hehe...

While no other 24 hour period has experienced this amount of severe weather reports, it does not mean it was the most severe 24 hours on record. Increased reporting from National Weather Service officials, emergency managers, and trained Skywarn spotters can be attributed to the spike.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join