It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Losing Battle: Why “CALIENTE!” Needs To Be Stamped On Our Coffee Cup Lids

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Couldn't find my original source for where they are fighting for English to be the primary language, but here is another.
minnesotaindependent.com...

Bachmann sponsors bill to make English official U.S. language.

"The English Language Unity Act of 2011, authored by Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King, was introduced by Bachmann and 59 other Republicans on Friday."

"The bill’s purpose is to “declare English as the official language of the United States, to establish a uniform English language rule for naturalization, and to avoid misconstructions of the English language texts of the laws of the United States, pursuant to Congress’ powers to provide for the general welfare of the United States and to establish a uniform rule of naturalization under article I, section 8, of the Constitution.”

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
"A common language is the most powerful unifying force known throughout history," King said in a release. "We need to encourage assimilation of all legal immigrants in each generation. A nation divided by language cannot pull together as effectively as a people."

"Added Inhofe: "This legislation will provide much-needed commonality among United States citizens, regardless of heritage. As a nation built by immigrants, it is important that we share one vision and one official language."

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

I AGREE 100% Also, why in the F$%& do I have to press 1 for English???????????????

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by triplereiki
Years ago, when I bought something like a TV set, there would be a 8 page manual with it. Now, I have to thumb through 20 odd pages searching for my language (English). All those trees and ink for this wastage of pages I cannot read.

I go to the supermarket, and have some difficulty trying to read whether I am looking at Spanish or English (I don't bring my glasses with me) but really ticks me off trying to read the fine print of the ingredients then realize it was in Spanish....What used to look like nice colorful labels, is now nothing but tons of wordage trying to fill such limited space to accomodate an added language....

Now, I REALLY HATE this part - when I am on the phone trying to talk to a rep, etc. the recording says:
"For English, press 1"
What crap is that? I am tired of that. By DEFAULT it SHOULD be English. Folks should press a number for the language they speak so they can get proper assistance.
Can everyone see that we are catering to outsiders to so much extent? When is it going to stop?...I take that back, it will happen no matter because we will not by the millions stand up....A few people here and there objecting will not work...
IN PLAIN SIGHT

Sir, please have whatever library employee helped you turn on that computer log you back off. Honestly, I don't know how you're getting to the grocery store but if you can't tell if you're reading Spanish or English you sure as hell shouldn't be driving anything

Amazing the ignorance and arrogance of some people...to think that the only people who deal with the companies you deal with speak your language fluently. Yeah we all get frustrated having to deal with Indian call centers but you either gotta find a way to get along with the other 6.9 billion people here or get the hell out

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by Night Star

I will be 53 years old soon and have never in my life seen anyone forced to speak spanish in order to get hired for a job which I am now seeing in many areas.

If you're 53, you may well have seen "other people" riding at the back of the bus?

Had I ever seen a black person being forced to sit in the back of a bus, I would have either offered my seat in the front, or sat with them in the back. I hope that answers your question to your satisfaction.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I have traveled abroad, and I studied up before I went, and I learned the basics I needed to get by. Thats not what I am arguing, If I took a job and moved to moscow, I would make it a point to learn the language. If I was going to live in any other country for a long period and/or attempt to gain citizenship I would do so with the expectation of learning their language. At that point I am the new comer and expecting everyone in another country to drop their language and culture so that I can feel comfortable is wrong. When my work sent me to Israel for an extended period I learned hebrew, when I was in Germany I learned German. And even if I didn't learn the language I fully understand that coffee comes hot unless you ask for it iced. So if I am impatient and burn myself the only thing owed is to my pride for being dumb and that bill is belongs to myself, and it sure as hell is going to take millions of dollars to make me feel better.
Learn the language or don't, I don't care but don't get mad when someone doesn't understand you, and don't blame anyone if you fail to grasp the fact that coffee is hot and can burn you if you fail to let it cool down a little.

And as far as everyone speaking english in other countries, depends on which one. China I met very few people who spoke english, most of europe as long as you were in a big city you would be fine, but get into the country and the smaller towns, you are rolling the dice there. I have only been to 2 countries in the middle east and israel had alot of english speaking, but egypt did not. South America is hit or miss, if you are in a tourist area sure, but outside of that again you are taking a chance.

edit on 4-4-2011 by rbilly001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by rbilly001

Well said! It is a shame that so many people do not understand this! Common sense alone should be enough for people to understand. Thank you!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Err no.

It'll take a smallpox epidemic to wipe out 90% of the White population before white people will EVER have the right to say that.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I like how people still cling to this silly argument.

Here's the deal: When you see Hot in not one, but three different languages (yes, up here we have it in English, Spanish AND French!), you should remember that you live in NORTH AMERICA and with the interplay between borders, it should not strike you as unusual.

Should I be angry because French-speaking Quebecers come here all the time to spend money? Should I be angry if they choose to re-locate?

I'm not and neither should you be.

Again, this is another silly distraction in a long line of distractions. We truly are a stupid group of people if THIS issue is more important than earth changes or the NWO.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

And illegal immigration happens because of?

Seriously, think about it.

Corporations need cheap, easily exploitable labor.

Don't attack the immigrants. Attack the corporations that willingly hire/demand them!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rbilly001

As someone else said, perhaps if we stop beating our chests like arrogant monkeys every time someone speaks Spanish (or any other language), we would get more respect from people attempting to learn our language.

I don't care if you took the time to learn the language in another country. That doesn't give you the right to dictate to others.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

I like how people still cling to this silly argument.

Here's the deal: When you see Hot in not one, but three different languages (yes, up here we have it in English, Spanish AND French!), you should remember that you live in NORTH AMERICA and with the interplay between borders, it should not strike you as unusual.

Should I be angry because French-speaking Quebecers come here all the time to spend money? Should I be angry if they choose to re-locate?

I'm not and neither should you be.

Again, this is another silly distraction in a long line of distractions. We truly are a stupid group of people if THIS issue is more important than earth changes or the NWO.

Not one person said anything aout this issue being more important than earth changes or the NWO.
You may have 3 languages where you are, but most of the people in The USA want one language that can unite us all. It has been english that has tied us all together. If you see that as wrong then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

No, you want ONE language because you feel threatened by other languages.

That's all it is. This is where nationalism STARTS.

First, it's one language.
Then, one religion.
Before you know it, it's followed by curfews.
Then come the gulags and the camps
And the fire.

I'm not joking here.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

And illegal immigration happens because of?

Seriously, think about it.

Corporations need cheap, easily exploitable labor.

Don't attack the immigrants. Attack the corporations that willingly hire/demand them!

Of course I am against the corporations, but illegals are not stupid, they are well aware that they are taking jobs from citizens through deceit, stolen identities and false documents. Recently many companies have been caught and illegals deported. Thousands of legal citizens now hold those positions.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Then, one religion.
And the fire.

I'm not joking here.

Oh my God, calm down. It's nothing like that. What about all our other cultures who agree about the one language here? They already learned a foreign language to be here and that was english. Every single one of them, Asians, africans, Germans, Italians etc. etc. etc. They all respected and learned the language of our Country. Isn't it a good thing that we can communicate with all these cultures??????? Why would you want to seperate people with a number of languages?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
"Corporate America says it’s OK not to make an effort to speak English because in the end, they don’t really care about language at all. They don’t care about the U.S., Mexico or any other country. They don’t care about you, or me, our safety, our welfare, who we are or where we come from. There’s only one thing they do care about.
And it’s green…
but it’s not a green-card"

Point well-taken, because it's true. Money is the common denominator in today's corporate-driven society. We, as human beings and individuals in our own right, whatever our cultural roots might be, simply cease to have any signifcance at all.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Well, im hispanic, i understand your point, but please, can you be nice and don't insult my language?, your argument really loose strenght when you call an idiom you don't like "stinking".

If you go to other countries is very possible you would find ATM with "press here for english", here in my spanish speaking country there are a lot of ATMs where you have to push some bottom to set the language first, and in a lot of other automatic systems it happens too, and you know what, people doesn't have a need to attack them because they want ATMs in only one language, we don't rant about "oyeee, el cajero me dice que tengo que apretar aquí para español, ¿porque me ofrece ingles?, aquí no hablamos ingles, muerte al ingles, condenados inmigrantes ingleses, estadounidenses, australianos, neozelandeses, los odiamos, GTFO or VPLM in spanish", we don't care, and in most of the world where that happens people don't care.

It would be really easy if you say that you feel threatened because there are too much hispanics instead of attacking my beautiful language, after all, if enough of them doesn't get absorbed by the rest of the population, in the future that's going to be a problem, it won't be the first time that something like that happen in planet earth, a lot of inmigration, lack of integration, they retain their different culture and identity, and after all rebelions and even civil war.

Anyway, be happy and no, is not that hard, but yes, it can be very irregular sometimes, but that doesn't make it one of the most dificult languages in earth.

Siempre se ha de conservar el temor, más jamás se debe mostrar. FdQ

edit on 4-4-2011 by MonteroReal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What's really funny is when the Spanish speaking folks have to have an interpreter tell them what "Caliente" means. A good portion of the folks who we print everything in Spanish for, can't read or write Spanish. Spent many years having to get an interpreter to read the forms for them, as well as fill them out. Just a waste of paper.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Then, one religion.
And the fire.

I'm not joking here.

Oh my God, calm down. It's nothing like that. What about all our other cultures who agree about the one language here? They already learned a foreign language to be here and that was english. Every single one of them, Asians, africans, Germans, Italians etc. etc. etc. They all respected and learned the language of our Country. Isn't it a good thing that we can communicate with all these cultures??????? Why would you want to seperate people with a number of languages?

Well, must people who learn english is because is an easy international trade language, not because they where loosing sleep with the idea of not being able to speak with people from the United States, i doubt respect for a language have something to do with that too, but anyway, people is free to feel they belong to the most wonderful and amazing culture and language in planet earth that everybody envy and wants to learn because they would never be happy if they don't talk with people from that place =).

Well, to the last question i can't answer because it was not addresed to me, but my dear, don't you know how many times people had been separated in a lot of places because of skin color, religion, color, size, race, ethnic group, social class, etc etc etc etc? do you really think language can't be used as a basis for separation? really? come on!
edit on 4-4-2011 by MonteroReal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

It's amazing what bits of knowledge we learnt at school may come back to us at some point.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join