It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

looking for something lightweight to carry in kit to help get fire going and is cheap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
try used dryer sheets they are light weight and very flammable light very easily with sparks from flint. extra bonus your page will smell good and you only need one for each fire

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well if you are using flint I would recommend tinder, which is essentially a fine steel wool used to catch and ignite a small fire.

BUT

I was just discussing this in chat and is very workable with a bic lighter.

What you will need
Egg carton, 1 doz size (cardboard not styro)
Dryer lint (a good handful)
Wood shavings
Shredded newspaper
A good amount of melted wax.

Ok so you want to lay your egg carton out on the table, start with a few of the wood shavings, then evenly pat down the dryer lint into the carton. On top of that, spread your shredded newspaper and the remainder of the wood shavings. IT IS IMPORTANT TO USE MORE FLAMMABLE MATERIALS THAN YOU USE WAX FOR THE NEXT STEP OR YOU WILL HAVE A HARD TIME IGNITING THE PORTABLE FIRE.

CAREFULLY pour your melted wax into the egg carton so that the individual egg holders are full but not overflowing. The wax should help everything pack down very nicely into the carton AND keep it dry! (BONUS!)

After the wax hardens you can break your carton into 12. Congratulations, you now have 12 portable fires.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

magnesium striker at wal mart for like 7 or 8 bucks in the camping section

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Just get a pack of lighters.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Whoa! Deja vu!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
char cloth with jute , flint, steel less than 30 sec you will have a fire going hot and ready to build up to a cooking fire , single fire or to warm up by.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Steel wool and a nine volt battery. Try it (outside) it works remarkably well. Magnifier lens (including reading glasses) and the sun. Three sticks and a shoe lace are good standbys if you have stamina.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
t.p. and a bic lighter.
personally, i carry t.p. in my pack.
believe it or not, besides hygiene and fire starter i also use it to blow my nose.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
this was accidentally posted twice.....closed pending deletion.

please post your suggestions here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Mon Mar 21 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

join