It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists try to unlock Serpent Mound secrets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
March 29, 2010

LOCUST GROVE - Scientists have been trying to uncover the secrets of Serpent Mound for 165 years. A new effort, which will include ground-penetrating radar and radiocarbon dating of soil samples, is to begin April 8 at the Adams County earthwork.

Nearly a quarter-mile long as measured by the centerline of its curves, Serpent Mound is the largest prehistoric effigy of its kind in the world. It was built on a ridge above the valley of Ohio Brush Creek by an unknown people, perhaps 1,000 to 3,000 years ago.

Proving when it was built could indicate who those people were - and why they undertook an engineering feat that demonstrates a sophisticated understanding of geometry and astronomy, said William F. Romain of suburban Cleveland, an archaeo-astronomer who will lead a team of archaeologists.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/88d71f050cc2.jpg[/atsimg]
Nearly a quarter-mile long as measured by the centerline of its curves, Serpent Mound is the largest prehistoric effigy of its kind in the world. / Provided/Ohio Historical Society

Link

Interesting that archaeologists are investigating these Serpent Mounds right here in the United States. Hopefully they will finally find out who built them and why.

Some think it represents the Sun, others think it is religious, still others think the configuration tells when to plant the corn. Maybe the mystery will finally be solved, more then likely it will just give us more questions.

My feeling is that we won't hear anymore about it for a long time.

More information:

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 3-4-2011 by Aquarius1 because: date

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6fa4e4707262.png[/atsimg]

Here is a plan view of the Inca capitol of Cuzco compared to a sketch of a puma.
In the eastern traditions plans of settlements are frequently modeled after a spirit totem.

I thought the Serpent Mound was just an example of how The serpent People
would plan out the mounds along which they would pitch their Tee Pee's.

David Grouchy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dae7ca45ed6e.png[/atsimg]
edit on 3-4-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Excellent find, Star and Flag.

This sort of thing is why I'm on ATS, not for all the "something will happen on Mar 31, Apr 3, or Apr 6" crap.

There are too many DOCUMENTED mysteries in our past to investigate, without all the unnecessary "this might happen" stuff.

I'm generating a very keen interest in archaelogical weirdness that just can't be explained by the modern human timeline.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Never mind. I apologize for my insignificantly, un-thought out remark
edit on 3-4-2011 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

It's always nice to see things of this nature "in my backyard". I'm about 10 miles away from Serpent Mound and have been to family reunions there as a child. It is a very interesting place. Several years ago, the "New Age Movement" held what they called "A Haromic Convergence", serveral hundred to a few thousand people attended this gathering. Another note of interest is that several years ago, across the road in a cornfield, a crop circle was found. I can't remember the findings as to a hoax or unexplained though.

Posting a FLAG for my back-yard!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

This is certainly related, thank you for posting this information.

I would imagine that eventually there will be other mounds found, because of vegetation and trees they are hidden from us.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob1971

Lucky you, hopefully you will beable to observe some of the excuvation, of course that is if they let you any where near it, if it were me I would volonteer, even if it were to bring water or pick up food for them.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Excellent find, Star and Flag.

This sort of thing is why I'm on ATS, not for all the "something will happen on Mar 31, Apr 3, or Apr 6" crap.

There are too many DOCUMENTED mysteries in our past to investigate, without all the unnecessary "this might happen" stuff.

I am with you, we hear so many stories and poof they disappear faster then we can read them, in this case we may be able to follow their progress.

Thank you for posting.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Perhaps it represents Kundalini energy or helical pattern of DNA .
Like the caduceus this symbolism goes way back.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
If you go
Serpent Mound State Memorial, 3850 Ohio 73. The park is six miles north of Ohio 32, an 82-mile drive east of downtown Cincinnati.

www.ohiohistory.org/places/serpent

If you live in he area and plan to visit you can information at the above link for days and hours. It is run by the Ohio Historical Society.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The most ancient of Ohio's forgotten mysteries, Adams County’s Serpent Mound, is not haunted in the classical sense. No vengeful ghost walks there at midnight (as far as anyone can tell); no axe murders are reenacted when the moon is full. But to the ancient Indians who built it, the great effigy mound definitely was a spiritual place.
Human beings have lived in North America since the Wisconsin glacier retreated in about 15,000 BCE. The first cultures-the Fluted Point, the Plano, the Archaic-left behind little more than carved stone tools and, occasionally, human remains. It wasn’t until the advent of the Adena Culture around 1000 BCE that the earliest residents of North America began building burial and effigy mounds. The Adena are best known for the former, and because of the number of burial mounds they left behind a lot has been learned about who they were. It’s known that they hunted and farmed in the Ohio Valley for several thousand years. The men grew to an average height of about 5”6’, the women to 5”2’. Adena Indians modified their bodies in some extreme ways. One common practice was head deformation. A board would be fastened tightly across a baby’s head for weeks, flattening his skull as it developed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f623b211038.jpg[/atsimg]

www.forgottenoh.com...

Some more interesting information and history at the link. There is much speculation, all of it mysterious, looking forward to some answers.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I had no idea that this even existed until now Aquarius! Thanks for sharing this. I began to look into the structure more and found a couple of very interesting things. The serpent mound isn't the only mound in Ohio. There is what is referred to as the Aligator Mound in Granville Ohio presumably built by the same people as the builders of the Serpent Mound.

The “Alligator” Mound is one of the two effigy mounds in Ohio. An effigy mound is a raised pile of soil and/or rock in the shape of an animal. One of the most famous is Great Serpent Mound; Ohio’s other effigy mound, located in Adams County, Ohio. The exact reason for their construction is not know but it is believed that they were for religious purposes. Archaeologist and the general public still debate over the kind of animal that is represented, many claim it is an opossum, or panther, or mystical cryptozological creature. What do you think? It really doesn't look like an alligator does it?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77a2fdfa4764.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/361c25f8bb5b.jpg[/atsimg]

www.geocaching.com...

More interesting still is what is called the Newark Earthworks in Ohio as well. This site encompasses a bunch of other earthen structures that can be viewed at this site and the site is called the Ancient Ohio Trail. Very interesting images and texts there.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9dd45324cd28.jpg[/atsimg]

Below is another image from the Newark Earthworks in Ohio. I included it because I thought it was really cool. It may also tie into something toward the end of this post.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d14dda355997.jpg[/atsimg]

Now all this mound building and earthworks going on seemed to remind me of the famous Inca Lines. I always believed that the Inca Lines were meant to be seen from above. I believe they were some sort of navigational tool actually. Anyway, that is what I was reminded of when I was checking all of this stuff out.

So I looked into this stuff more and more and found something interesting that happened in Ohio very recently.

Miamisburg, Ohio, pattern in 8-foot-tall corn reported on September 1, 2004. Length is 222 feet. Compare to the Serpent Mound, Ohio. Note the two "grape shot" small circles and "rectangle" outside the main formation, similar to so many crop formations in England.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3482bcf2b2a4.jpg[/atsimg]

Soybean farmer discovered this pattern on August 17, 2003, near the ancient Serpent Mound in Locust Grove, Ohio. "Eye" is the Vesica Pisces created by overlapping circles.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c35d46be50d.jpg[/atsimg]

www.nancyredstar.com...

It seems that this Serpent Mound you have brought to our attention may hold more mysteries then I first thought!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Wait a minute....Columbus didn't discover America?

LIES!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I think what we are seeing here at it's core, is clear evidence that the Native Americans either had beer or some similiar spirit, and much like contemporary Americans needed to create elaborate excuses for being allowed out of the Tee-pee by their wives to go and drink beer and hang out with the other guys.

In this case the excuse being the formation of a serpentitine series of hills, clearly displaying a lack of sobriety as their original intent was no doubt a straight line of hills!

Fearing that their wives would not believe a straight line of hills did not occur naturally they contrived to make a group of hills there wives could not possibly question!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I had no idea that this even existed until now Aquarius! Thanks for sharing this. I began to look into the structure more and found a couple of very interesting things. The serpent mound isn't the only mound in Ohio. There is what is referred to as the Aligator Mound in Granville Ohio presumably built by the same people as the builders of the Serpent Mound

I had no idea about the Aligator Mound in Granville Ohio either, thank you so much for the research you did, Ohio is certainly a treasure trove of these mounds. I do believe they were formed by ancient native Americans.

The picutres at the bottom remind me of Crop Circles in England, thanks again for the amazing find.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

In this case the excuse being the formation of a serpentitine series of hills, clearly displaying a lack of sobriety as their original intent was no doubt a straight line of hills!

You have part of the story correct my friend. They certainly did create the mounds the way they did because of the beer parties they were having. The thing is, as they buried their empties they needed an excuse to tell the wives as the mounds were increasingly intrusive and declared that they were in fact paying homage to the great serpent.

Unbeknownst to them at the time, their formations alerted nearby interstellar travelers who are desperately trying to get a kegger going till this very day! Hence the crop circles which are actually marks left as a result of not using a coaster.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Good observation, or they may have been following the lay of the land, I have heard that native Americans cannot handle their liquor but that holds true for most anyone who drinks.

Thanks for posting my friend, it is always interesting.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

Some think it represents the Sun, others think it is religious, still others think the configuration tells when to plant the corn. Maybe the mystery will finally be solved, more then likely it will just give us more questions

22. The entity was among those of the second generation of
Atlanteans who struggled northward from Yucatan, settling in
what is now a portion of Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio; being among
those of the earlier period known as Mound Builders.

READING 3528-1 ( 1943 )

That is from Edgar Cayce. From the over 14,000 readings, Mound Builders have been mentioned in a few...

It's interesting the story laid out through the readings... of Ancient civilizations and various groups meeting to eventually become in the "region" what is called the mound builders.. Apparently it took many years... from the "early mound" builders to the culture thousands of years later.

The "second generations" of Atlantians could be referring to the final destruction of the islands ( Atlantis ) in 10,500bc... Many were said to have left before the catastrophic change. It's also interesting that the "myth" of "gods" surviving the sinking of Atlanz or Atland that sank in the EAST... are found in native american mythologies.

I remember talking about the snake/egg mound with someone and they mentioned the possible "sperm / egg" meaning, as if an ancient civilization was leaving evidence of "Knowledge" and understanding... or science as some claim it these days.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Serafine

I have been following Edgar Casey's work for 30 some years, in fact used to host a library for A.R.E. in the San Francisco Bay area in the early nineties.

He is amazingly accurate in my opinion and have studied his work extensively with a study group, sorry to say I have gotten away from it in the last few years, since you mention it I may just join again.

Thank you for the information and posting.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by jackflap

You have part of the story correct my friend. They certainly did create the mounds the way they did because of the beer parties they were having. The thing is, as they buried their empties they needed an excuse to tell the wives as the mounds were increasingly intrusive and declared that they were in fact paying homage to the great serpent.

Using the Aztecs as an example...

It was illegal for anyone to drink alcohol except elderly retired people. The punishment for drunkeness was death, unless one was old, or one's retired elder had gotten them drunk. Basically it was their retirement plan, their social security benifits.

The image of gangs of drunken indians is pure post-white-man corruption.

David Grouchy

top topics

<<   2 >>

join