It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Supernatural" Goalie Save by Quick, NHL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Puck is dead on course for the goalie net. When it makes a SHARP right turn, almost like an invisible wall in the way and guides the puck out of the goalie crease.

Any hockey fans have any explanations?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PaR3v

Umm, yeah the puck hit his foot, you can see that plain as day lol
Awesome block tho!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaR3v
www.youtube.com...

Puck is dead on course for the goalie net. When it makes a SHARP right turn, almost like an invisible wall in the way and guides the puck out of the goalie crease.

Any hockey fans have any explanations?

Yes.
Its not a conspiracy,its a hockey game where deflections happen,people hit posts and goalies are excellent at what they do.
No conspiracy or anything supernatural.
Sorry to burst the bubble.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
to my untrained eye it looks as if the puck bounced of the back of the goalkeepers stick ...

Great save nonetheless..

~meathead

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
was gonna say "he willed it so" but it definitly hit the back of his skate. would think they had higher FPS cameras for these close call views.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Look at it again. It does hit his foot. But then it looks like something else hits it as well just a split second afterward, like an invisible wall

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
As a huge Kings fan, I saw the shot and almost died when it didnt go in. I was so ecstatic that we didnt go down in the first period.

After looking at the shot again and again, and knowing the way Quick works, it was a spinning puck. Much like the "flying saucers" everyone likes to talk about. Iginla's hard angle shot, combined with Quick's right leg pad hitting the puck made for a nice hard spin in the crease.

Basically, it was a lucky/great save.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think the puck goes downward, then hits a a ridge in the ice, and is deflected. The ridge could be caused by his shoe previously slicing into the ground.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It deflected off the part of the leg pad that protects the knee. I play goalie and have had a save or two just like this.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PaR3v

the speed the cameras capturing is whats throwing it off. its skipping the frames where his foot goes further back and hits the puck deeper... IMO

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaR3v
Look at it again. It does hit his foot. But then it looks like something else hits it as well just a split second afterward, like an invisible wall

I went back and took a look at that.. that was odd, it took another angled turn with nothing around it.

Possibly a gash in the ice which was pointed out.. but man, that is a trip to see.

To those saying its off the leg/foot/pad.. yes, thats the first hit.. its the second angle change that is being talked about.
edit on 23-3-2011 by TwiTcHomatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PaR3v

Whoaaa. Watched many times....wondered if it was the stick....maybe a rut in the ice?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hthjason

Oh and......Go Leafs!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
If you watch a hockey game, take notice of how the goalies scuff the ice in front of, and inside of the crease. It would explain a lot.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
the seconmd 'deflection' i think you're talking about is just due to the pucks shape

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

That's done to make the just cleaned ice not as slick in/around the crease so the goalie can have a little bit of control on the puck.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PaR3v

Angular Momentum I like to think there is a reason for everything

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It looks to me like when it hit his foot, it went up on an angle and rolled in another direction according to the spin it had... Kindof like how bowlers curve the ball halfway down the lane. Nothing miraculous here, just everyday physics.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Watch the video closer, everyone, pay attention to the overhead part. Yes the puck hits his stick but then it deflects again, off of seemingly nothing(The stick or Quick or anything but the ice is no where near it and you can see a dramatic change in direction.) If you look closely at the overhead view, then go back to the other replay, you can see that the puck is somehow taking that deflection off the ice, at least that's the only rational explanation. The ice in the crease can get chipped up bad from the goalies skates.(They like to dig up ice and put it at the corners of the goal, and make it hard for players to skate in it.
)

Still I bet if you put in terms of physics a bounce like that has got to be one in a few million at least.
edit on 23-3-2011 by thedarklingthrush because: copy edit

edit on 23-3-2011 by thedarklingthrush because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yes I have some hockey experience. It looks like the puck hit the bottom of the goalie's skates and it banked off of them at a 90 degree angle. Nothing Supernatural about this at all lol.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join