It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian fighters abandon planned attack on Libyan airfield..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

ca.news.yahoo.com

OTTAWA - Canadian military fighters embarked on a second day of missions over Libya but officials said they abandoned a planned attack on a Libyan airfield.

The mission Tuesday marked their first offensive operations since arriving in-theatre on the weekend.

Maj.-Gen. Tom Lawson, a defence spokesman, said once over their target the two Canadian pilots and command elements determined the risk of collateral damage was too high.

"This was in direct compliance with the strict rules of engagement within which they are operating
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Good.

We should stick with just assisting NATO attack convoy's. There was no direct threat to Canada or Canadian military in the area, so we did not engage.

Huge statement, if you ask me.
edit on 22-3-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Here's hoping that we can keep our involvement limited, like our Iraq involvement. Supply the Yankees, don't fire guns on their behalf!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
/inb4friendlyfire

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

risk of collateral damage was too high.

And that's what separates the Canadian military from the Us, at least from a command stand point. When has a US commander in Iraq or Afghanistan abandon a mission because of the risk of collateral damage? Never, in fact, they tape the entire thing and joke about it on facebook.

Before you say it, I know not everyone in the US army is like that, they don't need to be, only a few well placed commanders and sergeants are.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

ca.news.yahoo.com

OTTAWA - Canadian military fighters embarked on a second day of missions over Libya but officials said they abandoned a planned attack on a Libyan airfield.

The mission Tuesday marked their first offensive operations since arriving in-theatre on the weekend.

Maj.-Gen. Tom Lawson, a defence spokesman, said once over their target the two Canadian pilots and command elements determined the risk of collateral damage was too high.

"This was in direct compliance with the strict rules of engagement within which they are operating
(visit the link for the full news article)

It's just another reason why us American think you Canadians are a bunch of [SNIP]. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I don't like America being in another war either but freedom is worth every bullet shot. Look at you Canadians sitting happily with your freedom not willing to help someone elses cause. PATHETIC.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Gemwolf because: Mod Edit: Snipped naughty word

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NNEECE

And what about the RAF aborting missions for the same reason?

Are the British [SNIP] as well, or is it showing that, at least from a British and Canadian standpoint, civilian casualties are to be avoided wherever possible? It's a shame you think that civilians are expendable.

edit on 22/3/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2011 by Gemwolf because: Mod Edit: Removed naughty word

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
You have to admire the professionalism of the Canadian Forces. Rarely do I ever see such disipline.
Makes me proud.

Too bad people like Col. Russell Williams are associated with these same men and women who do an outstanding job.

SnF for bringing this to my (and others) attention.

Respect,

AS
edit on 22-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: added+ snf + sp

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NNEECE It's just another reason why us American think you Canadians are a bunch of [SNIP]. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I don't like America being in another war either but freedom is worth every bullet shot. Look at you Canadians sitting happily with your freedom not willing to help someone elses cause. PATHETIC.

Okay. We'll keep our 65 billion and you can keep those f35's..

deal?
edit on 22-3-2011 by Gemwolf because: Mod Edit: Snipped quote

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Every war for the last 15yrs there's been a feel good story like this.
Its basic propaganda 101. When people start stating collateral damage is to high, you throw out a story like this so you can argue that you are following the ROE.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Apparently the Americans went in all guns blazing Team America style, when recovering their downed pilots, shooting villagers who were in fact helping the downed crew.

www.channel4.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Every war for the last 15yrs there's been a feel good story like this.
Its basic propaganda 101. When people start stating collateral damage is to high, you throw out a story like this so you can argue that you are following the ROE.

Well all I can say is that it's better to have SOME follow the ROE instead of none!

Respect,

AS

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NNEECE

Deny Ignorance man. This shouldn't be about who is the toughest or who is more badass. I think they did the right thing.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Seriously guys? Is this how an ATS discussion should go?

Let's keep our discussions up to standard.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This action is at the behest of the multinational corporate swine, big oil. No one cared about Darfur or Ruwanda as innocent people were slaughtered. Why now..money..corporate profits. It's the Neocolonialism of Africa and everyone wants a piece, including the Chinese. I'm for Africa for Africans!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
to the op, I heard this on the radio when i was going to timmies to get mah dubdl dubbl. I have huge respect for Canadian soldiers, we always represent a strong sense of human compassion and wisdom, though some may not see it that way. My brothers friend died in Afghanistan fighting an american holy war.... The funeral was an astounding experience, his death was unnecessary.

Originally posted by NNEECE
It's just another reason why us American think you Canadians are a bunch of [SNIP]. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I don't like America being in another war either but freedom is worth every bullet shot. Look at you Canadians sitting happily with your freedom not willing to help someone elses cause. PATHETIC.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Gemwolf because: Mod Edit: Snipped naughty word

Yes, we are sitting happy with our freedom, we earned it. You guys have freedom too, why don't you sit back and enjoy it? oh, right, religious crusading, oil whoring, civilian killing. You guys got a busy schedule. I'll leave you to your tyrannical rampage.

Just don't bring your hate to Canada, we may have been a British colony the first time we burned the white house down, but we'll be Canada if there is need for a second.

U.s.a is like Canada's annoying little brother, just shut up, sit down, and enjoy the movie like the rest of us.
edit on 22-3-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: 1'st

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Good.

We should stick with just assisting NATO attack convoy's. There was no direct threat to Canada or Canadian military in the area, so we did not engage.

Huge statement, if you ask me.
edit on 22-3-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

How do you get that out of the story?
It says they saw a risk of collateral damage. Why would there be civillian people on a millitary airfield?
HUMAN SHIELDS
This is a direct violation of human rights by Gaddafi if they saw human shields being used on a military site down there.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NNEECE

Freedom is worth killing the people we are there to save?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join