It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

world's worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com... from the link

Japanese officials grappling on Sunday to end the world's worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl were focusing on a crack in a concrete pit that was leaking radiation into the ocean from a crippled reactor.
so they finally say it, "world's worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl" well no duh.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Only took bloody 3 weeks!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

This is going to be far worse than Chernobyl.

Chernobyl was containable, somehow i don't think this will be.

Chernobyl was just a few hundred tons of Uranium.

Fukushima is 1600 tons of Uranium and who knows how much Plutonium.

Plutonium is a whole different ball game.

Cosmic...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

the is the true no no no did not happen never will could not be not so, head in the sand.Then when all has failed oh wait is was wrong, did too, yes yes yes it has happened, it did it did, i see the light, now what to do?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

that we have been told any way in the end i think that 1600 tonnes will be more like 4 times that

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I was interested to read this today. It is from CNN, so I don't know of the authenticity?

Spraying was also set to continue this weekend of an experimental new material to lock in radioactive material in and around the nuclear complex so that it doesn't seep further into the air, water or ground.

Crews have dispersed about 2,000 liters (more than 500 gallons) of synthetic resin in a 500-square meter locale, according to Tokyo Electric. The aim is to hold the released radioactivity on the ground, so it can't interfere with the restoration of the cooling systems aimed at preventing the overheating of nuclear fuel rods in reactors and spent fuel pools at the plant.

"You spray it to hold down the loose contamination, and it acts like a super glue," said Nolan Hertel, a radiation engineering expert at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta. "You don't want radiaoactive materials that are loose to get away."

I wonder if this is some sort of reversed alien technology???
One can only hope that more intelligent beings have taken charge of the operation to stop this "run-away" train wreck of a situation.
So far they have been putting band-aids on severed limbs.
They should have burried that thing in concrete weeks ago... If it were not for greed!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
We need facts, I know this is absolutely mind bogglingly over the top, but we need facts not headlines.

Every day I hear it's worse than the day before - almost in the magnitude of an earthquake itself.. First it was nominal, then bad, then terrible, then beyond normal, then madly beyond normal... each day not just a notch, but an entire extreme upon itself.

I want to know what the feck (irish term, no censor plox!) is going on to be honest.

When I first posted about the microsieverts it was so much hysteria... now it's well beyond that.

what are we talking now, OFFICIALLY????

meh, no one will know, not officially, or officially be willing to tell... so I may as well go back to watching camelot- loads of nice bods in that... decent story so far too..

fare thee well cruel world...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Time for everyone to buy stock in lead!

I wonder how much it would cost to cover my roof with lead tile?

. . . and really does it matter anymore how bad it is?
What is done is done and we will all pay for it in some way and form because nobody did anything about it to stop it from happening. Sorry folks that is how life works. We are either part of the problem or part of the solution or both.
edit on 4/2/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

well here is one site you might call www.rotometals.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
On a lighter note...

The Worlds worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl could be anywhere between an xray malfunction and chernobyl.

You can't assume it means impending death.

Just thought I'd add that - It's like saying this month is the hottest since 1902. Does not mean we've not had HOT days in between.

Anything less than Chernobyl and above your average xray machine blowing up in your face, is noticeable.

I wonder - if fatboy had blown up accidentally, would it be considered a crisis, or still considered a bomb... And well, that did more than Chernobyl...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The current situatoin could very easily get worse. 1 Sievert in the pit would make you feel nauseous in 2 hours, 50% would die in 5 hours of exposure. Right now the prevailing winds are either westerly or northerly. Come June, the typhoon season starts. Any typhoon coming anywhere close to Sendai would change the wind direction from the north to northeast and east. This would drive the radioactivity over Tokyo and the rest of the islands of Japan. We're working on a short timetable here befoer the whole Japanese population will have to be evacuated.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
On a lighter note...

The Worlds worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl could be anywhere between an xray malfunction and chernobyl.
My thoughts exactly, kind of a silly thread.

I mean what other nuclear disaster has there been besides Fukushima, since Chernobyl? It's not like anything else was in the running for the #1 spot since Chernobyl, right?

This thread would have made more sense to post on April fools day as a joke. It really makes no sense to suggest they wouldn't have admitted since day 1 it's the worst disaster since Chernobyl.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I take it you do not know about three mile island well here you go,
www.threemileisland.org... from the link

Welcome to ThreeMileIsland.org

Dickinson College’s Three Mile Island web site is made up of a variety of documents related to the nuclear emergency that occurred at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in March of 1979.
as you can see it was no joke. they said the situation at Japans reactors was no worse that Three mile now currently they say it is just as bad if not worse than Chernobyl. And that too is no joke

new topics

top topics

join