It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasons - I have a few questions.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I don't know very much about Freemasonry, other than the little I have read.
From what I have read, Freemasons tend to be helpful people and do a lot of good work for their local communities.
Anyway - I have a few honest questions and would be grateful for your answers.

1. Why did you become a Freemason?
2. Apart from doing good for the community, is there a specific goal of Freemasonry?
3. If Freemasonry reveals any good information to you, which you cannot share with non-masons, why can it not be revealed? If it is good information, surely it would benefit all.
4. Isn't being (somewhat) secretive/holding back information a bit divisive towards the same communities you try to do good for?

Sorry for the many questions - I don't mean them to offend or anything. I'm just curious about how Freemasons perceive these questions. Also, any questions about the reasoning behind my questions - please ask me, and I'll respond.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Heres my opinion from what I have found out:

Lower ranking free-masons usually get together for harmless fraternal activities and such, while the higher degree masons congregate in secrecy for World domination.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretSky
To make myself a better person, a better father & husband, a better friend.

2. Apart from doing good for the community, is there a specific goal of Freemasonry?
"To make good men better."

3. If Freemasonry reveals any good information to you, which you cannot share with non-masons, why can it not be revealed? If it is good information, surely it would benefit all.
No, there are no concepts or teachings taught in Masonry that cannot be revealed to others. Sometimes the exact wording we're told to keep secret, but the lessons themselves are the same as you'd find in most religions and many philosophies.

4. Isn't being (somewhat) secretive/holding back information a bit divisive towards the same communities you try to do good for?
Again, we don't hold back any information. So it's not divisive at all.
edit on 2011.3.30 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
A funny thing, you can name a secret society, but can some one name your society.
What is secret..... one you can name or one you can not.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247
Heres my opinion from what I have found out:

Lower ranking free-masons usually get together for harmless fraternal activities and such, while the higher degree masons congregate in secrecy for World domination.
Of course, you have no actual proof of these mythical "higher degree Masons", can name no names, can list no criteria by which they should be judged "high level" over any other member... So basically "from what you have found out", you haven't found out anything...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
No, there are no concepts or teachings taught in Masonry that cannot be revealed to others. Sometimes the exact wording we're told to keep secret, but the lessons themselves are the same as you'd find in most religions and many philosophies.

Why can the wording not be revealed? What is so special about the wording - if the information itself can be revealed?

And also - thankyou for honestly answering my questions

edit on 30-3-2011 by SecretSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

To learn to subdue my passions
No seriously, I joined out of simple curiousity, Nearly every male in my family was part of the lodge, damn near every deacon in the church, I just wanted to see what all the non-scense was about, I am always glad I did join though. From hearing so much negatives crap about masonry I needed to find out for myself, and I did

To make good men and make them better, To be quite honest, craft masonry has no commitment to the community, we are only obligated to assist fellow masons. But we do, do alot of community service because that would be the right thing to do as a man and mason.
The other houses of masonry usually do most of the service for mankind, Templars, Shriners, MOVPER, Turtles(Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.)

All good informations learned through masonry can be shared with anyone if they simply ask, the only thing we cannot share are the ways to accurately identify another mason with having to use credentials such as membership cards. The only reason we cant tell you that is simply becasue we swore we would not.

4. Isn't being (somewhat) secretive/holding back information a bit divisive towards the same communities you try

There are no secrets in masonry, there is nothing divisive about masonry. People who are not mason only wants there to be secrets, or wish there were secrets. If you are unable to go online learn and do a quick search and cannot find out our so called secrets, I will personally pay you the wages of a Master Mason, and trust me that a lot of loot

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay
A funny thing, you can name a secret society, but can some one name your society.

I'm not sure I understand your question 100%. If you are asking what my society is - well, I'm not a member of any organized group or religion. I'm not very secret really - sorry to dissapoint

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

To learn from respected men that I knew were already Freemasons. To learn some history, culture, and parable that is not taught in schools, and to try and improve myself from their traditions and mentoring.

Making Good Men.......Better.
Mainly, it is a tight knit community where one can benefit from the experience of the others. The degrees(rituals), lectures, and lessons are to help one learn ways to be a better person. In reality, Masons don't do a whole lot of charity work, that is more the Shriners, what we do is serve as strong community members, upstanding citizens, and role models.

The only things that are secret our are modes for recognizing one another. There are no sacred life lessons that we possess that you could not get from any good father, grandfather, church, elder, or other mentor or guide in life. We have a unique way of communicating our lessons, but they are not secrets.

No. It is no different than having a badge to get into your gym, or a secret handshake for a fraternity, or a tattoo for some military group. It is only fodder for those people that would rather speculate and spread rumors instead of doing what you have done and asking direct questions. There is nothing devisive about us.

Sorry for the many questions - I don't mean them to offend or anything. I'm just curious about how Freemasons perceive these questions. Also, any questions about the reasoning behind my questions - please ask me, and I'll respond.

Cheers!

Thanks for asking, I wish more would!
I'm sure another 6 or 7 Masons will eventually drop by your thread and answer more questions for you. My advice is to find a lodge in your town, look at the stated meeting on the door, come back about an hour before that time, and have a good meal with some friendly fellas. They will be glad to answer your questions and share their meal with you, but you won't be able to attend the business part of the meeting until after you have become a Master Mason.

ETA: Wow Masons! You guys type faster than me, but I am glad to see our answers are pretty similar!

edit on 30-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Why can the wording not be revealed? What is so special about the wording - if the information itself can be revealed?
Most likely to keep out impostors. The only "secrets" of Freemasonry are the grips & passwords, and you can find those on the internet or in your local bookstore because they've been "exposed" for almost 300 years.

The reason for keeping them secret, or at least promising to keep them secret, is a morality test... If I have given you my word that I won't reveal this handshake, and I keep my word, then if you tell me something else that you don't want to be public knowledge... that you lost your job, or are having problems with your wife, or whatever else, I will likewise be a man of my word and keep your secret safe.

It's a token of honesty & fidelity more than anything else.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I had my interview with my local lodge's committee a few weeks ago and hope to become a member after the summer break.

I'll try to answer your questions IMO

1. I want to become a Freemason because I have found it difficult to find like minded people with similar goals to myself and have gravitated towards having friends that share the same values and desire for self improvement as myself, these friends have turned out to be Freemasons, so it is logical to me to become a member.

2. For me it will be to become the best person I can be.

3. I have to use an example of Tantric practice in Buddhism, people have divulged all the secrets of Tantra but unfortunately what now passes for Tantra is some watered down version, which focuses on sexual intercourse and totally misses the point. Even the best text descriptions of Tantra do not do the practice justice. Therefore it is sometimes necessary to only share information with those that have the commitment to use that information for the benefit of others. (remember this is my opinion and I am sure I will be corrected).

4. It is people who choose to see it as divisive that make it divisive not the organisation and this happens with all organisations, I have even heard this said about the Red Cross.

I hope my opinion has helped, if not I am sure there will be many brothers along to answer your questions more correctly.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay

I'm not sure I understand your question 100%. If you are asking what my society is - well, I'm not a member of any organized group or religion. I'm not very secret really - sorry to dissapoint

No, he is pointing out that it isn't much of a "secret society" if you know we exist, where we meet (big Sign on Lodge), when we meet (Posted next to front door), and the symbols we identify ourselves by (on our cars, clothes, rings, etc), LOL!

We are not very good at being "secret."

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Because I liked their stated values and the mystery surrounding Freemasonry. And because I saw who their enemies were and concluded there must be a lot of really bright folks there.

Adc

Advancement of knowledge, building of upright character, learning tolerance, learning charity and to learn and improve our relationship to God and to our fellow humans.

Anything that could be revealed has already been revealed thousands of times. That doesnt guarantee that you will take note of or recognize it as something of value.

There are no secrets being held back. But even if there were, sharing information is overrated. Its experience in life that counts, not information.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I have to say, I'm impressed with the replies. Thank you to all the Freemasons replying so fast!

So far, I agree with the strong moral values and goals all of you have. I also appreciate the openness of a perceived 'secret' society. It seems obvious to me now that you all have the worst marketing team in the world

But - I have some more questions!

5. Since Freemasons are willing to share their knowledge, but not the form/wording of it, is there a WIKI type of project which shares the knowledge but not the wording?
6. What is the most valuable/important thing you have learned as a Freemason?

P.S. I believe there is only 1 lodge in the whole country where I live now (Poland). Pretty far from where I live.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamjar
...Therefore it is sometimes necessary to only share information with those that have the commitment to use that information for the benefit of others. (remember this is my opinion and I am sure I will be corrected).
I think it's more accurate to say that you can't force enlightenment on anyone. They have to seek it themselves and have a personal dedication to follow through on the teachings.

People often accuse Masons of hoarding the secrets of life, or saying "if it's just morality lessons, why not give them to everyone?" But in my opinion, if you aren't actively striving to better yourself, intellectually or spiritually, then you'll never take the lessons to heart.

Going through the ritual the way we've done it for hundreds of years is one way to make that journey.

And no Mason will ever tell you it's the only path to enlightenment. Again, the same principles are in most religions & philosophies. This is just one mode of instruction that works for some people. It's not for everyone, but likewise, the end result of the lessons have never been exclusive to Masonry.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

It seems obvious to me now that you all have the worst marketing team in the world

You're right about that one

5. Since Freemasons are willing to share their knowledge, but not the form/wording of it, is there a WIKI type of project which shares the knowledge but not the wording?

I heard there's a masonic Wiki, but Ive never visited it.

Friendship.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Because I liked their stated values and the mystery surrounding Freemasonry. And because I saw who their enemies were and concluded there must be a lot of really bright folks there.

Well - now I am curious. Who are Freemasons enemies?

Also - I agree with you. Second hand information is no match for experience, however, sometimes deriving information would be a case of reinventing the wheel. (Imagine having to discover mathematics by experience, rather than from shared information in books etc...)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Well - now I am curious. Who are Freemasons enemies?

Freemasonry has no declared enemies. But there are self-proclaimed enemies which you can see by scrolling around this Forum a little

Also - I agree with you. Second hand information is no match for experience, however, sometimes deriving information would be a case of reinventing the wheel. (Imagine having to discover mathematics by experience, rather than from shared information in books etc...)

Yes of course.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Thank you for explaining it better.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

No, but there are plenty of books. Strangely enough, Masons are prolific authors...

Striving to lead a balanced life... don't spend so much time at work that my family life suffers; don't spend so much time at school that my work suffers; etc. It's a lesson of the 1st degree as well as the 32nd degree in the Scottish Rite, and it can't be emphasized enough.

P.S. I believe there is only 1 lodge in the whole country where I live now (Poland). Pretty far from where I live.
Check this site for others...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join