It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those who know a thing or two about hockey

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The puck clearly changes direction BEHIND the goalie and from what I can discern, it is probably on end (although it is very blurry). If you watch hockey on a regular basis as I do, you would know that each goalie "prepares" the crease in his own way before the game, by grating his skates over the surface from side to side; it's called "roughing up" the ice. Those grooves are purposely put there in hopes of the redirection you just saw. I hope this clears things up for you all.

Keep yer stix on da Hice, byes!!

edit on 25-3-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: just cuz

edit on 25-3-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: GRRRRR

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
After watching the clip another 20 or so times, I don't think the puck made contact with the right pad.

Iginla's blast was between 3-4 feet off the ice when it comes in contact with Jonathan Quick's right arm or blocker or a combination of both then hits his stick.

I think the puck actually went over the top of his arm and hits the top part under his blocker then hits the stick.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

A look at your location says it all. California...nuff said
2nd

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
You just suckered every Canadian ATS member into viewing this thread.

Funniest part is?... I am WEARING my Jerome Iginla jersey right now! haha. Honest!

Yes I do live in Calgary and am aware despite there gain of 52 points out of a possible 65 the last 3 months, we may not make the play offs [again].

I'm a die hard Leafs fan. I feel your pain.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

You just suckered every Canadian ATS member into viewing this thread.

Funniest part is?... I am WEARING my Jerome Iginla jersey right now! haha. Honest!

Yes I do live in Calgary and am aware despite there gain of 52 points out of a possible 65 the last 3 months, we may not make the play offs [again].

But the Sabres will! eat it. On a more serious note, I have never seen that shot before, incredibly strange. I like Canada though, planning on the long visit up there when the SHTF

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Dude, Im an LA Kings fan. I know your pain. HAHAHA!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerramjett

Take off ehh.
We have a minor league team here.

Some fish team or somethin.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

For those who know a thing or two about hockey, you know it takes a bit of effort to change the direction of a hockey puck. A puck is a solid 3 inch diameter by 1 inch wide disc of vulcanized rubber that weighs over a third of a pound (5.5-6 oz). For such an object to make a thirty degree change solely from contact with the ice is all but impossible. All I could think of is that it perfectly hit a groove in the ice while bouncing on edge, except there doesn't seem to be any inconsistency in the ice large enough to cause such a reaction. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting video.

You need to spend more time on the ice and/or in the nets.

That's a fundamental kick save. Unfortunately the friggin camera cuts off his right skate and the puck most likely bouncing off the skate blade as a result of the save.

I am a defenseman and we are the first line of defense of shots on goal. We often times stop or deflect low shots using our skate's blade. It does suck. Especially when you take a shot in the ankle area.

The puck travels based upon it's trajectory and stored energy off of any fixed object it contacts.

Cant tell you how many times we stop shots with our skate blades or with our stick and pop the puck up and out over the glass into the crowd area due to the angle of the stick.

If no players were in the area. I would be slightly inclined to see this as remotely being paranormal.

I am the first one to believe in that kind of stuff.

It all has to do with stored energy called Kinetic energy and the subsequent angles of deflection.

I think the OP needs more experience on the ice or better yet in the nets trying to stop a few well placed shots !

edit on 26-3-2011 by nh_ee because: Include OP's original posting in the form of a quotation

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

A kick save? Am I saying that right? Could you please explain as I've never heard such strange sounds before.

You need to spend a bit more time reading a thread to gain knowledge on what has been discussed. After observing all the camera angles, you'll notice the puck goes over the leg and is then deflected down by the goalies stick. I don't have to talk about what "most likely" happened as I can see what actually happened. After deflecting off the stick, it hits the ice and makes a roughly 30 degree change in direction. That seems a bit strange to me, and it should to you too since you are so well versed in all things hockey.

"If no players were in the area. I would be slightly inclined to see this as remotely being paranormal."

From the overhead cam, you can clearly see that there is no player in contact with the puck when it makes the sudden change direction. This was my point. A puck is heavy, it has a bit of momentum. Ice alone would not be sufficient to create a change in direction like this one as it lacks in friction. Obviously a puck can deflect off a stick, or a skate, or an ankle for a major change in direction, as it does at first, but off of a slick icy surface? I don't think so. I suggest you read some of the earlier posts to learn a thing or two about the existing analysis and plausible explanations for this video. Contributing factors: rough/grooved ice as is common on the crease, ice buildup as is common in the crease, a knuckling puck due to the deflection off the goalies stick. Non-contributing factors: any human presence at the time of the "mysterious deflection", not the "obvious deflection".

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join