It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Losing Battle: Why “CALIENTE!” Needs To Be Stamped On Our Coffee Cup Lids

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
Do I REALLY Need to Have “CALIENTE!” Stamped On My Coffee Cup Lid? Yes, says America and here's why.

Friday was one of those mornings—I forgot to set the alarm… overslept… couldn’t find my keys… you know how it goes. So instead of making coffee, I decided to go to McDonald’s drive-thru. I zoomed through and got a medium coffee with cream and one sugar. Got to the office, and rushed to my desk. Ryan and Claudia, my two assistants (I call them work horses), looked up and nodded. I caught Claudia checking her watch and smiling up at me giving me some kind of look. Oh, I know that look. It’s the same one I give her when she’s late. Whatever.

So, OK. I sit down at my desk, ready to open a plethora of emails and get my two kids with attitude out there workin’ and I glance down at my coffee cup lid. Looking back up at me, I see CALIENTE! In caps no less! And with one of those cute little upside-down exclamation points! WTF?

“Ryan! What the hell country are we in?”
“Last time I checked, it was the U. S. of A,” he calls to me over his shoulder, never wavering from the Freecell game on his computer.
Well then, I think to myself, why the *snip* am I seeing Caliente! on my McDonald’s coffee cup?

I mean really. Why AM I looking at Spanish embossed on a plastic coffee cup lid when I am living in the Midwest of the United States? OK, if I was a mile from the Mexican border, maybe. MAY-be. The United State’s mother language is English, right? (Well, American English, if you want to get technical. The Brits don’t like it when we both claim the same language. And really, who can blame them?) Sure, sure, I know there are waves of Mexicans streaming into the US all the time, increasing our population every day. And hundreds of them streaming in are pregnant, soon to have their ‘American’ babies born here. Of course I know it—it’s a big political and economic issue, and everyone knows about the immigration controversies (especially around reelection time). But is that really a reason to start printing things on coffee cups in Spanish?

Now, unless you crawled out from under a rock, a few years ago here in the US, some woman burned herself on a cup of McDonald’s coffee and ended up suing McDonalds for millions. And I mean MILLIONS of dollars! (I’m still kicking myself for not thinking of THAT get-rich-quick scheme.) I think she’s living in some villa in the south of France now and the price of every single Quarter-Pounder-with-cheese that you are buying instantly went up 10 cents to make up for those lost millions. So McDonalds, and everyone else for that matter, started covering their ass and plastering HOT! all over their coffee cups… and now evidently, as I look down at my cup, CALIENTE! as well.

I had to shake it off and get to work. At lunchtime I would get my mind off the Spanish language infiltration and check out the lawnmowers at Sears over at the mall. Yeah, good plan. So, come lunchtime, I shoot off to Sears for some diversion. I mean, shopping for a lawnmower at the great American department store… how American can you get? Trouble is, you have to traipse through every department in order to get to the back where the tools and lawnmowers are. So, I start my stroll through the store. There’s the ‘Ninos’ department, and there’s a sign for ‘Caja Registradora’ and there’s the ‘Caballeros’ department, and... HEY! WTF? OMG, that’s the second time I’m saying WTF today! But it’s true! Sears, the great American department store has gone---well, they’ve gone Spanish! Just like McDonalds! They’re catering and kowtowing to a whole Spanish speaking population that either can’t or has absolutely zero desire to learn the language of the country that is feeding and clothing them!

Isn’t that called enabling? Aren’t we enabling them? Not giving them the incentive to even TRY to speak English? What kind of respect do they have for this country? Thumbing their Spanish-speaking noses in our faces: We don’t need your stinkin’ language. (God, when we went to Paris last summer, we got those CDs and I played them for 2 months just so I could try to speak a little French. And that was for a 10 day vacation!) Now I know there are millions of native Spanish speaking folks who do learn English. More power to them and I praise them for it. English is actually one of the most difficult languages in the world to learn. (And if you want proof, just look at all the misspelling and misuse of apostrophes here on ATS!) But as I walked through the store, I realized there are so many Spanish speaking people who make no effort. None!

And why should they when Corporate America says it’s OK not to? I pushed my hands into my pockets as I walked through the store, feeling a couple dollar bills sitting down in there. And then, quite suddenly, as I gripped those few American dollars I had in my pocket, it dawned on me. This isn’t about language at all! McDonald’s and Sears don’t care if you speak English or Spanish or if you can only point and grunt. They especially don’t care for those thousands of homeless Mexicans coming to this country without a peso in their pocket. But there IS a whole population of Mexicans who’ve come here in droves so they take part in brand-new American legislation where they finally have the chance to clean someone’s house in Texas without anyone being arrested, just so they can feed and clothe their family. And then when they get paid their sub-standard wages by those perfumed Texas housewives straight from the beauty parlor, that’s where their good friends, McDonalds and Sears step in.

“No need to learn English in our stores, amigos! We speak YOUR language. And we know you’ve got some cash in your pockets—and now, you’re speakin’ OUR language. What’s that you say?? Oh don’t be silly--*snip*English lessons. Wouldn’t you rather have a new pair of Nikes or a super-sized Big Mac value meal?”

So, don’t get mad at the Spanish speakers when your menus and signage are infiltrated with Spanish in a country that prides itself on its English speaking roots. Don’t get pissed at the Mexicans when your bank’s automated call system tells you to press 3 for English. That’s wasted and misdirected anger. You’ve got to get mad at Corporate America for being enablers. (Not to mention our legislators who tell us that what Corporate America is doing is good. Good for us and good for our country. And they say it because of the dollars that McDonalds, and other companies like it, presses into the palms of their hands under the table.) And we, like mindless hypnotized drones, nod our head dumbly and go along with it while blathering words that corporations subliminally put in our heads: “I don’t mind it at all. In fact, I LIKE it.” And we truly believe it when we say it! Corporate America says it’s OK not to make an effort to speak English because in the end, they don’t really care about language at all. They don’t care about the U.S., Mexico or any other country. They don’t care about you, or me, our safety, our welfare, who we are or where we come from. There’s only one thing they do care about.
And it’s green…
but it’s not a green-card.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 3-4-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

Now the "americanos" know how we felt when the english language infiltrated too in the spanish speaking countries, In my city instead of mercados we have "malls" or "super market", instead of insignias now they are "pins", "posters" instead of carteles, tickets instead of entradas, instead of vestíbulos now they are "halls", en lugar de acampar hacemos "camping" , the importantes are now called VIP's, our puestos de ventas are now "stands", in the doors we can easily find the "pull push" instead of Jale, empuje; asi que mejor te dejas de quejar pibe and the list goes on and on. so "cuate" (dude) you are not the only who is annoyed too with these language intromissions.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by mr10k
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Aww Come on! Florida is the bosom of Hispanics in America. Expect to see some Spanish once in awhile eh?

Uh NO! They are mostly rude and think you owe them something much like another group here. Sorry but if you don't live here you have no idea what it is like.

They need to speak damn English if they want to come here and work. I am NOT Spanish I am American and we speak English. I shouldn't have to have a translator basically when I shop in a mall because their staff doesnt speak English and then they sit and trash talk me behind my back in Spanish..so yeah no I will not learn Spanish til they learn English and respect the country they moved to. They can always go back if they don't like it.

Yep, you got it. It's all about respect. Respect for the country that is feeding and clothing you.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by elpistolero1

Now the "americanos" know how we felt when the english language infiltrated too in the spanish speaking countries, In my city instead of mercados we have "malls" or "super market", instead of insignias now they are "pins", "posters" instead of carteles, tickets instead of entradas, instead of vestíbulos now they are "halls", en lugar de acampar hacemos "camping" , the importantes are now called VIP's, our puestos de ventas are now "stands", in the doors we can easily find the "pull push" instead of Jale, empuje; asi que mejor te dejas de quejar pibe and the list goes on and on. so "cuate" (dude) you are not the only who is annoyed too with these language intromissions.

Lol, totally right.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I would like to congratulate the OP on a really creatively written post!
It had me laughing and more importantly it had something to say.

At the same time, Let’s see you managed to slam
Brits,
Mexicans,
brainwashed Americans,
McDonalds,
Sears,
polititians,
corporate America,
Texas legislature (not to mention texas housewives LOL),
oh and ATS members that can’t spell.
LOL Couldn’t you fit anything else to fit in?

All in all a big thumbs up!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I don't mind those that try at all! It's the ones that don't and sadly where I live they are the majority.

I have had many different people who tried and we would teach each other phrases in our native language. I dont mind helping you out if you try but blatantly refusing to speak the language where you live is just rude to me. If I moved to Mexico I would make sure I knew Spanish.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The hypocrisy in this thread is frightening. Isn't this country supposed to be the great melting pot - welcome one and all?

Spanish is a major language in this country. So what?

If anything, if is a responsibility of this nation to protect, aid and mentor all of its inhabitants. Not just the ones who speak English. Sorry, buddy, but there's larger battles to fight. Try to find one that actual helps this wonderful world of ours and is less occupied with hate and loathing.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If someone wants to Live in the USA - they should learn the English Language.

It that person wants to get a drivers license - learn English to pass the test. If that person wants to become a citizen - learn English to pass the test.

It is one thing to Visit a different country where the language is different and not learn it. It is something else again when you MOVE to that country.

You should have RESPECT for your 'new country'.

As stated above - when we lived in Brazil I needed to learn Portugues to communicate with the general population. Nothing was in English. No TV, no "press 2 for English" - none of the nonsense that "we" have allowed.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You guys are forgetting that Spanish is a major language in this country. It only makes sense that businesses and governments extend something as simple as the ease of communication to a large group of this nation's citizens.

Also, to anyone who has done any amount of traveling abroad -- most hotels and tourist destinations have staff on hand who speak English. Why is that? It makes good sense from an economic standpoint.

Same logic follows for the U.S.: It makes good sense to be able to communicate in Spanish from an economic standpoint. To argue otherwise is folly.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fuzzy Wabbit
Isn't this country supposed to be the great melting pot - welcome one and all?

Is it? What happens when you melt stuff together? It becomes individually indistinguishable and one big single blob of identical. Is that even the goal? If it is, we're failing miserably.

We're more like maybe a crazy quilt all stitched together of various and different sizes, shapes, and colors. And backgrounds, languages, and ethnicities.

I think if we were even attempting to be a melting pot, it wouldn't be, welcome one and all. It would be, prepare to be assimilated. Which is apparently what some would advocate.

Personally, I think our strength is in our diversity. I'll take mutts over pure breeds any day. And a society comprised of disparate parts. The problem is not that people are different, the problem is we treat people differently.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Sorry!
Just me being sarcastic.

edit on 21-5-2011 by AlternateEnding because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mappam
If someone wants to Live in the USA - they should learn the English Language.

It that person wants to get a drivers license - learn English to pass the test. If that person wants to become a citizen - learn English to pass the test.

I wonder how the Native Americans feel about this,you arse...and you are an arse for not taking that into account. What a sense of intolerance I see here. Not good
at all.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I am NOT Spanish I am American and we speak English.

I'm American and we speak Spanish too. People from the United States aren't the only Americans.

America is a continent, not a country. In said continent several languages are spoken, Spanish, English, Portuguese, etc. Like Europe. There's no such thing as European language, there's French, Italian, Spanish, etc.

But I agree that people who move into a new country should learn the language. Later, if the country wants to let them use their own language in some places, like stores or hotels, and put staff who speak it, fine. But if you're moving to a new country you have to know the language to be able to communicate effectively, IMHO.
edit on 22-5-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra

I am NOT Spanish I am American and we speak English.

I'm American and we speak Spanish too. People from the United States aren't the only Americans.

America is a continent, not a country. In said continent several languages are spoken, Spanish, English, Portuguese, etc. Like Europe. There's no such thing as European language, there's French, Italian, Spanish, etc.

But I agree that people who move into a new country should learn the language. Later, if the country wants to let them use their own language in some places, like stores or hotels, and put staff who speak it, fine. But if you're moving to a new country you have to know the language to be able to communicate effectively, IMHO.

Um actually America is slang for the USA and North America is a continent. So yes AMERICA is a country and in my country we speak English. If you speak another language awesome but learn the one spoken in the country you move to, don't expect everyone to bend over backwards for you because you moved here without knowing the language.

Every country I have visited that had a different language I tried to learn the basics of the language out of RESPECT which most that come here don't have. I see it all the time where I live. When I was in Italy they loved that I at least tried and they would correct me if I was wrong or my friend helped me to say the right things. It doesnt take much at all.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Um actually America is slang for the USA

I know it is, but if the rest of the people from the continent (South and Central) call themselves Americans it's ok too, it's not exclusively for people of the US.

If you speak another language awesome but learn the one spoken in the country you move to, don't expect everyone to bend over backwards for you because you moved here without knowing the language.

I agree. If the country is opening its doors for me and giving me an opportunity the least I can do is learn the language. I'm even embarrassed when I write in an English speaking forum because I'm afraid I might not make myself understood. I wouldn't even dream of moving into a new country without knowing the language

Every country I have visited that had a different language I tried to learn the basics of the language out of RESPECT which most that come here don't have. I see it all the time where I live. When I was in Italy they loved that I at least tried and they would correct me if I was wrong or my friend helped me to say the right things. It doesnt take much at all.

That's awesome

And respect isn't the only reason, I mean, what about in an emergency? If you need doctors or police officers? How would they be expected to do their jobs if they can't understand what the person is saying? Then we'd see it on the news, "Man sues county, state, etc. because police didn't do their job". Well, if you didn't know how to explain what happened to them, it's not their fault! They aren't psychics.

You can't expect to get everything on a silver platter when you move into a new country, you have to work just like everyone else. You don't just walk into someone else's house and start giving orders, you have to follow the ones already established.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join