It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Cell Towers Cease Functioning

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Lets face it, there will be a time when cell phone towers, internet and even satellite communications will cease to operate. Whether it be from a solar flare, massive power grid outages or some other disaster. Millions of people have become addicted to cell phones and the like. Most of these people will stop dead in their tracks, confused, not knowing how to make contact with other people. Many in major cities, will actually panic at the idea of no more Ipad, Iphone, Blackberry, Email, Google and so on. The modern civilized world, for the most part, has become totally detached from even the simplest form of communication since the pre-digital era.

Theres a little "secret" known by many rural people nationwide and even internationally, that will allow long range communications, even in power outages, and even in the most extreme disaster scenarios. Actually, theres two "secrets". Many years ago, the most popular form of long range communications, was the CB radio and HAM (amateur) Radios. Users learned how to circumvent FCC regulations in the CB band (27Mhz), to increase total range of "talk power". Many still use the CB radio all around the world. And in the US, it requires no license to operate. HAM radios, do however, require a license to transmit. However, most HAM radios require a tower system for long ranges. So, the only real option left for reliable long range communications in a world where cell phones and tower systems cease to exist, is the CB radio. These will operate on any 12 volt DC power source. And require no external tower/repeater systems to operate.

This is something to consider as part of survival in a "darker" world, for emergency communications. The only disaster that would disable the CB radio, is a massive CME from the sun. But in that case, there won't be any one left to "DX" with any way.

Food for thought.
edit on 3/24/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Many would consider the CB radio as a "redneck" or "hillbilly" device. But when a disater strikes that takes down all of our modern, digital communications devices, won't we all turn in to "rednecks" again any way?

I myself, have a CB in my vehicle. A Galaxy DX959, opened up with all the extra frequencies (known as widebanding). It also has SSB (Single Side Band). I use a 102" stainless steel whip for an antenna. My SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) in my antenna, is 0.5. So, when that day comes, as long as my vehicles battery is functional, I WILL be able to communicate, somewhere.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Thought the same 6 months ago. Set up a SHTF cb in the 4WD just in case.
www.cbradiomagazine.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
www.cobra.com...

These require a 5 year FCC license for $85.00 smackaroonies to use repeaters, but the family frequencies work "line of sight"
edit on 24-3-2011 by Analyze76 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
just for those folks who aren't to clear on these things, you cannot use a UHF 'cb' radio as these require what are called 'repeater stations' to help carry the signal great distances :-)

it needs to be an "AM" cb or an "AM / SSB" cb radio

link   
reply to post by Analyze76

CB Radio is able to talk ranges of 10 miles to 1,000 miles, depending on the charge level of the troposphere. Family style radios are under powered and only for short ranges. If theres a row of trees between each person, the signal is decreased dramatically.

link   

UHF radio is the same over shorter distances seeing as it needs repeaters to communicate, but you can still use it to talk reasonably well if you have a decent antenna - the 12db I used to have was quite good...

the payoff is, there are a lot less idiots on UHF as opposed to citizens band.. I remember CB chatter was constant and relentless...

But still, good thread - something to consider!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

CB Radio is able to talk ranges of 10 miles to 1,000 miles, depending on the charge level of the troposphere. Family style radios are under powered and only for short ranges. If theres a row of trees between each person, the signal is decreased dramatically.

Repeaters.......................

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Many would consider the CB radio as a "redneck" or "hillbilly" device. But when a disater strikes that takes down all of our modern, digital communications devices, won't we all turn in to "rednecks" again any way?

I myself, have a CB in my vehicle. A Galaxy DX959, opened up with all the extra frequencies (known as widebanding). It also has SSB (Single Side Band). I use a 102" stainless steel whip for an antenna. My SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) in my antenna, is 0.5. So, when that day comes, as long as my vehicles battery is functional, I WILL be able to communicate, somewhere.

You can buy relatively cheap car battery solar charges that can allow if to charge over a day.

Something I've been interested in for a while, but as usual too busy procrastinating..

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by gaia.chi.au
just for those folks who aren't to clear on these things, you cannot use a UHF 'cb' radio as these require what are called 'repeater stations' to help carry the signal great distances :-)

Unless you happen to have and older RCI (Ranger) 2950 or 2970 that has FM capability too.

They don't make CB Radios that are UHF, they never have and never will. CB has operated on the 27Mhz band since the 1950's.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Analyze76

Repeaters.......................

CB does not use repeaters. They never have. Neither do every day Family Radios (FRS Band). You may be thinking of the Commercial Radio Band, which requires licensing, and does have repeater capability. But, if all tower systems go down, any radio requiring repeaters, will only work locally.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

www.cobra.com...

These require a 5 year FCC license for $85.00 smackaroonies to use repeaters, but the family frequencies work "line of sight"

Interesting, UHF in Australia has been free of charge for near 20 years...

Unless I checked the wrong radio's specs

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

www.cobra.com...

Interesting, UHF in Australia has been free of charge for near 20 years...

Unless I checked the wrong radio's specs

General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

www.fcc.gov...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

That be it, GMRS, also called the Commercial Radio Service in the US. In the US, this band does have repeater capability. But, would be useless in a "no-tower" world.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by gaia.chi.au

You can use UHF simplex - it all depends on line of sight and signal power, whether you are using a hand held or a base station with a power output and a decent antenna. Weather also plays a part.

Obviously CB is the better alternative if you're going to kit up, but if you have a UHF rig, you can still expect a range depending on the above factors, from anywhere between 5 miles for mobiles to 50+ miles for a decent base station.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Every thread I post in I get hostile replies that I'm wrong.

Trying to give someone good information and my radio sux.......cb is the only way to go. The licensing keeps most people using proper radio etiquette.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
For those interested in reading some tricks and tweaks for "jacking up" a CB, this site has excellent information, schematics and diagrams.

www.cbtricks.com

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Trying to give someone good information and my radio sux.......cb is the only way to go. The licensing keeps most people using proper radio etiquette.

There is no licensing required for CB use in the US. The FCC dropped that requirement in the early 1980's. No intentions of hostility, only trying help with the right information. When a new CB is bought inside the US, you do get a little booklet with the FCC Rules for Class D (CB) band operation. But most don't follow those rules, lol.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I get almost 50 mile radius with one repeater on a family members house 15.5 miles away.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

There is no licensing required for CB use in the US. The FCC dropped that requirement in the early 1980's. No intentions of hostility, only trying help with the right information.

The license is for GMRS radio. You use a duel family GMRS radio
edit on 24-3-2011 by Analyze76 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join