It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian fighters abandon planned attack on Libyan airfield..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

For what it's worth Gemwolf, I've had a discussion with FredT and SO a few years ago about the use of the word "cat with a P" (you know what I mean) and it means two entirely different things.

In America, it is a vulgar euphanism for lady parts, in the UK it means coward, as in scaredy cat and isn't a vulgar word. I got a warning for my use of it last time, but on appeal, cultural differences where ironed out and the warning lifted. I hope no offence was caused by use of it this time.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NNEECE

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

ca.news.yahoo.com

OTTAWA - Canadian military fighters embarked on a second day of missions over Libya but officials said they abandoned a planned attack on a Libyan airfield.

The mission Tuesday marked their first offensive operations since arriving in-theatre on the weekend.

Maj.-Gen. Tom Lawson, a defence spokesman, said once over their target the two Canadian pilots and command elements determined the risk of collateral damage was too high.

"This was in direct compliance with the strict rules of engagement within which they are operating
(visit the link for the full news article)

It's just another reason why us American think you Canadians are a bunch of [SNIP]. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I don't like America being in another war either but freedom is worth every bullet shot. Look at you Canadians sitting happily with your freedom not willing to help someone elses cause. PATHETIC.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Gemwolf because: Mod Edit: Snipped naughty word

In the past the Canadians were always the first to go in on the front lines before the U.S., study your history before you go making judgments.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawaii50thIn the past the Canadians were always the first to go in on the front lines before the U.S., study your history before you go making judgments.

Under direct orders from UK. Yes we did. Juno beach was one of the most deadliest in France and Canadians were there to take it head on.

This is based on an actual radio conversation between a U.S. Navy
aircraft carrier (U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln) and Canadian authorities
off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. (The radio
conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on
10/10/95 authorized by the Freedom of Information Act.)

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to
avoid collision.

Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the
North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15
degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again,
divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND
LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE
ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS
SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES
NORTH--I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH--OR
COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

The last line of the article:

"This depends on a number of factors, including the resolve and determination of Gadhafi to hang on."

But I thought we were only there to "level the playing field"?

It's an invasion and that just proved it. Im just waiting on the false flag that puts boots on the ground.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
Yes, we are sitting happy with our freedom, we earned it. You guys have freedom too, why don't you sit back and enjoy it? oh, right, religious crusading, oil whoring, civilian killing. You guys got a busy schedule. I'll leave you to your tyrannical rampage.

Just don't bring your hate to Canada, we may have been a British colony the first time we burned the white house down, but we'll be Canada if there is need for a second.

U.s.a is like Canada's annoying little brother, just shut up, sit down, and enjoy the movie like the rest of us.
edit on 22-3-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: 1'st

First off Canada and freedom in the same sentence is an oxymoron. I have direct experience with the Canadian government, CSIS and the military, there ain't no more freedom here than there is in the US, there's actually a lot less in Canada. Second, Canada is NOT A COUNTRY, it still a british colony, go look it up, we never divorced the biatch. Why do you think we can't get a seat on the UN Security Council if were so bloody altruistic, wise and noble? Educate yourself!

As far as the US bombing Libya and going after Gaddafi, serious bad move. The assassination of leaders of other countries is prohibited by American Law, which means the US is setting a precedent in that all leaders are apparently now subject to targeting.

Personally, I would prefer to see Canada totally out of this little campaign, it isn't worth the trouble and it certainly isn't worth having our good men and women die, NOT EVEN ONE, over the corporatization of Libya on behalf of the IMF, UN and EU trinity made in hell. And certainly, the US should stop being the IMF/World Bank/BIS biatch they have become, get off the leash.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NNEECE

It's just another reason why us American think you Canadians are a bunch of [SNIP]. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I don't like America being in another war either but freedom is worth every bullet shot. Look at you Canadians sitting happily with your freedom not willing to help someone elses cause. PATHETIC.

You say that because Canadians won't kill people for oil? Get your head on right NEECE, this is ats, stop swallowing the garbage.

This by no means absolves Canada, the are still supporting the U.S. What they have been doing is basically being the gettaway driver for the the bank robber (U.S.).

We can't blame each other, we're all controlled by the same Globalist forces

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako
reply to post by NNEECE

You say that because Canadians won't kill people for oil? Get your head on right NEECE, this is ats, stop swallowing the garbage.

This by no means absolves Canada, the are still supporting the U.S. What they have been doing is basically being the gettaway driver for the the bank robber (U.S.).

We can't blame each other, we're all controlled by the same Globalist forces

That is very true too. When it comes down to it, there are two fingers in the nose of certain leaders being pulled to where they see fit by these few elite controllers.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Actually from the article you linked they said the reason they called off the attack was...

Maj.-Gen. Tom Lawson, a defense spokesman, said once over their target the two Canadian pilots and command elements determined the risk of collateral damage was too high.

I think that is actually a better reason for calling it off than threat or lack of threat to Canada.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

Actually from the article you linked they said the reason they called off the attack was...

Maj.-Gen. Tom Lawson, a defense spokesman, said once over their target the two Canadian pilots and command elements determined the risk of collateral damage was too high.

I think that is actually a better reason for calling it off than threat or lack of threat to Canada.

There is no collateral damage on a millitary air base, everything that is there is acceptable to hit. Unless Kaddafi put human shields out there. That is a direct violation to human rights and is the only reasonble explanation.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

First, the article never said it was a military airbase. It likely was but, even if that case, there are reasons to be concerned about collateral damage. If the airbase is sharing facilities with a civilian airport, there is a high risk of killing innocent civilians.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

But a US spokesman "100%" denied any civilians were injured by US weapons fire in the rescue operation.

Reporter Lindsey Hilsum, at the scene of the crash, said the US helicopter came in and opened fire on Monday night, local time, as villagers were handing over one of the downed pilots to local rebel forces.

A man described as a military policeman, Omar Sayd, told the reporter: "We are disturbed about the shooting because if they had given us a chance we would have handed over both pilots."

www.smh.com.au...

yeah
get canada out of there
its nothing but stinkhole murder
edit on 22-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Yes - that's a good point and very possible. Heck, given the way the media act sometimes I wouldn't be surprised if they decided setting up beside the airfield would be a great way to get some footage. There really isn't any way to tell just what they say as the article doesn't say - but they clearly felt they couldn't do it without endangering civilians and called it off.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Looks like no one knows who wants to take the ball.

U.S. Says Libyan Campaign to Ease as No-Fly Zone Is Secured NATO Discord The question of who assumes leadership in a U.S. hand off was unresolved, as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization inconclusively discussed whether to take charge. Norway and Italy said their participation in air operations depends on settling who will be in command. France proposed a new political steering committee, outside NATO, take responsibility, Foreign Minister Alain Juppe told lawmakers in Paris, according to Agence France Press. Wrangling over the alliance’s possible role in the four-day-old air campaign had exposed divisions over the command structure and strategy for the fight against Qaddafi. President Barack Obama, speaking in Santiago, Chile, yesterday said the U.S. would hand off its leadership role “in a matter of days, not a matter of weeks.” “This command-and-control business is complicated, and we haven’t done something like this kind of on-the-fly before,” U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters in Moscow today. “It’s not surprising to me that it would take a few days to get it all sorted out.”
www.bloomberg.com...

Who's in charge? Germans pull forces out of NATO as Libyan coalition falls apart * Tensions with Britain as Gates rebukes UK government over suggestion Gaddafi could be assassinated * French propose a new political 'committee' to oversee operations * Germany pulls equipment out of NATO coalition over disagreement over campaign's direction * Italians accuse French of backing NATO in exchange for oil contracts * No-fly zone called into question after first wave of strikes 'neutralises' Libyan military machine * U.K. ministers say war could last '30 years' * Italy to 'take back control' of bases used by allies unless NATO leadership put in charge of the mission * Russians tell U.S. to stop bombing in order to protect civilians - calls bombing a 'crusade' Deep divisions between allied forces currently bombing Libya worsened today as the German military announced it was pulling forces out of NATO over continued disagreement on who will lead the campaign. A German military spokesman said it was recalling two frigates and AWACS surveillance plane crews from the Mediterranean, after fears they would be drawn into the conflict if NATO takes over control from the U.S. The infighting comes as a heated meeting of NATO ambassadors yesterday failed to resolve whether the 28-nation alliance should run the operation to enforce a U.N.-mandated no-fly zone, diplomats said. Yesterday a war of words erupted between the U.S. and Britain after the U.K. government claimed Muammar Gaddafi is a legitimate target for assassination. U.K. government officials said killing the Libyan leader would be legal if it prevented civilian deaths as laid out in a U.N. resolution. But U.S. defence secretary Robert Gates hit back at the suggestion, saying it would be 'unwise' to target the Libyan leader adding cryptically that the bombing campaign should stick to the 'U.N. mandate'. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

'We are not at war...,’ Fillon says No Flash warning To take advantage of all the features on FRANCE24.COM, please click here to download the latest version of Flash Player. Three days after the start of the international military mission over Libya, French Prime Minister Francois Fillon (pictured) defended France’s involvement in Libya during the parliamentary debate on Tuesday. By Catherine NORRIS TRENT in Paris (video) FRANCE 24 (text) Opening the debate on French involvement, French Prime Minister Francois Fillon reiterated that France’s involvement aimed to stop attacks against Libyan civilians, and nothing more. “We are not at war with Libya, we are protecting the civilian population,” said Fillon and added, “Our objectives are very specific... to protect the civilian population, excluding explicitly any occupation forces.”
www.france24.com...

What a mess, it's like one guy on a basket ball court wanting to pass the ball to someone, but no one wants to take it.
In the mean time looks like the Russians and the Chinese are making threats to the coalition. It's almost as though they are looking to the U.S. for leadership, and guess what this time there is none.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I do not believe the US should be involved in anyway. Libya did not attack us or any other country.
It isn't about Libya's freedom, it's about there oil fields.
Nice to see Canada step up and say no.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Here's a ghost from the past, I knew this guy always said the wrong things and always puts his foot in his mouth.

Sen. Joe Biden: Iran & Impeachment

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NNEECE

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

ca.news.yahoo.com

OTTAWA - Canadian military fighters embarked on a second day of missions over Libya but officials said they abandoned a planned attack on a Libyan airfield.

The mission Tuesday marked their first offensive operations since arriving in-theatre on the weekend.

Maj.-Gen. Tom Lawson, a defence spokesman, said once over their target the two Canadian pilots and command elements determined the risk of collateral damage was too high.

"This was in direct compliance with the strict rules of engagement within which they are operating
(visit the link for the full news article)

What are you so mad about!? The fact that they have integrity? Professionalism? Should all Canadians go barging in like Yosemite Sam? We sit happy with our freedom because our relatives fought for it. We don't take it for granted, we respect it. I do not think that a mission where the risk of collateral damage is too high should continue. Would you like it if they bombed a civilian taget in your hometown? I think they are doing an upstanding job and am proud to be Canadian. Personally, I don't give a flying fart what a bunch of Americans think about me. I have to live with myself, as do these pilots, and I am sure they can sleep well at night now.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

And what cause it that?? Help America commit some more terrorist attacks on another country. I think we were right to not attack that time.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Well apparently canadian pilots look at civilians as more than a little collateral damage, good on them. That word is PC BS anyway, call it what it is, murdering civilians.
edit on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:18:25 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Is this supposed to make you feel good. Your still bombing Libyans wether they are the civilians your protecting or the the Libyans supporting Qaddaffi. Your still there right along side the rest of the coalition. Don't act as if your some noble entity cause you didnt bomb an airbase that day. Looks like it was the second day of missions, which means the first day was business as usual.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Listen to the pilot, he did it because of ethics!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join