It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

URGENT plant operator says radioactivity in water at reactor No. 2 10 million times usual level

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
As long as they can keep the water contained it remains a local problem but the rising sea water radiation levels makes me think that's not the case,

twitter.com...#
edit on 27-3-2011 by Bronco51082 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I would think this would get bigger mention everywhere, I wonder how many realize this is bad, really really bad?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jewston

It just came out about 15 min. ago

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
10 million times?!?! wow! how bad is that exactly?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
am i the only one or does this seem odd, www.bloomberg.com...

The company pumped fresh water into No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 reactors, Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said. The external power supply has been restored for all six reactors as of March 22, according to Tokyo Electric Power.
there is more but i was going to make a thread but this seemed like a good place, and as far as the OP, i do not trust one word they are saying.
For how can the power be up when they pulled the workers out?? and be able to work in that high of a RAD?? like working in a microwave oven

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Who actually stated it? I don't get the twitter thing . Is there another source?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
REUTERS updated it on thier twitter account I am looking for more sources now

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
REUTERSFLASH
#Japan plant operator confirms high radiation, evacuates workers from reactor's turbine building
half a minute ago via we

#Japan plant operator says radioactivity in water at reactor No. 2 10 million times usual level, workers evacuated - local media
8 minutes ago via web

I Just copied this from the twitter page that was referred to in the post

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Oh, come on. They position the lines and secure, then get out. Then the reading goes up? They don't need to be in there until after it has cooled. And it is really good that they managed to get fresh water and not corrosive salt water they were using. The power can be supplied by a mobil generator, and no big deal. Once the power lines are run, it can be at a safe distance, or enclosure. They are doing a good job. Relax!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Does anyone else realize that they said INSIDE the reactor? Obviously its going to be 10 million times higher.... its coming in direct contact with the radioactive material. The press is giving us all the right lines to read between to get the bigger picture i.e Measuring the water's radioactivity IN the reactor? Seems to me the containment vessel would have to be compromised/damaged for them to be able to do that...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Bronco51082

I saw this almost an hour ago on the kyodo news and thought it might be a misprint. so, I tried to find info but no evac of workers at that point. still can't find anything to confirm it officially though..

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CoincidenceX

It's being reported here in Australia
second line

www.couriermail.com.au...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
am i the only one or does this seem odd, www.bloomberg.com...

The company pumped fresh water into No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 reactors, Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said. The external power supply has been restored for all six reactors as of March 22, according to Tokyo Electric Power.
there is more but i was going to make a thread but this seemed like a good place, and as far as the OP, i do not trust one word they are saying.
For how can the power be up when they pulled the workers out?? and be able to work in that high of a RAD?? like working in a microwave oven

It's weasel wording is all. If you look closely, they don't say the power is on. They say the "supply" has been "restored". In other words, they have an extension cord hooked up. More in-depth articles make this more explicit. I think they did have power going somewhere at some point but definitely not to all the reactors. They just have what they need to do so if they could do so, which they can't because all this is just stalling while the inevitable barrels down on us all.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsOz2011
reply to post by CoincidenceX

It's being reported here in Australia
second line

www.couriermail.com.au...

EXTREMELY high levels of radiation have been detected in water leaking from reactor two of the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant, forcing the evacuation of workers, its operator says.

A spokesman for Tokyo Electric Power said the level of radiation found in the leaked water was 10 million times higher than it should be for water inside the reactor, indicating damage to the fuel rods.

"We detected 1000 millisieverts per hour of radiation in a puddle of water at the reactor number two. This figure is 10 million times higher than water usually kept in a reactor," the spokesman said.

"We are examining the cause of this, but no work is being done there because of the high level of radiation.

"High levels of caesium and other substances are being detected, which usually should not be found in reactor water. There is a high possibility that fuel rods are being damaged."

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Update: Plant and Ocean Higher Levels of Radiation
03/27/2011

TOKYO (majirox news) – High levels of radioactive materials, 10 million times the normal level, were detected in the water of the turbine building next to reactor No. 2. It is possible that levels in the turbine building connected to reactor No. 1 has similar levels.

www.majiroxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm interested. I'm not sure how all of this is going to turn out but...I'm watching. Hopefully others are too. This could have adverse effects on the Earth...or it could be media overblowing an issue. I'm on ATS so guess which one I'm inclined to believe before more reports reach the public.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Breaking news wire has not reached main stream news yet

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

hey, I am searching on #2 is this the bad MOX fuel crap or the pluto and uranium? old info right at time of explosion was saying 33% damage. So this means really bad as they were really wrong? #1 at time of first explosion was 70% which means it was supposed to be worse. tired and confused. I hope if the wind shifts over Tokyo that this does not mean that now this is the nightmare they were hoping would not happen..

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
found this on the ap

hosted.ap.org...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
And of course, Reuters link

www.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - Japanese authorities evacuated workers on Sunday from a reactor building they were working in after high doses of radiation were detected at a crippled nuclear power plant, the plant's operator said. Tokyo Electric Power Co said radiation 10 million times the usual level was detected in water that had accumulated at the No. 2 reactor's turbine housing unit. A Tokyo Electric official said workers left the No. 2 reactor's turbine housing unit to prevent exposure to radiation.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join