It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greetings from Downtown Tokyo: An ATS Member Reports

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Are you at the tokyo train station. I see Roppongi in the back round and that is south correct. Good beach hang out. Well it was at one point. Where are you in tokyo. I have been there alot and I'm very familar. I was all over the map from Ueno to Takasaki to Kashiwa and Noda to the mountians of yonazawa. Nice cherris and Yonazawa beef which is right up there with Kobe.

Good luck and be safe.

I agree in all the crazy stuff going on they are pretty calm and freindly people.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Doing a good job there silent thunder.
I also am in Japan but 300K's from Tokyo and just wanted to let you know if you find some desperate family (or other) that needs to get out please advise and we'll try our best to get them down here.

We have accommodation enough for a family of four and will provide all they need - the very least we can do considering the hospitality I have experienced during my eight years of living here.
I love the Japanese people and there respect for others and anything we can do to help is our pleasure.

Stay safe and keep us in the picture.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
breaking news on BBC NEWS right now..japan lost control of the plant,and prepairing to hand out iodine tablets..and to evacuate all people in a 20 km radius..it dont look good..somthing big has just happen.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/37b0f2f75036.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/484b8bf11e36.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 16-3-2011 by snapperski because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

You.

Are.

Awesome!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Stay safe.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

yeah, I am elated to find no reports of looting or anarchy in the wake of this disaster. the people of Japan are showing the world how to act. meanwhile in America...people will probably be at each others throats soon over some perceived radiation cloud

I uh, I've been browsing over on a Japanese imageboard since a day or 2 after the event., I cant post without a Japanese proxy otherwise I would, not like they'd want an Americans condolences at this time...but even with google's terrible translation I was moved by the sentiments expressed. I've got some snippets of horror stories and people dealing with it the best they can.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ae4704da697.jpg[/atsimg]
but its moving to me and I feel like its my own little record, a window into what people are feeling over there.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Dood
You better be drinkin the Dom Perignon

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Hi Silent.

I just saw they are resorting to using CH47's to coop up water and dump it on the reactor bud. This is bad they are in the last ditch efforts to cool them and so far have been unsuccessful.

I can tell you this method is the worst but only option left to them. Once all the sodium left behing from evaporation contains the rods there will be no stopping the burning process.

you have days to get out my friend. Days.

Good luck and god speed my friend.

I would be on the next flight out of Narita. If a total cataclismic event takes off over there I can gaurentee you may need to get the the us embassy. Here is the latest from the US Embassy..

Events

Press Releases
News Archive
News from Washington
Key ReportsPress Release
A Message to American Citizens from Ambassador John V. Roos
March 16, 2011

Today our hearts remain with our Japanese friends who, after suffering this devastating tragedy just four days ago, have to undertake recovery and reconstruction and address the ongoing nuclear emergency.

We understand that many of you are anxious and have questions in the shadow of the Fukushima emergency, since we are in the midst of a complex, constantly changing, and unpredictable situation. In this fluid situation, our commitment to our citizens is to accumulate accurate information and assess it sufficiently in order to make important judgments.

Since the first reports of trouble with the reactors, American nuclear experts have worked around the clock to analyze data, monitor developments, and provide clear assessments on the potential dangers. While at times we have had only limited access to information, I am personally committed to assuring that our experts have as much access and information as possible, and the necessary resources to understand the situation. I have personally been deeply engaged in these efforts.

After a careful analysis of data, radiation levels, and damage assessments of all units at Fukushima, our experts are in agreement with the response and measures taken by Japanese technicians, including their recommended 20 km radius for evacuation and additional shelter-in-place recommendations out to 30 km.

Let me also address reports of very low levels of radiation outside the evacuation area detected by U.S. and Japanese sensitive instrumentation. This bears very careful monitoring, which we are doing. If we assess that the radiation poses a threat to public health, we will share that information and provide relevant guidance immediately.

The United States will continue to work around the clock to provide precise and up-to-date information supported by expert analysis to ensure the safety and security of our citizens and to help Japan in its time of great need. U.S. citizens in need of emergency assistance should send an e-mail to [email protected] with detailed information about their location and contact information, and monitor the U.S. Department of State website at travel.state.gov.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Silent Thunder, I am new here. I really appreciate your firsthand account, including pictures and statements regarding the overall atmosphere of the people there. There really isn't enough in the MSM about that. Something that is putting me off though is the "Opulence, I has it" kind of statements laced throughout your posts. Yes, you've made it painfully clear that you have money but is it really kind to keep harping on it when there are thousands of people newly homeless right now where you are?
edit on 16-3-2011 by Daemonite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thunder,

can you actually measure the radioactivity?
I have heard it was rising a few hours ago.
Hope you have your GM counter turned on.

Please post about the situation. I heard 100 mS which must have been the spike.
Mr. Kan does not seem to be entirely forthcoming on this issue.

On the other hand, thank you for this extraordinary news.
It is interesting that we should be on top of this on ATS with you right in the middle of the action...
I just hope Tokyo does not have to be evacuated.

And, it is noteworthy how disciplined and well-organized Japanese people are in general.
Starting from the fact that in any other densely populated place on Earth, millions would have died in an earthquake and a tsunami like this, not thousands.

Japan has different architecture, regular drills, and a less egocentric approach in many ways, as far as I can tell from afar.
Still, hysteria aside, I think this old style NPP should have been closed down last year.
There are hundreds of others in Japan without any problems.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Dear Sir,
All I can say is be safe, thank you for the information, pictures and such.

I like many others here can only implore you to reconsider and leave now before it is too late, that being said 650 count cotton sheets and champagne do sound very nice.

Regards,
T

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Damn, it indeed looks like something is going down. To bad. Hopefully it won't be to big of a thing since Japan is such a great country with such great people and such great development. Hopefully it doesn't get lost...

And good luck to you! Hope you come out of this safely!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

there is one Tweet I've been following... Matt

he's even keeping people posted on current rad levels in Downtown Tokyo

WilliamFlanagan It's snowing outside, and we're southwest of Tokyo. Our hearts go out to those sheltering (and especially without shelter) up north.
5 minutes ago via web
Retweeted by Matt_Alt and 5 others .Ambulance just showed up on my street. Apparently it's just a "normal" medical emergency, though. Hope the neighbor is all right.
4 minutes ago via web .@morgsatlarge It was a calm, reasoned paper and I personally appreciated it. Sorry for not "de-harshing" the retweet text!
5 minutes ago via web in reply to morgsatlarge
.@morgsatlarge I completely agree this is no Chernobyl and that many of the points were (are) correct, but felt obliged to mention concerns.
10 minutes ago via web .@astrange_e @morgsatlarge I apologize for re-tweeting without comment (darn char limit!) but wanted people to know questions had been raised
15 minutes ago via web .RT @hayano @Matt_Alt People who want to follow me can copy & paste in Google Translator translate.google.com...#
25 minutes ago via web .@hayano Thank you for what you are doing. I am a translator and will try to translate your tweets. Please keep it up! Thanks again.
27 minutes ago via web in reply to hayano
.Sorry for not mentioning sources earlier. One of my main ones is Ryugo Hayano (@hayano), physicist at Tokyo U. (all Japanese lang, tho.)
35 minutes ago via web .As of right now the actual status of these rods is not clear. Will tweet when I learn anything.
about 1 hour ago via web .The issue isn't criticality or chain reactions, but rather the fear that boil-off could cause damage to the rods, and release of material.
about 1 hour ago via web .Main issue as of this morning is status of spent fuel rods in all of the reactors that are sitting in cooling ponds, not in containment.
about 1 hour ago via web .Unicornkikanjyu Chuo line is running beautifully. Much thankful!!!
about 1 hour ago via Echofon
Retweeted by Matt_Alt and 3 others .Elevated rad levels in Toyko as of this morning, but still too low to cause any actual harm. Nerve-wracking but not dangerous at this point.
about 1 hour ago via web

http://twitter.com/matt_ALT

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thank you for your report, Silent Thunder.

With all due respect, I think it is important for you to remember that you are presently in an area of potentially damaging radiation. This is extremely serious if it even made the MSM (and it has been serious all along). I would evacuate were I to be in your situation. Kobe beef and champagne sound tempting, but safety and not being in a zone of danger sound better.
edit on 16/3/11 by gildedlily because: addition at end

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Google translator is lame

You need to use Ortsbo real time translator, it works with twitter too

No copy and past, all real time translation

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
It just so happens that old Silent Thunder, having a taste for trouble of all sorts, happens to be in Tokyo for a bit.

I am fine...far better than most, actually, considering the luxurious appointments of which I have availed myself for this jaunt.

I will be staying here for awhile unless the radiation truly gets unbearable.

edit on 3/15/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

I just love your caravel manner. Just curious when you will consider radiation to truly get unbearable? When your nuts fall off or what?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Its to bad you had to go to the lengths you did to gain credibility here on ATS(dam trolls)....

but we are happy you did friend, makes things real

Do what you need to do to stay safe....if you need a place to regroup, look me up.

Philippines.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ADUB77

I think ole Ryugo Hayano (@hayano), physicist at Tokyo U.
knows more about Physics rather then current tech savvy stuff
but thanks for the heads up will give it a try

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HollowJacket

Yes they show the whole world how civilized and humble they are. If it was the U.S.A I think there would be worse riots than in 1992 or 1999 when people thought the world would end. If I found some time then I would gladly spend time helping the stricken areas as much as I could, If there's one place I would want to die it would be in Japan. It's funny how I sorta fell for South Korea a few days before this happened.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Hi, wow.....

Firstly you are clearly quite mental

Secondly if your Geiger counter starts registering rapidly increasing high levels of radiation how long does that give you to get out or to a safe place?

Thirdly I know you said that your not comfortable with a camera but take lots and lots of photographs please! One of the things that I really like about your thread (and I bet I'm not alone) is seeing 'real' photographs of the area and not just pictures released by the press.

Fourthly take care and thank you for an unprecedented and fascinating grounds eye view!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join