It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are YOU ready to be drafted?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Looks like the subject is again rearing its ugly head.

I know this is a sore issue with so many for and against but I wonder how many people, in support of the recent Libyan stage, would be so eager if they got that letter in the mail tomorrow telling them to report to the nearest recruitment center?

I have a feeling that a lot of positions would change in this case.

Rep. Charles Rangel

Representative from the 15th Congressional District in New York
Posted: March 18, 2011 05:29 PM

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Today, March 19, 2011, marks the 8th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq. The question of whether we need a draft will always be important as long as this country is placing thousands of its young men and women in harm's way.

Based on false pretenses of weapons of mass destruction and involvement in the 9/11 attacks, the unfunded war in Iraq has cost our nation not only $800 billion dollars, but the lives of more than 4,400 brave American patriots. Over 32,000 U.S. soldiers have also been seriously wounded in the war we should not have been in the first place.

"It is because of these devastating statistics and the commitment our nation must make to sharing in duty and service that I reintroduced the Universal National Service Act, commonly known as the draft bill."

More...

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 20-3-2011 by jude11 because: edit

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hes been pushing that bilge for sometime now... nothing new..

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Draft will never happen

As long as America chooses to war without the consent of it's people. The people will slowly stop joining the army.

This is how he ordinary citizen voters, ny not doing something they don't want to do

I don't want to murder human beings end of story

If you can't find enough willing people maybe the cause is wrong

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ADUB77

Thought I'd post this as well. A lot of soldiers aren't too excited about it anymore...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that the huffington post is by and far a worthless rag full of nonsense.
The only draft is between the ears of the author of the article.
edit on 20-3-2011 by keepithush because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Very highly doubt the draft will be re-instated..

Its not impossible though.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I do not believe in any kind of war but I suppose that it will always be around. If I ever get a letter to be drafted I will simply not go. They will have to come and arrest me if they can find me first lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
well I doubt they would even be interested in me.
I'm too old and disabled to meet their criteria.

And Rangel needs to be in prison rather
than drafting legislation. His censure
was a joke.

edit on 3/20/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The reason Rangel is always pushing for a draft is simple really. He figures if a draft is forced upon the American people that they will demand the wars to end.

And IMO he's right.
edit on 20-3-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Although I agree, if the draft is implemented there will be no turning back. In my experience, laws and legislation implemented in the US, once passed have no chance of reversal.

If the draft is put in place, it will be the new norm and will remain with only a whimper of resistance from the opposition.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
After awhile, as always, the discussion always moves towards dehydrating foods and preserves. I will post this once and then later I will post another on preserves. My specialty and favorite is Garlic scapes and stems. Yummy morsels that most throw away.

Ok, from my other life, on my other thread, on another site, far-far away:

Just to add...

My dad used to can wild meat in the old fashioned mason jars. A few years ago, he passed away and us kids had to go and clear things up. Down in the cellar and presto! He was still canning meat!

Not only wild but pork, beef etc. Found one jar that was 7 yrs old. Looked nasty on the outside, rusted lid, scratched jar and such.

My sister and I looked at each other and said, "Why the hell not?" So we opened it. Inside was just as I remembered, looked the same, smelled the same and the texture was like day one.

Should we? 7 years? hmmmm....we did! No problem, delicious and not a hint of nastiness that you would expect after 7 yrs.!

So, my point is, CAN MEAT if you can. It works and is delicious. We used to open a beef jar when we were young, put it in tomato sauce with the spices, pasta and viola!

Just passing it along.

Good luck all!

Now, Back to Bread....

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Almost No Knead Bread. Another from my other forum, on another thread, on another site, Far-Far Away.

ALMOST NO-KNEAD BREAD (aka Crusty Beer Bread)

This is the recipe from cooks Illustrated a number ofyears ago. The original recipe calls for mild-flavored lager and white vinegar. Any beer and any vinegar works. This is a rustic great tasting bread. Easy to make.

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
scant cup water, room temperature
6 tablespoons (3 oz) beer
1 tablespoon vinegar

Stir flour, yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine the water, beer and vinegar and add to the flour mixture. Stir until mixture forms a shaggy ball and incorporates all the dry flour. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 8 to 18 hours, as your schedule permits. (perhaps overnight)

Lay a sheet of parchment paper in a 10 inch skillet and spray with cooking spray. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead 10-15 times. Shape dough into a ball by pulling edges to the middle. Transfer the dough to the parchment lined skillet and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until dough has doubled insize and does not readily spring back when poked with finger, (about 2 hours). Just before placing in overn cut a 1/2 inch deep slice on the top down the middle of the dough.

About 30 minutes before baking, place a 6-8 quart covered Dutch oven into oven and preheat to 500 degrees. Once preheated, using the parchment paper, lift the dough and place it in the Dutch oven. Cover. Reduce the temperature to 425 degrees immediately. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover the pan and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes until bread is golden brown. Remove bread from pan and cool on a rack.

Here is a great link for more 5 minute breads.

www.motherearthnews.com...

Dehydrating:

www.dehydrate2store.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Re-deployment practices are going to change again soon, because the last change is really not helping. What I mean by that is. Our troops are still doing 2 deployments or more with a little longer break in-between rotations. The new rules do not appear to be helping. The suicide rate is up. Prescribed drug use is up (In the field and at home. More reported collateral damage . Many troops are on anti-depression drugs and prescription sleeping pills, in the field.

Some states are considering not re-deploying their national guard troops, if they can. Not to mention no-one is Re-upping after their terms of service, enlistments and officer appointments down. The Military has cut allot of the bonus structure for re-enlistments also. There is still some good bonuses out there, but no one is taking them. Lowest one I seen was 18K .

Before I retired there has been lots talk at the pentagon of pushing for a draft, and to my surprise their getting support on this, more than you think. It's only a matter of time guys. I think a draft could happen this year. Rep. Charles Rangel is correct on this. I don't like the guy, but he is right on the money with his assessment of the troops. I myself considered taking another command, but war takes it's toll.

This phrase will change soon from “ Support out troops” to Support your Nation”

Good luck , Be alert, and keep your head down.

edit on 24-3-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Unless there is a serious depletion of voluntary enlistments for some unexplained reason I have to concur the draft will not be reinstated. If it is so be it bring on the unfortunate lottery.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I wouldn't even allow them to send a letter to my sons. No one in my family will ever be fighting their illegal, crimes against humanity, Anglo Saxon Project, NWO, end game wars.

I suggest people learn to say NO and mean it. Doesn't matter one bit what they threaten. Never give your sovereignity or power way. This is a negative karma dump trying to harm our sons and families before the cyle, trying to stop their progression. Wars and starvation are the big things that turn earth school, into earth prison. You cannot kill other people. Those who are doing "bad" things are younger grades. Older siblings assist younger grades, send light, forgive, and try to help nudge them or heal them, they do not kill them. Our Family above does not harm anyone, but would take on any burden if they could save but for these being our lessons.

The first one, we seem to not get, is not to follow orders, not to give our power away and not to obey. Don't obey.

edit on 24-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join