It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

URGENT plant operator says radioactivity in water at reactor No. 2 10 million times usual level

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

#Japan plant operator confirms high radiation, evacuates workers from reactor's turbine building

If they are leaving, that can't be good...

Second.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
here is another source
news.smh.com.au...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Actually the article from the AP raises as many questions as it answers, makes me wonder if they are trying to confuse the issue once again

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
2 MILLION?.. No.

BREAKING NEWS CNN: Official: Radioactive iodine levels spike to 1,850 times higher than normal in seawater near the Japanese nuclear plant.

www.cnn.com

now.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

FROM NHK

Extreme radiation detected at No.2 reactor

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it has detected radioactive materials 10-million-times normal levels in water at the No.2 reactor complex of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

The plant operator, known as TEPCO, says it measured 2.9-billion becquerels of radiation per one cubic centimeter of water from the basement of the turbine building attached to the Number 2 reactor.

The level of contamination is about 1,000 times that of the leaked water already found in the basements of the Number 1 and 3 reactor turbine buildings.

The company says the latest reading is 10-million times the usual radioactivity of water circulating within a normally operating reactor.
TEPCO says the radioactive materials include 2.9-billion becquerels of iodine-134, 13-million becquerels of iodine-131, and 2.3-million becquerels each for cesium 134 and 137.

These substances are emitted during nuclear fission inside a reactor core.

The company says the extremely contaminated water may stem from a damaged reactor core, and are trying to determine how the leakage occurred.

University of Tokyo graduate school professor Naoto Sekimura says the leak may come from the suppression chamber of the Number 2 reactor, which is known to be damaged. The chamber is designed to contain overflows of radioactive substances from the reactor.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 13:44 +0900 (JST)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
china just reported radiation but its minor. that can't still be good though...

china radiation

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
2 MILLION?.. No.

BREAKING NEWS CNN: Official: Radioactive iodine levels spike to 1,850 times higher than normal in seawater near the Japanese nuclear plant.

www.cnn.com

now.

I saw that story too, but there are like six other good sources now with the 10 million figure. I don't know what's going on with CNN.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Those reactors sit right on the Pacific Ocean.. kind of like a nuclear seaworld not good!!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

They are just trying to make it sound like everything is ok but really it just got 10 million times worse!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
From what I am reading I find that:

1. The contaminated water is 10 million times higher than the amount of contamination found normally within the reactor core.

2. The contaminated water is leaking out of the reactor core.

3. The water (according to the types of radiation found in sea water) is leaking from the reactor core directly into the ocean. (This is not actually stated in any report, I only think that when you eliminate all other possibilities, this is what you are left with and according to Mr. Spock and Mr. Holms it must be true.)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
well the crux of the issue here is that Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), the plant's operator, said. "Radiation at a hobbled nuclear plant in Japan was 10 million times more than normal" It doesn't matter where it is. anytime something is 10 million times higher than normal that is FUBAR. This is quoted from the Aljazeera website.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This is happening again!

en.wikipedia.org...

All of you wondering how bad it is should keep following the news from now on, it'll be a very tragic event we will never forget..

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by littleweedmen
10 million times?!?! wow! how bad is that exactly?

10 million times badder

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
On www3.nhk.or.jp... they said the suppression chamber is compromised in reactor #2 . Every day it seems worst! As for leaks they really don't seem to have a clue!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
What I find really troubling is that there is not a single national leader in any country that I've seen who will truly address what is going on. Instead they give very brief reassurances and platitudes and dare not speak in detail of the science involved or of worse case scenarios. I also believe that the 10 or 15 people who monitor readings at sites like Radiation Network and the BlackCat one could have been easily bought off or replaced and replicated by any number of interests and industries. In other words I don't trust anyone and I don't feel safe out West.

We have seen how our govt. has dealt with national disasters in the USA and all they do is lie, lie, lie to protect corporate profits. If there was extremely dangerous amount of radiation coming from a solar flare or some other cosmic anomaly and threat do you think they'd advise farmers to stay out of the fields for a couple of days for their own safety? He// no! Corporate and agri-business would not stand for a single day of lost productivity. I want to stay calm but where is the leadership? Where is the truth? Truth that threatens corporate profits just won't see the light of day.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
There has to be a nuclear engineer on this site that can add some clarification.

It seems now that this is worse than Chernobyl. The only thing we're missing is the initial explosions which were many times worse but overall....this is way worse.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

2 MILLION?.. No.

www.cnn.com

now.

Yes that was old....

Tis is much newer...
10 Million Times Normal Level Of Radioactivity Found In Water At No. 2 Reactor At Fukushima Plant-Japan Officials

Actually... I think these are two different stories here... Ones a measurement in the sea, another in the reactor...

edit on 27-3-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

2 MILLION?.. No.

www.cnn.com

now.

You might want to check CNN again now.

I've never been so miserable to be right in my life.
edit on 27-3-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
JUST GOT WORSE BREAKING NEWS!!! TEPCO believes reactors No. 1, 2, and 3 are breached and leaking radioactive liquid

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join