It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmers and Seed Producers Launch Preemptive Strike against Monsanto

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

This is a good news piece for those of us who care about organic foods. Monsanto has for far too long been wrecking the small farmer with law suits. This preemptive strike should curtail those efforts if successful. Best of luck to them in their suit because if they do not prevail organic farming might be doomed.

I am happy to see this but I very much fear it is too little too late.

There are two other factors besides the law courts involved

The biggest is the ultimate nasty the "Food unSafety" Modernization Act. (I will discuss in my next post)

The second is the Monsanto/Ag cartel controlled FDA/USDA.

Believe me those SOBs are vindictive as heck!!!! The farmers who go up against Monsanto in this lawsuit will be painting a gigantic target on their backs!

EXAMPLES:
Linda Faillace: Mad Sheep - USDA officials claimed in our court hearing that, “The farmers have no rights."

John Munsell & A Trip To The Woodshed With The USDA (Humorous tale about USDA ignoring warnings by John of a Deadly situation)

NAIS Supporters Fighting Dirty - The USDA and the State Dept of Agriculture claimed Karen harassed people, and even caused a riot to break out at an event she was never at. The State Dept of Ag even provided numerous e-mails to the expo resulting in Karen from being banned so she could not pass out educational brochures about Animal ID! She sued and won.

Henshaw Incident - The Boar Wars:
www.readthehook.com...
Incident as it happened
Henshaw Documents (covers travesty of a trial)

Paul-Martin Griepentrog
I wish Paul could write better and tell his whole story. In a private e-mail to me and other farmer advocates he reported government agents breaking into his house and trashing his computer. He was helping the Amish in a lawsuit at the time.
Her is a bit written by him: www.opednews.com...
Here is some of his comments from the NoNAIS.org Website

Wisconsin was the first state to make NAIS mandatory. The corporate response is quite interesting. Family farmers have feared that:

“One of the big goals of NAIS is to shift liability to the farmers and off of the packers and retail chains. This is despite the fact that virtually all food contamination happens at the slaughterhouse and beyond.” nonais.org...

Paul-Martin:Griepentrog on September 3, 2008 reported that this was indeed the case. He attended

“quality assurance training required for Badger Vac 45.” And reported “You [the farmer] will be required to cover ALL expenses in the event of contamination...The bottom line is that after 10 years [note the date] of below normal prices here in Wis because the state allowed Equity Livestock Coop to create a monopoly, our savior has now arrived to burden us with contracts shifting all liability to feeder cattle producers if they can’t prove they are innocent. “ Source

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Monsanto has to be stopped before the have a monopoly on all seeds, who knows what modifications they are doing to the seeds, but why stop at the farmers, this should go viral.
S&F for ya

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peter Brake

Kindly ask Monsato to pay for crop losses and cleanup absolutely for organic farms (and everyone else). Organic farms lose their certification if they have GE crops. Make Monsato pay for it all.

Peter this is what had happened, Monsanto's seeds has contaminated lands used to grow organic crops. For years this company has gotten away from paying for any damages to the "little guy's" properties. Actually they've had the nerve to sue organic farmers saying they were infringing on Monsanto's patents when those modified plants grew on the organic farmers' properties, knowing all along the wind deposited those seeds on those organic farmlands.

Monsanto is a large impersonal corporation that has been monopolizing the industry for decades, they no longer respond to letters worded kindly for them to clean up their messes instead they've been trampling small farmers who complained about their abuses.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Monsanto is a prime example of MONOPOLY. Why and how they have not been disbanded is beyond me. Aren't there (weren't there) laws in place to prevent corporations from reaching this TOTALITARIAN level of business? They are in it for the money, pure and simple. Sure, business is about making money, but there is doing it in a way that BENEFITS people and there is doing it in a destructive way.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I don't disagree with you. These guys are more than willing to fight dirty. I think they would go so far as to hire mercenaries in fact to harass the plaintiffs if they felt that was necessary. They do have a mercenary company now on their payroll. I do not think them acquiring Xe (AKA Blackwater) was an accident. They are more than willing to fight dirty and have money for the long war in any legal battle.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!!! ITS TIME THAT WE GIVE THIS CORPARATIONS A PIECE OF OUR MIND. THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT US THEY JUST WANT MONEY. THATS WHY THEY POISIN OUR WATER MESS WITH OUR FOOD AND PROVIDE US PERCRIPTIONS. THEY THINK THAT GOOD HEALTH DOESNT MAKE MONEY WHICH IS A BIG MISCONCEPTION. WE REALLY NEED TO TRY HARD TO STOP THIS MADNESS. IT WONT BE EASY BUT WE NEED TO MAKE A STAND AND GET OUT THERE BUT ALL OUR VOICES AS ONE. WE CANT JUST TALK THE TRUTH BEHIND THESE COMPUTERS. IN NUMBERS WE ARE MUCH STONGER THEN THEM (CORPRATAMERICA, SECRET SOCITIES, POLITICIANS). BELOW IS A GREAT WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN START GETTING INVOLVED IN RALLIES, EDUCATION ON GMO'S, ETC.

www.organicconsumers.org...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerramjett

Monsanto has to be stopped before the have a monopoly on all seeds, who knows what modifications they are doing to the seeds, but why stop at the farmers, this should go viral.

If you really want to freak out try

SPERMICIDAL CORN!!!!

It is grown right here in my state. During the drought a few years ago I used locally grown corn and beet pulp as part of my feed ration because hay was so hard to come by and EXPENSIVE!

My buck (male goat) never ever produced a baby again!!! Yet those same does (nannies) produced babies by two other bucks.

...A small California biotech company, Epicyte, in 2001 announced the development of genetically engineered corn which contained a spermicide which made the semen of men who ate it sterile. At the time Epicyte had a joint venture agreement to spread its technology with DuPont and Syngenta, two of the sponsors of the Svalbard Doomsday Seed Vault. Epicyte was since acquired by a North Carolina biotech company. Astonishing to learn was that Epicyte had developed its spermicidal GMO corn with research funds from the US Department of Agriculture, the same USDA which, despite worldwide opposition, continued to finance the development of Terminator technology, now held by Monsanto. More here.

Now do you want labels on your GMO foods?
noblelie.com...

Here is a comment from a student "defending" this corn stating the "antibodies" will not work if introduced through the digestive system. link

Maybe maybe not but I do not trust the Rockefellers with their population control agenda and THEY fund the medical/Pharmaceutical industry: link

She mentions “horizontal gene transfer.” more info on that - it is the really scary part.

Horizontal Gene Transfer from GMOs Does Happen

Recent evidence confirms that transgenic DNA does jump species to bacteria and even plant and animals, as some of us had predicted Dr. Mae-Wan Ho and Prof. Joe Cummins

Genetic engineering creates vast arrays of transgenic DNA that could spread, not only through cross-pollination with the same or related species, but also through the direct uptake of the transgenic DNA by cells of unrelated species, a process called horizontal gene transfer. We have been alerting regulators to Horizontal Gene Transfer - The Hidden Hazards of Genetic Engineering [1] on many occasions since the late 1990s [2-4] (Genetic Engineering Dream or Nightmare, ISIS Publication) when the regulators and their scientific advisors had denied vehemently that horizontal gene transfer could happen, and assumed mistakenly that transgenic DNA, like all DNA, would be rapidly degraded once out of the cell.

In a review published in 1998 [5], we presented extensive evidence that DNA persists in all environments and can indeed be taken up by cells of many species throughout the living world. We called for a public enquiry on the extent to which the poorly regulated discharge of transgenic organisms and transgenic nucleic acids into the environment could have been responsible for the increased emergence of new viral and bacterial diseases and antibiotic and drug resistance since genetic engineering began in the mid 1970s. Horizontal gene transfer and recombination is the main route for generating new pathogens and spreading antibiotic and drug resistance, and genetic engineering is nothing if not greatly facilitated horizontal gene transfer and recombination....

...they’ve already found that genetically modified foods (GMO’s) can affect birth weight and infant mortality. Now, scientists in Russia recently discovered one horrifying consequence — GMO’s might cause “long term sterility” — that is sterility in 2nd or 3rd generations of offspring.... inhabitat.com...

Following the trail we come to:

...Concerning the experiment carried out jointly by the National Association for Gene Security and the Institute of Ecological and Evolutional Problems, Dr. Alexei Surov has this to say.

“We selected several groups of hamsters, kept them in pairs in cells and gave them ordinary food as always,” says Alexei Surov. “We did not add anything for one group but the other was fed with soya that contained no GM components, while the third group with some content of Genetically Modified Organisms and the fourth one with increased amount of GMO.

We monitored their behavior and how they gain weight and when they give birth to their cubs. Originally, everything went smoothly. However, we noticed quite a serious effect when we selected new pairs from their cubs and continued to feed them as before. These pairs’ growth rate was slower and reached their sexual maturity slowly.

When we got some of their cubs we formed the new pairs of the third generation. We failed to get cubs from these pairs, which were fed with GM foodstuffs. It was proved that these pairs lost their ability to give birth to their cubs,” Dr. Alexei Surov said. english.ruvr.ru...

Independent confirmation:

New Scientist: US babies mysteriously shrinking

Birthweights in the US are falling but no one knows why, according to a study of 36.8 million infants born between 1990 and 2005.

A 52-gram drop in the weight of full-term singletons – from an average of 3.441 to 3.389 kilograms – has left Emily Oken's team at Harvard Medical School scratching their heads. It can't be accounted for by an increase in caesarean sections or induced labours, which shorten gestation. What's more, women in the US now smoke less and gain more weight during pregnancy, which should make babies heavier. Oken suggests that unmeasured factors, such as diet or exercise, could explain why babies are being born lighter....

Journal Reference: Obstetrics & Gynecology, DOI: 10.1097/aog.0b013e3181cbd5f5

Other reference: www.responsibletechnology.org...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

Because they are in bed with the USDA, The FDA.

And when the Monsanto Minions graduate, guess where they go?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3581a467677.jpg[/atsimg]

Also one of their former lawyer's is now a Supreme Court Justice, Clarence Thomas.

Something needs to be done about Monsanto, its hard to stop an entity who writes their own rules.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Can you imagine what the plight of the humans will be after few generations if the animals are already going through this ?

A man with huge breasts and a vagina in addition to a penis ? and a woman with a penis in addition to a vagina? Is this what self sufficiency means ?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Anyone remember the lone farmer Percy Schmeiser who was one of the first "Davids" to battle the goliath monsanto--
He is a pioneer hero as well
CHEERS TO ALL!

www.percyschmeiser.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Here's your list of grassroots NonGmo seeds, if you want to do something, support any all and all of these pioneers in the battle to save the integrity of what nature has provided and twisted science seeks to destroy and eradicate.

Many of us already use at least one or more of the listed, but today I will order more from them just to help keep this freedom strong.

The plaintiffs in the suit represented by PUBPAT are: Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association; Organic Crop Improvement Association International, Inc.; OCIA Research and Education Inc.; The Cornucopia Institute; Demeter Association, Inc.; Navdanya International; Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association; Northeast Organic Farming Association/Massachusetts Chapter, Inc.; Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont; Rural Vermont; Ohio Ecological Food & Farm Association; Southeast Iowa Organic Association; Northern Plains Sustainable Agriculture Society; Mendocino Organic Network; Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance; Canadian Organic Growers; Family Farmer Seed Cooperative; Sustainable Living Systems; Global Organic Alliance; Food Democracy Now!; Family Farm Defenders Inc.; Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund; FEDCO Seeds Inc.; Adaptive Seeds, LLC; Sow True Seed; Southern Exposure Seed Exchange; Mumm’s Sprouting Seeds; Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co., LLC; Comstock, Ferre & Co., LLC; Seedkeepers, LLC; Siskiyou Seeds; Countryside Organics; Cuatro Puertas; Interlake Forage Seeds Ltd.; Alba Ranch; Wild Plum Farm; Gratitude Gardens; Richard Everett Farm, LLC; Philadelphia Community Farm, Inc; Genesis Farm; Chispas Farms LLC; Kirschenmann Family Farms Inc.; Midheaven Farms; Koskan Farms; California Cloverleaf Farms; North Outback Farm; Taylor Farms, Inc.; Jardin del Alma; Ron Gargasz Organic Farms; Abundant Acres; T & D Willey Farms; Quinella Ranch; Nature’s Way Farm Ltd.; Levke and Peter Eggers Farm; Frey Vineyards, Ltd.; Bryce Stephens; Chuck Noble; LaRhea Pepper; Paul Romero; and, Donald Wright Patterson, Jr.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

If there's one massive corporation out there that I truly and wholeheartedly HATE (and I'll say HATE because it is a powerful word),,, it's Monsanto. I've never dealt with them personally, I have no ties to farming or agriculture whatsoever, but for them to have the nerve to do what it is they do on a daily basis without a shred of guilt or accountability just thinking about it boils my blood.

I truly and sincerely hope that these brave farmers win their case and put an end to Monstanto's incessant school-yard bullying.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
good news

although i hope they're well backed,,, monsanto can drag this out till they can't afford to continue to persue it

that's there MO on small farmers

also,, i just found out recently DuPont is the third largest seed company,,,, shocked me a little
didn't see them as a seed company

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
As much as I salute the idea ..

this is hardly a preemptive strike.

It's more like a sucker punch from someone already stomped half dead

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peter Brake

It seems totally strange that your legal system works this way, to me Monsato is criminally liable for the damage done from spreading seeds that infest other farmers, and these folks are getting sued!!

I do found americans to be rather weird sometimes, their food source comes from the same company that produces agent orange. Talk about spreading bad karma around to the masses, it's like having chemical ali for a chef.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayouttheredude

I don't disagree with you. These guys are more than willing to fight dirty. I think they would go so far as to hire mercenaries in fact to harass the plaintiffs if they felt that was necessary. They do have a mercenary company now on their payroll. I do not think them acquiring Xe (AKA Blackwater) was an accident. They are more than willing to fight dirty and have money for the long war in any legal battle.

Yeah about that...

Monsanto already has it's own private army..

They brought out a portion of Blackwater a couple of years ago..

Now, what dose a Gm food and chem company want with a private army I wonder..!?!

It pisses me off greatly when I start to think what this GM food is doing to us on a genetic level.. and to think they know exactly what it is doing and will stop at nothing to make sure that their agenda is met..

John Mellencamp said it best..

"Blood on the Cornfields - Blood on the plough"
edit on 3/31/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by vesqui1990

BELOW IS A GREAT WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN START GETTING INVOLVED IN RALLIES, EDUCATION ON GMO'S, ETC.

www.organicconsumers.org...

Organic Consumers Association is a TROJAN HORSE!!!!

I could not understand WHY Organic Consumers Assoc and Food and Water Watch were in favor of this bill. Until I did some digging: Maude Barlow a “no dog in this fight” Canadian, is a director of both. She has been handsomely rewarded for selling the US consumer out with an appointment as New Senior Advisor to the UN president on October 21, 2008. Note on February 18, 2008 “Hillary Clinton highlights a series of food safety proposals she would pursue as president.” (PRNewsChannel) / Washington, D.C

Organic Consumers Association $57,176.00 2000 – 2005 Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors

Another board director of Food and Water Watch is Dennis Keeney is a Senior Fellow at the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy

Mark Ritchie: President, Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy; has Connection to Tides. The Tides Center’s corporate registration documents on file in Minnesota show that Mark Ritchie is its “registered agent.” This might explain why the Tides Foundation has paid over $20,000 to a commercial corporation owned by Ritchie and his brother.

Linn Cohn-Cole and the rest of us farmers pleaded with those S.O.B's to support them in the fight against Monsanto's dream bill

What do we get??? Organic Consumers and their Sister organization Food & Water Watch had the GALL to call us Dis-INFO agents and published a supposed "Fact" sheet about called STOP the Hysteria!

...Lori Robertson of FactCheck.org, who is not a lawyer (she has a B.A. in advertising), claims the bill doesn’t apply to “that tomato plant in your backyard.” As a lawyer, I am skeptical of this claim (I co-represented the prevailing defendant in the last successful constitutional challenge to federal regulation under the interstate commerce clause, United States v. Morrison (2000), one of only two cases in 70 years in which a challenge was successful). Congress's power under the Constitution's Commerce Clause is almost unlimited in the eyes of the courts, and thus can reach the "tomato plant in your backyard."

This so-called “food safety” bill may actually make food less safe. Federal regulation often backfires or reduces competition.... www.examiner.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
good for them.
the independent farmer is the backbone of the good'ol USA.

i don't know how many of have read Jeff Smith 'Seed of Deception'
but here is a good link.
www.seedsofdeception.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Yes, Monsanto's monopoly is nasty.

Most Americans have absolutely no idea that over the past couple of decades, one giant corporation has achieved a virtual monopoly on some of the most important seed markets in the United States. Not only that, but this same company has done more to push genetically modified food on to the dinner tables of America than any other corporation. The name of that giant corporation is Monsanto, and today approximately 95 percent of all soybeans and approximately 80 percent of all corn in the United States grow from seeds genetically altered according to Monsanto company patents. The power that Monsanto now holds is almost indescribable. Now, a stunning new investigation by the Associated Press has revealed how Monsanto is relentlessly squeezing their competitors, exerting tremendous control over the survival of smaller seed companies and ruthlessly protecting its dominance over the multibillion-dollar market for genetically altered seeds.

Read more here:
disasterandemergencysurvival.com... very-dinner-table-in-the-united-states

edit on 2011-3-31 by tomten because: Added movie clip

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I had promised more about why Monsanto has such an advantage over the poor farmers. The big problem is the new Food Safety Modernization act of 2010. Part 1 is how we got saddled with the darned law.

THE REAL STORY behind the LAW

(John Munsell is a real person, I have talked to him on the phone. )

One E. coli O157:H7 Outbreak I Think I could have Prevented: by a law firm speciallizing in Food Borne ill cases that Munsell contacted.

John Munsell & A Trip To The Woodshed With The USDA Humorous story detailing the Corruption in the government.

Senate Hearings
Testimony: Mr. Stan Painter, Chairman, National Joint Council of Food Inspection Locals:

Hearing where Stan Painter is called a LIAR by the government. (In a round about way of course)

Efforts of Food inspectors to bring problems with HACCP is ignored by USDA management
Apr 17, 2008 Testimony:Mr. Stan Painter, Chairman, National Joint Council of Food Inspection Locals: December 2004 Union president Stan Painter receive reports from union member that SRM regulations are not uniformly enforced. Painter writes to the Assistant FSIS Administrator for Field Operation about enforcement problem. USDA responses by placed Painter on disciplinary investigation status and contacts the USDA Office of Inspector General about filing criminal charges.

It (the recall of Hallmark/Westland Meat) highlights one of the problems that we have attempted to raise with the agency ever since 1996 when the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) inspection system was put in place. There seems to be too much reliance on an honor system for the industry to police itself. While the USDA investigation is still on going at Hallmark/Westland, a couple of facts have emerged that point to a system that can be gamed by those who want to break the law. It (HACCP) shifted the responsibility for food safety over to the companies .

December 2004 Freedom of Information Act requests
August 2005 Over 1000 non-compliance reports – weighing some 16 pounds -- turned over

Barbara Kowalcyk Co-founder, director of food safety, Center For Foodborne Illness is a classic example of the propaganda "WAR" that was carried out on the internet by puppets of the AG Cartel.

She SAYS, her son, Kevin died in 2001. Instead of going after the REAL cause of the problem, corruption in the USDA and FDA, she has been shepherded into joining ranks with those who killed her son - Monsanto and the AG cartel.

In her own words:

President Obama made history Tuesday when he signed the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act into law. This historic event establishes the first major reform of food oversight at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) since 1938...

This new [food] law is the first step moving us toward such a system, as described in a recent National Academy of Sciences report which I co-authored....

Have the food safety Regs been changed since 1938? - YES!
IT was CHANGED to the system that killed her kid and that she want to apply to farms as well as food processing plants!

THE REAL REASON OUR FOOD IS UNSAFE!!!!

...in 1993, the USDA decided to move to the HACCP system of inspection. Based on the idea that the plant operator knows the plant better than the USDA, the responsibility for designing an inspection system was turned over to each individual plant.

.... USDA “officials initially described HACCP to the industry in the mid-90’s, the agency made the following enticing promises:

* “Under HACCP, the agency will implement a ‘Hands Off’ role in meat inspection.
* “Under HACCP, the agency will no longer police the industry, but the industry will police itself.
* “Under HACCP, the agency will disband its previous command and control authority.
* “Under HACCP, each plant will write its own HACCP Plan, and the agency cannot tell plants what must be in their HACCP Plans.”

As a result, the inspector was no longer responsible for what was happening on the plant floor: that was left to company personnel. The new role of the inspector was to make sure that plant personnel were carrying out their duties in a manner consistent with the HACCP plan. In many cases this amounted to making sure that all of the paper work was in the proper order.... www.agpolicy.org...

A Food and Drug Administration plan to close seven of 13 field laboratories has angered some lawmakers, government workers and safety advocates...

Note the significant drop in Government testing after the World Trade Organization's Agreement on Agriculture was ratified in 1995.

Summary of Tuberculosis Surveillance in California Cattle

Number of Cattle Tested........1995.....1996.....1997.......1998.......1999......2000.....2001
By Animal Health Officials...10,576...5,100 ....2,861 .....3,530.....1,425 ....1,967.....2,500
By Private Veterinarians ...15,921...17,100...19,930...18,189...22,863...19,930...19,587
Submissions at Slaughter..........39..........58 .........64...........39...........58..........64.........385
www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu...

TEXAS ANIMAL HEALTH COMMISSION 2009 – 2013 AGENCY STRATEGIC PLAN

The surveillance element or function is the most intensive of the six functions with respect to resources and personnel. Surveillance includes all activities designed and implemented to identify and locate any possible focus of infection or exposure to diseases of animal/poultry health significance in the livestock, poultry and exotic animal population. TAHC surveys animal populations for possible disease problems by collecting blood samples at livestock markets, on farms or ranches, and at slaughter plants.... Additionally, TAHC foreign animal disease diagnosticians investigate all reports of potential foreign animal diseases in order to achieve early diagnosis of a foreign animal disease, should it be introduced into the state.

USDA is moving toward supporting fewer labs nationwide, with the remaining labs serving as regional labs and supporting larger geographic areas..... If this funding is not maintained, this lab will be closed and the out-of-state samples will not be processed by remaining TAHC laboratories....

Analysis of the real problems with US food safety:

Peanut Quality - How did the Food Inspection Fail?:www.opednews.com...

See John Munsell's comment in this article: "Who needs Al-Qaeda when you have got E. coli?" : www.marlerblog.com...

Here is a quick and dirty on the POLITICS behind the food RIOTS of 2008:

1995 - VP of Cargill, Dan Amstutz, writes World Trade Organization Agreement on Ag. It got rid of tariffs and opened borders to food imports with minimal inspection.

Amstutz writes 1996 farm bill called Freedom to Farm (Freedom to Fail Act) that over produces very cheap grain. The law also change US grain reserve policy.

Amstutz goes to work for Goldman Sachs.

Gramm, head of the CFTC, helped firms such as Goldman Sachs gain influence over the commodity markets. At the end of 2006, food prices across the world started to rise, suddenly. Wheat had shot up by 80 per cent, maize by 90 per cent, rice by 320 per cent.

“Then, in spring 2008, prices just as mysteriously fell back to their previous level. Jean Ziegler, the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food, calls it “a silent mass murder”, entirely due to “man-made actions.” Through the 1990s, Goldman Sachs and others lobbied hard and the regulations [controlling agricultural futures contracts] were abolished. Suddenly, these contracts were turned into “derivatives” that could be bought and sold among traders who had nothing to do with agriculture. A market in “food speculation” was born. The speculators drove the price through the roof.” www.independent.co.uk...

In 2008 Monsanto and Cargill report record breaking profits. USDA reports “The cupboard is bare” we have no more grain reserves.

In 2010 : Fmr. President Clinton Apologizes for Trade Policies that Destroyed Haitian Rice Farming – “We Made a Devil’s Bargain”

President Bill Clinton, now the UN Special Envoy to Haiti, publicly apologized last month for forcing Haiti to drop tariffs on imported, subsidized US rice during his time in office. The policy wiped out Haitian rice farming and seriously damaged Haiti’s ability to be self-sufficient.” www.democracynow.org...

Sure looks like politics has a lot more to do with food prices and food borne illness tha farmers did!

SHIELDING THE GIANTS: www.whistleblower.org...

These three threads deal directly with the GMO threat around the world. It is a Review of F. William Engdahl's "Seeds of Destruction" (Part I - III)
www.smirkingchimp.com...
www.smirkingchimp.com...
www.smirkingchimp.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join