It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go Silver Go!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

I personally do NOT see the advantage at all buying physical silver. It is like agreeing to get ripped off - and like it.

Have you seen the volume in SLV? There are going to be fireworks at the end of this contract.

The price of physical silver is about $5-6 more than the SLV silver. Why?

Because if retailers sold it as low as the paper silver all of their stores would be exhausted in a week, forcing the price of silver even higher.

Physical price is a much better measure of true supply and demand.

It's funny how the simplest economic cornerstones seem not to apply to SLV hmm?

Double margin rate hike today too, I believe that's 5 times in three weeks? or is it six? Im starting to lose count
edit on 4-5-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

I actually do not believe that is the reason at all. But I guess I can see that viewpoint.

There is a markup on gold as well. There is a markup on the water pistol in aisle 12. It is how suppliers

a) make money

b) offset risk ( even though they should be doing this already )

From what I understand they are hard pressed to keep it in supply no matter what price. CME minimum reserve requirements are also detrimental to the futures price.

But if you think about it logically this will not hamper it in the longrun - perhaps even help. If demand can only be suited in the form of physical - as $16,000 to hold onto 5,000 troy oz. is a bit pricey for many speculators - suppliers will be aware of this and a natural hedge will flow into the marketplace bringing equilibrium to both markets. There may be a disconnect of sorts for a short time.

It is how big "synthetic" positions are put on when for example you cannot short a publicly listed stock on the NYSE.Syntheic Long Example

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

Dude what song you mixing right there in that Pic? you're feelin it. Wooo

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
hmmmm...

CNBC - The "SLV" ETF PONZI 5/4/2011

Lot of insider "Overnight" Millionaires have been made this week. Not sounding good for share holders wanting to cash in.

edit on 5-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
hey guys im a newb, but i am interested in the silver game (cant afford gold)
looks like silver is dropping and going to about $40
is it too soon to buy?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SophyC76
hey guys im a newb, but i am interested in the silver game (cant afford gold)
looks like silver is dropping and going to about $40
is it too soon to buy?

Hey Welcome!

If you are US...39.11 right now...CAD is at 37.48

What you will get here is a lot of info, speculation and perhaps a little "gut Instinct" on Silver (sometimes gold) but never a solid "Buy Now or Sell Now" rant. At least we hope not.

I'll be the first to weigh in in my opinion...

It is a "Safe" time to buy. How low it's going or how high is something that others here will offer up. And by safe, I mean if nothing else, you will either lose a little or gain a little at minimum. IMO

Personally, I prefer physical but others here are not of the same mind set...and that's ok.

If you have been watching markets lately, you will have noticed the crazy ups and downs so as in anything, buy when it's down...which it is now. How much further? We're all waiting.

Read thru the thread and get a feel for each person and what they do, follow etc. That will give you a better marker on whether you will find what you are looking for here or not.

Either way...please keep in mind that it is all only our OPINION and NOT investment advice.

Also, please weigh in on any info, links, opinions you may have. The more, the merrier...right?

Welcome!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thank you so much for your insight! I agree that silver has been up and down recently, which makes the plan to invest a little riskier and scarier.
I'm just a college student and wouldn't have much money to invest in it so I believe I will wait until it drops to the low 30s to buy. Hope it gets there.

I also believe that the dollar is highly unstable right now (maybe the ATP conspiracies are rubbing off on me)
Anyways, I will keep watching the prices and keep an eye on this thread
Thank you!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hmmmmm. Where have all the cheerleaders gone? I believe silver is now below the point where this thread was started. It will probably keep dropping until it goes back to $15 as the large invetsors flee, leaving everything in the hands of the common investor. Gold is next.

The dynamics of every bubble are the same. Obscene gains given away by investors who really believe that this time is different. It is never different. All bubbles come to an end. The precious metal bubble is no different even though I am sure i will get replies, that yes it is different and this is just market manipulation. Sorry to tell you, but the manipulation was on the way up and you are left holding the bag.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
CME's margin hikes (84% currently) are illegal because

■ unfair practice & abuse of power
■ monopoly
■ anti-investors

why are people not protesting? Why are people being too gullible to believe what mainstream media and government analysts claimed that silver gone parabolic? It's pretty obvious that CME group is a fraudulent and ponzi organization

In 1982, Silver was US$50 and a box of 18 oz Kellogg's Corn Flakes was US$1.25.
Today (2011), 1 box of 12 oz of Kellogg's Corn Flakes costs US$3.79.

What the heck.. American government and garbage US dollar - dirty high-level mega criminals.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
well i still have not jumped in on the dip yet. Margins are raising again on SLV Monday. do you think that is priced in on todays drop?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SophyC76

yes wait till hits below 25$ then buy it will get lower for a week or 2 but then it will get back up around 50$ gold will is doing the same it will get down around 250$ with in the year, but then sore bake up around 1650 1700 it might take a year or two but it will. see my posts here www.abovetopsecret.com... and for today's value www.kitco.com... from the link

Gold May 05, 2011 12:32 1482.90 -12.70-0.84% -20.90-1.38% -33.60-2.22%
Silver May 05, 2011 12:32 36.28 -0.33-0.84% -2.78-7.06% -3.11-7.90%
and they say i was full of it.

edit on 5-5-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4LifeI personally do NOT see the advantage at all buying physical silver. It is like agreeing to get ripped off - and like it.

A few reasons. First, find a dealer who doesn't rip you off! I buy online from a dealer who doesn't charge any tax, has lower-than-average premiums, and has very reasonable, low shipping charges.

Second, I find it's very satisfying to see those shiny chunks of metal. Most investments tend to be very anonymous - you just see digits change on a computer screen. Not very exciting... but a big chunk of shiny, pretty-looking metal you can heft in your hands, now that feels substantial. I find acquiring physical is a lot more motivating than purchasing some boring money-market fund or whatever, and I find I'm a lot better at putting my money into physical. YMMV.

And thirdly, the whole SHTF scenario. No, I don't believe that society is going to collapse and everything will go all Mad Max, but when I look carefully at the US dollar, the Federal Reserve's practices, and the health of the US economy, it doesn't take a genius to see that sooner or later there will be major problems with these things. Maybe 6 months, maybe 6 years, but eventually the US is going to have a financial crisis of some kind, and physical PMs will be a good hedge against that.

I don't put all my investing dollars into PMs, nor do I recommend it to others, but having a hedge against the "worst case" scenario is not a bad idea.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Hmmmmm. Where have all the cheerleaders gone? I believe silver is now below the point where this thread was started. It will probably keep dropping until it goes back to $15 as the large invetsors flee, leaving everything in the hands of the common investor. Gold is next.

The dynamics of every bubble are the same. Obscene gains given away by investors who really believe that this time is different. It is never different. All bubbles come to an end. The precious metal bubble is no different even though I am sure i will get replies, that yes it is different and this is just market manipulation. Sorry to tell you, but the manipulation was on the way up and you are left holding the bag.

I'm right here, still holing my pom-poms buddy. I've made 50% on my silver investment at this moment so I'm still happy.

Or maybe I should wait and respond when in two weeks were back to $47?

This was a mini-bubble driven my weak hands who got shaken out. They'll come back too, but after the big guns start their buying which will happen as soon as next week.

I don't think anyone here though silver would continue it's parabolic move up. Plus, the physical is still selling at $43-45/oz. Spot price could go to $4 but the physical would still be $36, so it makes no difference unless you were duped into the paper market.

Good job in predicting that you will get replies that don't agree with yours. How brilliant

edit on 5-5-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Where do you think JPM shorts are located at $25-$30? Im sure once they get covered we will sling shot back up

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Where do you think JPM shorts are located at $25-$30? Im sure once they get covered we will sling shot back up

Good question,

Personally I'm waiting for $30 as I think it's a good middle ground to buy.

Maybe a few dollars off but if we could predict exactly, we'd all be rich.

IMO

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Wow what a crazy market day. I cant wait to see how Asia and Euro react to this

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

On the contrary, it's not being left in the hands of the common investor at all; it's being stripped from them, and that's what's driving the fall. The reason for the current dip is sheer manipulation, through rapid-fire CME margin hikes, pricing out most common investors. News flash... they're not done yet either. If you think rapid-fire margin hikes during a dip are anything other than blatant manipulation, then I don't know how to explain it to you. It has people scratching their heads at the absurdity of such actions.

Sure, some large investors cashed in a bit as it neared $50, but that was a natural level for an expected dip/correction, and I'd hardly label it "fleeing". When the CME halts their nose-dive manipulations all those fat cats, who temporarily dropped out, will gobble it back up, at the artificially created low price, and silver will be off to the races once more.
edit on 5/5/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I have kind of a noob question
So I am seeing that silver prices are steadily declining and I might be ready to buy
Do you guys recommend me buying physical silver for example silver american eagle coins or is there a different way to purchase?

thanks

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You could do worse than to go to the Kitco silver discussion forum, lurk there, and read a few of teh FAQs, threads, etc.

Here is a link: www.kitcomm.com...

IMHO silver physical can be a very good way to protect your money, but do a lot of research and have a good handle on what you are getting into. Start off with small purchases while you learn what you are doing.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LS650

thanks for the reply, i will check out the link

edit on 5-5-2011 by SophyC76 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join