It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can You Beat Anxiety

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
sorry double post.
dont know how that happened
edit on 1/4/2011 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I agree with trying to identify a cause and then doing something about that, but, if as some of us suspect, part of the cause has to do with hightened solar flares and electromagnetic radiation, instability in our world's own magnetic poles, along with a myriad examples of the natural world in turmoil; then the ability to do something becomes limited. At that point it is a matter of monitoring what is happening to ourselves and doing everything within our power to improve our resistance to it all.

There is no doubt in my mind that our bodies and minds are just as susceptible to influence from all those external things as the earth itself is. We are part of it after all.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
reply to post by GypsK

I agree with trying to identify a cause and then doing something about that, but, if as some of us suspect, part of the cause has to do with hightened solar flares and electromagnetic radiation, instability in our world's own magnetic poles, along with a myriad examples of the natural world in turmoil; then the ability to do something becomes limited. At that point it is a matter of monitoring what is happening to ourselves and doing everything within our power to improve our resistance to it all.

There is no doubt in my mind that our bodies and minds are just as susceptible to influence from all those external things as the earth itself is. We are part of it after all.

Oh I didn't realize the OP was talking about all of that.... well of course that is a cause you can't eliminate.
or did you mean yourself?

Either way, I know the feeling. To much doom is why I have left ats for several months more then once. I have complete lists with all kinds of scenario's and for each a list of preparations (as far as this is possible). It somehow calms me down to know I am prepared and won't be taken completely by surprise when tshtf. It's good to have a plan.

Lol, my husband thinks its some kind of OCD I have, always need to have a plan and a backup plan or I (think I)go into anxiety mode.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I have a tip. It's easily overlooked and might be called quiet ridiculous.

Just take it easy.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

To be honest, I am not sure the OP had "all that" in mind either. It is probably just my situation that seems to fit the scenario. At any rate all of this information is helpful, and applies; whatever the multiple sources of the stress.

We are all going to have to come up with our own solution that fits our needs. I am not a planner personally, and live usually by the seat of my pants. Your type and my type are complimentary, and as such can work well as a team. Sounds like that is the situation between you and your hubby; in spite of the barbs, lucky for u both.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

It's what helped me so I'm guessing it will help you.

- Vitamin B this should include the whole B complex.
- Omega 3 fish oil.
- Lemonade once a day from one lemon.
- Saint john wort in the form of herb, make tea out of it, drink it when you wake up or when you go to bed.
- Forget the gym, the gym may be good but nothing compared to jogging, jog at least 3 km a day.
- Mediattion, optional, it may help very very good, but if you over do it it may cause what you feeling now, so depending on how you practice and how long you practice it may make you feel better or worst. Worst if you over do it, better if you take time to meditate from time to time, it is relaxing just don't go too deep.

edit on 3-4-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
All meds will do is mask the symptoms.
Try to figure out what it is that's doing this, if you have no idea, sprint like crazy until you are beat, punch hell out of a heavy bag until you can't lift your arms...at least then, your body will be telling your brain that its taken care of the threat.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
All meds will do is mask the symptoms.
Try to figure out what it is that's doing this, if you have no idea, sprint like crazy until you are beat, punch hell out of a heavy bag until you can't lift your arms...at least then, your body will be telling your brain that its taken care of the threat.

Your's is excellent advice as a starting point. It will surely do a lot of good for many. Because brain and body chemistry is deeply involved with stress, diligent and careful use of chemicals can be helpful, but carry a greater risk. Starting with natural things like St. John's wort is the next step if your solution isn't enough. There are some people with serious imbalances that just can't be rectified any other way than thru prescription medicine. I believe they are a minority, but for those persons it may be their only option and avoiding doing so would only lead to more pain.

The body likes to balance itself out -- so you take a CNS depressant like alcohol and it fights back by pumping stimulants into the system. Thats why some people can't sleep after drinking just one beer. But some people's bodies just have a "wrong" idea of what "normal" is and keeps trying to bring them back to some state that is outside the norm. That could mean "creative" or it could mean "crazy"; depending on circumstances.

One thing is for sure, the best place to start is with the body's own mechanisms, and physical exercise is one of the best ways to kick start them. Not everyone can jog - me for example as my old joints don't repair so easily when damaged, but I can walk, and garden, and dig, and haul, and I do all of those things as much as I can.

Just being outside is one of the most therapeutic things for us. I don't know if it is being on the ground and closer with earth's harmonies or what, but it works. Exercise done outside, in touch with the earth is probably ten times more therapeutic in terms of improving one's mental and emotional state than anything done in a gym or building.
edit on 4/4/2011 by wayno because: final thought

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Cheers.
I agree, everyone needs slightly different things. My favourite way to calm my mind is a long, fast ride on my bike. It seems that the more time the speedo spends around the ton, the happier I am when I get back off.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by greyer

Have you tried meditation?

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by greyer

Watch youtube vids of kitties, puppies, and babies.
Or get out in the sun more often and just breathe, just focus on breathing.
Or....just find a deserving fool and beat the spit out of em.

This is so awesome! I am going to follow up and try every suggestion, whatever I can do to stay away from the negative and create positivity. I have tried meditation, but it is hard to meditate when having a panic attack because of breathing control, and when you breathe it feels like your still not getting any air. I usually do an uncommon form of yoga in the sauna called Kriya yoga.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
once you realize its all in your head and you overpower it, it becomes nothing more than just passing internal dialogue.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by prolific
I have a tip. It's easily overlooked and might be called quiet ridiculous.

Just take it easy.

Originally posted by pepsi78
reply to post by greyer

It's what helped me so I'm guessing it will help you.

- Vitamin B this should include the whole B complex.
- Omega 3 fish oil.
- Lemonade once a day from one lemon.
- Saint john wort in the form of herb, make tea out of it, drink it when you wake up or when you go to bed.
- Forget the gym, the gym may be good but nothing compared to jogging, jog at least 3 km a day.
- Mediattion, optional, it may help very very good, but if you over do it it may cause what you feeling now, so depending on how you practice and how long you practice it may make you feel better or worst. Worst if you over do it, better if you take time to meditate from time to time, it is relaxing just don't go too deep.

Originally posted by Lysergic
once you realize its all in your head and you overpower it, it becomes nothing more than just passing internal dialogue.

This is good information because I am looking for an instantaneous method of loosing the anxiety. Just different scenarios do it, and when I think of stepping outside of my body and looking at my body I am instantly anxious.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

COKIE THE CLOWN

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Anxiety can stem from a worry about the future coming from within. I had a constant nagging feeling since about year 2000 that our planet was due for mass destruction of people, I just could not find the answers to all my questions and I looked everywhere for "tangible" answers etc and just felt we were heading for the end.

I had that bad feeling growing constantly and finally started my spiritual journey to find truth. Still didn´t help but after I read the book Zhuan Falun and found out about Falun Dafa(ancient high-level Qi Gong from China which was made public in 1992 to try to help people reach high levels of cultivation) I got the essence of why I am here and what will happen to mother earth etc etc.

The free e-book link is avaIlable below in my signature link. Please check it out, the communists banned the book after it sold more than 100 million copies during the 90s...

There are profound matters going on with mother earth now and disasters will keep increasing to a ridiculous point soon, the book has the answers to the profound questions in my humble opinion.

Just my two cents.

/Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good, Falun Dafa is good

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
There are pressure points that help. Start at the top of your breastbone and go 2 fingers up your collar bone and tap. Keep tapping until you feel the attack start to subside.I have more to add but I should have been in bed an hour ago. Darn you ATSers stop posting such interesting things. *shakes fist at screen*

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
EFT!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gaussq
Anxiety can stem from a worry about the future coming from within. I had a constant nagging feeling since about year 2000 that our planet was due for mass destruction of people, I just could not find the answers to all my questions and I looked everywhere for "tangible" answers etc and just felt we were heading for the end.

I had that bad feeling growing constantly and finally started my spiritual journey to find truth. Still didn´t help but after I read the book Zhuan Falun and found out about Falun Dafa(ancient high-level Qi Gong from China which was made public in 1992 to try to help people reach high levels of cultivation) I got the essence of why I am here and what will happen to mother earth etc etc.

The free e-book link is avaIlable below in my signature link. Please check it out, the communists banned the book after it sold more than 100 million copies during the 90s...

There are profound matters going on with mother earth now and disasters will keep increasing to a ridiculous point soon, the book has the answers to the profound questions in my humble opinion.

Just my two cents.

/Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good, Falun Dafa is good

I think that your post has profoundly hit me and give me ideas for a new thread. In no way can I get around this brain signal thought processes that transefer into emotions. Anxiety may be one, but there must be 1,000s of unnamed ones like different shades of colors. Very true that I need to somehow control the transfers.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have fluctuating anxiety, honestly who can't with everything going on in the world and then in each individuals life.

The first thing to do is bring the calm...it is hard to locate triggers when you are already a wreck. Breathing exercises can help something as simple as stopping and taking 5 deep in and out focusing on your stomach reacting like a balloon this is "Pranayama" breathing. Gently pushing all of the air out of you focusing on the upper abdomen bringing it inwards. Then gently allowing the air to flow back in filling you like a balloon. Some people have a hard time so it can help distract your mind to start and then will come natural with time.

The second thing is to find a good herb something natural, Kava Kava has gotten a bad rap yet this is due to over use. Many herbs are designed for temporary use to flow with nature as the seasons come and go. Try to find herbs that are in season designed to treat anxiety and rotate them when needed. Ginseng is a good treatment for anxiety or prolonged effects of stress yet should also be taken in intervals. There are additional herbs suggested inside the "ginseng" link.

Once you calm you can slowly start to notice when it kicks off and can learn to prevent or manage the situations. I learned that coffee late in the afternoon makes me grumpy and that any kind of fast food seems to make me depressed and grocery shopping gives me sever anxiety (I think that is because money 5 people household you know it wont be cheap as the cart fills the panic begins) I have learned to avoid coffee or just caffeine late and rarely eat fast food and take ginseng before the grocery store.

There will still be moments of stress we are not designed to be content all the time. A local doctor told that some people just have heightened senses and just pick up too much information at times. Every once in a while just block it all out, turn everything out, sit outside and stare. If you find it hard to zone out try guided imagery it can be helpful for some.

Good luck.

I forgot to mention, do not skip meals this messes with you blood sugar levels and can trigger anxiety. If you have to hide food in easy to access areas or keep snack in your pocket or bag. Nuts and dried fruits are a good choice to battle a on coming attack.

edit on 27-4-2011 by UdderlyInsane because: Forgetful

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I have suffered anxiety in the past, linked to stressful experiences and can be prone to intermittent bouts of it as a result.

Yoga really helps me with anxiety, but you say you already practice that? It has helped me be in the present and purge past memories and not to worry about the future. For me, anyway, yoga can be like therapy in that it purges energy and feelings without necessarily having to talk about them. Iyengar yoga, is the branch that I found to be most useful. Which branch do you practice? Have you tried different practitioners?

Therapy/ counselling can be a very useful way to take charge and conquer anxiety and I would agree that finding the underlying emotional cause (if it is one in your case) can be of great benefit. Better out than in. I find even talking about issues with friends can help in this way.

I would not discount medication, if you find your anxiety really disabling as it could help you gain control of it enough to work on the underlying causes. I agree though, just thinking that medication will solve the issue will just delay the anxiety until you are not taking the medication. One medication worth considering are beta blockers. I was once prescribed these to help prevent migraines and they really do take the edge off things.

A balanced diet, exercise and getting enough sleep really does help too.

If you have specific anxieties, sometimes tackling the fear head on can really help to desensitise you to it. At one point, I used to be really afraid of needles and hospitals in general. For health reasons this needed to be overcome. Undergoing lots of these things in a short period of time, combined with working out that my fear was tied to not being in control has really helped. I tell the nurses and doctors I am afraid now, keep my eyes closed and babble a bit. This help me get through it at the time and now I don't spend days beforehand whisking myself into a frenzy about having to have an injection and can remain calm in the build up.

During one round of blood tests a great Doctor practiced NLP technique with me (I think this is what he called it). He got me to close my eyes and visualise and describe somewhere I would really like to be and how I would feel there. Picturing a tropical beach, with the waves crashing, the sun shining down on me etc really worked and helped distract me from my fear- I didn't even notice the needle going in on that occasion.

Anyway. all of these things are worth considering, with relation to your anxiety. I hope something that has been suggested by all of those that have replied resonates and helps you in some way.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by UdderlyInsane
I have fluctuating anxiety, honestly who can't with everything going on in the world and then in each individuals life.

The first thing to do is bring the calm...it is hard to locate triggers when you are already a wreck. Breathing exercises can help something as simple as stopping and taking 5 deep in and out focusing on your stomach reacting like a balloon this is "Pranayama" breathing. Gently pushing all of the air out of you focusing on the upper abdomen bringing it inwards. Then gently allowing the air to flow back in filling you like a balloon. Some people have a hard time so it can help distract your mind to start and then will come natural with time.

The second thing is to find a good herb something natural, Kava Kava has gotten a bad rap yet this is due to over use. Many herbs are designed for temporary use to flow with nature as the seasons come and go. Try to find herbs that are in season designed to treat anxiety and rotate them when needed. Ginseng is a good treatment for anxiety or prolonged effects of stress yet should also be taken in intervals. There are additional herbs suggested inside the "ginseng" link.

Once you calm you can slowly start to notice when it kicks off and can learn to prevent or manage the situations. I learned that coffee late in the afternoon makes me grumpy and that any kind of fast food seems to make me depressed and grocery shopping gives me sever anxiety (I think that is because money 5 people household you know it wont be cheap as the cart fills the panic begins) I have learned to avoid coffee or just caffeine late and rarely eat fast food and take ginseng before the grocery store.

There will still be moments of stress we are not designed to be content all the time. A local doctor told that some people just have heightened senses and just pick up too much information at times. Every once in a while just block it all out, turn everything out, sit outside and stare. If you find it hard to zone out try guided imagery it can be helpful for some.

Good luck.

I forgot to mention, do not skip meals this messes with you blood sugar levels and can trigger anxiety. If you have to hide food in easy to access areas or keep snack in your pocket or bag. Nuts and dried fruits are a good choice to battle a on coming attack.

edit on 27-4-2011 by UdderlyInsane because: Forgetful

UdderlyInsane, thank you for the post!

I am definetly going to try the breathing. Before during an attack I would always try the breathing, but as I inhale it is shaky, like it stops 1,2,3,4, as I go up. I will try to do the 5 hard slams and see it that works, eventually.

I do try to take an herb, I have seen many majestic things with that. I have seen my whole world change in less than 30 seconds. I have been in the lowest of lows, and within like 1 second my mind can completely rearrange all of the stems, and the deep roots of the thoughts that drove me into depression. That has always been amazing.

I believe I have high senses, I do not drink coffee because I experience anxiety for hours after a half cup, and can take one sip of coffee already feeling the effects of the caffeine. I do Kriya yoga, the form of yoga where you can sit up to 8 hours in one posture. Right now I am studying the art of attention and memory, if we can forget we can beat the anxiety and the depression. Now I think only a very strict mind would beat all anxiety.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join