It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obnoxious Skyline ad is hindering my quest to deny ignorance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I know there is one other thread about ads on here in general but I thought this important enough to get it's own in light of everything that's going on in the world lately. I will link to this in the other thread as well. Mods if you feel you'd like to move this elsewhere go for it.

I have to say, I am very disappointed in ATS for allowing such an invasive, massive and irritating ad on this website. It has been coming up on just about every ATS page I open and every link to another post that I follow. I couldn't even find the tiny close button for quite a while so I waited every time. Sure it doesn't stay up that long, but for every page, that's precious scarce free time that adds up pretty quick.

I've been trying to check in to this site everyday to look for updates on the nuclear meltdown and other happenings in Japan. Canada is in the Jet stream coming from Japan and needless to say I am a little concerned and trying to stay on top of things, and it makes it pretty hard to with that giant hideous ad raping my screen over and over again.

I find it disappointing as it is that there are so many ads on this site, but I understand it helps fund it, so I can generally deal with it but this is taking it way too far. It's a movie for christ's sake, we are in the middle of a global nuclear crisis and this website which claims to deny ignorance is shoving a movie ad in my face. I am rather disgusted. I'm pretty new to posting on here but I expected more from ATS. I really hope this shameful display of advertising gets removed as soon as possible.
edit on 18-3-2011 by 22ndsecond because: spelling error

edit on 18-3-2011 by 22ndsecond because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The event is tragic, but the world has not stopped. Sorry, but a movie will still happen, even if there was a disaster.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

I really didn't say anything about the movie not happening or anything along those lines. They can advertise it the same way they advertise other things on this website, but to have it pop up on every ATS page is way too excessive. I just find it particularly irritating in times of global crisis.
edit on 18-3-2011 by 22ndsecond because: spelling

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 22ndsecond

How does it hinder you then?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Wasting my time. I can only put so much time into this website, and there are a lot of things I would like to read and respond to. This is an unnecessary waste of time. Also very pushy. In the same way that ads on TV should not be louder than the shows, this ad should not be covering up the content of the website. I don't see what is unreasonable about that request.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Well, I dont see anything covering anything else.

Do you have some sort of firewall or something to block them?Im sorry, I thought you just didnt like the ad

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

It seems it doesn't show up as much for everyone, maybe not at all for some people? I'm not sure, I know several other people mentioned it here though www.abovetopsecret.com....
I could probably figure out a way to block it if I were so inclined, I don't think I should have to though, more time and effort, I'll do it if this goes on but I'd rather see ATS not allow such invasive advertising at all. Unnecessary and makes me lose respect for an otherwise good website.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Ah, ok, my bad, I see now
well, hope it quits bothering your screen

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I might be a little bit better with that ad if Skyline wasn't the worst alien invasion movie I've ever seen.

When you make Battle: LA look like it deserves a Best Picture Oscar then you have SERIOUS issues.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Gnarly

ad-blockers are against T&C

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
While very handy for removing annoying ads, I do believe the use of an adblocker program is breaking the T&C of the site.

Hopefully it will go away soon though.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Yeah you get the adds with the free version of ATS, if you had the Pro membership i imagine the adds would'nt be there.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

i just disable my java script then i get no ads..

look out the mod is rollin through

edit on 3/18/2011 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Ad-blocking is an EXTREME violation? I do not agree with not using an ad-blocker. I enjoy having what little RAM I have not being used to have to open up an annoying ad that I don't even want to see in the first place. I also enjoy having script killers because the amount of trackers and such I get from them. I'm done with this site. B&.

top topics

join