It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: IRAQ: Egyptian Diplomat Kidnapped

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Another point of escalation in the Iraq kidnaping saga has put an Egyptian diplomat in harm's way. An insurgent group is claiming to have captured the man and is currently holding him hostage. First reported by Al-Jazerra, this diplomat may have been in Iraq to help clear the path for Egyptian security forces to help the interim government.

Yahoo.com
The diplomat, identified as Mohammed Mamdouh Helmi Quttab, was shown seated in front of six masked kidnappers. They were clad in black hoods and robes, with white headbands. One was holding an assault rifle and another had a pistol on his hip.

The group, which called itself the Lions of Allah Brigade, said it had abducted him because the Egyptian government said it was prepared to deploy security experts to help the interim government in Iraq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When will this escalation result in the alienation of all Iraq's allies? Where does it stop? How does it stop?

Related News Links:
news.com.au
www.kbcitv.com
www.sky.com

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I hope I am right in saying this but I believe it was a mistake to kidnape an Egyptian especially a diplomat. Let's compare this to the Mafia and how families of this organization control the empire. One rule of the Mafia is that you don not kidnap other family members. By doing so you have condemmend yourself and other members of your immediate family to death. I look at the Middle Eastern Nations as one big Mafia family. Iraq during the rein of Saddim Huessain was a family member. Now we see Iraq without a family orginization and all the other families want to take over. The U.S. by its presense stops this takeover. Egypt is extending its hand in friendship and how does Iraq respond? It slaps it hand by kinapping one of its family members, not a wise move.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Let me guess, they too want Egypt to withdraw their troops???

PS (the joke of course, being that they have none there....as in the last group taken...)

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yup, their reaction is:

Egypt's foreign minister Ahmad Abulghait said Friday in an official ?��
?statement that his country ruled out sending any troops to Iraq.?��

I think it was a set up, I think this was pre-planed.

www.kuna.net.kw...

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Iraq's interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi discussed possible Egyptian training of Iraqi forces during a visit to Cairo that ended on Friday.

The kidnapping of a well-protected diplomat as he left a Baghdad mosque marks a new departure for the militants.

Rebekka

[edit on 24-7-2004 by Riwka]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Iraqi Interior Ministry says Gunmen kidnapped Ra'ad Adnan, the head of an Iraqi government-owned construction company Al-Mansour Contracting Co. in Baghdad.

Rebekka

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
This is not a game I would want to play with the Egyptians. Their operators are not as forgiving as ours, and running afoul of them is extremely hazardous to not only the health of the offenders, but their families, friends and distant relations.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I have a strong suspicion that challenging the Egyptians in this way will prove to be a major miscalculation on the part of the "Lions of Allah Brigade".

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Further...
Iraq construction group chief seized in Baghdad
The director of a state-owned Iraqi construction company has been kidnapped in Baghdad on his way to work, an interior ministry spokesman said.

The kidnapping comes as Egypt tries to secure the release of a senior diplomat abducted on Friday, and as the Indian and Kenyan governments try to negotiate the release of six nationals held by insurgents.

"He was kidnapped on his way to work this morning," Sabah Kadhim told AFP, naming the captive as Raad Adnan, head of the Al-Mansour Contracting Co.
www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Iraq's Prime Minster Iyad Allawi urged Egypt on Saturday not to give in to kidnappers who have taken an Egyptian diplomat hostage in Baghdad.

"The only way to deal with terrorists is to bring them to justice and to close ranks and we hope that Egypt and the Egyptian government would act accordingly," Allawi told a news conference in the Syrian capital.

Reuters: Iraq Tells Egypt Not to Give in to Kidnappers

Rebekka

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
UPDATE:::

news just reporting that he has been freed and taken to an Airport.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
AN Egyptian diplomat issued thanks for his freedom after being released by kidnappers in Iraq today.

Mohammed Mamdouh Helmi Qutb, the third highest ranking diplomat at the Egyptian mission in Baghdad, spoke to reporters by phone this morning.
news.com.au...

Mr Qutb reportedly told the Reuters news agency: "No deals were made."

I bet he did,

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I can bet that the details of what exactly led the "Lions" to change their minds would make for some interesting reading.

Chalk up another victory to Egyptian "diplomacy".

top topics

join