It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can You Beat Anxiety

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I've noticed that I have succomb to anxiety latelty, and I was thinking of a way to get rid of it. I face pressures every day, I used to be able to take them but they have bottled up. I go to the gym and do yoga so I'm wondering why it can be overpowering. It seems to be a completely mental thing, stemming from a mental force or way of thinking. The deeper I go rather than being smart enough to jump out of it I focus on it like an obsessive thought.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

Have you tried meditation?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Benzodiazepines from your doctor can be good for times of great anxiety but is no permanant solution.. Such medications are Alprazolam (Xanax), Lorazepam, Klonopin, etc. If is short term and you do not have access to benzos, alcohol in the right dosages can also be great for short term anxiety, but do not use it as a solution, you will regret i jus as you will with benzos after much too much usage of such substances.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Im no doctor but i'd advise against medication for anxiety...

You're just stacking more issues on the pile...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Xanax bars, lots and lots of xanax bars! Just kidding, but like BigOrange said, if used properly Benzos will work miracles for anxiety.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

Watch youtube vids of kitties, puppies, and babies.
Or get out in the sun more often and just breathe, just focus on breathing.
Or....just find a deserving fool and beat the spit out of em.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Oh, you picked just the right topic for me as well! I'm not sure what it is, but as of late my anxiety has kicked into overdrive. Along with insomnia. Alcohol can supress, but in all honesty it takes too much and I don't wanna over do the drink, if you catch my drift

I like the meditation suggestion, as I would like to re-incorporate that into my routine. Other things ( I call them outlets) like playing music, writing, drawing.... just about any form of expression that you can place passion behind is good to clear the mind with as well ;-)

Sounds like I already have an answer to my delima, yeah? Haha! I'm open to more suggestions as well!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
MY first step was turning off Main Stream Media
First they try to scare the crap out of you.
then they are sponsored by the makers of Xanax and other mood altering drugs,

What a deal they've got going.

Go outside and breathe some fresh air. Exercise.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well if Meditation doesnt work for you or deep breathing, there is always Medical Marijuana.

Never get prescription drugs. just an advice though

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by greyer

Have you tried meditation?

Many people don't know that you can utilize deep breathing excersises in conjuction with meditation, it really helps, I know, especially for insomnia that can be associated with anxiety.

Just saying.......

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Find out if it's a chemical problem. EIther born with it or new in diet.
If it is do some perscription shez.

If not do what this guy said:

Originally posted by spacedoubt
MY first step was turning off Main Stream Media
First they try to scare the crap out of you.
then they are sponsored by the makers of Xanax and other mood altering drugs,

What a deal they've got going.

Go outside and breathe some fresh air. Exercise.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
And if you can't meditate without help there are lots of guided meditations and visualisations on cd. Once you get to know the ones you like you can do them anywhere, anytime. I get anxiety bad when driving so I make sure I've got good music to make me sing. That helps me forget that I can't breath and loosens up the chest area.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

My anxiety was so bad a few months ago that my body began shutting down. Crushing itself.. I didn't admit my anxiety problems until a few days ago. But I've been to the point I'd rather not exist then deal with it. I began seeing a chiropractor which... Helped me a ton, using a massage mat or massages, combined with long nature walks and deep breathing through the nose. My anxiety was based a lot around tmj issues. I'd fear my jaw would fall off. Night mares of it. I targeted that issue. And since I began all this I've had one anxiety attack. MUCH better now.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I'll give you a clue, It's natures cure for just about every ailment under the sun

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
stop caring about insignificant things

less worry
less stress

the less stress better overall

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Just focus on what you want to do, here and now, and do it. The only thing that counts is what we do, say, wish. In the end its all that counts, so stop worrying about what you have or don´t have, focus in what you want to do.
All those questions that create anxiety, will i lose this, can i do that, just think of what you want, feel it, analyse, choose, do it.
If you do your best you are the winner before yourself, thats all that matters.
Focus on what you can control and take action, the rest is not important.
This mindset will help reducing anxiety.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I suffred from anxiety a few months ago, I went to see a psychologist who basically taught me a few cognitive therapy techniques and gave me a book called Managing your Mind - The mental fitness guide, by Butler and Hope. It's an excellent book with many practical tips about dealing with anxiety, worry, motivation etc. I highly recommend it to everyone. I managed to have my anxiety under control without the use of meds, once you have a few techniques at your disposal, you will be able to control your anxiety

www.amazon.co.uk...

Manage Your Mind - a ground-breaking, step-by-step guide to the skills and attitudes that will help you be more effective in your work and to enjoy a more fulfilling personal life. Just as simple measures - regular exercise, a sensible diet - keep your body fit, the strategies described in this book will stretch, strengthen, and tune your mind. Your mind is a powerful tool but without the right training, your moods, thoughts, and behaviour can sabotage your goals and cause depression and anxiety. Here Butler and Hope show you how to keep mentally fit - how to tap into your mind's power - so you can enjoy your life to the fullest

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Lay off the booze, caffeine, sugar drinks and late nights. In the past I have found these to be some good solid triggers. Not saying that they are your causes though but it's good general advice, it could just be one of those things.
Honestly though if you are really worried you need to see a GP about it, medication isn't always required and nobody will force you to take it if you don't want to.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I also suffered prolonged and persistent anxiety this past month but have gotten past it somewhat. This was my regimen.

1. Cut out coffee (usually drink strong unfiltered) and cola for most of last week.
2. Had at least one cup of home brewed St. John's Wort tea per day. It acts as an anti-depressant, elevates the mood and relieves tension. I get mine in bulk at the health food store.
3. Walk. Every day at least once; no matter what the weather. Just get out and get moving.
4. Sleep - as much as I felt like, when I felt like it. Some days I think I spent more time in bed than out of it, but when I would actually fall asleep for a couple of hours during the day, I figured my body needed it. Sleep is when the body gets to repair itself. I think that goes for the mind too.
5. Watched what I ate.
6. I had to severely restrict negative input such as coming here to ATS or watching the news for a good 3 or 4 days.

All in all I feel much better, but not great yet by any means. At least I feel like I've turned the corner.
Hope some of this helps.
Note: I have been able to meditate to relieve stress and for general well being for years now, but I found it near impossible to still myself recently due to the anxiety. Thankfully, with the rest of the regime doing its thing, I have been able to get back to meditating again, just not quite so deeply yet as before.
edit on 4/1/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

Oh, and I am back on coffee, ATS and some world news, so its a daily thing to keep abreast of what is going on inside me; not just out there in the world.
edit on 4/1/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
There are some good replies here and I'm sure some of it will help you .

Whatever you wanna try, do something about it right now! Deal with it. Don't wait for the final droplet after which you will have a nervous breakdown.
You are smart and you see something is not right, you recognize the anxiety where a lot of people wouldn't. Do "something" and don't let it go further.

Personally I took xanax for a while when dealing with my problems, also breathing exercises helped me a lot.
One more important thing is to figure out what is causing the anxiety, what is the source for it? Once you figured that out it is nececary to make certain changes to your life to eliminate the source or make it harmless.
Don't say "stress", because stress is just another symptom... there always is a cause. find it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join