It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasons - I have a few questions.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ewok_Boba
O.k, since every mason on here has responded word for word, I'm starting to think you all just read the guidelines and are re-iterating them here.

Given that it's the "specific goal of Freemasonry", what we all did was answer the question.

No offense, but such a task can be achieved elsewhere, no need to resort to some separatist club in order to go about doing this.

I keep hearing this. Beyond the fact that no one, anywhere, ever said it couldn't be done elsewhere, I have a question: what does it hurt that this is our chosen method? That it's somehow "separatist" (whatever that means)?
edit on 31-3-2011 by OnTheLevel213 because: tone

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ewok_Boba
O.k, since every mason on here has responded word for word, I'm starting to think you all just read the guidelines and are re-iterating them here.
Or, via Occam's Razor, it just happens to be the truth.

No offense, but such a task can be achieved elsewhere, no need to resort to some separatist club in order to go about doing this.
And again, no Mason has ever said that you had to join to become a better person. In fact, most of us on this thread have explicitly stated that it is just one path of many, and doesn't make any claims to be better or worse than any other. But it does work for some people.

To put it another way, an alcoholic doesn't need to join AA to quit drinking, but being among a group of supportive, like-minded friends will definitely help keep you on the right track, or at least give you better odds than striking off on your own. Not to say it CAN'T be done solo, but if there's a network in place to help you when you stumble, why not make use of it?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

To add to what the others have said, there's also the aspect of enjoyment. Freemasonry is fun, and highly enjoyable.

Also, the aspect of brotherhood, which is another central aspect of freemasonry, doesn't feature in your argument.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ILovePeace

You assume too much and also shouldn't put words in others mouths. There are some things we cannot and will not share due to our Oaths.

reply to post by ILovePeace

Yes, I still believe that the elected officials of the various branches keep to their oaths as they have given me no reason to doubt them.

Nowhere has any Mason here said that only Freemasons are good people or that our organization is the only worthy club out there. You may find privacy ludicrous, but in keeping our we show that we can keep to our word and integrity.

And to be part of something you claim helps people be this way but closely guards the secrets is ludicrous! (I am not talking about the silly handshakes that we can all see world leaders and bussiness men engaging in).

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
Boriiiing
Ah, you've obviously been to one of our stated meetings then!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by Dajjal
Ok, I have 2 questions

1. How many Forum Moderaters does ATS have ?

2. How many of those Moderators are Freemasons ?

These are just my estimates, I am a new Mod, so hopefully a Super or Admin can answer better, but from what I know there are about 70 Moderators and probably 6 to 8 are Masons.

You are on to our conspiracy though, because if you look at cops, judges, politicians, small business owners, and other successful classes of people, you will find a higher concentration of Masons. Masons tend to be leaders, because their morality, confidence, and steadfastness are conducive to leadership roles. It isn't because we are controlling anything or collaberating to take those positions, it is quite the opposite, people usually approach us about helping out in certain capacities.

I don't think I have ever sought out a leadership role, I have always been invited. I didn't lobby to be Master of my Lodge, but I was nominated and served, I didn't lobby to be a Mod, but I was asked and I accepted, I didn't lobby to run my team at my current job, but I was suggested as a candidate and I won the interview and position, etc., etc.

I'd like to answer like Willie (who isn't a Mason), but alas, I usually accept the roles when offered. Still, ol' Willie says it best,

If asked, I won't run, if elected I won't serve, but if served, I will drink!

Thankyou for answering the question.

I was getting a little alarmed at the prospect of there being lets say about 20 Mods, and lets say about 10 of them being Masons, that for me would be "get the hell outa here" time, no offence intended, I just dont trust secret societies.

But 70 Mods, with 6-8 Masons, I can live with that, if its true.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dajjal
I was getting a little alarmed at the prospect of there being lets say about 20 Mods, and lets say about 10 of them being Masons, that for me would be "get the hell outa here" time, no offence intended, I just dont trust secret societies.

But 70 Mods, with 6-8 Masons, I can live with that, if its true.
I thought under the old code-base there was an easier way to get a list of all the mods. There certainly used to be a list at the bottom of each forum page listing who the mods of that forum were. I haven't been able to find an easy way to list the mods currently though. The Member List page isn't sortable by Status...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
What I meant was, you lot bore me

"Boredom is the root of all evil - the despairing refusal to be oneself."
~Soren Kierkegaard

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretSky

i want to become a freemason i live in miai were do i go to become one

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The lessons are indeed taught in ceremonies. We impart the lessons and give the symbolic tools, but as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Just as is Freemasonry, it's up to the individual to use them.

The tales are not taken as fact but rather as legend. Nor do we say you are reborn or anything like that.

A tribunal can be convened if it comes to the point of expulsion.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

I'm sure there's a kids forum around here somewhere. Adults are talking.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetochange

i want to become a freemason i live in miai were do i go to become one

miai?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretSky
I don't know very much about Freemasonry, other than the little I have read.
From what I have read, Freemasons tend to be helpful people and do a lot of good work for their local communities.
Anyway - I have a few honest questions and would be grateful for your answers.

1. Why did you become a Freemason? I had known people who were Freemasons and every one of them was a "good" person, worthy of emulation.

2. Apart from doing good for the community, is there a specific goal of Freemasonry? It is an opportunity for like-thinking men to meet, like any social club. For those who like ceremony, that is there. For those fascinated with history and/or the past you can follow that line too. It is an opportunity to practice the "art of memory" since the stylised meeting require one to remember the proper format. If you like a little bit of eccentricity, that is there too. Since we all go through the same process, there is a close bond between any Mason and another Mason.

3. If Freemasonry reveals any good information to you, which you cannot share with non-masons, why can it not be revealed? If it is good information, surely it would benefit all. The information we have, is EXACTLY the same information anyone else has access to. The specific "secrets" pertain to our modes of recognition which, with a little research anyone can uncover. The Book of Constitutions of the UGLE (United Grand Lodge of England) and the Sister Constitutions are not secret and your local library could have a copy. With the FICA in South Africa, each lodge having a bank account has had to supply a copy of the Constitutions, Bye Laws of District and Lodge Bye Laws to the banks, no problem. It is a system of moral standards, using allegory and symbols. You have heard of being "on the square" (honest), well where do you think it came from?

4. Isn't being (somewhat) secretive/holding back information a bit divisive towards the same communities you try to do good for? Why should it? The Church elders meeting does not divulge everything they discuss. In any case if I have a technique of identifying another Mason, how does that influence anybody else? The secrets are simply not earth-shattering and have nothing to do with taking over the world.

Sorry for the many questions - I don't mean them to offend or anything. I'm just curious about how Freemasons perceive these questions. Also, any questions about the reasoning behind my questions - please ask me, and I'll respond. No offense taken.
Cheers!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

I'm lost. What are you saying, or asking?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join