It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

looking for something lightweight to carry in kit to help get fire going and is cheap

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
try used dryer sheets they are light weight and very flammable light very easily with sparks from flint. extra bonus your page will smell good and you only need one for each fire

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Steel wool and 9 volt battery.
Touch the battery to the steel wool and fire.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Try one of these.

www.amazon.com...

I have used them for years and love them.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
take dryer lint and mix with petrolem jelly. Also magnesium sticks are real good, scrape some off into a pile, and set a spark to it within your tinder
edit on 21-3-2011 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Cotton wool balls and a Swedish steel. Job done.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Drier lint.
Real easy to light.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
"Chard" cloth

Take an old cloth rag, light it on fire and then put it out when it reachs a charcoal state.

make sure it is completely extinguished, put it in a baggy.

charded cloth will re-ingnite with just a spark,say from flint or any other rock. instant fire.

no cost and as light as dryer lint

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Most camping stores sell a magnesium/steel stick with striker. Their prices range from a couple of bucks for something basic to pricey depending on an extra like a carved handle or "fancy" carrying case. This is a small item, lightweight and works well.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is strange! Why is there an identical thread posted by OP further down the list of Recent Posts about 6 secs after this thread was posted

You can buy a box of fire starters-light and cheap.
edit on 21-3-2011 by 1Starman because: add reply to op

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Ive used these before with excellent success...

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

I love the fact that I can light them, no matter the wind, rain, dust, etc.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
In survival school, they taught us a number of things. If your go bag includes a weapon, you can remove the gun powder from a bullet to use in an emergency.

As you make and break camps, keep the sawdust from any trees you cut down in a zip lock pouch. That lights pretty easily.

In Iraq, my E&E kit contained a bag of dryer lint, three Bic lighters and a Victorinox Swiss Champion. I kept the knife in there party because the magnifying glass can light the lint if the lighters fail.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Edit, double post.
edit on 21-3-2011 by 43mike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by proof-would-be-good
Most camping stores sell a magnesium/steel stick with striker. Their prices range from a couple of bucks for something basic to pricey depending on an extra like a carved handle or "fancy" carrying case. This is a small item, lightweight and works well.

I think this is your best option, I have one and it works great! Lightweight and cheap.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
there are so many things to use. great ideas! also one I havent seen is Tampons. pull cotton apart. plus they make good plugs for a broken bloody nose if cut in half and inserted into the nose.
edit on 21-3-2011 by ladymerelda because: spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
huh, replied, came back and reply was gone.
this thread is posted twice.
here was my response.

t.p. and a bic lighter.
personally, i carry t.p. in my pack.
believe it or not, besides hygiene and fire starter i also use it to blow my nose.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline. Carry in a zip lock plastic bag. Or... even better Jumbo Fritos make great fire starters and you can eat 'em if you don't need 'em.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
butane cigarette lights.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KOGDOG
Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline. Carry in a zip lock plastic bag. Or... even better Jumbo Fritos make great fire starters and you can eat 'em if you don't need 'em.

This is one of the things I carry. (cotton balls / Vaseline)

After I make them I stuff them in an old pill bottle. Their water proof and burn quite a while and costs next to nothing to make a crap load!

I carry in my pack:

Cotton balls / Vaseline
A Bic lighter
A Blast match
Waterproof matches
A magnesium fire starter

Over kill?? not if you need a fire.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Cotton balls soaked in vaseline, and an extremely small bottle of alcohol.

Keep your bottle of alcohol in a ziplock with the cotton balls in vaseline. When you pour a few drops of alcohol on the cotton ball they are super easy to light with a flint and steel, and burn with a 6" flame for like 3 minutes.

I call them alcohol balls.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join