It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God's Wife, Asherah, May Have Been Edited Out Of The Bible Says Theologian

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

God's Wife, Asherah, May Have Been Edited Out Of The Bible Says Theologian

www.huffingtonpost.com

Early versions of the Bible apparently featured a fertility godess, Asherah, who may have been God's wife, at least according to one British theologian

Back in 1967, historian Raphael Patai mentioned ancient Israelites worshiped both Yahweh and Asherah

the Bible's editors may very well have wiped her almost clean from the document

Also significant, Stavrakopoulou believes, "is the Bible's admission that the goddess Asherah was worshiped in Yahweh's Temple in Jerusalem. In the Book of Ki
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Interesting isn't it?

Most religions stem from the same source, one of the oldest religions but still widely practiced is Hinduism.
Hinduism has MataJi, a Goddess and there were many MataJis but they were all reincarnation of a parent MataJi.

Hinduism, a monotheistic(Yes Monotheistic) religion also had a woman as a goddess and in India Mata is given tremendous respect.
That's why if you go to India and you hit a woman in public scores of Indians will jump you!

I do not believe in any organized religion though, but this smells conspiracy all over it.
Why did they edit her out?

Some women were witches, at one point women couldn't vote and now Women are known merely as sex objects.

What's going on here?
What exactly is happening here?

Enter Today:

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
English standard version Bible

5.Judges 6:30 (Whole Chapter)
Then the men of the town said to Joash, "Bring out your son, that he may die, for he has broken down the altar of Baal and cut down the Asherah beside it."

6.1 Kings 15:13 (Whole Chapter)
[For 1 Kings 15:13-15, 2 Chr 15:16-18 ] He also removed Maacah his mother from being queen mother because she had made an abominable image for Asherah. And Asa cut down her image and [Exodus 32:20] burned it at the brook Kidron

It was a Baal deity. You can find many references to it.

It was always ordered to be torn down, not to intermingle etc with other worship than God in the old testament.

So this sounds like blatant blasphemy to rile up bible believers.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

Have you ever read the Bible?
I say no you haven't!

The Vatican themselves admitted that the Bible went through many edits, Decades Worth of edits before being released to the public.

Isn't that the real blasphemy?
Never allowing you to read the original bible?

Doesn't alpha and omega curse those who chose to change the message of the book?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
here are more refrences, read them yourself,

1.Deuteronomy 16:21 (Whole Chapter)
[ Forbidden Forms of Worship ] "You shall not plant any tree as [Exodus 34:13; Judg 6:25; 1 Kgs 14:15; 16:33; 2 Kgs 13:6; 17:16; 2 Chr 33:3] an Asherah beside the altar of the LORD your God that you shall make.

2.Judges 6:25 (Whole Chapter)
That night the LORD said to him, "Take your father’s bull, and the second bull seven years old, and pull down the altar of Baal that your father has, and cut down [Judges 3:7] the Asherah that is beside it

3.Judges 6:26 (Whole Chapter)
and build an altar to the LORD your God on the top of the [Dan 11:7, 10, 31 (Heb)] stronghold here, with stones laid in due order. Then take the second bull and offer it as a burnt offering with the wood of the Asherah that you shall cut down."

4.Judges 6:28 (Whole Chapter)
[ Gideon Destroys the Altar of Baal ] When the men of the town rose early in the morning, behold, the altar of Baal was broken down, and the Asherah beside it was cut down, and the second bull was offered on the altar that had been built.

Then the men of the town said to Joash, "Bring out your son, that he may die, for he has broken down the altar of Baal and cut down the Asherah beside it."

[For 1 Kings 15:13-15, 2 Chr 15:16-18 ] He also removed Maacah his mother from being queen mother because she had made an abominable image for Asherah. And Asa cut down her image and [Exodus 32:20] burned it at the brook Kidron.

7.1 Kings 16:33 (Whole Chapter)
And Ahab made an [1 Kings 18:19; 2 Kgs 13:6; 17:10; 21:3; 2 Chr 14:3; Exodus 34:13; Jer 17:2 ] Asherah. Ahab did more to provoke the LORD, the God of Israel, to anger [ 1 Kings 16:30 ] than all the kings of Israel who were before him.

8.1 Kings 18:19 (Whole Chapter)
Now therefore send and gather all Israel to me at Mount [ Josh 19:26 ] Carmel, and the [1 Kings 18:22 ] 450 prophets of Baal and [ 1 Kings 16:33 ] the 400 prophets of Asherah, [2 Kgs 3:13] who eat at Jezebel’s table."

9.2 Kings 13:6 (Whole Chapter)
Nevertheless, they did not depart from the sins of the house of Jeroboam, [ 2 Kings 13:2 ] which he made Israel to sin, but walked [Septuagint, Syriac, Targum, Vulgate; Hebrew he walked] in them; and [1 Kgs 16:33] the Asherah also remained in Samaria.)

10.2 Kings 17:16 (Whole Chapter)
And they abandoned all the commandments of the LORD their God, and made for themselves metal images of [ 1 Kgs 12:28 ] two calves; and they [1 Kgs 14:15, 23; 15:13; 16:33 ] made an Asherah and [2 Kings 21:3; 23:5; Deut 4:19 ] worshiped all the host of heaven and served [2 Kings 11:18; 1 Kgs 16:31; 22:53] Baal.

11.2 Kings 18:4 (Whole Chapter)
[2 Kings 18:22; 2 Chr 31:1 ] He removed the high places and broke the [2 Kings 17:10; Exodus 23:24 ] pillars and cut down [2 Kings 17:16; Deut 16:21 ] the Asherah. And he broke in pieces [Num 21:8, 9] the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until those days the people of Israel had made offerings to it (it was called Nehushtan). [Nehushtan sounds like the Hebrew for both bronze and serpent]

12.2 Kings 21:3 (Whole Chapter)
For he rebuilt the high places [2 Kings 18:4 ] that Hezekiah his father had destroyed, and he erected altars for Baal and made [ Deut 16:21 ] an Asherah, [1 Kgs 16:32, 33 ] as Ahab king of Israel had done, [2 Kings 17:16; 23:5; Deut 4:19] and worshiped all the host of heaven and served them.

13.2 Kings 21:7 (Whole Chapter)
And the carved image of [ 2 Kings 21:3 ] Asherah that he had made he set in the house of which the LORD said to David and to Solomon his son, "In this house, [ 2 Kings 21:4 ] and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, I will put my name forever.

14.2 Kings 23:4 (Whole Chapter)
And the king commanded Hilkiah the high priest and the priests [2 Kings 25:18; Jer 52:24 ] of the second order and the keepers of the threshold to bring out of the temple of the LORD all the vessels made for [2 Kings 21:3 ] Baal, for [ Deut 16:21 ] Asherah, and for all the host of heaven. [2 Kings 23:15] He burned them outside Jerusalem in the fields of the Kidron and carried their ashes to Bethel.

15.2 Kings 23:6 (Whole Chapter)
And he brought out [ Deut 16:21 ] the Asherah from the house of the LORD, outside Jerusalem, to the brook Kidron, [2 Kings 23:15 ] and burned it at the brook Kidron [2 Kings 23:15; 2 Chr 15:16 ] and beat it to dust and cast the dust of it upon the graves [2 Chr 34:4] of the common people.

16.2 Kings 23:7 (Whole Chapter)
And he broke down the houses of [1 Kgs 14:24; 15:12; Deut 23:17 ] the male cult prostitutes who were in the house of the LORD, [Ezek 16:16 ] where the women wove hangings for [ 2 Kings 23:6 ] the Asherah.

17.2 Kings 23:15 (Whole Chapter)
Moreover, the altar at Bethel, the high place erected [1 Kgs 12:28, 29, 33 ] by Jeroboam the son of Nebat, [ 1 Kgs 14:16 ] who made Israel to sin, [2 Kings 23:6] that altar with the high place he pulled down and burned, [Septuagint broke in pieces its stones] reducing it to dust. He also burned the Asherah.

18.2 Chronicles 15:16 (Whole Chapter)
[For 2 Chronicles 15:16-18, 1 Kgs 15:13-15 ] Even Maacah, [1 Kgs 15:2, 10 ] his mother, King Asa removed from being queen mother because she had made a detestable image [Exodus 34:13 ] for Asherah. Asa cut down her image, [2 Chronicles 30:14; 2 Kgs 23:6, 15] crushed it, and burned it at the brook Kidron.

19.2 Chronicles 19:3 (Whole Chapter)
Nevertheless, [2 Chronicles 12:12; 1 Kgs 14:13 ] some good is found in you, for [2 Chronicles 17:6 ] you destroyed the Asherahs out of the land, and have [2 Chronicles 30:19; Ezra 7:10] set your heart to seek God."

20.2 Chronicles 33:3 (Whole Chapter)
For he rebuilt the high places [2 Chronicles 30:14; 31:1; 2 Kgs 18:4 ] that his father Hezekiah had broken down, and he erected altars to the Baals, and made [ Deut 16:21; Deut 17:3] Asherahs, and worshiped all the host of heaven and served them.

21.Micah 5:14 (Whole Chapter)
and I will root out your [Exodus 34:13; Deut 16:21 ] Asherah images from among you [ Micah 5:11 ] and destroy your cities.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I thought this had been posted before
second line

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

Do you agree with me saying that the Vatican went through decades of edits with the Bibile?
Am I being deceptive with this statement?

If you agree that I am not then are you not citing edited passages?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

How ridiculous. It's not as easy to say whatever you want about the bible as people think. There is quite a lot of history to consider. I'm not Jewish but its well known in Theological circles that the Jewish people did a tremendous job of preserving the Old Testament. The Dead Sea Scrolls only enhanced that. Yet another attack on the most sold book in world history

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Yes, some of us knows that there is a Goddess. Now that this came out, get over it Christians. Take back your insults.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I've never understood why people need to think of God as a male anyhow... or why some get very upset if someone questions, "if God is a male then shouldn't there be a female? What sense would it make to be male then?" Very unbalanced.

Do many people really need to believe God has a penis (ie the whole "male", "image of man", "he" thing)?

What if God is a complete balance of unity? What if God is The Force?

I think God is beyond our capabilities of understanding in our present forms of human beings. I am pretty certain, however, that God has no need for a penis. God is not male nor female but probably both and neither.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
English standard version Bible

[For 1 Kings 15:13-15, 2 Chr 15:16-18 ] He also removed Maacah his mother from being queen mother because she had made an abominable image for Asherah. And Asa cut down her image and [Exodus 32:20] burned it at the brook Kidron

It was a Baal deity. You can find many references to it.

It was always ordered to be torn down, not to intermingle etc with other worship than God in the old testament.

Hmmm... I wonder if the researcher is a member of BAAL (British Association for Applied Linguistics)...

Francesca Stavrakopoulou, who began her work at Oxford and is now a senior lecturer in the department of Theology and Religion at the University of Exeter

I stumbled across BAAL a while back and thought surely someone there would've noticed what the acronym of their organisation spells. I mean come on...

I could really start running with this but this is neither the time nor the place.

I will say though that it is a strange thing to research - linguistics - I've come across some very odd sites recently that appear coded, under the guise of linguistics websites. I'll put it all in a thread one of these days.

Shapes, letters, words, sentences, books, spells. A way to bring people together, a way to keep people apart. A way to war, the way to peace.

The pen is mightier than the sword.

Does God have a Wife?... No idea - sounded reasonable at first.

But then I realised God's wife would have to be kind, intelligent, good in the kitchen and beautiful... Erm...
Didn't think he made 'em like that!

Just joking of course.
Sorry if I've offended any beautiful, kind, intelligent female chefs out there - please feel free to u2u me

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well, if you hate translations, learn Hebrew and read it. I'm pretty sure this "Asherah" is one of the many gods people are told not to worship.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreams n chains
I've never understood why people need to think of God as a male anyhow... or why some get very upset if someone questions, "if God is a male then shouldn't there be a female? What sense would it make to be male then?" Very unbalanced.

Do many people really need to believe God has a penis (ie the whole "male", "image of man", "he" thing)?

I think God is beyond our capabilities of understanding in our present forms of human beings. I am pretty certain, however, that God has no need for a penis. God is not male nor female but probably both and neither.

Great post

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What appalling ignorance and plain evil. The Canaanite goddess worship and temple prostitution was one of the chief reasons God commanded Israel to destroy the Canaanites. Unfortunately Israel often fell away from the truth and corrupted herself with this pagan worship, which is why you see this kind of synthesis.

They decided to abandon the Temple of the LORD, the God of their ancestors, and they worshiped Asherah poles and idols instead! Because of this sin, divine anger fell on Judah and Jerusalem.

The psycho-lib.s in these institutions are desperate to discredit the Bible as we obviously move into the last days.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreams n chains

Modern man's religious beliefs are completely out of sync with the mind of the people who formulated the religion, and the culture it hails from.

"God" is male or female, depending on the characteristic intended. Originally "God" was seen in multiple ways, following the rule of "As above, so below". "God" will incarnate all the facets of humanity. This is expressed as the "Duad", or dual god. The dual god is both feminine and masculine.

And since numbers and symbols were applied in a religious manner, numbers and symbols will be both male and female, depending on the sacred details behind them.

But, above all, remember that the male and the female, when combined, are the creative force. This is the very essence of God, our Creator.

People who truly view gender associated with God, rather than maintaining it as the allegorical and abstract concept that it was originally intended to be, are people who have almost no understanding of the religion which they associate with.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

S&F. The female Goddess is ancient in various religions. For example, the ancient inhabitants of Malta (neanderthal Sicillians I believe) worshipped and obese woman and stone carvings have been found in Malta.

I think the fact that the bible has been manipulated multiple times in recent history (previous 500 years) speaks volumes about the multiple edits and how various groups (Mormons) and people (King James etc.) have altered it.

I'm not touching a religious debate however, as I am still undecided and exploring the infinite possibilities as to the identity of our creator/s.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Even mine was trashed....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
WOW! i ahd no idea god had a wife! ia lways wondered though. hell, i learned years ago, from a history channel documentary on the bible..adam and eve. eve was admas 2nd wife. his first wife, name skips my head right now, left him..they argued over the missionary position for sex, and she left. she cursed man, and some would say, she is the cause and rise, of a sucubus. god replaced her, with eve. the bible makes no mention of his first wife.
also, the bible talks of able and cane. cane murders able( think thats right) and skips to him having kids. the bible makes no mention of how who or where the woman came from. some scholars think it was a sister or soemthing,, incest, as was common so they say, back in those days.
the bible wa basically altered around the 1500;s or so...to iclude the new testament. the original bible, would go back like some ,1,700 years! and it was some pope i think, form the vatican, that put the pages of what he thought was important for poeple to read...not EVERYTHING
another excample...would be jesus as a kid. the bible makes no words or story of him as akid. yet, tis said as a kid, he was quite the mischevous one. one day, he made a sparrow out of mud. it was illegal to have items like that. so his mother says jesus what have you done! we are going to get in big trouble. jesus clapped his hands 2 times, and the mud sparrow turned into a real sparrow and flew out the window.
one day, ontop the roof, jesus and a freind were playing and his freind fell off the roof, and died. people gathered around, and said, jesus how can you do this too your friend? jesus answers...why dont you ask him yuorself..claps his hand 2 times, and his freind stood up alive again, as the townspeiople loked in awe and disbelif..but they knew of his powers.
bible makes no mention of that. makes on wonder whatelse we dont know*

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Her name was Sophia, according to Jesus, the entire Nag Hammadi Text, Gospel of the Creation, all by Jesus. Jesus's version of Adam and Eve and Creation is totally different than the Bible. The First big Cathedral in the world was built and called "Hagia Sophia" it is in Istanbul.

Link

en.wikipedia.org...

Jesus "On the Origin of the World"

www.gnosis.org...

edit on 3/23/2011 by coolottie because: Forgot a link sorry

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join