It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetical Question: What would you do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I am attempting to find out what people would do given a certain set of circumstances. This thread is purely speclative and does not represent anything real as of yet...

SUPPOSE that you are an American (I'm only using Americans because that is what I am, feel free to think of it as being YOUR home country) and you are living your life the way every other American, well most of them, lives theirs. You go to work to pay your bills and go to night school to better yourself in the future. Everything is going fine the way you see it. No more problems than the next guy and the guy after him.

Then one day your world get fliped on end. Your only real way of communicating with the world is stopped. The internet and the phone networks have been shut down. With this shutting down of the internet and the phone networks, Marshal Law has been imposed and you are required to be in your homes by 6p.m. Noone is on the streets and the only way you have of knowing what is going on is by watching the mainstream news channel. They give you some kind of excuse as to why the internet has been shut down and why you are now living under Marshal Law. Perhaps a they tell you that a major catastrophy has taken place or that some hacker group has shut down the internet and the tanks are in the street to prevent 'civil unrest'. Suppose you live like this, the curfews, a news station that you know can't be trusted and soldiers walking the streets, for two months without any real information. Then one day one of your close relatives says they have gotten word, somehow, that a rebellion is taking place in Washington D.C...... What do you do?

MessOnTheFED!
edit on 23-3-2011 by MessOnTheFED! because: it appears i have mistakenly put this thread in the wrong area. Will some nice MOD please move it for me?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Take my arsenal and head to DC. Actually I think i would just sit with my arsenal at home and wait until the rebellion hit my parts. I don't see how I could travel so far with curfews and tanks in the street to be honest.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by n0tsan3

Good answer. With nothing but lies coming from all around you, its a little naieve to think you can take everything you have stockpiled when there are soldiers and tanks in the street.

Thanks for the reply!

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I would wonder how a rebellion managed to just spring up without forewarning, why a popular uprising would occur against a democratically elected government and why the government would respond in that manner.

I’d seek more information.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I think if the internet went down and they tried to get people inside by 6pm they would be very screwed. Even if I had no way of communicating with he world I still wouldn't be watching much mainstream news. I would be contacting internet hosts and phone companies and asking about the problem directly. There's very little chance hackers could bring down the internet connection of an entire nation, but lets say Obama "presses the button" and switches off the internet or something like that (I don't even live in America though). If that happened people would be angry, without the internet to keep them entertained they have time to go and make themselves heard. Not to mention, the impact of such a shut down would be a massive hit on the operations of the nation, and even other nations. The problems and costs involved would be tremendous, no sane president would actually shut off the internet. They will slowly restrict and filter it. Over time, it will get more and more mainstream. It's already happening on a very low level.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Where would you find said information? When all you have to go by is the mainstream news and hearsay? Democratically elected governments? What is this you speak of?

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

I know that there is little chance of hackeers bringing down our communication systems, however, we've had more rediculus things pushed on us before. And I dont believe that if something like this did ever occur we would still be worried about our money. It would more than likely be all gone by then anyway.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Neighbours, radio; your curfew isn't until 6 so until then I can travel too. Not perfect but better than sitting around or going off half cocked.

Democratically elected governments? What is this you speak of?

A government that is elected based on a vote by those eligible with the winner being the entity gaining the largest share of votes depending on the specific system used.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

hmm surprised nobody has talked about dusting off the old HAM radio set,,, yet..

shortwave radio can be Jammed,,, but not EVERY wavelength ,, or ALL the time..

information WILL get out to the masses..

www.hamradio.com...
edit on 3/23/11 by darrman because: add a thingy

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Crank up the shortwave.
Turn on the CB's and Walkie Talkies.
Get a better view of the situation and ascertain if I need to go to DC.

If so strap up and take all gear and head down on Ducati.

If stay, board up windows and tap into the rations I have.

Either way someones getting their ass kicked.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Practically speakimg, I'd buy a few more packages of TP. I have no interest in traveling 3,000 miles across the country to "be closer" to a rumor of a revolution. We don't know who is running the revolution, for one thing. It could be the "bad guys." As with any of these many SHTF scenarios, they're only as good as they are set up. My basic issue is nort to jump to conclusions nor rely on rumors. And, FYI, it's "martial" law.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I would start my Connectify hot spot on my pcs after connecting my external antenna. I set up my other pcs on my home network as servers. I would fill my water jugs and tubs. I would check my guns and ammo. I would top off vehicle fuel if possible. I would buy extra Coleman fuel if possible. I would try to find working receiver / LNBs for satellite dish in my surplus/junk corner.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

LOL thought it looked funny. All i can say is that i have never won a spelling bee. Thats for sure.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I know what a democratically elected government is. I believe that we havent had a true one in a long wile though.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This is hypothetical...
Telepathically alert the ship to go into level five engine cooling
and prepare for level 6 soul evacuation. Naw but seriously it would just stay in level 4 energy accumulation from inner planetary core source

edit on 3/23/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
This is hypothetical...
Telepathically alert the ship to go into level five engine cooling
and prepare for level 6 soul evacuation. Naw but seriously it would just stay in level 4 energy accumulation from inner planetary core source.

Sounds legit man.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I know I was being facetious, but who gets to decide what is a true democracy (I’m in the UK btw)? It could be as open as you like but someone can always say it’s not open enough.

edit on 23-3-2011 by Mike_A because: clarity

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I would make sure all my gear is in good operating condition.

Then I would try to communicate with neighbors, and family.
That way we could organize a community of help.
If no communication is possible, I would do what I normally do.
Make sure I have heat, water, and food.
Plenty of booze too.

Self-sustainability.
Thats what counts.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Bullets--- booze-- butts--- and babes

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Run to the Hills, Run for your life!

new topics