It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

URGENT plant operator says radioactivity in water at reactor No. 2 10 million times usual level

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by mobocracy

Radiation is radiation though, it doesn't matter what it is, 50 sV/h is just that...

Pred...

I respectfully disagree. In addition, the readings I posted were from Thursday, which means they have likely increased, and are much higher than you claim.

link   
Maybe the reason the power is back on is because the place is glowing.

In 2 weeks we might find out what the situation really was 1o days from now.

This whole thing has shown me a lot. I usually want to blame the media for failing to report or diverting the public's attention, you know? Some of that did happen, it was like - to me- the coverage heated up but technical facts were pouring out- and was looking bad but oh a glimmer of hope- THESE reactors were built then boom- a bone with some meat was thrown over at Libya and everyone looked that way.

Hard topic, fickle public, controlled media. A lot to learn.

link   
reply to post by XPLodER

- Crap!
edit on 27-3-2011 by quantum_flux because: .

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I've heard a couple of different Nuclear engineers/physicists on Alex Jones show who say that it is very unlikely for a Chernobyl like explosion more likely however that it one or more reactors melt down creating a Dirty Bomb-to me that's bad enough! While we are blowing billions in Libya fighting with Al-Qaeda backed rebels to oust a dictator who we just a few years ago said had reformed while Japan melts down is Beyond the Pale! Oh but I forgot we need to reduce the Earth's surplus population so maybe this is a good thing right?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by fnord
reply to post by quantum_flux

it is physically impossible for the plant to cause a nuclear explosion

That's what I'd always thought, but then again you'd also think it's physically impossible to be off by a factor of ten million as well.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Just checking Kyodo news (english)-english.kyodonews.jp...
Work to restore power, inject fresh coolant into nuke plant continues

TOKYO, March 27, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Co. continued efforts Sunday to restore power and enhance cooling efficiency at the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant as it prepared to turn on the lights in the control room for the plant's No. 4 reactor and inject fresh water into four reactors.

The utility, known as TEPCO, will inject fresh water into pools storing the spent nuclear fuel at the plant's No. 1, 2, 3 and 4 reactors to prevent crystallized salt from seawater already injected from hampering the smooth circulation of water and thus diminishing the cooling effect.

The company continued with the work to remove a pool of water containing highly concentrated radioactive substances that was detected in the turbine buildings of the No. 1 reactor at the plant in Fukushima Prefecture, around 220 kilometers northeast of Tokyo.

Similar pools of water that may have seeped from either the reactor cores or the spent fuel pools were also detected in the turbine buildings of the No. 2, 3 and 4 reactors. TEPCO will remove the water in all four reactor units.

The company will also try to inject fresh water into No. 1, 2, and 3 reactors using electrical pumps instead of fire pumps currently used as soon as the power supply for the pumps is restored at the reactors.

Electrical pumps enable workers to spend less time and energy operating the machines at the site, thus reducing the risk of exposure to radioactivity. The fire pumps require workers to supply fuel at the site of operation.

Following the March 11 megaquake and tsunami, cooling functions failed at the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 reactors and their reactor cores partially melted at the plant on the Pacific coast, prompting seawater to be pumped in to prevent the fuel from being exposed.

==Kyodo

So you see we are all Wrong-Everything is Under control-go to SLEEP!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gregarious
reply to post by bekod

Oh, come on. They position the lines and secure, then get out. Then the reading goes up? They don't need to be in there until after it has cooled. And it is really good that they managed to get fresh water and not corrosive salt water they were using. The power can be supplied by a mobil generator, and no big deal. Once the power lines are run, it can be at a safe distance, or enclosure. They are doing a good job. Relax!

Ok. Fine. Lets say it rose AFTER cooling was reintroduced.

WHY? Isnt it being cooled? I smell a meltdown that got too far.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux
reply to post by XPLodER

- Crap!
edit on 27-3-2011 by quantum_flux because: .

the two seperate facts that they failed to connect
radioactive water direct from the reactor is "hot" with particles from the core center
the water in the steam turbine room is also hot in one of the other reactors
at this point there can be no "containment" as water is required to "cool" the rods continously
so the water is not under pressure

water and any liquid under pressure boils at a higher temperature
so if there are pressure leaks at the pressure vessel
the water would be boiling off and unable to convect heat
at anywhere near the required rates to keep the water liquid
steam does not cool very well at all

this is about as bad as chernobl
and there are at least four leaking vessels containing about 10 times the material
the mox fuel in these conditions quickly change forms and composition and will be ejected as minute
particles with the water

this is a sign the reactors are
ALOT WORSE than we realize

even with perfect cooling pumps liquid and luck
without pressure this is a "run away" melt down

god help us all we will accept your help if offered

xploder

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Pressure Coefficient Figure 3 Effect of Fuel Temperature on Resonance Absorption Peaks The reactivity in a reactor core can be affected by the system pressure. The pressure coefficient of reactivity is defined as the change in reactivity per unit change in pressure. The pressure coefficient of reactivity for the reactor is the result of the effect of pressure on the density of the moderator. For this reason, it is sometimes referred to as the moderator density reactivity coefficient. As pressure increases, density correspondingly increases, which increases the moderator-to-fuel ratio in the core. In the typical under moderated core the increase in the moderator-to-fuel ratio will result in a positive reactivity addition. In reactors that use water as a moderator, the absolute value of the pressure reactivity coefficient is seldom a major factor because it is very small compared to the moderator temperature coefficient of reactivity.

source HERE

the problem is really bad and without pressure it only can get worse
xploder

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

its official TSHF they are handing out iodine pills to all government officials and us citizens in japan at the embassies. They know its coming 35 million people in tokyo are going to be evacuated it will be CHAOS!. THEY MIGHT HAVE TO EVACUATE JAPAN!

Once the radiation gets too high they won't be able to stop the runaway meltdowns and it will be a chain reaction of all the plants melting down.

Talk about the biggest bio weapon in human history..

edit on 27-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Well yeah! They just started dumping in sea water when the pumps failed. What are they changing it or somthing? Why is this news? The reactors are stable or they would have already pulled a chernoble on em and sealed em up!

Relax and take a deap breath! The world is not ending in fact none will likely die from this! You really have to take what you see on the news with a grain of salt friend!
edit on 27-3-2011 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

the thing now is if they try to hide the truth more people will be radiated
at this point im am sure its when not if

xploder

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fnord
reply to post by quantum_flux

it is physically impossible for the plant to cause a nuclear explosion

I watched a documentary on Chernobyl the other day (think it was called "In the Shadow of Chernobyl") - it was really interesting and a bit of an eye opener to me. One of the people appearing in the documentary was from Soviet leader Gorbachov. He said that there was a real risk of a nuclear explosion during the emergency because the fuel was melting through the floor of the reactor and there was pools of water underneath that could trigger the fuel to explode if enough of it got in there. Apparently they calculated that if all the fuel exploded, there would be total destruction in a 300km radius, and Europe would become uninhabitable for god knows how long.

I didn't realise there was a risk of this kind of thing during the Chernobyl accident.

I am not saying there is a risk here, but I would be interested to hear why an explosion is impossible in this case. My knowledge on these things is purely amateur, and it would be good to know the facts. I have family living about 100km north of the site...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
ok, I wrote a big rant, and after re reading it I figured it wasn't justified lol. edit is a good thing :-)
edit on 27-3-2011 by latitude39 because: ok, this was a rant, and after re reading it I figured it wasn't justified lol.

edit on 27-3-2011 by latitude39 because: fixed

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by littleweedmen

Count to 10 Million.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by OccultScience

Thats high, but not for water dumped directly on the core. The only reason they are dealing with it is to change to fresh water. Its gonna be alright!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jewston

Why would you think it would be mentioned? It would cause a huge panic. If there is nothing they can do about it they will say nothing. Just like all goverments. Thats the SOP. Hopefully they are evacuating everone they can who is in the danger zone

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Has anyone who knows about nukes looked at the existing conditions and plotted out a timeline of possible future events. I mean we should be able to tell what will happen down the road. Maybe give a best case worst case scenario?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
'In the Shadow of Chernobyl' is an outstanding documentary, well worth a look right now. Nat Geo also replayed one on Three MIle Island.

One of the big take home messages from both is that you can't trust anyone to tell the truth about radiation. The Russians lied to the Russians, and the Europeans lied to the Europeans. France to this day denies that any radioactive fallout fell on French soil! Hans Blix downplayed the event once it was known that fallout was headed towards Europe.

The official death toll for Chernobyl was around 35, yet of the 500,000 involved with the cleanup 200,000 were dead at the time the docu was made, and 200,00 had serious health problems! Never acknowledged as due to the accident!

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
reply to post by XPLodER

its official TSHF they are handing out iodine pills to all government officials and us citizens in japan at the embassies......

Do you have a source for this?
edit on 27-3-2011 by HorizonMan because: clairification

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatboyinternational
REUTERSFLASH
#Japan plant operator confirms high radiation, evacuates workers from reactor's turbine building
half a minute ago via we

via we? as in whatever? as in, we're supposed to just believe every tweet we hear, from every random "we?" Or do you have a source?

If not, try to refrain from posting nonsense. I'm pretty sure the plant's Op has better things to focus on. Twitter not being one of them.

Cheers,
Strype
edit on 27-3-2011 by Strype because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join