It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fatal Brain Disease Spreads in Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Fatal Brain Disease Spreads in Britain

www.daijiworld.com

Nearly 40 people in Britain are at risk of developing a fatal brain disease through infected medical instruments...

CJD or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease ...leads to rapid decrease of mental function and movement.

…One patient first underwent surgery in 2007. The surgical instruments used in his surgery were reportedly used in 38 other operations, said a hospital spokesman.

Though the equipment was sterilised, it was not done at a "high enough" temperature to eradicate infectious proteins...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The disease is not just spreading in Britain, and instruments for brain surgery are not the only problem…

CJD is one of many diseases caused by "prions" - proteins that "misfold," become infectious and spread simply by touching other, healthy proteins.

Of special note: Radiation exposure is one of the many ways healthy proteins misfold into toxic shapes, and create infectious prions.

environmental insults, either physical (heat, pressure, radiation) or chemical (heavy metals, arsenate, toxins), also cause proteins to misfold into toxic shapes.

Prions can't be killed because they're not alive, so standard sterilization and decontamination methods leave them intact, or worse, cause them to mutate and create a new strain.

It's concerning as a clinician to hear that patients are continuing to be notified they might have been exposed to contaminated instruments when we thought several years ago this problem was solved…”

…Unlike viruses and bacteria, prions are extremely hardy, and cannot be destroyed by normal decontamination methods, such as autoclaving of surgical instruments.

Recently, the mainstream news reported prion-contaminated fertility drugs and the EPA announced that prions would be defined as pests under FIFRA to enable monitoring of blood and urine derived products as well as dental and surgical instruments, tissue and more. For the first time, steps will be taken to screen prions from blood products, tissues for transplant, medical devices and etc. Apparently, the only way to do that (legally) was to define "prion" as a "pest" under FIFRA - in order to monitor and regulate sterilation and screening. [Note: This regulation is not implemented yet.]

News reports last fall identified the fact that any kind of general surgery done with re-used instruments commonly resulted in prion-related dementia within 10-20 years - virtually any invasive medical procedure results in a prion disease within 10 to 20 years. Note: The studies only look for CJD and BSE prions, but NOT diseases and disorders that involve different disease-causing prions, and cause so-called "conformational" and "protein mis-folding" conditions.

Surgery Linked to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

…with a few exceptions, the risk of having contracted the sporadic form of CJD manifests itself at least 20 years after having undergone an operation.

…We might, therefore, ask ourselves if other types of motor neuron diseases can be transmitted through surgery and be latent for decades, such as those where risk factors, particularly physical professions and activities or certain sporting activities, for example, which are more likely to lead to surgery, have already been indicated.

…the most conclusive pattern that the study presents, … is that the onset of CJD occurs approximately 10 years after an operation on the retina with reused equipment.

Perhaps coincidentally, the effects of low level radiation exposure also take 10-20 years.

Ra diation particles in food are a slow-release health threat:

In any case, there is a slow-release international health challenge on the horizon. Ten years will need to pass before we can gauge its full extent.

Dr. Shafiq Qaadri is a Toronto family physician.

All things considered, apparently the truth about prions is coming out now for good reason: to take the heat off the Nuclear Industry, and share it with the Agricultural Industries.

I am extremely disappointed in our leaders' behavior.

www.daijiworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

The fact that we reuse surgical equipment actually probably explains that finding your posting in the other thread that just surgery itself was a risk factor for dementia.

I didnt think about it at the time, but that is what it is. Lol. They cant kill the prions by sterilizing the equipment, and so anyone who has surgery preformed on them with the same equipment is at risk.

Ah the things we dont know, and the things we screw up because of the things we dont know.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This prion thing is still a heavy trip for a lot of surgery patients who have undergne everything from brain surgery to dentistry .The whole prion story could be a serious challenge to the medical professions beliefs regarding infectiousness etc.
I wonder if sound waves may be effective in eradicating prions?
Its possible they could be disintigrated with high intensity sound waves?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
This prion thing is still a heavy trip for a lot of surgery patients who have undergne everything from brain surgery to dentistry .The whole prion story could be a serious challenge to the medical professions beliefs regarding infectiousness etc.
I wonder if sound waves may be effective in eradicating prions?
Its possible they could be disintigrated with high intensity sound waves?

Not sure. ...It's hard to "kill" something that's not "alive" - and in general, new 'exposures' just cause prions to mutate into new strains. …For your info:

Literature Reports of PHYSICAL SUSCEPTIBILITY for Prion Protein

In general TSE agents are much more resistant than are conventional infectious agents, such as bacteria and viruses, to heat, ultraviolet radiation, ionizing radiation and microwave irradiation.

Haven't searched sound waves though.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

The fact that we reuse surgical equipment actually probably explains that finding your posting in the other thread that just surgery itself was a risk factor for dementia.

I didnt think about it at the time, but that is what it is. Lol. They cant kill the prions by sterilizing the equipment, and so anyone who has surgery preformed on them with the same equipment is at risk.

That's right.

Ah the things we dont know, and the things we screw up because of the things we dont know.

So true.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Figure out how to refold the prions back to their normal shape, and you solve the problem.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Section69

Great !

So who is good at origami ?

S&F Very interesting info. Thanks for posting Soficrow.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is one of many reasons why i dont trust hospitals or clinics .. this is rotten news and im glad you pointed this out to us ...

thanks .

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
and let the lawsuits begin.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Oh well that just bloody brilliant innit, i had 15 inchs of intestine removed in one of the hospitals mentioned in the report in 2006, yet ironically with all the doom and gloom recently forcast for the world im not really that worried, and im not really that clever anyway so it wouldnt make a whole lot of difference.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

Nah, it takes too long for the thing to show up, and once you know you have it you have maybe 14 months.

Plus how can you prove you got it from surgery vs eating infected meat vs self inflicted squirrel brain eating?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
This is one of many reasons why i dont trust hospitals or clinics .. this is rotten news and im glad you pointed this out to us ...

thanks .

I can understand this, when i was being treated in said hospital i was extremely poorly post-op, this was when MRSA was at its height, and i can remember feeling lucky at the end of each day that i didnt have it, in fact i couldnt wait to leave hospital so that i could be safe from illness, how topsy turvy is that?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

I understand your thought totally. I had a hysterectomy on the friday and got myself out on the sunday evening, I even removed my own morphine drip so i could get out. I was far more concerned about what I may pick up in hosptal than my recovery at home. Just to add, I recovered far quicker than the other patients as I found out on my 6 week post op check up.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This is very big news ... it sounds like an industry-sweeping awareness that might affect a lot of lives.
I submitted the relevant info to the Douglass report contact in hopes that they might investigate too.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Can't they just put the surgery tools in a really hot little box for a few seconds? I don't know about a microwave because however unlikely they might mutate.

But how do we kill something that isn't alive? (That sounds familiar, movie quote possibly?) If the hot-box doesn't work, why don't they just use new equipment every time they perform surgery? It's not like hospitals are low on cash, they're probably loaded.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You don't need to kill someting that's not alive!

Couldn't a brush of the correct size be designed to sweep off the prions?! Maybe an ionizer would attract them?!

There's gotta be a somewhat simple way to tackle this.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I think using new tools for each surgery is the best way until they find a cheaper alternative. Besides, it's not like spending more money on equipment is going to put a dent in their budget that they spend a good portion of on hospital equipment.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Once again probably showing my ignorance but could you describe some of the symptoms of CJD for those that don't know?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

It's called autoclaving - and no, it doesn't work.

New instruments every time is the way to go - but they only did it for needles because they're cheap. Scalpels are relatively inexpensive too, but when you get into scopes and specialty stuff, the costs add up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join